Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Airboy1466

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2015
Broadwell Macbook Pro

So i learned today that the new Broadwell chip will not be a significant change to the current Haswell

The facts:

Battery Life increased by 90 minutes- that's not much of a change from 2013 9 Hours to 10.5 hours

Real sense 3D- Basically updated gesture control ( More of a benefit for windows PC)

Voice assistant- Hardly anyone uses voice assistant these days

Will anyone be upgrading to the new Broadwell chips from there current Hasswell based on this new information?

I certainly wont not enough improvements will be waiting on intels next big release.

Source: http://http://www.itpro.co.uk/mobile/22111/intel-broadwell-release-date-macbook-air-will-use-5th-gen-core

crsh1976

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2011
Broadwell is the die shrink and refinement of Haswell, it was never going to be the next big thing - that's what Skylake and its new architecture are for.

ApoorvPrem

macrumors regular
Dec 25, 2011
India
So i learned today that the new Broadwell chip will not be a significant change to the current Haswell

The facts:

Battery Life increased by 90 minutes- that's not much of a change from 2013 9 Hours to 10.5 hours

Real sense 3D- Basically updated gesture control ( More of a benefit for windows PC)

Voice assistant- Hardly anyone uses voice assistant these days

Will anyone be upgrading to the new Broadwell chips from there current Hasswell based on this new information?

I certainly wont not enough improvements will be waiting on intels next big release.

Source: http://http://www.itpro.co.uk/mobile/22111/intel-broadwell-release-date-macbook-air-will-use-5th-gen-core

I think I will upgrade from Late 2011 13 to a Haswell 15 inch with Integrated GPU. Easily the most stable of the lot.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
You shouldn't expect major gains year over year, but you might notice that Apple likes to phase in their own improvements on years when performance gains are modest.

dusk007

macrumors 68040
Dec 5, 2009
With battery life numbers it always depends on the testing pocedure. I never get what Apple claims because my average load is just higher on average unless all i do is code in an editor.
Broadwell shows among already released notebook quite significant gains but Apple's low load already 12h specced notebooks won't see that much increase. In reality it might be more for any slightly more realistic work load.

The Dell XPS 13 leaves the Air in the dust in battery life despite similar size batteries and much higher resolution screens and being the size of a 11.5" air. The 1800p is almost equal and the 1080p beats the Air by a long shot.

The real question will be the dGPU for the 15" anyway. Whether there is one or not. If there is the 950M is a so much faster than the 750M it is just pathetic that a 2000$+ notebook still sells with something so weak. The difference is what you usually see over two or three generations.

Personally I never see the reason to upgrade unless the current tech is two years old. So for anybody with a current haswell notebook waiting for skylake at the least but more likely another generation.

crsh1976

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2011
Interest news released 2 days ago, Broadwell at 14nm is 30% more energy efficient than Haswell. :eek:

http://news.softpedia.com/news/14nm...e-Efficient-than-Haswell-in-Demo-382323.shtml

So to summarize. The Broadwell MBP will have:
- 100% faster GPU performance from NVIDIA
- 30% more energy efficient CPU than Haswell (thus alot more efficient than Ivy Bridge )
- Thunderbolt 2.0
- Possible DDR4 if we are lucky.

This is the MBP you are looking for, not Haswell with integrated graphics.

That article was published in September 2013...

SurferMan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2010
South FL
Interesting as may add another desktop, still not sure about Macs. Want to get another MBP to replace my 2010 13" thats still going strong with upgrades and SSD, but rumors are all over the place, be odd if other stuff is getting Skylake while Apple goes Broadwell... then again, it is Apple we're talking about :rolleyes: lol.

May just say f' it and get another one right now and just wait a year to see what happens, as who knows what or when Apple will be releasing new updates, could be summer could be later this year.

