Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Firstly, my thanks to have been asked to judge this week: It is an honour and a privilege, and I am delighted to be able to do so.

And secondly, much more importantly, I would like to thank everyone who submitted an entry this week. This is not a easy subject matter, for a number of reasons, and – as always – the entries submitted are humbling in their expertise, creativity, originality in interpreting the subject matter, and mastery of the principles of photography and pictorial composition, with some lovely images submitted.

So, my thanks to one and all, and do, please, bear in mind that the judging this week – precisely because of the specific challenges of this subject matter, are even more subjective than usual.

Now, I wish to say – or rather, write - a few words about the theme and the specific challenges that it may have presented to those who have submitted entries.

And, I also wish to sketch out my own principles for judging this competition, for, while @Alexander.Of.Oz has set out his guidelines, and I shall be informed - to some extent - by them, precisely, because firstly, I am not him, and secondly, the nature of this competition means that subjective judgment will determine preferences to a greater extent than would be usual, my conclusions – and preferences – and choices, might not have been those entries, or submissions, selected by him.

The OP - @Alexander.Of.Oz – set the theme, and elaborated further when he framed it with a number of shots illustrating his understanding of these concepts.

To recap: The set theme is described as:

“One Word Feels:”

And again, to recap, I’ll repeat, or set out here, what the OP had written in his original post exactly what he envisaged this competition to be all about.

“This is a storytelling exploration in connoting an emotion or feeling through a visual still-frame photograph. By all means feel free to dive into the archives of your image repositories or to take the moment to investigate a feeling as you may see fit to express that through photographic capture and presentation.

If you are creating an image this week for the challenge, think about what you are conveying and how you can achieve that effectively for others to 'get it'.”

This is a subject matter that – in addition to the more usual physical challenges of creating, or crafting, an image, and focusing on content of the image, composition, framing, lighting – offers two further challenges – for, it is both abstract and subjective. And a third, in that this is to be described (and visually conveyed) in one word.

An abstract image presents a greater challenge, from the photographer’s (or artist’s) perspective, than does the visual representation of something concrete, where the challenges are reduced to the technical ones of lighting, composition, framing, and content, or subject matter.

More challenging still, is the fact that, nowadays, abstract images cannot be presented within a mutually understood metaphorical cultural context, or framework, or set of understood visual references.

In much of western medieval art, for example, a picture – a portrait - of a lady with a dove was not just a picture or portrait of a lady with a dove, but was a metaphor for “purity” widely understood across the western world. Or a unicorn (as yet another metaphor for female virginity, or purity).

And, within that world, tantalising teasing – as such images were played with, toyed with, inverted and subverted, in visual puns or hints - worked only because everyone in that world understood the cultural context, and references and therefore “got” the visual puns: Take a look at the stunning tapestry series The Lady and the Unicorn, (in the Cluny Museum in Paris) for an example of the abstract rendered superbly (and exquisitely). But, because we are no longer of that world, much of the meaning escapes us, though we can still recognize, appreciate, and salute, the exquisite artistry of the tapestries.

However, nowadays, we lack such a common cultural metaphorical reference, and thus, by definition, our understanding of (and portrayal of) the abstract, is both personal, often private, but inevitably, as a consequence, is highly subjective.

And, something that is experienced, expressed, or understood, subjectively, does not always travel well – or cannot be easily conveyed, least of all, visually, – to others.

In any case, already difficult to portray visually, for, while a picture may be worth a thousand words, sometimes, it may take a thousand words to explain a picture.

Moreover, as the theme is abstract, and not concrete, - and the ability to render a concrete image is one of the chief strengths of photography as an art form, or, as a means of rendering or expressing images, or merely, to tell a story, setting an abstract challenge serves, in some ways to subtly invert, or undermine, one of the narrative strengths of photography.

And then, to ask for something as subjective, and as abstract, to be expressed in an image that can best be described in one word, is a further challenge, for many “feelings” are ephemeral, and elusive, and are best portrayed in subtle nuanced brush-strokes, something that can be quite difficult to capture, convey, or, to actually do, visually.

