Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vatter69

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2013
Right Side - USB-A and SD Card. Left side, 2 TB3/USB-C and 3.5 Headphone jack. 1 USB-C used for charging.

Mattsasa

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2010
Minnesota
The current 15" is 0.71 inches tall, so that means at the rear of the laptop we are at minus 0.03". Less space yes, but they could fit a dGPU in there especially if they use a Polaris part with lower TDP than the old Cape Verde part they have in there now. Also, they could make the display assembly thinner, so there may about the same room for cooling after all.

I think that based on the context, Serban means these are the final design for the new Macs, not the final Macs ever.

You're right, I didn't realize the current MBP was already at .71.

Brad9893

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2010
Hiding Under the Genius Bar
If Serban is correct and they did have 2/3 prototypes without USB-A, then chances are they decided to eliminate USB-A. I shudder to think of the backlash that will happen when they release these machines, if this is indeed true. So many people will be complaining.

I wonder what Apple will decide to do with the cables they ship with iPhones. Will they start bundling them with a Lightning to USB-C cable? They probably wouldn't do this since the majority of computers don't have USB C yet, so this might be a poor decision. Yet, I must admit I would be ticked off if I had to buy an extra cable just to plug the device into my MacBook, especially since a 2m Lighting to USB-C cable costs $35! What do you guys think?

Perhaps it might not be such a big deal since syncing your phone with iTunes has gone by the wayside, but I still do it sometimes to get music files onto my phone. (iTunes WiFi sync is extremely unreliable in my opinion, and wired is sometimes the way to go.)

Suspended
Apr 4, 2016
Right Side - USB-A and SD Card. Left side, 2 TB3/USB-C and 3.5 Headphone jack. 1 USB-C used for charging.
best case scenario.

Current display assembly on the pros is really thick when compared to the rMB. i wish most of the height savings come from a new display. also, taper design is a welcome change for all those with bleeding wrists (no emo joke intended)

Last edited:

nicovh

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2015
Nederland
Best case scenario would be having a MagSafe charger that can charge the battery at the same Wattage as over USB-C.

That would be a divine dream come true

Suspended
Apr 4, 2016
bad scenario. no reason to put TB3 there just to charge unit.
Charger will be alone or 4 usb-c
An external monitor with 1 cable that also charges your laptop.
we went from 3 connectors down to 2 when going from miniDP to TB1, now with power delivery we might see it going down to 1. (notice also how the magsafe is rendered completely useless in the 2 scenarios below)
peitsche_apple.jpg screen-shot-2011-07-20-at-8-51-04-am.png
i know, we will miss the magsafe, but it will go, alas.

edit: 2 TB3 ports because that's the limit for alpine ridge controller.

Last edited:

Uni Grad

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2015
Bloomberg News
Really interesting, i have not thought about this. I would also prefer the patent from apple, a MacBook without a keyboard. If they replace the keyboard with a huge force touch keyboard/touchpad it would be really the game changer i have not seen anything really new in the notebook market. Wireless charging would also be dope as fu*k ! Something like a charging pad as a cover to charge the MacBook -> so you don't really need a MagSafe. A option to use the MagSafe would also be great.Think about it, you put the MacBook on your desk and it is already charging without a single cable ! Who the fu*k needs wireless charging for phones ? I don't use my iPhone on the surface of my desk. Just some ideas...
Maybe that's what they're hinting at for the MacBook lineup with a single port. Maybe they'll introduce conductive charging, using a pad of some sorts, and the need for a charging port will diminish.

They'll probably sell it as an extremely expensive accessory though.
[doublepost=1462798193][/doublepost]
Best case scenario would be having a MagSafe charger that can charge the battery at the same Wattage as over USB-C.

That would be a divine dream come true
MagSafe is going to be replaced by the Smart Connector system. They may call it MagSafe 3...but we're all going to be seeing those 3 dots on the new MacBook Pros.

The way I see it. One TB3 port. One traditional USB C port. MagSafe/Smart Connector.
Headphones jack. Yup that's it.

I know it seems radical...but that's where Apple is heading.

Reactions: Macasio and nicovh

viersen

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2014
Ireland
i dont know anything about air, just mbp and mac pro. since apple decide to lock in 1 design from 3 since March i guess is 99.9% for WWDC announcement. We don't know about the shipments quantities if they are ready for masses since June etc

So what do you know about a awaited Mac Pro 7.1? Is it true that an update is coming in June WWDC? Which specs changes are you aware of?
I would appreciate any information given big time! :D

shareef777

Suspended
Jul 26, 2005
Chicago, IL
You could argue that Apple should have used Broadwell, but it's not hard to see why they decided to release without it.

Yeah, higher profit margins. There's nothing else that needed to be changed to go to broadwell. They literally could have kept the same exact agenda/process with Intel to get that chip just changed the SKU to use broadwell. The only change would have been a bigger check that would have to go to Intel. Apple decided their users weren't worth that check.