Gildarts

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2014
http://www.vcpost.com/articles/4412...e-welcomes-intels-skylake-chipset-reveals.htm

:eek::eek:

----------

http://www.itworld.com/article/2886366/intel-reportedly-delays-release-of-skylake-cpus.html

And its delayed to August.

Meaning two things -

MacBooks will have Skylake and not broad well.

They won't be coming before end 2015.

The delays are only for the Desktop Skylake cpu's. Mobile cpus (laptops) are coming first (june) and the delaying of the Desktop versions just confirms, or rather adds to the suspicion, that Skylake will be coming for the new MacBooks.

Also the delay, again for just the desktop CPUs, sets the introduction period from august to oktober which would be in time for the new fall iMacs.

Broadwell is pretty much a DAO product.

All of the current Mac computers are running ancient Haswell CPU's.
Broadwell will not be enough to satisfy new costumers and it will not make for pretty spec bump graphs in Apple's next keynote.

Skylake is coming, en of story.

There are very few Broadwell laptops currently out there as it is and that is not likely to change. Computex 2015 will not evolve around Broadwell. That was last year.

2015 is Skylake year.

Last edited:

Flabasha

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2011
Yeah, I've given up on replacing my (somehow so far Radeon-gate-less) late-2011 15", at least until Skylake, for numerous disappointing reasons...

1. The current 15" GPU (750m) in many tests benchmarks the same or WORSE than the GPU in my 2011 (6770m). This is astonishing to me, but it's true.

2. Broken CUDA drivers in Yosemite and Mountain Lion. I'm a professional editor, and I was going to use Adobe Premiere on a new Macbook Pro - but there are countless reports of catastrophic glitching and kernel panics using the Adobe Suite with the current NVIDIA cards. Apple says it's NVIDIA, NVIDIA says it's Adobe, all I need to know is, it doesn't work. Again, my 3 1/2 year old laptop is better at running my software than a brand new flagship laptop.

3. The SSD is currently unreplaceable by third party vendors. So I'd have to way overpay for Apple's SSD.

I want to hand Apple thousands of dollars in cash, but I realized I'm better off with my three-year old, Radeon-gate doomed MPB. Which is free.

That's a giant Fail for Apple, in the eyes of this consumer.

Gildarts

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2014
Yeah, I've given up on replacing my (somehow so far Radeon-gate-less) late-2011 15", at least until Skylake, for numerous disappointing reasons...

1. The current 15" GPU (750m) in many tests benchmarks the same or WORSE than the GPU in my 2011 (6770m). This is astonishing to me, but it's true.

2. Broken CUDA drivers in Yosemite and Mountain Lion. I'm a professional editor, and I was going to use Adobe Premiere on a new Macbook Pro - but there are countless reports of catastrophic glitching and kernel panics using the Adobe Suite with the current NVIDIA cards. Apple says it's NVIDIA, NVIDIA says it's Adobe, all I need to know is, it doesn't work. Again, my 3 1/2 year old laptop is better at running my software than a brand new flagship laptop.

3. The SSD is currently unreplaceable by third party vendors. So I'd have to way overpay for Apple's SSD.

I want to hand Apple thousands of dollars in cash, but I realized I'm better off with my three-year old, Radeon-gate doomed MPB. Which is free.

That's a giant Fail for Apple, in the eyes of this consumer.

This to me is astonishing...

thundersteele

macrumors 68030
Oct 19, 2011
Switzerland

I went through a similar thought process some time ago. The rMBP is a good product, but the performance increase compared to my 2011 MBP was just not enough to motivate the purchase. I bought a 5k iMac instead :)

Btw, I wonder a bit about those benchmarks you mention. Afaik even the integrated Iris Pro GPU beats the 6770M GPUs in most benchmarks - but maybe not in those which are relevant for you?

macbook123

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2006
How quickly will value of current gen RMBPs decay?

How much will I get for a Feb 2015 bought RMBP (the 512 GB SSD one for $2,499) if I sell it say (just guessing) in April when the new laptops are out?