Thus, the “feels” that can best be described in – or expressed in, an image tend to be the obvious ones; this is a theme that leaves less space for subtlety, and, if subtlety is attempted, subjective responses mean that it may not necessarily be understood or recognized.

All of this means that while I am very aware of the challenges – both in conveying an abstract concept in a visual medium, and the fact the subject matter “feels” is, by its very nature, exceptionally subjective, - in arriving at, or selecting images for podium spots, I am also guided by addressing whether the image presented works, firstly, as an image, (the classic rules of photography) and secondly, in the context of this contest, whether it works a as a metaphor for what it claims to describe.

And thirdly, whether it evokes (visually) some semblance of, or allows one to recognise, the emotion – or feeling - the image claims to describe, in fact, or in feeling, and/or as a metaphor.

And, fourthly, and finally, whether it manages to capture all of this in an image and metaphor of one word to convey a feeling, a limitation that I, personally, think may have been an ask too far.

So, without further ado, to this week’s images:

@Clix Pix: “Frustration”.

As a metaphor for “frustration”, a particularly timely, Covid-19 related frustration, this image works very well; one cannot swim – or use the swimming pool - this summer, which must be exceptionally frustrating for those who like to swim.

Moreover, I like the lines of blue cover on the inaccessible covered swimming pool, - and I love the stacked sun-loungers, stashed in the distance, a detail that would normally only be seen at the end of the summer season, when coverings are replaced, and the sun loungers put away for the winter.

While I like the vertical lines of the room, which intersect elegantly with the squared pattern on the pool covering, to my eye, they are too strong and run the risk of dominating the image; I think the image would have been better if the vertical lines of the door (or French window) were less prominent.

@deep diver: “Defeated”.

As a photograph, an image, this works: It is a very nice head and shoulders shot of someone I assume is a footballer. The face is well captured, the composition excellent, the color contrast very well done.

However, the problem is, his expression does not necessarily convey the emotion, or the “feeling” of “defeated”. It could just as equally easily convey, or signal, that he is bored, frustrated, fed up, annoyed, and this would be my reading of his expression. “Defeat” should lead to greater emotion, if he “felt” for his team, or cared deeply about the result. Thus, as a metaphor, this doesn’t really work for me.

@kenoh: “Monday”.

I love this: It is clever, witty, - it brings a grin to your face just looking at it - an excellent image and works really well as a metaphor.

Okay, I love a well shot black and white image – then, the subject matter and composition and lines are what matter, without the distraction that colour can bring.

Anyway, I love the monochrome nature of the shot, the lack of distractions, the composition, - normally, I prefer it if an image is not in the centre of the shot, but here, the image in the centre of the shot is the whole point of the picture, and it works.

And, best of all, it works wonderfully as metaphor: That curled up ball of fur, that paw over the face and eye, that rejection of the dawning day and refusal to want to face the coming week, this is brilliant. Who hasn’t felt this way on a wet Monday morning in the deepest, darkest depths of winter? Not I.

@Hughmac: “Nurtured”.

I like this image: It works well as an actual image – lovely subject matter, the colours adding to (rather than distracting from) the subject matter of the image, very good composition, and clean, elegant lines.

And, it works as a metaphor: Nurturing, caring for and feeding your young, the kind of shot that evokes a warm glow internally (thus, emotionally, in terms of feeling, it works), a warmth added to (or supported by) the use of colour: While I love black and white, to my mind, portraying the theme of “nurture” works far better in warm colours.

@Strider64: “Itchy”.

Lovely shot. This is another image where the use of colour – especially the heightened contrast between the alert squirrel and its verdant, vibrant, (but fittingly, just a little out of focus, nice use of depth of field) green surroundings – works well.

As an image, it is lovely, and the actual squirrel is precisely, sharply and very well taken, and a striking contrast with its background.

But, as metaphor, and, as a “feeling”, is the squirrel itchy, or inquisitive? Is it curiously surveying its surroundings, or pausing while hunting for nuts? I don’t know, and the picture doesn’t really tell me.

@mackmgg: “Summer”.

