Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

James L

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2004
JFreak said:
let me explain... that 90% of the time you are using for recording and mixing in garageband, i prefer to spend using protools, which isn't limited to single input and has pro plugins for processing the sound. so in that perspective, about that 10% of the time, it's just a loop player.

garageband would be however VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY good software instrument if apple implemented proper rewire into it. currently you can route other rewire apps into garageband, but cannot get garageband into other rewire apps. if i could, i'd very much like to sometimes record that bösendorfer piano into protools. but i can't. i have to set up two systems having pro audio interfaces routing garageband into one's digital output while recording it into protools via another system's digital input. that's too much of a hassle and i have to be really desperate to putting in such an effort.

to summarize: for average joe garageband might be a killer. for a pro, it isn't. if one could rewire gb into protools, it would be instantly a pro app.

Well said!

rockaprs

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2004
online songwriters resource

This is an awesome resource for anyone that wants to know ANYTHING about the song writing industry. They are also giving away a gibson acoustic guitar, definately check it out!

http://www.songwriter101.com

R-Man

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2004
I am blown away at the quality of the information posted in these threads! Please help.

Here is my vision:

I am playing lead guitar along with 2 live front vocalists. Everything else (drums, bass, keyboards, steel guitar, etc) is precorded and mixed to be played back during live performance.

Most recorded music tracks will be live instruments recorded in my home studio by musician friends.

I just picked up a used BOSS BR-864 which I thought made a decent starting point. But now I am not so sure.

I am a MAC nut w/ 2 G4 PB's.

My question: Garageband or step up to ProTools or Live?

Thank you!

fingers

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2004
London
R-Man said:
I just picked up a used BOSS BR-864 which I thought made a decent starting point. But now I am not so sure.

I am a MAC nut w/ 2 G4 PB's.

My question: Garageband or step up to ProTools or Live?

Thank you!

What is a BOSS BR-864? Is it a digital multitracker?

I am pretty sure you could do everything in GarageBand - I think it would be a good choice - and it's almost free.

Pro Tools is pretty much the industry standard for recording audio - but with it comes a steeper learning curve than the user friendly GarageBand. The MBox is a pretty inexspensive route to Pro Tools LE (comparitively speaking) It's only a 2 track (ie stereo) device so it might not be ideal if you want to track all three of you at once. Stepping up from the mbox to a 002Rack or 002 interface is quite expensive... Logic is certainly worth considering. Live - I have very little experience of by all accounts pretty revolutionary but I personally didn't get the hang of it from a demo - so i can't comment. If you want to mix and create as part of your live performance then it might be a cool option?

My suggestions ; Try GarageBand but if your serious and don't mind investing time learning a new app then Pro Tools or Logic would be my choice.

BTW. Who produced your backing tracks - what system do they use?

R-Man

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2004
Thanks fingers.

The Boss BR-864 can be found at
http://www.rolandus.com/products/details.asp?catid=12&subcatid=48&prodid=BR-864

I don't understand enough about this whole digital recording process to recognize whether this unit is un-necessary or not. The demo seemed pretty cool but maybe Garageband features makes it obsolete.

The backing tracks and sunsequent playback during live performances are really what I am asking about.

I want my musician friends to lay down some excellent tracks that my live singers and I (lead guitar) can play along with at showtime.

Does any of this make sense?

Thanks
R

fingers

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2004
London
R-Man said:
Thanks fingers.

The Boss BR-864 can be found at
http://www.rolandus.com/products/details.asp?catid=12&subcatid=48&prodid=BR-864

I don't understand enough about this whole digital recording process to recognize whether this unit is un-necessary or not. The demo seemed pretty cool but maybe Garageband features makes it obsolete.

The backing tracks and sunsequent playback during live performances are really what I am asking about.

I want my musician friends to lay down some excellent tracks that my live singers and I (lead guitar) can play along with at showtime.

Does any of this make sense?

Thanks
R

If you have to record more than a stereo recording at any one time then you will need another solution. I don't think the Boss unit will do this - you will need to check the specs. If you need to record a band - then ideally you would need a multi input device either standalone or to feed your mac. GarageBand does not support more than two tracks at once recording tho.

So do you need more than 2 tracks (recording at one time) ?

If 2 tracks will do - then use GarageBand and get m-audio mobile pre (or an mbox)

As far as playing back your backing tracks for a live audience goes - i reckon an ipod would be perfect. The boss unit would almost certainly not hold a full set on it. The ipod would hold thousands of mp3 backing tracks.

I hope this helps.

Harald4

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2004
Hi folks,
let's get back to the original question by a picture:
Have you ever seen the guitar Willie Nelson is playing, because his
ex-wifes do not allow him to own a better one?
Have you heard the songs and the solos he's playing on this piece of crap?
It's always the man behind the tool.
GB is young and will probably run fine on a G5, a G3, like mine was'nt intended for such a program but with all the AU's I've found on the net it shows a picture where emagic with a 1000 $ program is heading to.
Talking about notation?
Why not try a 15$ program called melody assistant from
http://www.myriad-online.com?
Talking about editing files and dropping them into GB?
Why not try free Audacity 1.2.2?
You already started reading and thinking?
Check out wikipedia...

512ke

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2003
Great links. $15 musical notation program. Very cool!

I personally would try out Garageband first, before stepping up to a more powerful (but complicated and expensive) program.

I'm a musician but not a professional one. Garageband is the program that lets me make music when I've got only 10 or fifteen minutes of time.

Record instruments, lay down tracks, save it to iTunes, post it on the 'net.

For me it's just like iPhoto/.Mac/homepage but for music!

:)

http://www.macidol.com/jamroom/bands/405/music.php

Harald4

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2004
Some guys can draw the Mona Lisa...
Thats the point.
Try this:
1. Create a midi file for a single instrument that feels right
(check myriad-online.com for a 15$ notation/sequencer/editor/u
name it program)
2. Use GarageBand Import to convert the file and drag it into the
timeline
3. Spend some time with the software imstrument options

Not satisfied?

4. Get some audio units
It's the man behind the tool...

Mr. Know-It-All

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2006
GARAGEBAND is not merely a loop player!

Clearly JFreak is either a PC user or an idiot (I'm not sure there is really a difference.)

True, Garageband does play software loops, but you can also record real instruments through not only the internal mic (on powerbooks), but also through various hardware interfaces that connect either via USB or Firewire.

Garageband allows you to adjust track volume at various points as well as track panning. You can apply any of the software effects to the live instrument you are recording without losing the true sound of the instrument. If you don't like the effect, just change it to something else.

I have used the internal mic on my powerbook, the m-audio 410 as well as Line6's PODxt Live to interface and record with my computer...all of which have served their purpose.

The current issue I am trying to solve is getting Garageband to recognize my digi002.

Any ideas?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.