Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

radioking

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2012
I'm new to the MacBook world, but could recent discounts indicate what we might get the 24th? The 15 inch has been on sale everywhere for $1799 for a couple weeks now. Could the 13 inch Pro and Airs get Broadwell and slight price cuts, say $50-100, and the 15 get a new retail price of $1799 or $1899? This could make room for the retina Air in the price ladder. So it would look like this:

11 inch Air - $800
13 inch Air - $900
12 inch retina Air - $1100
13 inch Pro - $1200-1300
15 inch Pro - $1799

I just bought a 15 but will be getting a 13 if refreshed this week.

Last edited:

Woochoo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2014
But what is apple planning on doing with the 13" air? Kill it off? :confused: Every single rumor just mentions the 12" model and also, they mention core M , no i5 :(:(

I suppose 13" Air will still continue if they do that silent revamp expected to happen the end of this month. About the rMBA, that's why Apple might go Core M, to differentiate it from a 13" rMBP which then will be more powerful.

There is a chance we could see a silent upgrade if the rumors are true.

The rumors are a minor upgrade in the MBAirs with Broadwell i5 & i7, and HD6000, nothing related to rMBP's which have different processors (28 & 45W) and different graphic cards (supposedly Iris 6100 & Iris Pro 6200). But who knows, rumors are just rumors.

gpat

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2011
Italy
But what is apple planning on doing with the 13" air? Kill it off? :confused: Every single rumor just mentions the 12" model and also, they mention core M , no i5 :(:(

They'll probably kill the 11 first and keep the 13 for a couple of years before replacing it with something else than the 12" rMBA

Cancelled
Feb 17, 2008
Hello,

Any chance there will be a new 13" MacBook pro with 4 core cpu? I've been holding out on buying because the 15 is just too big to carry around.

I need the laptop for my day job (software development).

enoC

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2009
Denmark
Hello,

Any chance there will be a new 13" MacBook pro with 4 core cpu? I've been holding out on buying because the 15 is just too big to carry around.

Have you tried using a 15" for your work?

Woochoo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2014
Hello,

Chances are very low, it would cannibalize the 15" and there would be no differentiation between them (appart from the screen size).

boombox15

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2013
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
What are the chances of a new MacBook Pro on February 24? If there is no new model that day, I'll buy one but I am not going to buy one now and have a new one come out in 2 days. Thanks!

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2013
What are the chances of a new MacBook Pro on February 24? If there is no new model that day, I'll buy one but I am not going to buy one now and have a new one come out in 2 days. Thanks!

I think a wwdc launch is more likely for both mba and mbp

Woochoo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2014
I think a wwdc launch is more likely for both mba and mbp

Well if rumours are correct, in the 24th February there will be a minor bump of 11" and 13" Airs with new Broadwell processors (upgrade from their actual respective models) and with HD6000 GPU's. Appart from that, nothing else. A new MBA (the supposed 12" rMBA) and MBP's are more probable to come out on summer, or Q4 2015 if Apple goes straight to Skylake with the MBP's.

lewdvig

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2002
South Pole
They killed the 17, I could see them killing the 15.

I would be shocked if they release a 15 with dGPU. Of course that is what I am in the market for. Just give me the latest i7 and a 960m (still gm107 but whatever). An extra mPCIe slot would be great too, but let's not get greedy eh?.

Apple has turned into the iPhone company, it seems even a simple HW upgrade to the latest CPU/GPU/RAM is too much for them to be bothered with.

Woochoo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2014
They killed the 17, I could see them killing the 15.

Dunno if you are being sarcastic, but they killed the 17 because at the time they made retina displays, they weren't able to follow that rule with a 17" screen (technical limitations), not because Apple hates big screens or any other reason. It won't probably come back, but neither Apple will get rid of the 15", since it would kill the Macbook Pro gamma (the actual 13" MBP performs almost the same as the Airs, the only big difference is the retina screen).

Apple has turned into the iPhone company, it seems even a simple HW upgrade to the latest CPU/GPU/RAM is too much for them to be bothered with.

Totally agree.

Brittw1

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2014
http://www.newseveryday.com/articles/9432/20150223/macbook-pro-2015-release-date-rumors-update-next-version-expected.htm

This article says June also. I'd be suprised but keeping my fingers crossed.

ApoorvPrem

macrumors regular
Dec 25, 2011
India
I think people should go for current Macbook Pro since the next refresh is as predictable as South Africa in the world cups. They are good enough.

enoC

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2009
Denmark
I have not. I'm sure I can work on it the thing is I much rather carry 13" than the 15".

The size is obviously different, and so is the weight. But it is only 1 pound more on the 15" vs the 13" Macbook Pro Retina.

Are you going to use the macbook for anything else then software development?

dudeslife

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2011
I just bought an SSD to make my mid 2010 macbook pro last until the next refresh. with rumors of skipping broadwell and going straight to skylake and the refresh possibly delaying until closer to the end of the year, a $250 upgrade made sense for me. I am hoping the drag down of performance I am feeling will be erased with the SSD.

Codeseven

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2008
I just bought an SSD to make my mid 2010 macbook pro last until the next refresh. with rumors of skipping broadwell and going straight to skylake and the refresh possibly delaying until closer to the end of the year, a $250 upgrade made sense for me. I am hoping the drag down of performance I am feeling will be erased with the SSD.

I was on the verge of doing the same thing with my aging and slowing late 2008 MBP. But I'm trying to hold off on putting any 'more' (maxed out the memory to 8Gb) money into such an outdated machine. It's still hanging in there despite a cracked display, swollen battery, almost useless track pad, faulty Superdrive and a dead USB port. On top of all that, after years of use it's gotten downright ugly :)

It's probably just psychological but I don't want anything to do with Broadwell. In my mind (and maybe many others by now) it's become such a minor sounding upgrade from the previous chip. Skylake however, sounds like the future, I wan't it!

Hang in there my ol' 2008 friend, come on Skylake!!!

Woochoo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2014
I was on the verge of doing the same thing with my aging and slowing late 2008 MBP. But I'm trying to hold off on putting any 'more' (maxed out the memory to 8Gb) money into such an outdated machine. It's still hanging in there despite a cracked display, swollen battery, almost useless track pad, faulty Superdrive and a dead USB port. On top of all that, after years of use it's gotten downright ugly :)

It's probably just psychological but I don't want anything to do with Broadwell. In my mind (and maybe many others by now) it's become such a minor sounding upgrade from the previous chip. Skylake however, sounds like the future, I wan't it!

Hang in there my ol' 2008 friend, come on Skylake!!!

You can always put a 100$ SSD (250GB aprox) and resist some more months till the end of the year, and then use that SSD with an external case (USB 3.0 will give almost the full read/write speeds of the SSD) for your new MBP. That technically wouldn't be "wasting money on it" since you would take profit of the invested money in your new Mac.

Like others here, I also spent 100$ for a 250GB SSD to resist this last year with my 2010 MBP. Will also buy a new battery to make it more appealing when I sell it, since it's the only thing in it that is f*cked up.

Last edited:

Codeseven

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2008
You can always put a 100$ SSD (250GB aprox) and resist some more months till the end of the year, and then use that SSD with an external case (USB 3.0 will give almost the full read/write speeds of the SSD) for your new MBP. That technically wouldn't be "wasting money on it" since you would take profit of the invested money in your new Mac.

Thats actually I good suggestion. Since external storage is always nice to have and USB 3.0 enclosures are also relatively cheap.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.