Terrific image, as a visual composition, or construction, lovely control of light and shade, - it looks as though it could be a black and white shot, even though it’s not.

The rain, and hailstone shower looks ferocious, and freezing. Visually, one shivers, and the starkness of the shot is arresting, and the strong lines add enormously to the power of the image.

But, but, but: Quite apart from metaphor, indeed, entirely removed from the world of metaphor, this is not – by any stretch of any imagination – a shot that can credibly pass as any kind of representation of “summer” – (“summer storm”, or “summer shower”, perhaps, but we are confined to the use of one word, not two, or three), even ironically.

And, nor does it work as a metaphor for “summer”, and nor does it evoke any sense of “feeling” for, or a feel of, summer. It is a great shot, but it does not suggest summer, not in fact, in thought, (or metaphor), or feeling.

@oblomow: “Horny”.

As an image, firstly, despite the subject matter, I would have liked to see the colour contrast (and yes, as with all wildlife shots, colour seems to work a lot better than black and white) between the two animals, the roebuck and the doe, and their background – muted, seasonal autumnal colours notwithstanding – more sharply delineated.

Secondly, I would have liked to see more of the female, the doe. Visually, the way the picture is shot, her eye is obscured, the old “the eye is the window to the soul” sort of stuff, whereas his is wild with desire, and black with focused distraction (or, perhaps, one is simply attributing such to him); at any rate, his eye is in focus, and so is he. She is not.

And, I think it would have been a better shot of something depicting “Horny” (or indeed, “horny, and/or perhaps not?”), for few things are funnier, to my female eye, than two well endowed – and, here, I mean with autumnal antlers – not anything else – male deer, two bucks, clattering wildly and furiously and energetically into one another with forest shattering violence, while the female object of their desire, crops, or nibbles, or snacks on, grass in the glade nearby, not so much oblivious, as entirely indifferent, to their challenge, the ferocity of their fight, and to their mastery of the art of antlered combat.

And this is my beef with the subject of this shot – and much wildlife photography in general - when sex comes into the equation, or, is depicted; it defines desire (horny) exclusively in terms of male desire, which is but one side of the story.

Indeed, in photography, as a more general aside, I cannot count the number of shots (male photographers starting out with a model in tow for the purposes of building a decent portfolio) where the lines and composition, and indeed, content, are fine (but tediously reminiscent of the old “male gaze”) but – unremarked by most, because that is not where their gaze lingers, or eyes rest – is the fact that the eyes of most female models are deader and less animated than the most moribund corpse, and the eyes are what I want to see, although, I’ll readily concede, with animals, I may be falling prey to anthropomorphic tendencies with this discussion.

Anyway, visually, I’d have liked to have seen the animals more prominently defined, especially the doe.

However, again, this picture describes what it says it describes: The buck is indeed horny. Thus, this is not a metaphor, and nor it is something that evokes a feeling: Rather, it is what it says it is, a visual image of a deer about to mount a doe, and he is indeed, horny.

@mollyc: “Komorebi”.

I love learning new words, and this is one of two new words I have learned this week. For those who have not clicked on the link @mollyc so kindly attached to her entry, “Komorebi” is a Japanese word for “sunlight that filters through the leaves of trees”, or, a word that describes this effect.

Visually, this picture is gorgeous; I love the image, the actual subject matter, the composition, the colours, complementary in their dappled contrasts, and the elegant control of both light and shade.

It is a lovely rendition of the concept of “Komorebi”, and would not be out of place as a Japanese print, or postcard.

But, it is not a metaphor, because it depicts exactly what it describes; for, this image shows us a “fact”, - the fact of sunlight filtering through the leaves of trees – but does not depict a “feel”, (other than, that is gorgeous).

@redshifted: “Pareidolia”.

Another new word, one I had to look up, so thank you for it, I love to learn new words, and facts, and things, no matter how obscure.

“Pareidolia” means the tendency to put (private, mental, visual) shape or order on images, to make some sense of them, to identify – and superimpose familiar patterns or shapes (what the dictionary calls “an incorrect perception”), such as seeing shapes in clouds, or a face on the moon, or, as is the case here, in a carved wooden door, or fence.

