Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

indigoflowAS

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, OH
Not being able to control that thing w/ one hand would be really sketchy, and letting go the ubiquitous scroll wheel, which is a proven interface, would be really unfortunate. I'm willing to say that this may be Apple covering some of its bases from other manufacturers...while Apple continues w/ something resembling the virtual scroll wheel mockups we've seen.

Compile 'em all

macrumors 601
Apr 6, 2005
neilson31 said:
Could it be that Apple is going to release this new video iPod after Zune so it can steal MS's thunder?....

What do you guys think?

Zune never had a thunder to begin with. I am really interested in seeing what
is going to happen if Apple drops the Clickwheel from their upcoming iPod.

prady16

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2006
Right There --->
Touch sensitive bezel is good, but it lacks the novelty and simplicity of a click wheel which is one of the main reasons why iPod was such a hit!
Lets wait and watch!

Geoffrey Grike

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2006
Celebration, FL
This will not replace our current 'music' iPod

Keep in mind that Apple probably realizes that the current 'music' iPod can't evolve into a 'video' iPod without giving up so much that we love with it now. They realize that if they are going to make a true video iPod the ergonomics will have to change. The screen will have to be bigger. The device will have to be bigger. It will have to be heavier (mostly for strong battery).

When they realized that this new video device can't replac the current iPod because of the compromises that it required, they began to rethink the whole device. But when they did this, they also began to think "What else can this little bugger do?".

There have been so many rumors about the added functionality of this device and I believe that Apple has played around with them all, getting rid of many and keeping only a few. They are finally locked down on its new features and are working (or hopefully already done) on the new way to interact with this device. I have little doubt that the interface, once we see it, will be that same old "Why didn't we think of this before" kind of thing. The question I keep asking myself is what the NEW features will be. I don't think it will be just video.

Some new features I would like are: Wireless for Internet access (either WiFi for cellular), clean way for inputting text (for Calendar, e-mail, web surfing, etc.), eBook reading (possible new category for the iTunes Store with both purchase and subscription), and if they can get the device small enough a phone.

I think that Steve gave us hints with this when he said recently that he was as proud of the products that they didn't release as the ones that they have. I think that they had tried to make an upgraded Video iPod to replace the current line but ultimately came to the conclusion that the changes they were trying to make spoiled what we like about it in the first place. It was then decided that this Video iPod was going to be a new category.

So don't worry about loosing the wheel, or the compactness of your iPod. It's not going away. This isn't the device we are talking about.

age234

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2004
ddma said:
Would that be possibly that Apple is trying to patent as many as possible user interface/method so that no one can get anything closer to the REAL video iPod?
I think that's a much more likely possibility. It's smart to patent anything you invent, even if you have no intention of using it for anything.

Chris Bangle

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2006
UK
I find the interface of this thing more interesting the the button thing... This must be the interface of the future because the menu system on the present ipods, i know its brilliant but its a bit old, by the way its more remote control than ipod, i think theres too much info on the screen for it too be an ipod... i reckon its a media remote control thing.. The patent doenst mention ipod so i think its a remote for bringing music to the living room... im probably wrong but thats what i think.. Anyway ive been waiting for touch screen not touch sides...

Chris Bangle

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2006
UK
age234 said:
I think that's a much more likely possibility. It's smart to patent anything you invent, even if you have no intention of using it for anything.

I agree with you 100% remember ipod mini in the laptop thing, also side lighting on the macs etc..... there are hundreds and hundreds of unused apple patents

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Chris Bangle said:
I find the interface of this thing more interesting the the button thing... This must be the interface of the future because the menu system on the present ipods, i know its brilliant but its a bit old, by the way its more remote control than ipod, i think theres too much info on the screen for it too be an ipod... i reckon its a media remote control thing.. The patent doenst mention ipod so i think its a remote for bringing music to the living room... im probably wrong but thats what i think.. Anyway ive been waiting for touch screen not touch sides...

Sorry Chris but you're not allowed to criticise any industrial design. Ever. I still blame you for turning BMWs into swamp-donkeys. :p ;)

And iDrive - you've got some 'splaining to doooo.

craigiest

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2004
Chimera said:
Definately not as intuitive as a scroll whell

I don't think the iPod is so intuitive. I think people have just gotten used to it. I remember when I first picked one up: Running my finger in a circle to go up and down seemed strange. Pressing the bottom button to go right in the menu system seemed plain unintuitive. This bevel system looks more intuitive to me, although I'm not sure it would be easier to use.

countach

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2006
ddma said:
Would that be possibly that Apple is trying to patent as many as possible user interface/method so that no one can get anything closer to the REAL video iPod?

I think there's a lot of truth in this.

The idea in this patent looks VERY intuitive to me, but it does fall down in being usable one-handed.

Nobody knows what Apple will actually come out with, nor when they will do it. It wouldn't surprise me if Apple take another 9 months to release the "true" video ipod. They've got some difficult engineering to do!

craigiest

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2004
thefunkymunky said:
Anyone else know why the scroll bar in the diagram is on the left? Should'nt it be on the right hand side of the screen?:confused:

Because the bevel on the right size is used for item selection.

Leoff

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2004
Touch sensitive frame, looks cool...

Holds promise for the "true" video iPod...

But JEBUS CHRUST, look at those song selections! "Hot Night?" "Amanda?"

"On the Dark Side?!?"

CEAbiscuit

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2006
The Kitchen
Let's hope they are trying to patent multiple ideas. I hate to say it, that looks just plain ugly and complicated. I love the ipod for is it's simpllicity. This looks like a mess. To each his/her own.

RichP

macrumors 68000
Jun 30, 2003
Motor City
CEAbiscuit said:
Let's hope they are trying to patent multiple ideas. I hate to say it, that looks just plain ugly and complicated. I love the ipod for is it's simpllicity. This looks like a mess. To each his/her own.

I agree. This is Apple covering possible bases so the competition cannot implement it. This is all part of the patent game.

No way would Apple use soft buttons! They are, generally, anything BUT intuitive.

slidingjon

macrumors member
Mar 3, 2005
Coralville, Iowa
I think this patent could be used for several things that aren't the iPod.

1. A universal remote for iTV and FrontRow (that would function somewhat like SallingClicker).

2. Perhaps for use in an Ultra Portable? This is such a small, niche market that I doubt Apple getting involved in it at this time, but I would think that holding a machine with both hands and using your thumbs on the bezel instead of a joystick could be great. It would be faster and more convienient than a touch screen.*

3. New touch-sensitive bezel on iPod shuffle. Ok, that is just ridiculous. I said several above and I didn't want to change that to 2.*

metooplease

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2006
somehow reminds me of the Siemens SX1. I own that phone and you REALLY have to get used to typing SMS etc.
And as stated earlier, it's pretty hard to use it with only one hand.
sx1.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.