Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shawnpuerto

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2014
Over the past two weeks, I've taken quite a liking to the work of Haruki Murakami. I've read: The Strange Library, South of the Border West of the Sun, After Dark, and now I'm working on Kafka on the Shore. If anyone else has read anything by him, I'd love to have someone to chat with. I think he's a terrific writer!

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
just finished
A constellation of vital phenomena

a peek into the intertwined lives of a few interesting characters during the recent chechen-russian conflict.
soulful, dark, occasionally funny and beautifully written.

very, very good book.

Scepticalscribe, have you read this one? it seems right up your alley

No, I haven't - in fact, until you mentioned it, I hadn't even heard of it. In any case, thanks a lot, I'll keep an eye out for it.

As it happens, I spent over two years in the Caucasus region, and know it pretty well.

Last edited:

JamesMike

macrumors 603
Nov 3, 2014
Oregon
Started a travel book. 'Where the Indus is Young: A Winter in Baltistan' by Dervla Murphy. She is a interesting lady to say the least.

JamesMike

macrumors 603
Nov 3, 2014
Oregon
Agreed. She is indeed a most interesting lady, who has led a most adventurous life and has written some extraordinarily interesting (and well written) travel books.

If she tried to take her daughter on the trips in today time, she would probably be charged with abuse..lol! I would not mind spending a evening listening to her stories.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
If she tried to take her daughter on the trips in today time, she would probably be charged with abuse..lol! I would not mind spending a evening listening to her stories.

That aspect - possible problems about taking her daughter with her these days - hadn't occurred to me. I suspect that it came from an adventurous spirit, a lack of money or other child minding options, and a belief that the best place for her daughter to be was in her company. And, in those circumstances, who is to say that she was wrong?

Now, for what it is worth, while I myself haven't met her personally, I have met - and I do know - people with whom she is very friendly and they report that she is terrific company, and a genuine 'free spirit'.

JamesMike

macrumors 603
Nov 3, 2014
Oregon
That aspect - possible problems about taking her daughter with her these days - hadn't occurred to me. I suspect that it came from an adventurous spirit, a lack of money or other child minding options, and a belief that the best place for her daughter to be was in her company. And, in those circumstances, who is to say that she was wrong?

Now, for what it is worth, while I myself haven't met her personally, I have met - and I do know - people with whom she is very friendly and they report that she is terrific company, and a genuine 'free spirit'.

Her daughter seemed to enjoy the adventures, so I for one think it was great for her. 'Free Spirit' is a understatement!

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I just downloaded this book on my iPhone. I've not yet started it but it looks interesting

Life as we knew it.
LifeasWeKnewit.png

A story about an asteroid smashing into the moon that will cause the world to end. There's a companion novel that I'm looking forward to it as well. This story is set in rural America and the next novel: The dead and the gone, which details the same climate devastation but this time in New York.

I was tempted to read the second book first but I'll do it in the right order :)

LadyX

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2012

My name is August. I won't describe what I look like. Whatever you're thinking, it's probably worse.

August Pullman wants to be an ordinary ten-year-old. He does ordinary things. He eats ice cream. He plays on his Xbox. He feels ordinary - inside.

But Auggie is far from ordinary. Ordinary kids don't make other ordinary kids run away screaming in playgrounds. Ordinary kids don't get stared at wherever they go.

Born with a terrible facial abnormality, Auggie has been home-schooled by his parents his whole life, in an attempt to protect him from the cruelty of the outside world. Now, for the first time, he's being sent to a real school - and he's dreading it. All he wants is to be accepted - but can he convince his new classmates that he's just like them, underneath it all?

Narrated by Auggie and the people around him whose lives he touches forever, Wonder is a funny, frank, astonishingly moving debut to read in one sitting, pass on to others, and remember long after the final page.

I just finished this book and I can't stop thinking about it. Seriously, everyone should read it. It's very brilliant and very emotional.

I'm now starting "The Julian Chapter" which is an exclusive chapter from the novel.

LadyX

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2012
9780141036137.jpg

'All animals are equal. But some animals are more equal than others.'

Mr Jones of Manor Farm is so lazy and drunken that one day he forgets to feed his livestock. The ensuing rebellion under the leadership of the pigs Napoleon and Snowball leads to the animals taking over the farm. Vowing to eliminate the terrible inequities of the farmyard, the renamed Animal Farm is organised to benefit all who walk on four legs. But as time passes, the ideals of the rebellion are corrupted, then forgotten. And something new and unexpected emerges ...

pachyderm

macrumors G3
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN

a classic all time favorite of mine...

I just finished this book and I can't stop thinking about it. Seriously, everyone should read it. It's very brilliant and very emotional.