Personally, I love black and white, and this is a lovely image.

I love the black and white, the spare image, the clean lines, the composition, the contrasting light and shade, and the actual image. As a photograph, and an image, - a visual representation - it works more than well.

However, again, while this works well – very well – visually, as an image depicting the human tendency to try to put some order our world by seeing that which is not there (in this case, some of the features of a face in wood), it is not a metaphor, - it describes (visually) what it purports to describe, rather than metaphorically, and neither does it evoke an emotion, or a “feeling”.

@akash.nu: “Warning”.

I do like the somewhat ominous and threatening sky (which adds nicely to the sense of “warning”), and the landscape, which is not welcoming, but, overall, this does not convey a sense of “warning”, or menace, or of danger, if one disregards the notice and proceeds; rather, it conveys the sense of a the kind of sign one sees outside a child’s bedroom, the one that belongs to a child with a highly developed sense of personal space, the one that reads, “Do not enter; this is Jack’s/Jill’s Room”.

So, the threat conveyed by the sign does not seem to be especially credible.

And, it is not clear whether the prohibition on not entering – and it says “warning” not, “private, no entry” – applies to the house in the foreground, or to the larger mansion (or two) style dwelling – dwellings? - in the background, which might convey a greater sense of danger, because to seek to deny entry to such a building would be somewhat more credible.

And, visually, I think that there is too much going on here, in terms of colour, contrast, and content, and it does not come together as a single (united theme), let alone one that suggests warning, or danger.

And nor does it really work as a metaphor, or (apart from the lowering, threatening sky, which is genuinely ominous) in the sense of evoking a feeling, or sense of threat, or danger, or menace.

@Laird Knox: “Love”.

Absolutely superb; I love the fact that the shot is in black and white, and love the lines, the lighting (and the shading), the composition, the framing of the image, and the strength and depth of the image, an image yet tempered with tenderness.

As an image, and, as a metaphor to convey a feeling, a one word feeling, in this instance, “Love”, (once upon a not too distant time, a love that dared not speak its name, for it was an illegal love), this is stunning.

It is also a object lesson of how to convey the concept of gay “Love” in a way that is sensual, sexual and thoughtful, respectful of the people who comprise its subject matter and who are its subjects, yet is not remotely crude, or coarse, or vulgar, and neither offensive nor seeking to “objectify” its subject matter, as so much male photography of matters sexual sometimes does, especially if the person photographed is a woman.

That brings me to the podium places for this week:

Third: @Hughmac: “Nurtured”.

Nailed both metaphor and image; a lovely, heart-warming shot.

Second: @kenoh: “Monday”:

Loved it, a lovely – and clever, and witty - shot that works brilliantly as both image and as metaphor, and one that worked so well that I laughed aloud.

First: @Laird Knox: “Love”:

Superb. A fantastic and powerful shot that is both sensual and sensitive yet beautifully composed and framed. And one that works superbly both as image and metaphor.

Once again, thank you for inviting me to judge this week's competition, it was an honour and a privilege, and thank you also for taking the time to submit such excellent entries, putting yourselves and your images forward, in what was a very challenging weekly competition.

Last edited:

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Kudos to you, SS, for taking on the daunting challenge of judging entries for a weekly competition which had a particularly potentially daunting topic! Congratulations to the three of you on the podium, and it was truly interesting seeing how different people interpreted this topic, what they brought to it.....

I shot that image on a very hot day shortly after having received notification from our condo association's management company that the pool was not going to be opening at all this summer after all. We had all waited patiently through the end of May and the entire month of June, when the pool didn't open at the usual beginning of the season, in anticipation that it would finally do so in July since many stay-at-home restrictions had been lifted. For various reasons our condo board decided that it would be best not to open at all this year, and while I understood and agreed with many of the reasons, I was indeed frustrated. It was a long, hot summer!

