Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2008
I think it's pretty good, actually friggin' fantastic, but thats because i'm looking to get rid of my aging 2008 MBP. The question I (and i think many others) have is, will the upcoming Skylake laptops be 'that much' better? i'm willing to continue waiting but only if Skylake is expected to live up to it's hype.

A 2008? Congratulations!!

The longest I've kept a machine is a little over 5 years. I probably would be on a 2014 rMBP if I didn't face encryption issues when I got one at the end of last year.

I'm hoping this refresh will address the encryption issue (hang on setup and never complete even after being plugged in) because I intend to order one soon. I think between the memory speed upgrade and the haptic touchpad, this machine is great in terms of feature set.

I've decided the rMBA is not for me. With the single port it is very limiting. Need an adapter just to be able to use a CD. I predict a boom in Apple's dongle business. Actually, it'll be a boon for best buy's and other such stores as travelers realize they lost/forgot their adapter and need a new one.

Codeseven

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2008
A 2008? Congratulations!!

Thanks. It was a 50th birthday present from my wife (I told her I was switching to Mac's after getting fried on Windows machines).

My ol' 2008 isn't without issues though. The years (and abuse) are showing their toll. Cracked screen, semi-functional Superdrive, broken USB port, swollen battery and semi-functional Track Pad. Not to mention a suspect failing HD causing frequent pinwheels.

Geez I'll be glad to step into the 21st century.

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2008
Thanks. It was a 50th birthday present from my wife (I told her I was switching to Mac's after getting fried on Windows machines).

My ol' 2008 isn't without issues though. The years (and abuse) are showing their toll. Cracked screen, semi-functional Superdrive, broken USB port, swollen battery and semi-functional Track Pad. Not to mention a suspect failing HD causing frequent pinwheels.

Geez I'll be glad to step into the 21st century.

Wow, that's a lot of problems. If I had any of those, I would probably have upgraded. I just don't like having things that are non/partially functional. I definitely would not recommend waiting for skylake!

My 2010 had the battery, SuperDrive, and power supply replaced under warranty and I recently had to buy a new power supply and replace one of the feet. But other than that no issues.

This new French law if it ever gets enacted and takes effect should be interesting for those of us that don't play the upgrade every year game:
http://www.digitaltrends.com/home/france-planned-obsolescence-law/

Devie

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Just for clarification for. Hawke since I don't know much about processors. Is the new processors in the updated rmbp broadwell?

They're intel 5th generation, so yes.

----------

I have a hunch that Apple was busy getting the 12" MacBook ready and didn't have a lot of time to tweak the Airs or Pros. If I had to guess, the Skylake update will probably bring a few design changes - and the Skylake chipset itself might be worth waiting for.

I plan to wait, but mainly because my rMBP is only two years old and I'm still very happy with it.

Apple, with thousands of employees around the world, couldn't find the time to change a laptop design?

This is something that blows my mind with apple. They're so slow at doing anything, yet you look at Dell and the rest and they have no problem. And sure blah blah about engineering.

Also, probably buying a new 13". Not only did we get a price hike, but $400 MORE for going form 128gb to 256gb? What the **** is that?!

augustya

Suspended
Feb 17, 2012
is the 13 inch MacBook Pro that has been announced yesterday does it have the Broadwell CPU ? I don't read it anywhere !! Anyone who can post a link here mentioning that it has a Broadwell CPU. Help would be much appreciated.

Jayayess1190

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2013
is the 13 inch MacBook Pro that has been announced yesterday does it have the Broadwell CPU ? I don't read it anywhere !! Anyone who can post a link here mentioning that it has a Broadwell CPU. Help would be much appreciated.
It does have Broadwell.

mafaky

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2014
Istanbul, Turkey
In Sweden this update meant a 250$ increase in the 13" rMBP price, across the line :(. Would you guys recomend buying the new version or getting the old (cheaper one) from another retailer who still has it in stock?
I'm in dire need of a new computer

I suggest that you get the 2014 model (with Haswell CPUs...), if you can still get hold on one. The main (practical) difference is 9 vs. 10 hrs. battery life and the new kind of trackpad.

----------

Check this link say in a week's time. You should find the amended info there.

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook-air/index-macbook-air.html

ygys

macrumors member
Dec 31, 2014
I suggest that you get the 2014 model (with Haswell CPUs...), if you can still get hold on one. The main (practical) difference is 9 vs. 10 hrs. battery life and the new kind of trackpad.

