Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
I cannot wait for Oct 22.
It's about time the Air gets refreshed.
The Air is still slow by today's PC standards.

Are you serious? ;)

The Airs got updated a little over four months ago. The Airs also don't get mid-cyle processor updates like the MacBook Pros. Nothing's happening with the Airs for at least another six to eight months, maybe later because Broadwell is supposedly delayed.

Plus, power is not the Air's raison d'être. It's built for battery life and portability.

bit density

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2004
Seattle
It will be thinner, still aluminum, same battery life, a little lighter...

Still Haswell, better graphics.

New more efficient brighter LED's will drive the screen.

IGZO, but possibly NOT retina. I think that the whole high-def screen concept may not be ready for the masses. Or there may be a version that isn't, which is for "education", an off menu item 700 dollar version.

It will still have a bezel. (This is a requirement for apparent thinness, and it will help with flex and stability, and keep the screen from being top heavy).

The battery life trick will be accomplished by physically smaller components. So more battery. This will keep the weight very close to the same.

It will contain the new combo USB3/Thunderbolt ports, one on each side. (losing one port).

It will NOT have a Lightning charger, but rather some form of mag charger.

A new keyboard technology may happen. Same touch pad (It's about perfect as it is).

4gb/64(maybe 128) for the education version, standard store version 8gb/128, BTO 16 512 max.

Wild guess, both memory and SSD will be click in boards. I think this can be done and mean the stores themselves can "build" different models. And not significantly change build costs.

It will still seem evolutionary rather than revolutionary. Broadwell 2015.

skaertus

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
I cannot wait for Oct 22.
It's about time the Air gets refreshed.
The Air is still slow by today's PC standards.

Uh... the Air is not going to be updated on Oct 22. It's a 2014 refresh we're talking about. Most likely with Broadwell.

It's about time the Air gets a redesign. But Apple didn't do it this year. So, our hopes are for next year.

skaertus

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
Cheaper:

I sure hope that a new 12" model will not be cheaper! That would mean that Apple is cutting corners. If the rumors about the new MBA being thinner and lighter than the current model are true, I would expect it to command a higher price tag than a comparably equipped 13" MBA. I think it will be called the 'New MacBook Air' to distinguish it from the current models (which are no longer leading edge in size and weight as they were back in 2010). If Apple uses any new technologies to make it thinner and lighter ('liquid metal', for example), you can be assured that the price will be higher.

Throw in the fact that it will be the first 'ultra-book' sized computer from Apple with a retina screen resolution and the price will certainly be higher. I also don't see the current 11" and 13" MBAs disappearing right away as some people have suggested. Though they may be eventually phased out, there still will be a place for the previous models based on price alone.

I think it would be foolish to think the new model would be cheaper.

Not necessarily so.

Look, the 13-inch retina MacBook Pro is not exactly a very big success. Apple may want to further reduce its price. And, if Apple plans to discontinue the non-retina models (which is probably going to happen), then a price reduction will most likely occur. If it does so, then the 12-inch retina MacBook Air may not be in the same price range, so its price will have to be lower in order for things to make sense.

There is also competition. Apple has been constantly reducing the price of the MacBook Air, as competitors grow stronger. In 2014, we'll have plenty of cheaper high-resolution ultrabooks. With the Bay Trail platform, we'll have convertible tablets with a 2560x1440/2560x1600 resolution running Windows 8.1 with a decent battery life and selling for not much more than US$ 500. So, the consumer will have plenty of options, and competition brings the prices down. As good and premium as the new MacBook Air may be, Apple is not alone in the market (even though many Apple enthusiasts like to think so).

----------

Thinness:

Someone in another thread said that they thought that it would be impossible to make a new MBA thinner than the current 11" MBA since the limiting factor is the USB connector. However, I looked at mine and, while the computer is nearly as thin as it can be at the USB connection, the computer is actually thicker in the middle, away from the edge. Thus the current 11" MBA could definitely be physically thinner (without tapering illusions) if it wasn't any thicker than the edge where the current USB connector is placed.

I don't see Apple removing the USB connector (unless the new 12" MBA becomes just an iPad with a keyboard). I think the USB connector is still a necessary connection on a computer so I think that is the limiting factor. I can even imagine Apple inventing a special USB receptacle that doesn't completely house the incoming USB plug (so the USB connector isn't the limiting factor), but that would probably have already been seen in a new patent application.