The pool is an outdoor pool, and the tarp is is the one which is usually put on it at the end of the swimming season, and remains on it all winter, only coming off as the pool is prepared for the new summer ahead. The entire thing is enclosed by a fence, and access to it is through our community clubhouse, the main level of which contains the usual changing rooms, restrooms and showers for male and female swimmers. Although I have shot photos of the pool in the past where I usually poke the lens through the fencing in order to just show the pool area, for this image I deliberately wanted to leave some of the fencing in the shot in order to emphasize the sense of frustration, of being locked out, etc.

Last edited:

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
Scepticalscribe -- thank you so much for stepping in this way. I have done this a couple of times and know that it is an impossible task.

I love when Scepticalscribe judges. She gives us hard critiques that are never harsh. More than that, however, her judging is a philosophical treatise on the topic, subjects, and process. I get so caught up in the philosophical narratives that it no longer matters to me who places.

My image defied the "one word" requirement. There was a lot going on that day. The Solon, OH high school (American) football team is ranked as one of the top teams in the state. The game on this day was one we should have been able to win very easily. We were losing pretty remarkably. This young man was a senior who played with intense emotional and physical energy. He was injured about half way through the game. (You can see his crutches over his right shoulder.) Fortunately, he was able to return to the field within a couple of weeks. On top of all of that, he was not too happy about being photographed at that moment, even from a distance. I took this about 10 minutes after the trainer benched him. He was angry, frustrated, and disappointed. The stare reflects a quiet aspect of his intensity. It appeared to me that, more than any other feeling, he felt defeated both personally and as a member of the team.

Hughmac

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2012
Kent, UK
Oh wow, a podium - thanks very much for your kind words, and for kindly stepping in.

A lucky capture and something I've never seen so clearly before. The birds even carried on the feeding while I slid away and got my camera and big lens out.

A very difficult brief, and well covered both by the entries and the sensitive judging, so I feel that everyone has done a great job.
Special congratulations to the other podium winners; I loved the little mouse, and the beautiful photo that depicted love :)

Cheers :)

Hugh

Last edited:

Laird Knox

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2010
@Laird Knox: “Love”.

Absolutely superb; I love the fact that the shot is in black and white, and love the lines, the lighting (and the shading), the composition, the framing of the image, and the strength and depth of the image, an image yet tempered with tenderness.

As an image, and, as a metaphor to convey a feeling, a one word feeling, in this instance, “Love”, (once upon a not too distant time, a love that dared not speak its name, for it was an illegal love), this is stunning.

It is also a object lesson of how to convey the concept of gay “Love” in a way that is sensual, sexual and thoughtful, respectful of the people who comprise its subject matter and who are its subjects, yet is not remotely crude, or coarse, or vulgar, and neither offensive nor seeking to “objectify” its subject matter, as so much male photography of matters sexual sometimes does, especially if the person photographed is a woman.

Thank you for stepping in and judging this week's challenge. It was a pleasure to read your thoughts and critiques.

This image was shot on a 4x5 large format camera so it was one and done. No, hold that while I reload the camera. :) I described what I was looking for in the portrait and they nailed it. You don't know what you have until it emerges from the darkroom. I love the tones you get off of film.

We only took three or four images that day. The results made for a fun triptych. Only the center image was fully processed. I just stuck the images together as a triptych to some them. In the last image they were horsing around and didn't know I had the camera ready. ;)

1600457452508.png

Thanks again for taking the point on this one. You did a fantastic job.

I'll post up a new contest in a bit.

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Cannot add anything that hasn’t been said already but yes wholly concur @Scepticalscribe, a benchmark in judging standards.

Thank you for your comments. The ball of fluff is called Watermelon and when curled up like this she is smaller (And normally faster) than a golf ball.

The quality of images and submissions is fantastic everyone. Very nice and a worthy winner.

redshifted

Cancelled
Oct 10, 2014
@redshifted: “Pareidolia”.

Another new word, one I had to look up, so thank you for it, I love to learn new words, and facts, and things, no matter how obscure.

“Pareidolia” means the tendency to put (private, mental, visual) shape or order on images, to make some sense of them, to identify – and superimpose familiar patterns or shapes (what the dictionary calls “an incorrect perception”), such as seeing shapes in clouds, or a face on the moon, or, as is the case here, in a carved wooden door, or fence.