.....and 2x faster ssd speeds ,faster ram and much improved graphics

AR86

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2014
Is it safe to assume that the 15" rMBP will most likely get an update with broadwell in June? similar type of stuff ie the new trackpad new iGPU/dGPU

radioking

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2012
Is it safe to assume that the 15" rMBP will most likely get an update with broadwell in June? similar type of stuff ie the new trackpad new iGPU/dGPU

I'm guessing they will update as soon as they get the chips from Intel. There's no reason to wait for an event since we already know what the updated version will include.

Codeseven

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2008

If it's Broadwell and not Skylake I'm gonna be bummed, but that may well be true.

nfranklin

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2015
Can you post a link which says that ? I couldn't find one which says it has got Broadwell. There are links which tell about the specs but they don't mention if it is Broadwell or Haswell !

Gonna have to just trust us. Apple doesn't traditionally throw out names of architecture in its tech specs (likely would confuse some folks).

Just know that these have the latest, greatest intel processors. That makes them part of the broadwell family, not the previous haswell family.

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2008

mafaky

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2014
Istanbul, Turkey

I prophesize that it will be 99% safe!... As soon as they can source the quad core Broadwell chips from Intel... (assumed to happen by mid 2015, or latest during the 3rd (early) quarter of 2015...)

My second prophecy regarding 2016 is that rMBP line will continue its way in a totally re-designed footprint, aesthetics, utilising Skylake chips and featuring a number of new features (maybe wireless charging, touch ID, etc.) with enhanced graphics and also with enhanced battery life...(for the assumed 13" model this may reach 12 hrs.) I also prophesize that the 17" version will be re-incarnated. There seems to be a pretty strong demand for the 17" especially in the USA market. With the new footprint, they can make this 17" model slimmer, less bulky and less heavier than its predecessor.

However I'm not too sure what will happen to the 13" rMBP for 22016.

If Apple launches a bigger brother mate of the recently launched slim, sexy and lightweight 12" rMB (say a 14" version), this may take away at least one third of the prospective 13" rMBP buyers; although it will be a less powerful machine than the 13" rMBP. People are now kind of addicted to the "retina screen" but if there's going to be a small/affordable price difference between 14" rMB and 13" rMBP, there will be pretty much confusion. One way to end up this confusion (before it starts...) is to eliminate the 13" rMBP from the rMBP line??? :confused:

Let's wait patiently and see what 2016 will bring!:cool:

sewersurfer

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2014
My second prophecy regarding 2016 is that rMBP line will continue its way in a totally re-designed footprint, aesthetics, utilising Skylake chips and featuring a number of new features (maybe wireless charging, touch ID, etc.) with enhanced graphics and also with enhanced battery life...(for the assumed 13" model this may reach 12 hrs.)

I am in the market for a new 13" rMBP.
Usage will be a lot of office/web etc., but also some (!) gaming. I am not looking for a gaming laptop or anything, just want to leave the door open for some heavier use as well. And I want to use the MB at least for the next 5 years!

Having said that, and not looking for any sort of sure fire predictions, is it realistic to assume that, based on new Intel processors, release cycle etc., within, say, the next year, we will see a huge upgrade for 13" rMBPs (Skylake, added features, new design etc)? Or is this off the table because of the recent update?!

If this is somewhat realistic than I think I will wait and buy the next, really new generation of MacBooks. If not - and the time horizon for a new generation is +1,5 years, I will get one of the recently released ones once they hit the refurb store.

thanks

mafaky

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2014
Istanbul, Turkey
I am in the market for a new 13" rMBP.
Usage will be a lot of office/web etc., but also some (!) gaming. I am not looking for a gaming laptop or anything, just want to leave the door open for some heavier use as well. And I want to use the MB at least for the next 5 years!

Having said that, and not looking for any sort of sure fire predictions, is it realistic to assume that, based on new Intel processors, release cycle etc., within, say, the next year, we will see a huge upgrade for 13" rMBPs (Skylake, added features, new design etc)? Or is this off the table because of the recent update?!

If this is somewhat realistic than I think I will wait and buy the next, really new generation of MacBooks. If not - and the time horizon for a new generation is +1,5 years, I will get one of the recently released ones once they hit the refurb store.

thanks

Don't ask the questions that I cannot fully/truly answer!...;)

I'm not a fortune teller!...

If you were looking for a 15" rMBP, I could possibly give you more concrete answers for the 2016 range of rMBP. But as you are interested only in the 13" model, I have already stated my doubts that it may not exist in 2016. But this is only a gut feel, and depends much on the introduction of a 14" rMB with Skylake in/by mid 2016.

