Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sphirexx

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 20, 2014
I inheritated a broken macbook pro model a1278. when i plug the charger in it lights up orange then dims to a green after a minute. the battery doesnt charge and it doesnt power on. I opened it up and I think this looks like water damage not quite sure. Figured ill have to replace the logic board but thought id post photos before hand.

Attachments

• photo 1-1.JPG
    photo 1-1.JPG
    781.1 KB · Views: 200
  • photo 2-1.JPG
    photo 2-1.JPG
    943 KB · Views: 136
  • photo 3-2.JPG
    photo 3-2.JPG
    776.8 KB · Views: 141

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
I inheritated a broken macbook pro model a1278. when i plug the charger in it lights up orange then dims to a green after a minute. the battery doesnt charge and it doesnt power on. I opened it up and I think this looks like water damage not quite sure. Figured ill have to replace the logic board but thought id post photos before hand.

Definitely looks like water damage. I would first try to reset the SMC but I highly doubt that it would do anything. Got a freebie and I reset the SMC and it fired right up.

sphirexx

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 20, 2014
Definitely looks like water damage. I would first try to reset the SMC but I highly doubt that it would do anything. Got a freebie and I reset the SMC and it fired right up.

it wont even boot up or anything. I press the power button and nada. Can I replace it with any a1278 logic board? The ram is DDR3. What other things could I try to get it up and running before I go ahead and order a logic board?
would one of these work?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-Macbo...171333697?pt=Motherboards&hash=item1e8a6bb641

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-Macbo...993145876?pt=Motherboards&hash=item5660ea2814

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
it wont even boot up or anything. I press the power button and nada. Can I replace it with any a1278 logic board? The ram is DDR3. What other things could I try to get it up and running before I go ahead and order a logic board?
would one of these work?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-Macbo...171333697?pt=Motherboards&hash=item1e8a6bb641

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-Macbo...993145876?pt=Motherboards&hash=item5660ea2814

Here is how to reset the SMC.

I would start by removing the Logic Board and cleaning it with alcohol. Do not just dump it on but rather use cotton swabs and isopropyl alcohol to attempt to remove corrosion. Let the board air out and try it again.

iFixit has some great guides on repairs including removing the Logic Board. They also sell warrantied parts!

sphirexx

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 20, 2014
i got a chime but no screen. I should probably put the bottom of the casing back on first lol but that smc thing got a little results. I'll see what happens then clean it tomorrow and try again if there are no results.:D

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
i got a chime but no screen. I should probably put the bottom of the casing back on first lol but that smc thing got a little results. I'll see what happens then clean it tomorrow and try again if there are no results.:D

Make sure you aren't trying to consistently boot it. If you do not clean the board you could short it and then you have a logic board that is totally iDead. That also means the whole board isn't dead yet, you may have a chance and that may of just saved you $300 by cleaning it.

sphirexx

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 20, 2014
Make sure you aren't trying to consistently boot it. If you do not clean the board you could short it and then you have a logic board that is totally iDead. That also means the whole board isn't dead yet, you may have a chance and that may of just saved you $300 by cleaning it.

put the screws back in and tried again. It dings and the fan turns on but no go for the screen. Im gonna go get the alcohol tomorrow but i think im going to need special screw drivers to get the logic board out so I will order those tomorrow as well and then go from there. I really hope this works! That would be nice to have gotten a free macbook pro!

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
put the screws back in and tried again. It dings and the fan turns on but no go for the screen. Im gonna go get the alcohol tomorrow but i think im going to need special screw drivers to get the logic board out so I will order those tomorrow as well and then go from there. I really hope this works! That would be nice to have gotten a free macbook pro!

DO NOT try to clean the Logic Board with it inside the Mac! That is quite possibly the worst idea. You are probably going to see more problems on the other side of the board in all honesty. Wait for the screw drivers to get here.

Take your time with any and all parts. The screws can strip easily if you don't have a good torque on them to start. I know I have rounded some on my MBP out since they are just so soft.

sphirexx

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 20, 2014
DO NOT try to clean the Logic Board with it inside the Mac! That is quite possibly the worst idea. You are probably going to see more problems on the other side of the board in all honesty. Wait for the screw drivers to get here.