Personally, I love black and white, and this is a lovely image.

I love the black and white, the spare image, the clean lines, the composition, the contrasting light and shade, and the actual image. As a photograph, and an image, - a visual representation - it works more than well.

However, again, while this works well – very well – visually, as an image depicting the human tendency to try to put some order our world by seeing that which is not there (in this case, some of the features of a face in wood), it is not a metaphor, - it describes (visually) what it purports to describe, rather than metaphorically, and neither does it evoke an emotion, or a “feeling”.

With all due respect - you're wrong.

My image works on the level of using one word (that folks aren't generally familiar with) and provides an emotional "feel" using the visual metaphor of a smirking/smiling face in the wood. You didn't get the multiple levels - shrug. The "one word" was used as a hint towards the emotional "feel" depicted in the wood.

The winner is a fine picture, but it's not a metaphor for love. It's a literal depiction of love.

Thanks for judging but I'm underwhelmed by your "critiques" of the various images. You went with the easiest choices.

• Sad
Reactions: Alexander.Of.Oz

Hughmac

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2012
Kent, UK

My image works on the level of using one word (that folks aren't generally familiar with) and provides an emotional "feel" using the visual metaphor of a smirking/smiling face in the wood. You didn't get the multiple levels - shrug. The "one word" was used as a hint towards the emotional "feel" depicted in the wood.

The winner is a fine picture, but it's not a metaphor for love. It's a literal depiction of love.

Thanks for judging but I'm underwhelmed by your "critiques" of the various images. You went with the easiest choices.
Oh boy! This is meant to be an informal challenge amongst internet friends, and I for one am sorry that you feel the way you do.
The judge is there to make a difficult decision based on their own interpretation and feeling, and sometimes I have smarted under critical comments, but please never let it take the fun out of entering and taking part in the friendly rivalry and banter.

Hugh

mollyc

macrumors 604
Aug 18, 2016

As someone who has both received and given critiques (both at MR and on other forums), I would please ask for a bit of grace here. As Hugh said, this is meant to be a lighthearted competition, and let's not lose sight of the fact that @Scepticalscribe stepped in to judge a contest that she did not initiate. It is entirely possible that Alex would have judged differently and he obviously had a clear vision in mind for this theme. That SS stepped in without having even seen one entry to offer comments, and for a slightly off the wall subject matter, I think gives her a bit of latitude with her comments.

I recently hosted a competition here and was met with similar discordance in my remarks and my intent was never sadden participants and I believe the same can be said for SS. We are all doing our best here, both with our entries and our critiques.

Alexander.Of.Oz

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 29, 2013
My humblest apologies for failing to uphold my civic duties as a resident of this corner of the interwebz. I got back this morning and had a series of communication problems once out beyond Woop-woop, meaning no possibility to get back on to the site or social media and then my credit card was completely frozen after someone repeatedly attempted multiple purchases out of Asia, with the bank issuing a new one at will and with me some 800km's away from picking it up (which I still have to do tomorrow, but, fortunately my partner was able to send me one of hers as an interim fix, not that it fixed the communication woes, but I did delight in the freedom of non-contact I experienced!). Apart from that it was an amazing trip.

@Scepticalscribe I owe a huge thanks for your willingness to step in on my behalf, especially with such an esoteric theme at play! The judging was outstanding, as is your commentary and insight.

I was a little unsure about @mollyc and @redshifted 's image entries. I didn't see Molly's as a "feels" as such. I had to confer with my partner's sister-in-law who is Japanese and she explained that whilst the word Molly used is of authentic Japanese heritage, it is an observation, a descriptor of something happening in Nature, rather than a "feeling" or "emotion". I'm a pedant, I know... RedShifted's image illustrated a "feels" with the face smirking, that I immediately got, but the accompanying word threw me a little and then I got their humorous mixing things up! It took me a while, but discussion with my support worker on the initial drive to the wombat sanctuary helped elucidate the inference at play and I honestly found it whimsical.

There is no point in me supplying what my choices of judging would have been, the cards have fallen and it's best to let them play out.

