Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alexander.Of.Oz

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 29, 2013
Howdy folks and welcome to the next enthralling instalment of MacRumors Weekly Photo Challenge! Cue the spotlights, play the theme song, bring out the clowns in mini-cars and dancing ponies!

A simple motif from me for this weeks round, "One Word Feels". This is a storytelling exploration in connoting an emotion or feeling through a visual still-frame photograph. By all means feel free to dive into the archives of your image repositories or to take the moment to investigate a feeling as you may see fit to express that through photographic capture and presentation.

If you are creating an image this week for the challenge, think about what you are conveying and how you can achieve that effectively for others to 'get it'.

My Rules for this round:
  1. Give me one image and one non-hyphenated word to connote the feeling you are conveying in said image.
  2. Provide any more than one word or a word with a hyphen and ineligibility to provide the following round of this weekly challenge series is proudly yours!
  3. You may include as many vowels, consonants and syllables as you can fit in to said singular confabulation. I feel the Dutch (thanks for informing me of this proud heritage characteristic @oblomow ), the Welsh and the Germans may possibly have an unfair advantage here, if they choose to use their own vernacular!
  4. The usual US $50 bribes are available for securing a safe second or third position. (AFB & Deep Diver, I'm looking at you two! Papa needs a brand new lens! ;))

My examples as further explanation:

Here are a range of my own images to illustrate that this does not necessarily require people to convey emotion, along with my own 'One Word Feels' for them all. The beauty of this is that you may or may not resonate to any of my visual expressions here, for you these emotions or feelings I share may well be better expressed with other visual allegories! That's perfectly okay as we are individuals, with uniquely differing life experiences to frame the way we see and feel.

Please, feel free to use any of the words I may have used, they are just to show a few examples of how this does not necessarily need the human or animal factor to convey an emotion or feeling.

Awe
_DSC4447.jpg

Rebellious
_DSC4421.jpg

Playful
_MG_4931.jpg

Contemplative
_DSC0152.jpeg

Disenfranchised
_DSC1088-Enhanced.jpg

Isolated
_DSC1268.jpg

Abandoned
_DSC1305.jpg

Well, what are you waiting for? Have at it and have fun in the process. I look forward to seeing all your expressions. :cool:

--------

Standard rules apply.

Follow all relevant local laws regarding stay-at-home orders. If you can't go outside, try and take a photo at home or grab one from the archives.
  • Do not comment, vote, react or click “like” on images prior to the winners being announced.
  • The photographs must be your own work.
  • You may only submit one photo per contest.
  • This contest runs for one week. If in doubt, check the dates in the title.
  • At the end of the week, The Judge will choose a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place photo, providing as much feedback as possible.
  • If the Judge is unable to complete the selection within 48 hours of the deadline, then last week's 2nd place has to step in. 3rd place takes over should 2nd place be similarly unable to officiate.
  • The 1st place Winner will start a new thread with the topic/theme of their choice, and act as the Judge for that contest. (Winner has 48 hours to create a new theme, after that it defers to 2nd place).
  • Be sure to update the Contest Master List as soon as you post a new theme.

Last edited:

oblomow

macrumors 601
Apr 14, 2005
Netherlands
HA! Welsh and german? Don't rule out the dutch language. No spaces allowed. The top ten:

1. aansprakelijkheidswaardevaststellingsveranderingen (50)
  2. potentiaalvereffeningswandcontactdoosafdekplaatje (49)
  3. aansprakelijkheidswaardevaststellingsverandering (48)
  4. arbeidsongeschiktheidsverzekeringsmaatschappij (46)
  5. werknemersvertegenwoordiger-hoofdbestuurslid (44)
  6. producentenaansprakelijkheidsverplichtingen (43)
  7. commissarissenaansprakelijkheidsverzekering (43)
  8. arbeidsongeschiktheidsverzekeringsuitkering (43)
  9. arbeidsongeschiktheidsverzekeringsformulier (43)
  10. concernfinancieringsvennootschapsdirecteur (42)

Alexander.Of.Oz

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 29, 2013
HA! Welsh and german? Don't rule out the dutch language. No spaces allowed. The top ten:

#5 would be deemed invalid, as it has a hyphen! ?

Alexander.Of.Oz

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 29, 2013
Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia - fear of long words ;)

Cheers :)

Hugh
In Australia, where everything is shortened or abbreviated, we prefer the term Sesquipedalophobia, thank you. ;)

Writing your feedback now...
An interesting pairing with that cartoonish winking face image, a bit heavy handed on the clarity though, Hugh, taking it into the extreme HDR look now!

mollyc

macrumors 604
Aug 18, 2016

Are these common words? How do they translate to English?

