Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slffl

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2003
Seattle, WA
I knew they would think of something better than on-screen touch controls. That just wouldn't be good for nobody. This approach seems very good. I'm sure there will be something specific that has to happen in order for the buttons to activate as not to be activating them all the time while just holding it.

tk421

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2005
Los Angeles
Geoffrey Grike said:
Keep in mind that Apple probably realizes that the current 'music' iPod can't evolve into a 'video' iPod without giving up so much that we love with it now. They realize that if they are going to make a true video iPod the ergonomics will have to change.

That makes a lot of sense to me! This would be a new type of iPod while still retaining the current iPod models, much like when the Mini came out. They design one device for music and another for movies. Both can do both things, but each one is designed to do one or the other best.

bartelby said:
I want a large capacity (100GB+) audio iPod. No movies, no photos, no games. A black and white screen and a long battery life.

I hope they do keep moving forward with "audio" iPods. That said, I do like the color screen. Biggest reason: album covers!

IlluminatedSage

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2000
most people don't believe that microsoft has any Zune thunder to be stolen.

The other night i was out having drinks with a friend from Microsoft, he said that they lost over $4 Billion Dollars on the first Xbox system, that doesnt include money from the new xbox 360 they are losing at the start.

makes you wonder how much they are going to lose on the Zune. Seems like Microsoft wants to release the product for no good reason. except maybe to screw with Apple.

vi2867

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2006
Eastvale, CA
You know the LG Chocolate for Verizon has that type of technology...

279913340_66258df476.jpg

You can't see the buttons, but on the bottom left and right corners, there are touch sensitive buttons.

I tested it at the Verizon store.

lorien

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2006
Oslo, Norway
Anyone know what the button 914 on the top right of the "vPod" screen is meant to signify in Figure 17? Could it be WiFi signal strength?
Picture5.jpg

brepublican

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2005
NY
vi2867 said:
You know the LG Chocolate for Verizon has that type of technology...

279913340_66258df476.jpg

You can't see them, but on the bottom left and right corners, there are touch sensitive buttons.

I tried it at the Verizon store.
Buttons you say eh? Hmm :rolleyes:

MongoTheGeek

macrumors 68040
thefunkymunky said:
Anyone else know why the scroll bar in the diagram is on the left? Should'nt it be on the right hand side of the screen?:confused:

Obfuscation. Patent drawings aren't usually drawings, in order to make it difficult to reproduce.

As for other things to add. Some sort of orientation sensor so that the image changed from landscape to portrait as its rotated. Text to speech for books, or at the very least build it into itunes.

I like the idea of being able to sync the metadata back and forth. I try to rate all of my songs so that I can shuffle through the ones that I like and don't have to listen to the ones I couldn't bring myself to delete.

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
I hope there is a click wheel.
Hopefully a physical one. Maybe is a slide panel with a click wheel like the newest phones.
I don't know. It would be interesting to see how easy to use and interesting this product will be.
I'll hold my excitement until I see one and try.

Seasought

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2005
ziwi said:
...maybe it is for the iPhone and not the iPod video...

I hope so. While the prospect of new iPods using this type of technology interests me, I doubt I'll buy one given that I already own two.

Me want iPhone. :D

MongoTheGeek

macrumors 68040
bdj21ya said:
Yeah, the AppleInsider article provides quite a bit more detail.

including the orientation sensor that I mentioned...

Taking things a bit further, Apple said the electronic device "may be capable of rotation and may have an orientation sensor for determining the orientation of the device." Based on the sensed orientation, the areas on the bezel designated for the user controls could then be altered or relocated to match the current orientation. Likewise, the company said, the user interface software operating on the device can alter the location of the visual guides to match the current position of the areas on the bezel designated for the user controls.

CEAbiscuit

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2006
The Kitchen
Even after reading the article, I think I'll stick with my Nano and my Portable DVD player.:cool: Too much "runnin around" going on with that "thing." Oh WAIT.. my PB plays videos! Issue solved.

Chris Bangle

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2006
UK
So you cant really touch the front of this thing coz it will do something...... I cant really put it in my pocket, especially if the hold button isnt physical...

MarcelV

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2004
arn said:
the click wheel would presumably be a "virtual" one that appears on the screen.

I don't think a touch bezel would preclude the use of a touch screen also.

Arn, based on the AppleInsider article, and Fig. 13C in the filing, you seem to be correct.

next Tuesday, right? :)

gauriemma

macrumors member
May 4, 2004
Am I the only one out there who's just not all that excited about the idea of a "Video" iPod? I like the iPod. I've had one since about three weeks after they first came out. It's a great music player. I don't want the entire thing to be a screen. The new 80GB models should hold me for quite a while, thank you.

vi2867

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2006
Eastvale, CA
Chris Bangle said:
So you cant really touch the front of this thing coz it will do something...... I cant really put it in my pocket, especially if the hold button isnt physical...

That's exactly why I decided not to buy the Chocolate...

The buttons were just too sensitive. I was hitting pause and play, pause and play, and I didn't even notice I was hitting any buttons...:(

gauriemma

macrumors member
May 4, 2004
bdj21ya said:
Also, does anyone else think it's weird that these fingers actually look like fingers?!? In a patent drawing?:eek:

I think it's weird that they misspelled the word "friends" in the drawings.

tk421

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2005
Los Angeles
Chris Bangle said:

There could still be a physical hold button. The drawing only shows the front face, not the top or bottom. Obviously the headphone jack and dock port will be on the top or bottom. What's the point of a hold button if it isn't physical anyway??

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
You have to read the AppleInsider to get the full story. Automatic brightness settings... motion detection...

"For example," Apple said, "the touch sensitive bezel can be used to sense touch gestures, such as touch and drag operations, made by the user. Using the touch gestures, a user can perform a number of user controls, such as move portions of an image that are being displayed, move a curser to drop and drag visual elements displayed scroll up and down through a screen, skip through images in an album or series of images, adjust the setting or value of a user control, or perform similar operations."
Move a cursor? mini-OS X? ;)
pantent-tsbezel-102606-6.jpg

Wow! This one looks like it could be a tablet if the hand is drawn to scale:
pantent-tsbezel-102606-7.jpg

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
mazola said:
But what do the Chinese characters mean?

They're shorthand for the website where they downloaded the colour bars for the LCD screen test.

atp

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2004
kainjow said:
You have to read the AppleInsider to get the full story. Automatic brightness settings... motion detection...

Move a cursor? mini-OS X? ;)
pantent-tsbezel-102606-6.jpg

I want one! Credit card is ready :D
Freinds ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.