Again, my humblest apologies for heading off into the back of beyond and the technological disasters that unfolded for me, creating no contact with you all. I am now switching carriers to one that has far wider and more reliable coverage, as re-visiting these areas is going to occur maybe four or five times a year now for me at maybe a week at a time stretches.

Last edited:

Hughmac

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2012
Kent, UK
My humblest apologies for failing to uphold my civic duties as a resident of this corner of the interwebz. I got back this morning and had a series of communication problems once out beyond Woop-woop, meaning no possibility to get back on to the site or social media and then my credit card was completely frozen after someone repeatedly attempted multiple purchases out of Asia, with the bank issuing a new one at will and with me some 800km's away from picking it up (which I still have to do tomorrow, but, fortunately my partner was able to send me one of hers as an interim fix, not that it fixed the communication woes, but I did delight in the freedom of non-contact I experienced!). Apart from that it was an amazing trip.

@Scepticalscribe I owe a huge thanks for your willingness to step in on my behalf, especially with such an esoteric theme at play! The judging was outstanding, as is your commentary and insight.

I was a little unsure about @mollyc and @redshifted 's image entries. I didn't see Molly's as a "feels" as such. I had to confer with my partner's sister-in-law who is Japanese and she explained that whilst the word Molly used is of authentic Japanese heritage, it is an observation, a descriptor of something happening in Nature, rather than a "feeling" or "emotion". I'm a pedant, I know... RedShifted's image illustrated a "feels" with the face smirking, that I immediately got, but the accompanying word threw me a little and then I got their humorous mixing things up! It took me a while, but discussion with my support worker on the initial drive to the wombat sanctuary helped elucidate the inference at play and I honestly found it whimsical.

There is no point in me supplying what my choices of judging would have been, the cards have fallen and it's best to let them play out.

Again, my humblest apologies for heading off into the back of beyond and the technological disasters that unfolded for me, creating no contact with you all. I am now switching carriers to one that has far wider and more reliable coverage, as re-visiting these areas is going to occur maybe four or five times a year now for me at maybe a week at a time stretches.
More than anything, I am glad your are all right :)

Hugh

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Welcome back, @Alexander.Of.Oz, and I am very happy to learn that you have returned safe and sound from your travels.

While in it was an honour and a privilege to have been asked to judge in your absence, I hope that you didn't think it presumptuous, and that I was able to to do justice to the (challenging) theme that you had set.

Glad to see you back, mate.

• Love
Reactions: Alexander.Of.Oz

Alexander.Of.Oz

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 29, 2013
Welcome back, @Alexander.Of.Oz, and I am very happy to learn that you have returned safe and sound from your travels.

While in it was an honour and a privilege to have been asked to judge in your absence, I hope that you didn't think it presumptuous, and that I was able to to do justice to the (challenging) theme that you had set.

Glad to see you back, mate.
Dear @Scepticalscribe, your efforts and willingness to step in when one of us falters in whatever way, shape or form could never be seen as presumptuous. It is always a delight to read the thought and observation you share in such an insightful manner.

My apologies for tossing such a random theme out there for you to continue on with; that was not my intention, and you excelled at that challenge! Reading your deep observations and rumination on the theme set was most enjoyable and your adjudicating was faultless, as always.

You are always welcome and appreciated in the utmost fashion here. Thank you so much, good lady, for stepping forth and assisting with such grace and elegance with this round so as to enable its completion.

mollyc

macrumors 604
Aug 18, 2016
Yay, I am so happy that @Alexander.Of.Oz is back and wombat free! I think we all assumed the best and hoped for not the worst, and it is great that technology troubles were all that tripped you up.

I see what you and @Scepticalscribe say about my photo and word choice, that it is a descriptor rather than a feeling word. I guess you are not wrong about that in a strict sense. There probably is not an actual word that describes what I feel when I see light filtering through trees. I took a photography class on Voice last year and I learned through various exercises that looking at "tree light" is very important to me, among a lot of other things. My daughter rolls her eyes at me when I stop to photograph light through trees. It's actually really hard to capture that well because the dynamic range is typically too great for our cameras. Most of my images that I take of that are throwaways, but I don't mind because at least I've stopped to appreciate it.

