Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Macintosheux

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2007
Lyon, France
Just found this on macOS Sierra:
http://consomac.fr/news-5409-de-nouveaux-macs-en-octobre.html

Dynamic Function Row confirmed :)

function-row-screenshot.jpg

imom

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2008
There's no way Apple will announce the MBPs in Sept. It's going to take away from the IP7.

How would a computer eat into phone sales? Even if some consumers did have to choose between the two, Apple would make more from customers paying $2,000 for a MBP than $700 for an iPhone. Apple would lose too much money if they delay a ready product for an extra month. If the Macbook Pro isn't announced, it's because it is still not ready.

Reactions: MareLuce

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
Apple Watch could have been much more successful had they also offered a circular design (I can guarantee you). We don't need iPads of every possible inch combinations and MB/MBA shouldn't be eating each other. So on and so on.

Not sure if Tim is the sole person to blame, but someone who can spearhead their decisions better would certainly help fix this genuinely concerning trend.
You don't think apple researched what more people want before designing the watch? Not everyone would want a round watch if a square one is better for using or screen real-estate. I have a few square watches that i love that aren't smart watches. Im more than certain what they found out, in what people would want more, turned out to be square.

Uni Grad

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2015
Bloomberg News
I don't think Woz would be such a great CEO for the company.. He has never been a business man, and without Jobs he'd still be giving his designs for free at Homebrew..
[doublepost=1472539529][/doublepost]Actually, I can pretty much live with October. If we can say for sure that it's gonna be in October, that's fine because uncertainty is what hurts the most in this thread :(

I guess it's time to start selling my Mac Mini and rMB if the MBP is coming in October :)

But he understands computers better than Cook and most current employees there. Of course he's not business oriented, but was Jobs either? Cook reminds me more of Gates, and less than Jobs. We need someone to drive Apple, not corporate.

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
The only reason touchID exists is so the police can force you to open up your device. They're not allowed to force you to give them your password.
That makes no sense. You can deliberately use different fingers or positions and then it would auto lock.
Im going to use my pinky to unlock my mac. Left ring finger to unlock my phone.

Last edited:
Reactions: SHuisman

Uni Grad

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2015
Bloomberg News

@fastasleep I don't think you really understand where I was going with this. Cook is greedy in terms of Apple sales, too greedy. He wants to squeeze out every cent from their products, something we never saw in Jobs era. For example by still retaining the old old MacBook Pro with the HDD and a CD Drive, that is the kind of greed I'm talking about.

I'm not calling Cook greedy in real life, I'm just saying his business oriented decisions are greedy, which is fine to a certain extent, but Apple (Cook) seems to be pushing that boundary a lot nowadays with their product offerings.

moltar

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2008
That makes no sense. You can deliberately use different fingers or positions and then it would auto lock.
Im going to use my pinky to unlock my mac. Left ring finger to unlock my phone.

So if you use the wrong finger you can never unlock it again? What stops the police from trying every finger you have?

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
So if you use the wrong finger you can never unlock it again? What stops the police from trying every finger you have?
You can use different points on your finger and also have passcode pop up after one miss. After 10 misses you can erase the whole phone. slightly higher placement of a finger will not register.

Dydegu

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2015
Pennsylvania
A way to justify keeping the Air could be making it up to 15". At 11"-13" there really is no point.

Why is there no point? The MB is $300-400 more expensive and still a wildly different machine than the MBA.

If they truly want to simplify the lineup, I think they should launch the new MBP, discontinue the Airs, discontinue the current 15" (and the classic) and drop the current 13" MBP to $999.
  • Entry: 2015 13" MBP - $999
  • Portable: MB - $1299
  • Pro: 2016 13"/15" MBP - $????
But we've seen so many MBA rumors. There has to be some truth to it. So that tells us there are consumers who still want a cheap Mac laptop. They aren't ready for the MB for various reasons. One of those is price. Without the MBA, at that price point, users can either get an iPad Pro, or they could look at a shiny Surface.

The Microsoft ads are right. The iPad can't compete with the Surface. The MBA is Apple's solution to the Surface. It can also allow Apple to future proof the Air before they send it packing. Maybe that means USB-C. Maybe that means adopting the current design language.

There's no way Apple will announce the MBPs in Sept. It's going to take away from the IP7.

Plus, everyone who bought a MBP in the last month will return it. They'll wait until Oct once the return periods are over and everyone has their IP7.

The iPad Pro didn't take away from the iPhone 6S. And remember, no one is expecting a release next week, mostly just an unveiling/announcement at best.