I would definitely like the new MBA to be thinner. Naturally, being thinner would almost certainly make it lighter. Reducing its size and weight is like a work of art. It makes it look more beautiful and it makes it even more portable, allowing you to effortlessly to take it even more places. I'd like it be like short (thin) hardcover book that I can simply throw in my backpack and take it anywhere.

Assuming that the IGZO power saving were enough to offset the increased power demands of the retina display driver, I think the power savings from Broadwell could reduce the necessary battery size to make it thinner. I don't care about the 'all day battery life' of the current MBA. I would definitely give up a little battery life to make it thinner. I'm sure I'm in the minority there, though.

One of the side effects of making things thinner is that you have to give up the option of user upgradable parts (which I have absolutely no interest in that at all). I am willing to pay a lot extra to have top of the line components put in the computer from the very beginning. I sure hope Apple allows for high-end options (16G RAM, 512G or 1T SSD, etc). Anytime you have to allow the user to get into the computer you must make it bigger and heavier. When it gets too out of date I will happy to buy a new one (sort of like getting a new phone every other year). I hope Apple takes it to the extreme on this new model (thinness) demonstrating once again that their engineers are capable of pushing the envelope beyond what other companies are capable of imagining.

(I sure am setting myself up to be disappointed, aren't I?) :)

The 12-inch MacBook Air will have a better design and will be capable of better accommodating its internals than the current models.

In addition, the 13-inch retina MacBook Pro will probably get thinner and lighter, as reported by some analysts. The current 13-inch retina model is actually thicker than the 15-inch retina model, and that's probably because current components (Ivy Bridge) could not be crammed into a thinner 13-inch package. Things may change with Haswell. If the 13-inch retina model manages to be as slim as the 15-inch, then it will also be lighter. So, to better differentiate products, Apple will probably make the Air thinner.

And there's also competition: competitors are managing to make laptops which are thinner and lighter than the Air. Apple, being fanatic with thinness and lightness as it is, will certainly want to better them all.

----------

Should I wait untill next year with buying a Macbook Air?

Im considering upgrading to a newer laptop. And I will probably feel quite decieved if I buy a new Macbook Air now, and a much cooler version in gold, with touch, fingerprint sensor and vagina launches just five months later.

I currently use the first Macbook Pro unibody from 2008. And now I would like to go lighter, and drop the dvd drive and all that. I do use Photoshop quite a bit for image processing. But the Air can handle that fine I suppose?

Anyone editing video on their MBAs?

I would wait for the release of the new model. It's a few months away, for sure. Intel has delayed the release of the Broadwell processor, so you should think second half of 2014.

If you are not interested in waiting, you should take a look at the 13-inch retina MacBook Pro which will probably be released next Oct 22.

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
I would wait for the release of the new model. It's a few months away, for sure. Intel has delayed the release of the Broadwell processor, so you should think second half of 2014.

If you are not interested in waiting, you should take a look at the 13-inch retina MacBook Pro which will probably be released next Oct 22.

Well since when is June a few months away? I really couldn't see a MBA refresh happening before WWDC 2014.

I do think it's a good idea to start wondering about the next-gen MBA, and a 12-inch version to replace the ones out now does sound good. But where as I was only interested in the MBA before the rMBP came out, now I'm only interested in the Pro line. And what a rMBA could be like only furthers that belief.

A retina MBA sounds good, but with the Air line you do have to make compromises. I guess most people are okay with that.

iRun26.2

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010

No, this is not a repeat of last year. There are reports from several sources of a redesigned MBA that is thinner/lighter and the addition of a retina quality IGZO screen.

And, since the screen was not upgraded last year (and was sorely needed) its more realistic than ever for next year.

Additionally, one could have easily argued that IGZO wouldn't be ready last year. Sharp is now promising production early next year. I think Apple waiting for IGZO for the MBA makes perfect sense.

Things will change more dramatically this year compared to last year. I would place money on that.

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
No, this is not a repeat of last year. There are reports from several sources of a redesigned MBA that is thinner/lighter and the addition of a retina quality IGZO screen.

And, since the screen was not upgraded last year (and was sorely needed) its more realistic than ever for next year.

Additionally, one could have easily argued that IGZO wouldn't be ready last year. Sharp is now promising production early next year. I think Apple waiting for IGZO for the MBA makes perfect sense.