Take your time with any and all parts. The screws can strip easily if you don't have a good torque on them to start. I know I have rounded some on my MBP out since they are just so soft.

im not going to do anything til i have all the tools I need. So no worries. I found a set on ebay im going to order tomorrow and I should have them in a few days. Going to remove the logic board and clean it, let it dry and then put it b ack and and see what happens. I really hope this will fix it if not ill just order a logic board. What one should I order though?

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
im not going to do anything til i have all the tools I need. So no worries. I found a set on ebay im going to order tomorrow and I should have them in a few days. Going to remove the logic board and clean it, let it dry and then put it b ack and and see what happens. I really hope this will fix it if not ill just order a logic board. What one should I order though?

Exactly what Logic Board came out. Go for like for like as I do not recall if they all have the same mounting hardware in the case. I am guessing this is a 2011 model?

sphirexx

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 20, 2014
Exactly what Logic Board came out. Go for like for like as I do not recall if they all have the same mounting hardware in the case. I am guessing this is a 2011 model?

its a1278 and it says 2010 apple inc on the bottom. has ddr3 ram. 4gb. i dont know much else. I have the serial number. i looked it up and these are the results I got:

Model Family: MacBook Pro
Processor: 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo (P8600)
Manufacturer: Intel
# of CPUs: 1
Codename: Penryn
Display:
Size: 13.3"
Finish: Glossy
Resolution: 1280x800
Backlight: LED-Backlit
Base Memory: 4GB PC3-8500 SODIMM
Max Memory: 8GB
# Memory Slots: 2
Brand: Apple
Wireless: 802.11a/b/g/n
Color(s): Aluminum
Original OS: Mac OS X 10.6.3
Battery: 63.5-watt-hour removable lithium-polymer
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 320M (256MB)
Base Storage: 250GB 5400RPM SATA 2.5"
Optical Drive: 8x DL Superdrive
Model Number: A1278
Sales Number(s): MC374LL/A
Machine Number(s): MacBookPro7,1
Dimensions: 12.78 in x 8.94 in x 0.95 in
Weight: 4.5 lb
Production: Apr 13, 2010 - Feb 24, 2011
Factory: China
Production Year: 2010
Production Week: 19 (May)
Production Number: 7064

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
its a1278 and it says 2010 apple inc on the bottom. has ddr3 ram. 4gb. i dont know much else. I have the serial number. i looked it up and these are the results I got:

Model Family: MacBook Pro
Processor: 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo (P8600)
Manufacturer: Intel
# of CPUs: 1
Codename: Penryn
Display:
Size: 13.3"
Finish: Glossy
Resolution: 1280x800
Backlight: LED-Backlit
Base Memory: 4GB PC3-8500 SODIMM
Max Memory: 8GB
# Memory Slots: 2
Brand: Apple
Wireless: 802.11a/b/g/n
Color(s): Aluminum
Original OS: Mac OS X 10.6.3
Battery: 63.5-watt-hour removable lithium-polymer
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 320M (256MB)
Base Storage: 250GB 5400RPM SATA 2.5"
Optical Drive: 8x DL Superdrive
Model Number: A1278
Sales Number(s): MC374LL/A
Machine Number(s): MacBookPro7,1
Dimensions: 12.78 in x 8.94 in x 0.95 in
Weight: 4.5 lb
Production: Apr 13, 2010 - Feb 24, 2011
Factory: China
Production Year: 2010
Production Week: 19 (May)
Production Number: 7064

Pull the RAM out and check it for corrosion. Also, take an LED flashlight and shine it into the RAM slots and check for corrosion. Do not try to clean the slots themselves as the alcohol tends to do damage there. A mid-2010 logic board would be good, but worry about that when the time comes.

sphirexx

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 20, 2014
Pull the RAM out and check it for corrosion. Also, take an LED flashlight and shine it into the RAM slots and check for corrosion. Do not try to clean the slots themselves as the alcohol tends to do damage there. A mid-2010 logic board would be good, but worry about that when the time comes.

Ill do that tomorrow. There isn't anything I can do right now so I'm going to head to bed. I'll post more once I get the chance to take it apart and clean her up nice and good. Thanks for the help!

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Ill do that tomorrow. There isn't anything I can do right now so I'm going to head to bed. I'll post more once I get the chance to take it apart and clean her up nice and good. Thanks for the help!

