Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mackan

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
I don't like to bring up old thread's but wow was I close. Shame about the lack of TouchID on the new MacBook(s).

TouchID and improved camera will magically arrive in the next version.

----------

I'm basing my opinion on very obvious facts that we already know. By the time Broadwell CPUs for the 15 are available, Skylake CPUs will be literally weeks away. There is absolutely no logical reason we'll see a Broadwell 15 unless Apple somehow decides to throw the towel in.

In this case I hope you are right. I hope that by Computex SkyLake mobile CPUs are launched, and new rMBP at WWDC using these. However, that would be too good to be true, right...

macguy360

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2011
TouchID and improved camera will magically arrive in the next version.

----------

In this case I hope you are right. I hope that by Computex SkyLake mobile CPUs are launched, and new rMBP at WWDC using these. However, that would be too good to be true, right...

Lol your so right. Apple is like a poor parent that can't give you everything you want for Christmas, but instead makes the next one and the next one just slightly better.

Fthree

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2014
You can't change it a lot ... It is very thin and has a good design ..how you can change it ? If you do it thinner you should change the design of the ports but it would be a bad thing ..one thing they could change is the fan design and the cooling system because as I've read it doesn't work very well and maybe add new colors.
In my opinion they should change the way the battery is inserted in the Mac : it would be better if the battery wouldn't be glued in place ,because is the main component which degrades faster.

Quite the assumptions in dec :)

augustya

Suspended
Feb 17, 2012
Skylake will be the bigger bump in speed from what I am reading. Broadwell will bring mostly battery life and some efficiency. Although, I don't think I can wait that long to replace my aging 2011 MBP.

When you say You can't wait that long do you mean to say for Broadwell or Skylake ? Do you have any Intel ? On further release dates of both of these things !

AR86

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2014
I'm basing my opinion on very obvious facts that we already know. By the time Broadwell CPUs for the 15 are available, Skylake CPUs will be literally weeks away. There is absolutely no logical reason we'll see a Broadwell 15 unless Apple somehow decides to throw the towel in.

I'm going to be honest and say this has confused the hell out of me, I thought Broadwell was going to be available come the summer ie June/July hence my confidence we'd see an announcement about the 15" Pro at WWDC in June with obvious spec upgrades based around the same ones the 13" recently got but with a better dGPU aswell.

In regards to Skylake I thought it was looking more likely for the end of the year/early 2016 which would have put it in line for another release with the 15" Pro ie Broadwell getting a mid 2015 release and Skylake an early 2016 release but I had no idea that Skylake is so close...if this is indeed the case wouldn't it be reasonable to assume the 15" Pro would be announced along with the rumoured iPad Pro and the 5k Imac refresh in an October event?

Tom8

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2010
Hey guys

I've just got my new 13" rMBP and had a question regarding the trackpad, thought it better to post in here rather than starting an unneccesary new topic.

On my old machine i used to have the trackpad set up so that i could either do a two finger click or click in the bottom right, to do a right click, however i can't seem to get this to work on the new machine. Any ideas where I'm going wrong? I've looked in the settings on both machines and they seem to match up, but functionality doesn't

Thanks

LV-16

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2013
If Apple did bring Touch ID to MacBooks, how do you guys think they would incorporate it (physically)?

ZombiePete

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
San Antonio, TX
Hey guys

I've just got my new 13" rMBP and had a question regarding the trackpad, thought it better to post in here rather than starting an unneccesary new topic.

On my old machine i used to have the trackpad set up so that i could either do a two finger click or click in the bottom right, to do a right click, however i can't seem to get this to work on the new machine. Any ideas where I'm going wrong? I've looked in the settings on both machines and they seem to match up, but functionality doesn't

Thanks

Are you trying to get it so that you can do both, or you can't get one or the other working? It seems that you can only use one method at a time, but it's working fine for me. Hopefully I'm understanding what you're asking.

VXRagmg.png

Tom8

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2010
Are you trying to get it so that you can do both, or you can't get one or the other working? It seems that you can only use one method at a time, but it's working fine for me. Hopefully I'm understanding what you're asking.