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK

I have seen easier to read encrypted text.... :)

oblomow

macrumors 601
Apr 14, 2005
Netherlands
Are these common words? How do they translate to English?

No. These are not common words. ( aansprakelijkheidswaardevaststellingsveranderingen: liability valuation changes). But they are valid dutch words. The rule is 'when in doubt, do not use spaces between words', so long composite words are no exception. 'Angstschreeuw' (scream for fear) is a real, but shorter, word. 'jeugdverpleegkundige' (school nurse), 'opstartperiode' (start up time), 'pauzeruimtes' (break rooms) 'contactpersoon' (contact person) are all words I copied from a letter from the school principal.

Last edited:

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
Howdy folks and welcome to the next enthralling instalment of MacRumors Weekly Photo Challenge! Cue the spotlights, play the theme song, bring out the clowns in mini-cars and dancing ponies!

A simple motif from me for this weeks round, "One Word Feels". This is a storytelling exploration in connkioting an emotion or feeling through a visual still-frame photograph. By all means feel free to dive into the archives of your image repositories or to take the moment to investigate a feeling as you may see fit to express that through photographic capture and presentation.

If you are creating an image this week for the challenge, think about what you are conveying and how you can achieve that effectively for others to 'get it'.

My Rules for this round:
  1. Give me one image and one non-hyphenated word to connote the feeling you are conveying in said image.
  2. Provide any more than one word or a word with a hyphen and ineligibility to provide the following round of this weekly challenge series is proudly yours!
  3. You may include as many vowels, consonants and syllables as you can fit in to said singular confabulation. I feel the Dutch (thanks for informing me of this proud heritage characteristic @oblomow ), the Welsh and the Germans may possibly have an unfair advantage here, if they choose to use their own vernacular!
  4. The usual US $50 bribes are available for securing a safe second or third position. (AFB & Deep Diver, I'm looking at you two! Papa needs a brand new lens! ;))

My examples as further explanation:

Here are a range of my own images to illustrate that this does not necessarily require people to convey emotion, along with my own 'One Word Feels' for them all. The beauty of this is that you may or may not resonate to any of my visual expressions here, for you these emotions or feelings I share may well be better expressed with other visual allegories! That's perfectly okay as we are individuals, with uniquely differing life experiences to frame the way we see and feel.

Please, feel free to use any of the words I may have used, they are just to show a few examples of how this does not necessarily need the human or animal factor to convey an emotion or feeling.

Awe
View attachment 950657

Rebellious
View attachment 950658

Playful
View attachment 950659

Contemplative
View attachment 950660

Disenfranchised
View attachment 950664

Isolated
View attachment 950665

Abandoned
View attachment 950666

Well, what are you waiting for? Have at it and have fun in the process. I look forward to seeing all your expressions. :cool:

--------

Standard rules apply.

Follow all relevant local laws regarding stay-at-home orders. If you can't go outside, try and take a photo at home or grab one from the archives.
  • Do not comment, vote, react or click “like” on images prior to the winners being announced.
  • The photographs must be your own work.
  • You may only submit one photo per contest.
  • This contest runs for one week. If in doubt, check the dates in the title.
  • At the end of the week, The Judge will choose a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place photo, providing as much feedback as possible.
  • If the Judge is unable to complete the selection within 48 hours of the deadline, then last week's 2nd place has to step in. 3rd place takes over should 2nd place be similarly unable to officiate.
  • The 1st place Winner will start a new thread with the topic/theme of their choice, and act as the Judge for that contest. (Winner has 48 hours to create a new theme, after that it defers to 2nd place).
  • Be sure to update the Contest Master List as soon as you post a new theme.

Ithasonlybeentwentyfourhoursandyouarealreadyscrewed (51)

5-55517_who-rules-michigan-man-with-screw-cartoon.jpg

Last edited:

Alexander.Of.Oz

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 29, 2013
Thanks for the entries thus far, a few more would be nice, but I don't mind either way! This next week and a half is a flat out one for me, so I am writing my responses as entries come on through, allowing myself the opportunity to just cut and paste them on judgement day, when I shall be eagerly frollicking with wombats at a dear friends wombat sanctuary!

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
Thanks for the entries thus far, a few more would be nice, but I don't mind either way! This next week and a half is a flat out one for me, so I am writing my responses as entries come on through, allowing myself the opportunity to just cut and paste them on judgement day, when I shall be eagerly frollicking with wombats at a dear friends wombat sanctuary!

I've never thought to use the words "frolic" and "wombat" in the same sentence. "Dear friends," however, are always wonderful. Have fun.

mackmgg

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
Summer:
D9678619-770F-432D-A8FC-C597A3562B9F.jpeg

And yes, I took this photo today in the northern hemisphere where it should be summer and was 100 degrees this past weekend...

Reactions: Clix Pix
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.