No problem. Don't be surprised if the whole other side of the board is covered in corrosion. If that's the case you may need to soak it (barring the additional parts) in the alcohol.

Note that some people will say my method works great. Others think it's a terrible idea. Provided you use caution, let things dry, and clean the parts fully after soaking (if necessary) there is no reason not to. It isn't like you are going to lose money trying this.

sphirexx

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 20, 2014
No problem. Don't be surprised if the whole other side of the board is covered in corrosion. If that's the case you may need to soak it (barring the additional parts) in the alcohol.

Note that some people will say my method works great. Others think it's a terrible idea. Provided you use caution, let things dry, and clean the parts fully after soaking (if necessary) there is no reason not to. It isn't like you are going to lose money trying this.

yeah true it was a free macbook so no matter what happens im not taking a loss. How would I go about soaking it? Radioshack has a set with torq screwdrivers so im going to head over there then to get the alcohol and then ill be taking this bad boy apart. I'll post photos of what I find as it goes on.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
yeah true it was a free macbook so no matter what happens im not taking a loss. How would I go about soaking it? Radioshack has a set with torq screwdrivers so im going to head over there then to get the alcohol and then ill be taking this bad boy apart. I'll post photos of what I find as it goes on.

You definitely want to get the purest alcohol possible. Like high 90s in the percentage is good. Personally it is better to clean the board with out soaking but I have seen some people remove the whole board and put it in a container.

Depending on how long it sat and how many times it was attempted to be started while still wet could mean the board is fried.

sphirexx

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 20, 2014
I just bought the screwdrivers in a tool kit and I got a bottle of 91% isopropyl alcohol. I should be home in about half an hour or so then I'm clearing off a workspace and seeing what the total damage is. I read usually with water damage the battery needs replaced. Is this true? I ordered a tri wing for the battery and should have it by Friday. Kind of excited about this project not gonna lie!

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
I just bought the screwdrivers in a tool kit and I got a bottle of 91% isopropyl alcohol. I should be home in about half an hour or so then I'm clearing off a workspace and seeing what the total damage is. I read usually with water damage the battery needs replaced. Is this true? I ordered a tri wing for the battery and should have it by Friday. Kind of excited about this project not gonna lie!

In cell phones generally the battery gets exposed to water and floods it which throws the acid ratio off which doesn't charge properly or provide the appropriate battery. That is really going to depend. I have rebuilt many MacBooks, and never once have I had to swap the battery. Though that doesn't mean you shouldn't. Play it by year, check for corrosion on the LB near the battery. If it is corroded use caution, if not then try the battery out for a while. Being a 2010 model the battery is coming if not already due for a replacement.

sphirexx

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 20, 2014
I'm going to look up the parts incase I need to replace the logic board, battery etc. last night when I tried the smc thing it chimed and the fan kicked on so there's gotta be some sort of functionality. I'll scream and shout if I can get it up and running :)

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
I'm going to look up the parts incase I need to replace the logic board, battery etc. last night when I tried the smc thing it chimed and the fan kicked on so there's gotta be some sort of functionality. I'll scream and shout if I can get it up and running :)

iFixit is a great place for repair guides and parts. The parts are more money than an eBay part, but are guaranteed. Personally, if it is little things I go with iFixit otherwise parts from the local shop are fine!

sphirexx

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 20, 2014
iFixit is a great place for repair guides and parts. The parts are more money than an eBay part, but are guaranteed. Personally, if it is little things I go with iFixit otherwise parts from the local shop are fine!

Yeah I'm using a guide from Ifixit to remove the logic board. I may order new screws for the bottom casing while I'm at it. Once again thanks for taking the time to help me out with this:)

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Yeah I'm using a guide from Ifixit to remove the logic board. I may order new screws for the bottom casing while I'm at it. Once again thanks for taking the time to help me out with this:)

No problem! I recommend ordering the screws for the bottom case from Amazon. They are more affordable and usually decent quality.

sphirexx

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 20, 2014
No problem! I recommend ordering the screws for the bottom case from Amazon. They are more affordable and usually decent quality.

i just took apart and removed the logic board then scrubbed it down with the alcohol. should i put it back together and toss it back in or?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.