Things will change more dramatically this year compared to last year. I would place money on that.

Agreed. People were only hoping for something major this year. Next year, it's inevitable.

CJM

macrumors 68000
May 7, 2005
U.K.
A "rumor" is not "what I reckon might happen/would like to see".

I imagine that you could take any of the previous threads about what might be in the 2013 MBA, adding 5% to the desirable characteristics and subtracting 5% from the undesirable ones, and the result would be the same.

Sorry, just a bit of existential ennui. You carry on. :D

Why are you even in this thread? Your meaningless sarcasm isn't adding anything to the discussion.

It's becoming increasingly clear the Macbook Air will soon be getting a chassis redesign as the logic board has downsized several times over the last few iterations. Check out iFixit's teardown and Anandtech's review of the 2013 machines for their opinions.

silverf1re

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2011
13.3 inch screen was all ready pushing the "too small" factor for me. I hope 12 inch isnt going to be the largest ultraportable the apple offers in the future.

iRun26.2

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
13.3 inch screen was all ready pushing the "too small" factor for me. I hope 12 inch isnt going to be the largest ultraportable the apple offers in the future.

"Portable" is a relative term. In my mind, however, "ultraportable" means you sacrifice almost everything for a reduction in size and weight (including the screen). Is the current 13" MBA really "ultraportable"? I think it is huge compared to my 11" MBA.

A 12" MBA will be a step up for me (in screen size). I just hope it is neither thicker nor heavier than the current 11" MBA.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
13" was already at the low end of what I would personally tolerate on a laptop. I have a TBD, but I use my laptop screen a lot. The 11" was just too cramped, for ME.

12" at such high resolution would seems like unbearably small. I have no issues with the sharpness of the current display, so giving up screen real estate is a step backwards IMO. The current MBA has USB3, a 512GB SSD option and an 8GB RAM option. They are really going to need to pull a rabbit out of their hat to top that.

silverf1re

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2011
"Portable" is a relative term. In my mind, however, "ultraportable" means you sacrifice almost everything for a reduction in size and weight (including the screen). Is the current 13" MBA really "ultraportable"? I think it is huge compared to my 11" MBA.

A 12" MBA will be a step up for me (in screen size). I just hope it is neither thicker nor heavier than the current 11" MBA.

i guess i use ultaportable in a thin and weight terms. i don't care about footprint. As you said these terms are relative.

kwijbo

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2012
Here's my guess:

Air line gets merged into one 12" model.

New clamshell design, moving ports to the back of the machine. This gets rid of the "stethoscope" effect with a Thunderbolt display and may make it easier to package the internals of the machine. This also would allow them to go for a more aggressive taper or thinness, as the machine is no longer bound by the height of USB/Thunderbolt.

IGZO higher resolution display, which is probably a foregone conclusion at this point. The rumored resolution of 2304x1440 is puzzling, given there are other higher resolution panels of similar size in production now. A new method of UI scaling could make this possible, or the resolution could be completely different from the rumors. 2560x1600 in a 12" form factor would be awesome...

Broadwell Y series processors - under 10w TDP, fanless design. Getting rid of the fan helps with making it thinner as well. Given another significant reduction in power consumption from Broadwell, plus moving to a Y series processor, it seems possible to have 10 hours in this new ultra thin form factor, with processing power equal to the 2013 model.

Its a given it'll have PCIe SSDs, AC WiFi, upgraded FaceTime camera, Thunderbolt 2. A 16GB RAM option would be nice.

2lbs in weight, perfect size form factor (slightly taller to accomodate new screen and give just a bit more palm rest area), 1080p webcam with the dual mics from this year's model, ultrafast I/O, dead silent, support for a 4k Thunderbolt display. I'm hoping this thing lives up to (my) expectations :cool:.

Last edited:

Jefe's MacAir

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2010
12" will fit in the current 11" dimensions. There will be a similar 15" in the current 13" dimensions.

The form factor will be the biggest change. As I stated, bigger screens in the same dimensional space.

The display will obviously will improve drastically. Thinner, lighter, similar materials but w/ a much different look. Think black.

calvol

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2011
Let's hope for all the above, but can't see fanless as long as Intel clocks 2x with Turboboost, which yields a very peaky heat profile.

skaertus

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
Let's hope for all the above, but can't see fanless as long as Intel clocks 2x with Turboboost, which yields a very peaky heat profile.