Man this 9/7 event is going to be awkward. The Mac rumors coming up just a week before suggest that Apple is really concerned about it being the elephant in the room. It's the first incremental iPhone upgrade on a full number change and a marginally better Apple Watch; I was being optimistic, but I can't help but feel that this event will be very disappointing on hardware.

We'll be surprised at what the iPhone 7 brings to the table.

navaira

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
Amsterdam, Netherlands
Without the MBA, at that price point, users can either get an iPad Pro, or they could look at a shiny Surface.
As long as they don't update the screen! It wouldn't be a Macbook Air without 320x200 resolution in 256 colours.

• Entry: 2015 13" MBP - $999
  • Portable: MB - $1299
  • Pro: 2016 13"/15" MBP - $????
Hmmm. I can't see MBP being sold cheaper than rMB...? I'd expect MBA (if it still exists after September 7) $999, rMB $1199, MBP $1299 upwards.

Reactions: CaliKW

Exile714

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2015
What if all leaks and rumors that we have till now about BookPro, it is in fact gonna be new MacBook Air??
What if they upgrade only BookAir this year, and BookPro first in 2017 with KabyLake?? hmmmm?

Much more likely MacBook Airs would have Kaby Lake processors before MacBook Pro since the chips appropriate for those models are released earlier.

So what I'm saying is, you should probably buy the MacBook Air because it's going to be less "outdated" than the MacBook Pro and thus a better machine. /S

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
The iPad Pro didn't take away from the iPhone 6S. And remember, no one is expecting a release next week, mostly just an unveiling/announcement at best.

We'll be surprised at what the iPhone 7 brings to the table.

I agree on both points. Announcing Macs isn't going to pull media attention away from their most important product the iPhone. The new iPhone is what the vast majority of people will want to hear about in the news, and that will therefore be the focus of most of the reporting.

Dalrymple hasn't "noped" the new Macs at the event, he just theorizes why he thinks they won't. Maybe he knows for sure but doesn't want to confirm it. Gruber thinks Apple could do it, but he's clearly suspicious that Dalrymple may know for sure they won't - so he isn't arguing too hard.

I'm excited about the iPhone 7 because we know so little. People are assuming this means it's going to be a boring update. But this lack of exciting leaks might lead into an event where Apple pulls a few rabbits out of the hat again, and totally blows us all away with some great surprises. We also find out why Apple is removing the headphone jack, and what they are going to include in the box this time.

Reactions: Dydegu and geachy92

Dead0k

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2015
Poland
iPhone 7 will be just a better copy of iPhone 6s.

Anyway generally we don't have to expect innovation but new features in newly updated products. Admit, Apple cant create new things every period of time like it was experimenting back in a day.
Hopefully new MBP design will take our breath :) #hype

Reactions: Exile714

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
iPhone 7 will be just a better copy of iPhone 6s.

Anyway generally we don't have to expect innovation but new features in newly updated products. Admit, Apple cant create new things every period of time like it was experimenting back in a day.
Hopefully new MBP design will take our breath :) #hype
This mentality that the only form of innovation is the external design of the device is unhealthy.

OSX7

Suspended
Jul 26, 2015
Apparently it's now more or less official that there will be no MBPs at the September event :( :
http://consomac.fr/news-5411-les-annonces-dapple-devoilees-en-russie.html
We all know that new MacBooks aren't going to be announced. We have been warned repeatedly by EVERYONE of significance that this is the case. We are now in the stage of making excuses (for ourselves) of why Apple will announce them on the 7th. As always we don't listen, right at the end of the September event, everyone is going to be like: "where are the new MacBooks?!". Let's stop getting others hyped up and setting unrealistic expectations. New rMBPs are for October, Period. Anyways, would love to be proven wrong next week, but the chances of it happening are looking slim.

mjs402

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2013
Apparently it's now more or less official that there will be no MBPs at the September event :( :
http://consomac.fr/news-5411-les-annonces-dapple-devoilees-en-russie.html

Nah. That means that those products will be for sale shortly after September 7th. We aren't expecting the Macs to be "released" until October but they could very well be "announced" in September.
[doublepost=1472562376][/doublepost]
We all know that new MacBooks aren't going to be announced. We have been warned repeatedly by EVERYONE of significance that this is the case. We are now in the stage of making excuses (for ourselves) of why Apple will announce them on the 7th. As always we don't listen, right at the end of the September event, everyone is going to be like: "where are the new MacBooks?!". Let's stop getting others hyped up and setting unrealistic expectations. New rMBPs are for October, Period. Anyways, would love to be proven wrong next week, but the chances of it happening are looking slim.

The guy from The Michael Report is indicating otherwise.

https://themichaelreport.com/

Reactions: Dydegu
Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.