Anyway, to me using a Japanese word seemed to convey more emotion than something like "serenity" or "peace" which aren't really at all the words that describes my feeling for tree light. But yes, I see that my word didn't convey any feeling. No matter, I still appreciate everyone's thoughts and comments and I am mostly just really happy that Alex is well. ?

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
Yay, I am so happy that @Alexander.Of.Oz is back and wombat free! I think we all assumed the best and hoped for not the worst, and it is great that technology troubles were all that tripped you up.

I see what you and @Scepticalscribe say about my photo and word choice, that it is a descriptor rather than a feeling word. I guess you are not wrong about that in a strict sense. There probably is not an actual word that describes what I feel when I see light filtering through trees. I took a photography class on Voice last year and I learned through various exercises that looking at "tree light" is very important to me, among a lot of other things. My daughter rolls her eyes at me when I stop to photograph light through trees. It's actually really hard to capture that well because the dynamic range is typically too great for our cameras. Most of my images that I take of that are throwaways, but I don't mind because at least I've stopped to appreciate it.

Anyway, to me using a Japanese word seemed to convey more emotion than something like "serenity" or "peace" which aren't really at all the words that describes my feeling for tree light. But yes, I see that my word didn't convey any feeling. No matter, I still appreciate everyone's thoughts and comments and I am mostly just really happy that Alex is well. ?

This raises an interesting philosophical question:. Can words that are generally considered not to name emotions legitimately.be put forward as names, descriptors, or metaphors for emotions? I think "yes.". I see this happening every day, whether in myself or my clients. (I have one client with whom we use the word "pebbles" to name a lifetime of very complicated experiences and emotions. The context tells how the word is being used in that moment, but it often describes his emotional experience.) Language and the way we use it are complex, imprecise, limited, often arbitrary, and often vague. Because of this, we often use words not in their pure or intended way.

Alexander.Of.Oz

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 29, 2013

@mollyc in no possible way, shape or form is my love of your photographic investigations of light falling upon or shining through leaves diminished. I fully understand the feeling it elicits within you, and the wonderment you experience as you investigate that with the chosen device of digital camera and associated kit. Conveying that in a one word fashion, I feel, is an exercise in futility for us speakers of English as our language for communicating. It is a complex experience we have when taken into the wonder of this magical interplay of light and life.

Please, keep at it, I for one will never bore of these explorations of light and life you undertake!

mollyc

macrumors 604
Aug 18, 2016
@mollyc in no possible way, shape or form is my love of your photographic investigations of light falling upon or shining through leaves diminished. I fully understand the feeling it elicits within you, and the wonderment you experience as you investigate that with the chosen device of digital camera and associated kit. Conveying that in a one word fashion, I feel, is an exercise in futility for us speakers of English as our language for communicating. It is a complex experience we have when taken into the wonder of this magical interplay of light and life.

Please, keep at it, I for one will never bore of these explorations of light and life you undertake!

Oh, no, I completely understood that you and SS both enjoyed my photo and that I failed the task of finding a suitable one word to describe it. ? No tears or tantrums here. I actually really love words and find myself slightly annoyed that I didn't find a more suitable word for my photo. But I am more relieved that I was not thrown close to the podium this week! it's been kind of brutal to be a judge lately. ?

Alexander.Of.Oz

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 29, 2013
Oh, no, I completely understood that you and SS both enjoyed my photo and that I failed the task of finding a suitable one word to describe it. ? No tears or tantrums here. I actually really love words and find myself slightly annoyed that I didn't find a more suitable word for my photo. But I am more relieved that I was not thrown close to the podium this week! it's been kind of brutal to be a judge lately. ?
Dear @mollyc it's not a failure at all. The one word usage was a huge challenge in and of itself, to convey that with photographic image to others was also a challenge! It was a hard ask of everyone, but I do like to get people to think about their photography in broader and deeper fashion than just picking up a camera and snapping! ;) Something I believe you to do as it shows with your imagery.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.