Fanless is not going to happen. Unless Apple opts to use the successor to the Bay Trail platform but, in this case, it would be limited to a 10.1-inch screen. Otherwise, I don't see the laptop being fanless. Unless Broadwell really turns out to be a surprise for me.

----------

Here's my guess:

Air line gets merged into one 12" model.

New clamshell design, moving ports to the back of the machine. This gets rid of the "stethoscope" effect with a Thunderbolt display and may make it easier to package the internals of the machine. This also would allow them to go for a more aggressive taper or thinness, as the machine is no longer bound by the height of USB/Thunderbolt.

IGZO higher resolution display, which is probably a foregone conclusion at this point. The rumored resolution of 2304x1440 is puzzling, given there are other higher resolution panels of similar size in production now. A new method of UI scaling could make this possible, or the resolution could be completely different from the rumors. 2560x1600 in a 12" form factor would be awesome...

Broadwell Y series processors - under 10w TDP, fanless design. Getting rid of the fan helps with making it thinner as well. Given another significant boost in consumption from Broadwell, plus moving to a Y series processor, it seems possible to have 10 hours in this new ultra thin form factor, with processing power equal to the 2013 model.

Its a given it'll have PCIe SSDs, AC WiFi, upgraded FaceTime camera, Thunderbolt 2. A 16GB RAM option would be nice.

2lbs in weight, perfect size form factor (slightly taller to give just a bit more palm rest area), 1080p webcam with the dual mics from this year's model, ultrafast I/O, dead silent, support for a 4k Thunderbolt display. I'm hoping this thing lives up to (my) expectations :cool:.

I would say may prediction is very similar to this one.

kwijbo

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2012
Fanless is not going to happen. Unless Apple opts to use the successor to the Bay Trail platform but, in this case, it would be limited to a 10.1-inch screen. Otherwise, I don't see the laptop being fanless. Unless Broadwell really turns out to be a surprise for me.

----------

I would say may prediction is very similar to this one.

We may be in for a surprise with Broadwell, when you figure Haswell Y can potentially go fanless now:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7168/...-sdp-parts-in-limited-volumes-later-this-year

and then take that one step further with 30% less power consumption on Broadwell Y

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7318/intel-demos-14nm-broadwell-up-to-30-lower-power-than-haswell

gwsat

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2008
Tulsa
Why are you even in this thread? Your meaningless sarcasm isn't adding anything to the discussion.

It's becoming increasingly clear the Macbook Air will soon be getting a chassis redesign as the logic board has downsized several times over the last few iterations. Check out iFixit's teardown and Anandtech's review of the 2013 machines for their opinions.

+1! Let me add my thanks to the Thread Starter for kicking off this intriguing thread. I have been enjoying it. It's a shame that such interesting stuff like this can draw snide nastiness. Ah well, it proves again that no good deed goes unpunished. :)

I thought long and hard about upgrading my 2010 13 inch MBA when the MBA line was refreshed last time but decided to stick with my old one until its Applecare coverage expired. Well, that will happen at the end of this month so I am waiting for the next MBA upgrade with bated breath. Like others, I am wishing that it will have either a Retina or IGZO display, longer battery life, extremely light weight, and a price no higher than the current version. Hope that's not asking for too much but hope springs eternal.

wrinkster22

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2011
Toronto
I am excited for the redesign. I have a mid 2011 although its an amazing machine of course I would love a new one. My plan is to get a second generation of the redesign (like I did this time) so in 2015. Thats 4 solid years out of my macbook.

iRun26.2

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
I NEED a BIGGER HD!! :d

The main reason I buy a new computer is usually because my old computer's hard drive begins to become critically low on storage space (or it crashes).

My 2010 11" MBA has long been low on hard drive space. I've been holding off until Apple adds a better screen. It looks like next year will be the year! IGZO...Awesome!!!

The largest 2010 SSD option for the 11" MBA was 128G. I almost upgraded to the 2013 11" MBA just to get the 512G drive. I just couldn't justify it without a better display option.

If they once again make the new MBA thinner, we might be restricted, this time to 256G. I'd pay a lot more if a 1TB SSD was an option (yes, I know, dreaming again).

I wonder if the new 12" MBA models will support Thunderbolt 2? That would allow other options for storage.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.