Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sphirexx

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 20, 2014
Clean it thoroughly before running power through it and make sure it is 100% dry.

I think I cleaned it thoroughly enough then I went for a walk and to eat with my mate. We just got home in gonna finish plugging things in and then start her up and see if there are any results!

also, the last image i posted, whats that discoloration? Is it fried or is that water damage?? I took a better pic ill post in a bit

Last edited:

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
I think I cleaned it thoroughly enough then I went for a walk and to eat with my mate. We just got home in gonna finish plugging things in and then start her up and see if there are any results!

also, the last image i posted, whats that discoloration? Is it fried or is that water damage?? I took a better pic ill post in a bit

It's definite corrosion. My guess is that it did start after the damage and the heat left those marks. Provided it is clean it may work still...

sphirexx

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 20, 2014
Idk if I put it in wrong or what but it's not even booting now. I'm trying the smc thing to no avail. I might soak it over night and get distilled water tomorrow to rinse it with then let it dry and try again. I have no idea what to do at this point aside from ordering another logic board:/

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Idk if I put it in wrong or what but it's not even booting now. I'm trying the smc thing to no avail. I might soak it over night and get distilled water tomorrow to rinse it with then let it dry and try again. I have no idea what to do at this point aside from ordering another logic board:/

Check all connections and repeat.

sphirexx

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 20, 2014
Check all connections and repeat.

i will after i wake im calling it a night. if that fails im just going to get another logic board and see if that helps at all. im hoping thats the only problem.

Update:
Well After I woke up I reswabbed it and scrubbed it down using alcohol and a toothbrush and had no results. I think its safe to say I'll be replacing the logic board. I have two picked out ones the same one in it currently and the other im assuming is the previous. they both have all the same connectors and are marked a1278. Im going to be ordering a new dc input as well. is it safe to clean off al the connectors with the alcohol before installing the new logic board?

Last edited:

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
i will after i wake im calling it a night. if that fails im just going to get another logic board and see if that helps at all. im hoping thats the only problem.

Update:
Well After I woke up I reswabbed it and scrubbed it down using alcohol and a toothbrush and had no results. I think its safe to say I'll be replacing the logic board. I have two picked out ones the same one in it currently and the other im assuming is the previous. they both have all the same connectors and are marked a1278. Im going to be ordering a new dc input as well. is it safe to clean off al the connectors with the alcohol before installing the new logic board?

If they look fine you really don't have to. This page here has some great information on water and liquid damage! I would check it out.

Also, if I remember correctly, on the bottom of the Logic Board (ss in RAM slots towards you) there are two terminals labeled power. Try shorting the two of them to see if it will start. I think it is on the 13" MBPs.

sphirexx

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 20, 2014
If they look fine you really don't have to. This page here has some great information on water and liquid damage! I would check it out.

Also, if I remember correctly, on the bottom of the Logic Board (ss in RAM slots towards you) there are two terminals labeled power. Try shorting the two of them to see if it will start. I think it is on the 13" MBPs.

How would I go about that? I haven't soaked it yet so if I can't get it tonight I'm soaking it then rinsing with the distilled water I bought. I'm thinking it might've fried idk I don't know how to tell but it looked water damaged to me.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
How would I go about that? I haven't soaked it yet so if I can't get it tonight I'm soaking it then rinsing with the distilled water I bought. I'm thinking it might've fried idk I don't know how to tell but it looked water damaged to me.

What I would do to be honest with you is just drown the board in the 93%+ alcohol as mentioned in the iFixit guide. Let it soak for 30 minutes and let it dry out on a paper towel. Then use your Q-Tips to try and remove the rest of the corrosion with dabs of alcohol. I am afraid turning it on that one last time may of done it in, but since you are having fun with the project and could save $300 why not put in the extra work!

sphirexx

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 20, 2014
What I would do to be honest with you is just drown the board in the 93%+ alcohol as mentioned in the iFixit guide. Let it soak for 30 minutes and let it dry out on a paper towel. Then use your Q-Tips to try and remove the rest of the corrosion with dabs of alcohol. I am afraid turning it on that one last time may of done it in, but since you are having fun with the project and could save $300 why not put in the extra work!

Definetly!! I'll post photos in a bit of the board now before I soak it!

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Definetly!! I'll post photos in a bit of the board now before I soak it!

Do a detailed before and after! Just to show people what 30 minutes and some time and effort does. What percentage alcohol are you using?

Also, ease off on the distilled water. The alcohol is not conductive. The water can wipe away corrosion but alcohol is a bit better.

sphirexx

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 20, 2014
Do a detailed before and after! Just to show people what 30 minutes and some time and effort does. What percentage alcohol are you using?

Also, ease off on the distilled water. The alcohol is not conductive. The water can wipe away corrosion but alcohol is a bit better.

its 91%. I got it to kick on then turned it off doing the shorting thing. the fan works, the speaker works and i heard the hdd clicking but no display. only had it on for 5 secs most before i cut the power. so thers something going on here. about to remove it right now. what should i do? soak it for half and hour then wipe it and try again after it dries?

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
its 91%. I got it to kick on then turned it off doing the shorting thing. the fan works, the speaker works and i heard the hdd clicking but no display. only had it on for 5 secs most before i cut the power. so thers something going on here. about to remove it right now. what should i do? soak it for half and hour then wipe it and try again after it dries?

Soak it for half hour in just the alcohol. Those tupperware tubs are pretty good as long as they are clean! then just set it out to dry overnight. You should then be able to do area by area corrosion removal with the Q-tips!

sphirexx

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 20, 2014
Soak it for half hour in just the alcohol. Those tupperware tubs are pretty good as long as they are clean! then just set it out to dry overnight. You should then be able to do area by area corrosion removal with the Q-tips!

okay im about to soak it now. could i let it dry on a clean towel or should i use paper towels or?

