Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Strider64

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 1, 2015
Suburb of Detroit
In the world of photography, light is everything. Yet, it's not just the presence of light that creates a compelling image, but also its absence. "Shadows and Silhouettes" is a theme that delves into this intriguing interplay of light and darkness. This theme encourages photographers to explore the nuanced world of shadows and silhouettes, capturing images where these elements are not just incidental, but central to the composition.

The goal of this theme is not just to capture the absence of light, but to use shadows and silhouettes as a powerful tool to add emotion, depth, and intrigue to your photography. Let the unseen and the outlined take center stage and speak volumes in your work.

I thought I would attempt to try something unique as I used ChatGPT to come up with the theme. AI isn't allowed it should be your own photography after all AI doesn't fit the spirit of the contest.

Here is what AI spitted out for an example ->
DALL·E 2024-01-25 12.36.29 - A serene evening scene showcasing shadows and silhouettes. The fo...png

Let us show that we are better than the AI's image. 😉
Here's my personal example ->

As always, standard rules apply:

• The photographs must be your own work
  • You may only submit one photo per contest.
  • No commenting or liking photos until after the judging has taken place.
  • This contest runs for about a week, starting now
  • At the end of the competition, the judge (last week's winner) will choose a 1st, 2nd and 3rd place photo, providing as much feedback as possible.
  • The 1st place winner will start a new thread here with the topic/theme of their choice, and act as the judge for that contest. (Winner has 48 hours to create new theme, after that it defers to 2nd place).
  • Be sure to update the Contest Master List as soon as you post a new theme.
  • Contest ends February 2, 2024
Have fun!

Last edited:

Strider64

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 1, 2015
Suburb of Detroit
The one thing I don't relish is judging as I like all the images in this contest; however, a winner must be picked in order for the Weekly Photo contest can go on.

Here are the results:

1. _timo_redux_ - I love how the trees frame the family, perfectly aligning with the "shadows and silhouettes" theme, although I would have preferred the photo in a landscape orientation with a slightly tighter crop. Nonetheless, I recognize that capturing moments like these often requires quick action, making it challenging to compose the shot precisely as desired.

2. tizeye - The flaming object juggling is impressive, and if it were possible to have a tie in this contest, this entry would certainly share the top spot for me. Perhaps viewing the image on a 27" screen influenced my decision to rank it second, as the subject appeared too close, preventing me from taking in the entire scene in one glance, rather than being too distant.

3. OldMacs4Me - The canyon photo is captivating, with the kayak adding a 'find Waldo' element to it. It would have been even more striking if the figures were slightly more prominent.

someoldguy - The sunset over the canyon creates a stunning visual spectacle, illuminating the rock formations with vibrant colors
thirsty_monk - The steeples (assuming that's the right term) are interesting, but having them a bit closer to the foreground might have made them stand out more?
oblomow - The image perfectly matches the 'shadows & silhouettes' theme, though I believe adding a touch of color would have really made it pop.

Last edited:

OldMacs4Me

macrumors 68020
May 4, 2018
Wild Rose And Wind Belt
Some fantastic entries. I was not expecting to make the podium!
3. OldMacs4Me - The canyon photo is captivating, with the kayak adding a 'find Waldo' element to it. It would have been even more striking if the figures were slightly more prominent.
Thanks for the honorable mention. That cavern was but one of many zen moments on the Grand Canyon trip. Who needs booze or drugs with views like that?

FWIW I would love to have had Roger standing in the same pose about 15 feet to the left. However it was a candid shot. Even just 3 days in I was well aware that I would have better success herding cats than getting anyone to pose.

I do need to rework this one a bit to see if I can bring out the raft just to the left of Roger.

Last edited:

someoldguy

macrumors 68030
Aug 2, 2009
usa
TY ... FWIW I liked @someoldguy 's entry the best.

New contest up
Actually , I would have picked yours . I stuck my entry in at the last moment to make @Strider64 work a bit . :) The shot was taken a few years back at Monument Valley on a sunrise photo trip into the Valley with one of the Navajo guides . At the time , I remember being kinda disappointed the clouds didn't allow me to get a big red orb of Sun . But once I got home , and looked at the image on a big screen , I changed my mind.

Reactions: _timo_redux_

tizeye

macrumors 68040
Jul 17, 2013
Orlando, FL
Here are the results:

2. tizeye - The flaming object juggling is impressive, and if it were possible to have a tie in this contest, this entry would certainly share the top spot for me. Perhaps viewing the image on a 27" screen influenced my decision to rank it second, as the subject appeared too close, preventing me from taking in the entire scene in one glance, rather than being too distant.
Congratulations to each and thanks for the honorable mention.

If ever in Key West Mallory Square at the end of Duval Street is the "happening place" each night for sunset - then hit the bars on Duval St. It is a party atmosphere with street performers among the seawall. While juggling on a unicycle is nice, have another of a sword swallower - but it was probably a half hour too early for a sunset to provide a silhouette. There was a silhouette I had to debate between with the party boat 'sunset cruise' and a twin masted sailboat passing between the island. Will put both of those in the next couple says POTD entries.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.