Reactions: WRONG

ChinkyBob

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2014
we went from 3 connectors down to 2 when going from miniDP to TB1, now with power delivery we might see it going down to 1. (notice also how the magsafe is rendered completely useless in the 2 scenarios below)
View attachment 630605 View attachment 630606

Here is my pure guess.
The new Macbook Pro will have 2 USB-C with TB3 (one one each side of the laptop so you can charge from either side). The Power adapter be a small Hub which will connect with a small usb-c lead to the laptop and itself will host a couple of usb-A / 3.0 ports, hdmi socket, Network socket, and connect to a power out let via a regualr magsafe connection, thus keeping everyone happy.
If that doesnt happen, someone will invent it anyway.
Chinky (please dont let me down again apple) Bob

shareef777

Suspended
Jul 26, 2005
Chicago, IL
View attachment 630605 View attachment 630606

Makes me think they'll put 2 TB3 ports on the left (as a replacement for the pair of TB ports there now) and two USBA ports on the right.

Macasio

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2015
Maybe that's what they're hinting at for the MacBook lineup with a single port. Maybe they'll introduce conductive charging, using a pad of some sorts, and the need for a charging port will diminish.

They'll probably sell it as an extremely expensive accessory though.
[doublepost=1462798193][/doublepost]
MagSafe is going to be replaced by the Smart Connector system. They may call it MagSafe 3...but we're all going to be seeing those 3 dots on the new MacBook Pros.

The way I see it. One TB3 port. One traditional USB C port. MagSafe/Smart Connector.
Headphones jack. Yup that's it.

I know it seems radical...but that's where Apple is heading.

I hope that Apple is going to invent something in this direction.

NJPT

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2011
What track record?

I agree with you. I posted this before, but Serban's predicted dimensions on December 10, 2014 for the rMB were incorrect (both thickness and weight). On top of that, the processor Serban predicted was a 15W U class 1.6 GHz chip instead of the Core M one it did get.

Serban said this was due to changes to the prototype, which of course could be true, but I find it improbable that a prototype rMB in December 2014 would have a U class chip, as that would necessitate a fundamental change in the rMB's design (a fan). And it's not like the Core M chips just weren't available from Intel yet; they were released on September 5 and October 27, 2014.

That being said, I would love for there to finally be someone with true inside info on this forum. Unless Serban's predicted dimensions come true this time however, I'd remain deeply skeptical.

Hey Mac

macrumors member
Dec 11, 2015
Just checkin in to give you the update you were waiting for!!!
Guys!! It happened!!

Yes, I just SSD'ed my 2009 macbook pro, along with 8gb of RAM.
Feels like new, the jump from Snow Leopard to El Capitan is quite huge :)

Well, that should keep me happy until the new macbook pro is updated to its second/third revision, with... K
aby - wait for it - Lake!!! Oh yeah!

Happy wait to everyone!!

Woochoo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2014
If Serban is correct and they did have 2/3 prototypes without USB-A, then chances are they decided to eliminate USB-A. I shudder to think of the backlash that will happen when they release these machines, if this is indeed true. So many people will be complaining.

They probably wouldn't do this since the majority of computers don't have USB C yet, so this might be a poor decision.

I think it's a great decision to include USB C ports now. You should take this new MBP as futureproof computer, instead of thinking about the actual trends. Apple is designing it to be the next generation for the next 4-5 years, and I guarantee you that in 4 years USB A won't be there anymore apart from the already existing stuff that you already own. Apple is used to drop standards (Floppy disk, CD drive, Ethernet port) before anyone else, and people always complain, but the world won't end there.

If a connector prevents you from buying a concrete computer, there are many other options that will still have USB A ports, but when USB C becomes the standard, which will become since it's the mighty USB, you'll thank having USB C ports instead of USB A.

I agree with you tho, that Apple should include an adaptor, but if they didn't with rMB which had only 1 USB C, I doubt they'll do now.

That being said, I would love for there to finally be someone with true inside info on this forum. Unless Serban's predicted dimensions come true this time however, I'd remain deeply skeptical.

Even best analysts fail at predicting sometimes. I wouldn't take Serbant info as if it was written in a rock by Tim Cook, neither I'd be skeptical about what he said. It's just more info, and since he stated he isn't in the final decisions board, he can be right or wrong (not our mate here, that'd be inception :D). But it's clear his info gives us some more clear ideas about Apple options and what they could go for.

Last edited:

Chuzwuzzin

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2009
UK
Let's compare some recent highlights of this thread to Apple's WWDC 2016 cryptic invite

print("Hello, WWDC!")
Hello love at first swipe. -
Some say Tinder, I say http://www.patentlyapple.com/patent...r-advanced-trackpads-iphone-headset-more.html
Hello other side of the road
Hello yogi on my wrist.
Hello driver, fast as you can.
Hello workout in my living room.
Hello every pitch, every highlight. -
New speakers and screen on MBPs, as hinted at by Serban
Hello self-combusting selfies.
Hello double tap heart.
Hello rain in five minutes.
Hello 6 seconds of fame.
Hello big idea

Well played by Apple. If they have MBP production issues (damn you Intel) they can easily claim these lines refer to something else - smart.

ssong

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2015
London, UK
For everyone who doesn't know who @Serban is, he has been leaking info about unreleased Apple devices for a few years now. He has a very high track record and his predictions are usually very precise.

I appreciate that you could share this info with us Serban, I was afraid that the lack of rumors would mean that the MBP wouldn't be released in June but now I'm relieved that that is not the case.

What track record?

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.