Also I think the video connector is damaged badly cause I noticed it looks corroded and it's this yellow color and the other one is silver

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 90

53kyle

macrumors 65816
Mar 27, 2012
Sebastopol, CA
Have you tried using an external monitor? If the display connector is broken, but the rest of the components are fine, you might get something out of an external monitor.

sphirexx

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 20, 2014
Have you tried using an external monitor? If the display connector is broken, but the rest of the components are fine, you might get something out of an external monitor.

i need to see if i can get it to boot up first. the only time i have been able to was the first time i did the smc thing. But i saw the hdmi adapter at bestbuy earlier. if i can get it to boot after this and that is still an issue ill go pick one up and see if that helps. if so then ill be glad but it looks pretty damaged!

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
i need to see if i can get it to boot up first. the only time i have been able to was the first time i did the smc thing. But i saw the hdmi adapter at bestbuy earlier. if i can get it to boot after this and that is still an issue ill go pick one up and see if that helps. if so then ill be glad but it looks pretty damaged!

The gold part that is over the silver part is perfectly fine as far as I can tell in the pics. Paper is best but a regular towel will do no harm provided that none of the "towel fuzz" sticks to the board...

sphirexx

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 20, 2014
The gold part that is over the silver part is perfectly fine as far as I can tell in the pics. Paper is best but a regular towel will do no harm provided that none of the "towel fuzz" sticks to the board...

in five minutes it will have been soaking for half an hour then im going to take it out and lay it to dry. how long do you think i should let it dry for?

It's drying now. I keep seeing logic board repair things on ebay. whats that all about?

Last edited:

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
in five minutes it will have been soaking for half an hour then im going to take it out and lay it to dry. how long do you think i should let it dry for?

It's drying now. I keep seeing logic board repair things on ebay. whats that all about?

Quite possibly the same cleaning and basic repair like soldering new caps etc.

sphirexx

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 20, 2014
well its dead. i dont think ill be able to get her to start up again. do i just trash the logic board? is there anything else i can try? i think the battery is dead for good too. the light indicator lights and blinks but thats it. and when the charges plugged in, the first time i plug it in after reassembling it it lights up brightly but afterwords its very dim. I think thats about all I can really report. I dont know if anyone else could possibly repair it or if i should even try selling it or what. but i dont have any clue as to anything else i can do that i havent already tried. If anyone has any ideas feel free. Otherwise I think its safe to pronounce her dead. Thanks for everything though it was fun trying to get her up especially after that first time starting her with the smc thing and then again with the shorting thing. I think those two things did her in. If I wouldve just went straight to soaking and what not maybe she wouldve stood a chance but as of now i think shes gone. Now I have to find a replacement logic board! This will be fun!

Barney63

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2014
Bolton, UK.
Could it be fried??

I can't make out anything clearly from that image.
Like has been advised, make sure it is thoroughly cleaned and COMPLETELY dry before testing it.
Good luck.

Barney

edit: Ignore, I only read the first page, I didn't see the second lol

Last edited:

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
well its dead. i dont think ill be able to get her to start up again. do i just trash the logic board? is there anything else i can try? i think the battery is dead for good too. the light indicator lights and blinks but thats it. and when the charges plugged in, the first time i plug it in after reassembling it it lights up brightly but afterwords its very dim. I think thats about all I can really report. I dont know if anyone else could possibly repair it or if i should even try selling it or what. but i dont have any clue as to anything else i can do that i havent already tried. If anyone has any ideas feel free. Otherwise I think its safe to pronounce her dead. Thanks for everything though it was fun trying to get her up especially after that first time starting her with the smc thing and then again with the shorting thing. I think those two things did her in. If I wouldve just went straight to soaking and what not maybe she wouldve stood a chance but as of now i think shes gone. Now I have to find a replacement logic board! This will be fun!

Also make sure you have all connectors connected to the logic board firmly. Also did you remove the heat sink? If so did you reapply thermal paste?

sphirexx

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 20, 2014
Also make sure you have all connectors connected to the logic board firmly. Also did you remove the heat sink? If so did you reapply thermal paste?

yeah. pretty sure its dead and gone. I dont know anyone in the area thats into fixing computers to let them give a stab at it but im looking at logic boards on ebay and amazon. I hope its just the logic board thats messed up. I know the fan and HDD work but unsure about anything else.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
yeah. pretty sure its dead and gone. I dont know anyone in the area thats into fixing computers to let them give a stab at it but im looking at logic boards on ebay and amazon. I hope its just the logic board thats messed up. I know the fan and HDD work but unsure about anything else.

The keyboard could be shot too. Let me know what you are planning on buying.

sphirexx

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 20, 2014
The keyboard could be shot too. Let me know what you are planning on buying.

i just ordered the new board and sold the old one to the guy i bought the board from it should be here by monday and I also found out the lvds cable is probably what caused the board to completely die(How it booted and the drive clicked and fan worked and it chimed yet there was no video). He had me check the cables pins and sure enough, I didnt notice before, but a pin or two are missing it looks. So now im about to order a new cable and see abou replacing it. This is definetly a project!

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
i just ordered the new board and sold the old one to the guy i bought the board from it should be here by monday and I also found out the lvds cable is probably what caused the board to completely die(How it booted and the drive clicked and fan worked and it chimed yet there was no video). He had me check the cables pins and sure enough, I didnt notice before, but a pin or two are missing it looks. So now im about to order a new cable and see abou replacing it. This is definetly a project!

Definitely! Hope it isn't anything more than the Logic Board and cable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.