Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sleepyrose

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 4, 2015
I had an Apple Watch back in May but for myriad of reasons I had to return it. I was told it was a smart idea with the impending conference coming up blah blah blah.

So I guess my question is there a chance of there being a cheaper version of the apple watch? And if so how much do you think they'll go for?

exxxviii

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2015
So I guess my question is there a chance of there being a cheaper version of the apple watch? And if so how much do you think they'll go for?
What is your definition of "affordable?" Is it $150? $200? And, what from the current version would you be willing to lose to get to that lower price? Plastic body? Cheap nylon band? Slower CPU?

Reactions: Skika and Arran

smacrumon

macrumors 68030
Jan 15, 2016
What is your definition of "affordable?" Is it $150? $200? And, what from the current version would you be willing to lose to get to that lower price? Plastic body? Cheap nylon band? Slower CPU?
I'm willing to lose Apple's insane mark up on products made with insanely cheap labor. $195 sounds fair.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I wouldn't mind a cheaper and sturdy plastic bodied 'G-Shock' style Apple Watch. Get it down to to £200 and it I might give it a try.
Apple projects itself as a premium product, I can't see them providing a cheaper version that's made of plastic. I think that will start a race to the bottom where no good will come.

I think the lowering of the price was Apple's best attempt to improve sales and I'd go out on a limb and say we'll not see any other price reductions or a cheaper model.

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
Apple projects itself as a premium product, I can't see them providing a cheaper version that's made of plastic. I think that will start a race to the bottom where no good will come.

I think the lowering of the price was Apple's best attempt to improve sales and I'd go out on a limb and say we'll not see any other price reductions or a cheaper model.
I only want to try one for mountain biking so it's going to get pretty battered. The aluminium model is still too expensive (and probably not tough enough) for the abuse I'd give it.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I only want to try one for mountain biking so it's going to get pretty battered. The aluminium model is still too expensive (and probably not tough enough) for the abuse I'd give it.
I'm not sure how well an apple watch will work for biking, given that there's no GPS.

hovscorpion12

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2011
USA
The current Apple Watch Sports entry is $299. That is the lowest I see Apple going. As stated before, Apple is a "premium company with premium products". Any future Apple Watch will follow the current price ranges or higher for the stainless steel and Editions.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
I would expect the current version will become the 'cheaper' version.

What do you want from it for mountain biking? I can't see it being the best choice due to the fact that it's not terribly durable or waterproof, and the screen is not always on which will make glancing at it for readings difficult.

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
What do you want from it for mountain biking?
Mainly reading messages and answering the phone while it's safely tucked up in my Camelback. I also use a bike tracking app on my iPhone which is supposed to work with the Apple Watch.

I can't see it being the best choice due to the fact that it's not terribly durable or waterproof,
I wouldn't buy one of the current models, it would be more durable and waterproof if it was built like a G-Shock. ;)

kilcher

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2011
I doubt Apple will keep the current model as a "cheaper" version or come out with a cheaper model any time soon. The current version will probably be discounted quite a bit (as we're already starting to see) prior to the new model coming out. I would expect the new model to come out at the same price point as the current model and then the current model being discounted to clear them out.

At some point, as these become more mainstream I'd absolutely expect there to be a cheaper model or prices to drop a bit. At this point I'd say it's way to early for that. More than likely what we'll see over the next several generations is more and more features at the same price point.

Just my opinion.

Last edited:

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
I wouldn't buy one of the current models, it would be more durable and waterproof if it was built like a G-Shock. ;)
I'm sure you could find a cheap and ugly case to slap on it? Something like this:

feldandvolklineup-800x367.jpg

(Oops, no, sorry. That'll be $5000 more, sir! :p )

smacrumon

macrumors 68030
Jan 15, 2016
Did you just crawl out from under a rock? Apple can price their product lower and blast fitbit and other competitors off the running track. At the end of the day it's just a watch with some cool features, but one that needs to be maintained daily powering up otherwise its useless. 195$ is fair.

MartyCan

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2012
Near Toronto, ON
Did you just crawl out from under a rock? Apple can price their product lower and blast fitbit and other competitors off the running track. At the end of the day it's just a watch with some cool features, but one that needs to be maintained daily powering up otherwise its useless. 195$ is fair.
If you truly expect to see an Apple Watch under $200 new from Apple you need to get someone to pinch you because the only place it will happen is in your dreams I think.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles

"Apple can price their product lower and blast fitbit and other competitors off the running track" - This strategy is what almost put HP and Dell out of business. It doesn't work.

"At the end of the day it's just a watch with some cool features, but one that needs to be maintained daily powering up otherwise its useless" -
The only smart watch that doesn't have to be charged every day is a Pebble and it's very limited in its functionality compared to the Apple watch.

Last edited:

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
At the end of the day it's just a watch with some cool features, but one that needs to be maintained daily powering up otherwise its useless.

"At the end of the day, the iPhone is just a phone with some cool features, but one that needs to be maintained daily powering up otherwise it's useless."
- A dumbphone owner, circa 2007.

Reactions: Armen
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.