Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thirsty_monk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 10, 2017
Slovakia
This week's photo contest theme is - Bird watching. What's your best image of a bird(s)? Can be in flight, on a branch, under water, any environment will do.

As always, standard rules apply:

• The photographs must be your own work
  • You may only submit one photo per contest.
  • No commenting or liking photos until after the judging has taken place.
  • This contest runs for about a week, starting now
  • At the end of the competition, the judge (last week's winner) will choose a 1st, 2nd and 3rd place photo, providing as much feedback as possible.
  • The 1st place winner will start a new thread here with the topic/theme of their choice, and act as the judge for that contest. (Winner has 48 hours to create new theme, after that it defers to 2nd place).
  • Be sure to update the Contest Master List as soon as you post a new theme.
  • Contest ends 23rd of January 2024
Have fun!

Attachments

• IMG_0805_20231126.jpg
    IMG_0805_20231126.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 85

thirsty_monk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 10, 2017
Slovakia
Here I am with the results, thanks for the patience. Not an easy one this week, but I’m very happy to see lots of entries.

@_timo_redux_ Love this picture, great capture of action, contrast between black and white, backlit, it’s just lovely. Top of the image with the bright line is a bit distracting for me, I would probably edit it out.

@oblomow Cute little owls, like the fluffiness and the “Awwww” feeling of this image.

@mtbdudex Another great picture with strong story within. What are they doing? Arguing? Chatting? Planning a night out? Like it.

@tizeye Great image of a great bird, like the details in feathers, but the white bit at top once again a bit distracting for me.

@someoldguy On this picture I checked the shutter speed, I know it should be high but always forget. Brilliant capture, technically and also story wise.

@ovbacon I just love the colors in this image, all of them and their combination. The little red spot on the humming bird just draws your eye in.

@Strider64 When I saw this image for the first time it made me laugh. Probably everyone has a different story in mind, I’m not going to tell the details of mine 😉 Great image, colors, action, story.

@Apple_Glen_UK Lovely image of a magnificent bird. Shame about the shadow, but I can see the ground and lying down would be a very wet option 😊

@Janichsan “Wait a bit, you’ve got something on your cheek!” says cheeky bird. Awesome colors, we’ve learnt something from ‘Color theory’ week. It’s a bit blury, not sure if shot through some screen or maybe a slight camera shake.

@piatigorsky Birds on aliens’ ship. They wanted to fly a bit further this time. Like the black and white conversion. It looks like from the black and white movie era.

Here’s the podium.

3rd place: @mtbdudex, @ovbacon

2nd place: @someoldguy, @_timo_redux_

1st place: @Strider64

Congrats to winners and thank you all for participating.

tizeye

macrumors 68040
Jul 17, 2013
Orlando, FL
Here I am with the results, thanks for the patience. Not an easy one this week, but I’m very happy to see lots of entries.

@tizeye Great image of a great bird, like the details in feathers, but the white bit at top once again a bit distracting for me.

Congrats to winners and thank you all for participating.
First, congratulations to the winners

A little detail on my submission...
This was not at a zoo. Locally, the Audubon Society has a Birds of Prey Rehabilitation Center with the goal to return injured birds to the wild. With this eagle it may not be possible and became a permanent resident. You can take photos at the Center, but it is more zoo like.

This was a surprising opportunity. There was a spring country festival and Audubon had a booth. They bought several of their resident birds for open display. I had another that had a large oak giving a uniform textured background but was a profile image. I liked this straight on better despite the white background. It raises the question - birdwatching eyeball to eyeball...who is watching who?

Reactions: thirsty_monk

piatigorsky

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2008
@piatigorsky Birds on aliens’ ship. They wanted to fly a bit further this time. Like the black and white conversion. It looks like from the black and white movie era.
A bit of detail about mine as well. I’ve been shooting exclusively on film for the past few years, and in fact my submission was not a conversion to B&W, but rather shot on B&W film — to be specific, it was taken with a Nikon F5 on Ilford XP2 B&W film, an ISO 400 film but deliberately rated at 800, to produce a punchier contrast. I like the imaginative scenario of birds on an alien ship, even though it’s decidedly more mundane, just sparrows having a conversation on a road lamp!

Reactions: thirsty_monk
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.