Flabasha

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2011
Btw, I wonder a bit about those benchmarks you mention. Afaik even the integrated Iris Pro GPU beats the 6770M GPUs in most benchmarks - but maybe not in those which are relevant for you?

Novabench has my 3+ year-old card (6770m) scoring 198, and the current 750m scoring 174. Can't post a link, but go to novabench.com, and the "gpu chart".

macbook123

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2006
What makes you think the new laptops will be out in April ?

I think they'll be out very soon. Also there's an Apple Media event on March 9 which was just announced. Maybe they'll do the laptops alongside the watch.

Woochoo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2014
How much will I get for a Feb 2015 bought RMBP (the 512 GB SSD one for $2,499) if I sell it say (just guessing) in April when the new laptops are out?

The problem there might be to find people willing to spend $2,000 or more for a second-handed computer with a CPU released on 2013 and, seeing that Broadwell won't give any massive advandage over yours, I'd stick with it... Because Skylake, which would be the only release this year that would make some difference to yours will probably be out in the end of the year if not later.

macbook123

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2006
The problem there might be to find people willing to spend $2,000 or more for a second-handed computer with a CPU released on 2013 and, seeing that Broadwell won't give any massive advandage over yours, I'd stick with it... Because Skylake, which would be the only release this year that would make some difference to yours will probably be out in the end of the year if not later.

Doesn't Broadwell offer a massive power consumption advantage?

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
I think they'll be out very soon. Also there's an Apple Media event on March 9 which was just announced. Maybe they'll do the laptops alongside the watch.

In other words your'e just guessing. As it stands we don't know when the new models will be out. As for the media event it's quite possible there will be other announcements but I suspect it's primary reason and focus is the release of the Apple Watch in April.

Woochoo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2014
Doesn't Broadwell offer a massive power consumption advantage?

Well, I wouldn't say "massive"
This is what Intel is selling to you, but in the reality we'll see if it traduces to great improvement in battery life. Just see what happened with Haswell (a power efficiency focussed release) after Intel claimed it to have a great power reduction vs Ivy Bridge... Almost the same, just a bit better.

CPU is not the only thing that consumes battery, so reducing 30% of the CPU power consumption doesn't mean having 30% more battery. The display drains most of the battery, since when you need to do heavy tasks for a long, you usually plug your macbook and that moment the power consumtpion stops being so important.

That said, I'd be 99% sure that if a Macbook Pro comes out with Broadwell (if Apple doesn't skipp it forward to Skylake), the only "considerably" better thing it migh carry is the iGPU (and neither a giant improvement over the Iris Pro 5200).

Last edited:

Startseite

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2015
today i bought the rMBP 15" with the Iris Pro...

don't think that apple gonna upgrade the 15" Macbook 'cause atm there is no Broadwell-Quadcore on the market and I don't think Apple will offer an Duo-Cpu Version

perhaps the just gonna update the dGpu and make the 512SSD standart...would be bad for me...i paid the full price...

thunng8

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2006
Novabench has my 3+ year-old card (6770m) scoring 198, and the current 750m scoring 174. Can't post a link, but go to novabench.com, and the "gpu chart".

Never heard of this benchmark before but I did a search and found this result of 319 for the 750m.

https://novabench.com/view/728200

lewdvig

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2002
South Pole
I'm guessing "319" refers to a different test. Here's the link I'm referencing
https://novabench.com/gpuchart.php

Back in the day I upgraded from the 6750 15" to a 650m GT version and the Nvidia was about 40% faster in games and 3dmark06 (9,000 vs 13,000 if I recall).

I've got a 13" rMBP now and want to switch back to a 15" with dGPU so I can dual boot for games. Good thin and light gaming notebooks cost the same as a rMBP. So might as well just have a single device.

I'd be happy with a dGPU refresh right now. A 860m/960m would be enough for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.