I'm now starting "The Julian Chapter" which is an exclusive chapter from the novel.

and a soon to be classic all time fave...

----------

I immensely enjoyed Ready Player One. It was a very entertaining read. I loved all the pop culture references even though I did not recognize some of them since they were mostly from the 80's and I was born in the 90s.

what i've heard of this novel it brings to mind, for me anyway, the film war games.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.

An outstanding book, - I cannot praise it highly enough - - one of those rare works of literature that is both a flawless masterpiece - a superlative example of deceptively plain but utterly outstanding English prose writing and a devastating piece of analytical political writing and searing philosophical insight.

One of my all time favourites, and one that I used to instruct my students to read again and again.

LadyX

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2012
I finished Animal Farm yesterday night. Like a lot of you here, I liked it very much. It's fascinating how Orwell managed to deliver a powerful message through a story that is fairly easy to read and filled with allegories that are quite simple to understand. I especially liked how he portrayed the theme of "knowledge is power" and how education can be used as a weapon. It's a good fable that I'm sure also children can enjoy but won't, I think, actually get what it's really about. On the surface it's a book about animals taking over a farm, I think this is an entertaining plot for young readers anyway :)

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I finished Animal Farm yesterday night. Like a lot of you here, I liked it very much. It's fascinating how Orwell managed to deliver a powerful message through a story that is fairly easy to read and filled with allegories that are quite simple to understand. I especially liked how he portrayed the theme of "knowledge is power" and how education can be used as a weapon. It's a good fable that I'm sure also children can enjoy but won't, I think, actually get what it's really about. On the surface it's a book about animals taking over a farm, I think this is an entertaining plot for young readers anyway :)

To my mind, this work is one of those almost transcendental classics; it is a work of philosophical, political - and prose - perfection. Not a word is out of place, and every word is exquisitely considered and perfectly placed.

Indeed, it is written in such a deceptively plain prose that people think it is 'easy'. This is because the clarity of language supports the searing insight of the moral and political message that the story wishes to convey. Likewise, - on the surface - it reads almost like a fable, one of those fairy tales, or stories, where a core moral lesson came cloaked in a deceptively easy narrative.

However, on a closer reading, you realise that you are reading the work of an absolute master of language, a person who can place a word, or adjective, or nuance so precisely that you wonder how this concept was ever even expressed before Orwell wrote about it.

In fact, it is so good that some of what he wrote in that book came to find a home in everyday speech - because nobody before or since was able to express it better.

It is a masterpiece of twentieth century literature, sheer narrative chutpaz, and political and philosophical insight. It is also about ideals and revolutions betrayed, the abuse of power, the corrosive corruption of unaccountable absolute power and a devastating analysis of both the power and abuse of ideology in relationships of power. And the dynamics of show trials, and the subversion of belief systems are all savagely indicted. A work of unadulterated sheer literary brilliance.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Yesterday's post - (I was away at meetings all day, and so only saw it when I arrived home late last night) - contained a book called 'The Rise of Islamic State - Isis And The New Sunni Revolution' by Patrick Cockburn, whom I know to be a very fine journalist and an excellent writer and analyst.

Despite the title (on a topic that very badly needs to be thoroughly examined and deeply thought about) this is a nice, unthreatening looking book, not too chunky, and with double spacing (restful for my ageing eyes) on the impressively thick and reassuringly solid paper pages……..

Physically, I like a good, well put together book, one where no expense was spared in producing something that has a nice heft in the hand….

----------

I will, by all means. I have read some extract just the other day and decided to read it.

Excellent. I look forward to a good discussion on the matter.

pachyderm

macrumors G3
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
i just started...

still working on this. i really do like it. only 207 pages in so...

if i didn't know it was written by a japanese author, i would guess it was written by a japanese author.

the narrative seems to wander a bit... like my post does.

spoiler below. i thought we had spoiler tags on here, no?

i figured the cat disappearing would lead us to finding out his wife was cheating...not that they have anything to do with each other.

Last edited by a moderator:

td1439

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2012
Boston-ish
Currently reading Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut. I've actually never read anything by him before. Although the plot can be hard to follow with his rambling, elliptical explorations of characters, his style is undeniably readable.

TPadden

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2010
Book 16 in the series of 18 "Novels of Feudal Japan", mysteries by Laura Rowland following one character - Sano Ichirō. I've greatly enjoyed the previous 15.

517Dx%2B%2BZEdL.jpg

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Another book arrived in the post on a matter of topical interest.

This one is called 'Temptations of Power: Islamists & Illiberal Democracy In A New Middle East', and it is written by Shadi Hamid.

I'll settle into them both over the next few days.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.