I was trying to have it set up to do both, so i could do 2 finger tap and also click in the bottom right hand corner. It was working on my old MBP. But I've set BetterTouchTool up to allow it to work now, so problem solved!

kontrast

macrumors member
Dec 16, 2014
Haven't read the last few pages but am I correct in assuming that the 15" MacBook pro will be refreshed with broadwell later this year? Then totally new design with skylake next year?

KenAFSPC

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2012
Haven't read the last few pages but am I correct in assuming that the 15" MacBook pro will be refreshed with broadwell later this year? Then totally new design with skylake next year?
No one knows for sure...but that's probably a good bet.

ct1211

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2012
Michigan
Not very user friendly to put the Touch ID sensor in a button that can force shutdown your Mac if accidentally pressed too hard...
Anyone know if the new force touch pad has ability to read anything other than touch pressure? Might be a way to accomplish touch ID on the computers.

mikeo007

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2010
I was trying to have it set up to do both, so i could do 2 finger tap and also click in the bottom right hand corner. It was working on my old MBP. But I've set BetterTouchTool up to allow it to work now, so problem solved!

I remember when they officially introduced that feature somewhere around Snow Leopard. Then it disappeared with Mountain Lion I think, although there were several ways to get it back. BTT is one, and I think there's also a console command to enable it.

Edit: Set it to bottom right hand corner for secondary click, then enter this in terminal to also enable the 2-finger tap. Should let you use both:

defaults -currentHost write -g com.apple.trackpad.enableSecondaryClick -bool YES

Tom8

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2010
I remember when they officially introduced that feature somewhere around Snow Leopard. Then it disappeared with Mountain Lion I think, although there were several ways to get it back. BTT is one, and I think there's also a console command to enable it.

Edit: Set it to bottom right hand corner for secondary click, then enter this in terminal to also enable the 2-finger tap. Should let you use both:

Thanks for the suggestion, but this doesn't seem to be working in Yosemite. I tried running it through terminal and didn't seem to work.

mikeo007

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2010
Thanks for the suggestion, but this doesn't seem to be working in Yosemite. I tried running it through terminal and didn't seem to work.

Odd...I used it in Mavericks but have updated to Yosemite and the changes stuck. Maybe you need to add 'sudo' in front of the command to run it with elevated privileges?

ZombiePete

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
San Antonio, TX
Not very user friendly to put the Touch ID sensor in a button that can force shutdown your Mac if accidentally pressed too hard...

Why not? It's integrated into a button that can send you to the home screen on the iPhone/iPad.

----------

Anyone know if the new force touch pad has ability to read anything other than touch pressure? Might be a way to accomplish touch ID on the computers.

No, it does not.

ct1211

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2012
Michigan
I ordered a 13" 2015 rMBP over the weekend. This morning Apple shows "Preparing for Shipment" on their website with delivery at my local Apple store set for April 6. Has anyone else had to wait two weeks for delivery once shipped? I ordered the i7/16GB/512GB CTO version. I would like to have it before an upcoming convention. Thanks!

charea

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2015
I ordered a 13" 2015 rMBP over the weekend. This morning Apple shows "Preparing for Shipment" on their website with delivery at my local Apple store set for April 6. Has anyone else had to wait two weeks for delivery once shipped? I ordered the i7/16GB/512GB CTO version. I would like to have it before an upcoming convention. Thanks!

I ordered on March 9 and received it today. I'm from France and also ordered a custom version (British keyboard, 1TB SSD..). It was delivered straight from China so a delay of at least 10 days would be normal...

Codeseven

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2008

AR86

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2014
VR-Zone just leaked the quad-core Broadwells and... there are no 47W TDP variants in sight. Which probably means that the current rMBP 15" will go straight to Skylake.

http://wccftech.com/intel-broadwell...pro-graphics-6200-detailed-launching-q2-2015/

Please let that be true. Straight to Skylake, this year (sooner the better), would make me a happy customer. My 2008 MBP is begging to be replaced!

If this is the case I guess we'll have to wait for atleast October for the announcement (about the same time they announced the 5k iMac last year) being it's Skylake, ideally i'd have loved for for them to announce the new one's in at WWDC in June but it's looking unlikely.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.