Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ovbacon

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 13, 2010
Tahoe, CA
Welcome to a new year of the "Weekly photo contest" entering it's 10th year (in this format but it started in 2008)!

This week contest is “Framed.” A photo of something in a frame or a subject that appears framed... a few examples below but if you have a interesting view on the subject put it up.

As always, standard rules apply:
  • The photographs must be your own work
  • You may only submit one photo per contest.
  • No commenting or liking photos until after the judging has taken place.
  • This contest runs for about a week, starting now
  • At the end of the competition, the judge (last week's winner) will choose a 1st, 2nd and 3rd place photo, providing as much feedback as possible. Apparently as emojis are challenging, their use should also include interpretation.
  • The 1st place winner will start a new thread here with the topic/theme of their choice, and act as the judge for that contest. (Winner has 48 hours to create new theme, after that it defers to 2nd place).
  • Be sure to update the Contest Master List as soon as you post a new theme.
  • Contest ends noon PST time (UTC-8) on january 14, 2024.
_MG_3263.jpg

IMG_0740.jpg

_MG_3191.jpg

Last edited:

ovbacon

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 13, 2010
Tahoe, CA
Thank you everyone for putting in a photo because without you playing this would be pretty boring and to put your work out there is always amazing.

@someoldguy: Wonderful photo that has a beautiful frame with a nice and clear subject.

@dwfaust: Frames within frames that make for a haunting image

@thirsty_monk: Nice an crisp subject with a very nice framing of branches and lights.

@tizeye: Very interesting take on it I just would have loved to have a more interesting "out of the frame" image.

@Janichsan: very cool photo where I probably would have darkened the tunnel or cropped it closer so the blooming tree became a better focal point.

@mtbdudex: Super fun photo

@_timo_redux_: Stunning image, I would almost say as usual ;). My only critique would be that for me it feels that there are two subjects and I have a hard time focusing on the statue of liberty that is super interesting here. Wonder if a cloudless sky would be better. I would be interested to know if you have the ability to take a similar shot on a clear day since you live in NY.

1: thirsty_monk

2: mtbdudex

3: someoldguy

someoldguy

macrumors 68030
Aug 2, 2009
usa
Thanks for the 3rd and congrats to the others on the podium . My image was taken with a Leica M6 and (probably) a 35/2 . Taken on Velvia ,during a tour of Alcatraz around 2004 or so .Initially scanned with a Nikon slide scanner back then . I revisited the image a few weeks back and ran it through DXO Photolab to see if I could clean it up some . It's sorta one of my favorite shots , so much so that a few years back ,on a trip to visit family near San Francisco ,I decided to retake the shot with 'modern digital technology' . Couldn't do it , the trees were gone , either fallen into the Bay , or cut down.

thirsty_monk

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2017
Slovakia
Hi guys,

sorry I did forget to check this, so I’ve just find out that I actually won. Thank you ;)

Will come up with a new subject soon-ish.

Last edited:
Reactions: mtbdudex

tizeye

macrumors 68040
Jul 17, 2013
Orlando, FL
Tizeye, I don't think there's a specific app, but Photoshop definitely has a method for creating what are commonly called "out of bounds" images....
Yes, it was an app. That was actually a subject at a camera club meeting, noting various apps for photo processing. Of course I was several years ago, pre-COVID, and of course I don't have notes. Ironically, I had to use Photoshop to clean up edges as the masking wasn't critical enough. No longer on phone and searched the ap store with various keywords. Everything was "get" or "cost" and none had the re-download icon. Also, none looked like the product. On that particular picture, the gator was taken with a regular camera, then imported to the iphone/ipad photos to apply the ap.

Reactions: Clix Pix
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.