Frankly, a 2016 Skylake based 13" rMBP will certainly be enhanced over the 2015 one; but if you're looking mainly for the battery life it may be enhanced by 1 more hour (11 hrs. versus 10 hrs. of 2015's model...). So buying a refurbished 2015 one may not be a bad idea at all! (if you can waive away that extra 1 hr. advantage and any other enhancements)... Otherwise, you'll need to wait until March-April 2016, if not a bit more, for the Skylake design (assuming it will exist, contrary to my predictions...).

sewersurfer

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2014
Don't ask the questions that I cannot fully/truly answer!...;)

I'm not a fortune teller!...

The post was not just directed torwards you but a general question ;) Everybody feel free to chip in.

Again, I know that nobody can look into the future. I was just curious what general expectations for a new generation of MBs are.

Battery life is not at all a concern for me, I use it mainly at home. Speed is, storage is and since I want to use it for some gaming as well, graphics is too. And new and "exciting" features might be - depending on what they are :D

Oh and timing is a concern as well: If everybody pretty much assumes that in September/October we will get a new generation of MBs than I will certainly wait and "risk" not getting any news at all when the time comes.

vhw

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2010
Norway
I think it's pretty good, actually friggin' fantastic, but thats because i'm looking to get rid of my aging 2008 MBP. The question I (and i think many others) have is, will the upcoming Skylake laptops be 'that much' better? i'm willing to continue waiting but only if Skylake is expected to live up to it's hype.

2009 MBP here. Skipped the last rMBP refresh waiting for Broadwell. There will always be something better down the line so I don't think much about the Skylake update. Compared to the trusty old MBP with Core 2 Duo CPU this upgrade will be quite a difference in terms of performance :)

Joelburman

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2014
2009 MBP here. Skipped the last rMBP refresh waiting for Broadwell. There will always be something better down the line so I don't think much about the Skylake update. Compared to the trusty old MBP with Core 2 Duo CPU this upgrade will be quite a difference in terms of performance :)

Agreeing completely! I'd say that if you're on machines with C2D processors go for it. Having a 2011 i5 I'm awaiting Skylake mostly due to TB3 and USBC ports. If it weren't for them I'd pull the trigger on the Broadwell version.

The only downside with this is that the value of my current MBP will plummet, they still have a fairly good second hand value but the lack of USB3 will be a big disadvantage for the used market next year. Luckily enough my parents are finally willing to take the mac plounge so I'll be donating it to them instead of re-selling it.

emir

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2008
Istanbul

Mid 2010 15" MBP here. I swapped an optibay and a SSD instead of the superdrive at the end of its 3rd year and it has elongated its life so much.

I almost never use the CD port anyway and my Mac is still good enough for my daily needs.(web, heavy office and occasional photoshop, a bit of Kerbal SP) I also kind of like the thickness because my sister has a 13" Air and I try it sometimes at work and thinness cuts into my wrists, feels very unfomcirtable.

I plan on waiting and seeing the lineup by the time skylake is around. I'd love to get a new design with less footprint and a touch id but getting the first gen of a new design is always a bad idea, evidently from first gen rMBP display issues. Assuming 2016 will get Skylake MBP with touch id wireless charging and a new design, I'd have to keep my 2010 til 2017.

First world problems, hah.

P.s. I hope that magsafe is kept by then for power at MBPS. I want the inevitable arrival of USB-C to be for data in/out only. Leave power alone. MagSafe literally saves my Mac's life every single day.

Edit: btw what's my 2010 Mbp processor gen.? I know it is an i5 but Ivy Bridge? Sandy Bridge? Googling comes to no avail about chipset generations

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2008
Mid 2010 15" MBP here. I swapped an optibay and a SSD instead of the superdrive at the end of its 3rd year and it has elongated its life so much.

I almost never use the CD port anyway and my Mac is still good enough for my daily needs.(web, heavy office and occasional photoshop, a bit of Kerbal SP) I also kind of like the thickness because my sister has a 13" Air and I try it sometimes at work and thinness cuts into my wrists, feels very unfomcirtable.

I plan on waiting and seeing the lineup by the time skylake is around. I'd love to get a new design with less footprint and a touch id but getting the first gen of a new design is always a bad idea, evidently from first gen rMBP display issues. Assuming 2016 will get Skylake MBP with touch id wireless charging and a new design, I'd have to keep my 2010 til 2017.

First world problems, hah.

P.s. I hope that magsafe is kept by then for power at MBPS. I want the inevitable arrival of USB-C to be for data in/out only. Leave power alone. MagSafe literally saves my Mac's life every single day.

Edit: btw what's my 2010 Mbp processor gen.? I know it is an i5 but Ivy Bridge? Sandy Bridge? Googling comes to no avail about chipset generations

It's probably Nehalem.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nehalem_(microarchitecture)
Sandy Bridge was only available in January 2011 according to Wikipedia.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.