Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mito

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2012
20090720225604.jpg

Autobiography of a Yogi by Paramahansa Yogananda

spoon man

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2007
Just watched The Hunger games and really enjoyed it so I picked up all 3 books for £6.00 at HMV :)

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
checked it out on wiki. that does look interesting...

some years ago I read every Murakami book I could lay hands on, but now lost that steam somehow. I can only speak for the translated versions as I can't read/speak japanese, but the writing style isn't top notch imho...but it's very entertaining and original. I still do like a lot the older ones like Hard Boiled, Norwegian Wood or A Wild Sheep Chase though - would like to read the originals onetime.

millerj123

macrumors 68030
Mar 6, 2008
Finally, I've finished books three and four of Robert Jordan's "Wheel of Time" series, "The Dragon Reborn" and "The Shadow Rising". These seem somewhat depressing, but I'll probably continue the series as I have time.

So, I had some time and finished book five, "The Fires of Heaven". Now I can get back to the stack sitting on my shelf...

TedM

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2012
California
I just started Eragon- a boy and his dragon. I am surprised how young the author is/was when he wrote it. Am liking it so much I just ordered two more from Amazon.

Prior to this I just finished The Girl With the Dragon Tatoo trilogy. Hard to believe it has been in the top ten books for the last year, but it is good enough for me to recommend.

I've never read eragon. The young author was kinda my deterrent. Idk though, I feel like I'm literature starved. Is it really good? Is the series amazing? Let me know maybe the internet can convince me to give it a chance.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I've never read eragon. The young author was kinda my deterrent. Idk though, I feel like I'm literature starved. Is it really good? Is the series amazing? Let me know maybe the internet can convince me to give it a chance.

No it's not amazing, just ok. :) Do you like SciFi? If you do and you've not read the Honor Harrington Series, top notch space based combat opera. I believe you can read the first book on line here although I'm not sure it 100% of the story is there. If you like it, there are more than 10 in that series. Each story has at least one Holy S*** moment. :)

067157793X.jpg

millerj123

macrumors 68030
Mar 6, 2008
The author should be a deterrent. If you've read much Fantasy over the past 20 years or so, you'll say "hey, he stole x here, and y there..." They aren't terrible, but by the second book I figured if I have to force myself to read it, I was wasting my time.
It's not literature, it's entertainment fantasy. If you like dragons, I'd suggest Ann McCaffrey's Pern series. If you like adventure, I'd recommend Raymond Fiests' Magician series

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
No it's not amazing, just ok. :) Do you like SciFi? If you do and you've not read the Honor Harrington Series, top notch space based combat opera. I believe you can read the first book on line here although I'm not sure it 100% of the story is there. If you like it, there are more than 10 in that series. Each story has at least one Holy S*** moment. :)

GET OUT! :)

I just finished a book last night and decided to start the Honor Harrington series this weekend. I've had the first 3 books downloaded to my Kindle for quite some time already. I heard about them from Steve Gibson of GRC.com and Security Now on TWiT.tv. From my understanding, the first 3 books were free to download in their entirety.

As a rule I normally do not read anything but non-fiction, but once in a great while I will read a fictional book. I read a few Dan Brown books a number of years ago and really liked them.

067157793X.jpg

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
GET OUT! :)

YouTube: video

I just finished a book last night and decided to start the Honor Harrington series this weekend. I've had the first 3 books downloaded to my Kindle for quite some time already. I heard about them from Steve Gibson of GRC.com and Security Now on TWiT.tv. From my understanding, the first 3 books were free to download in their entirety.

As a rule I normally do not read anything but non-fiction, but once in a great while I will read a fictional book. I read a few Dan Brown books a number of years ago and really liked them.

It looks like there are 4 free ones there! :)

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
Candide by Voltaire

Attachments

• candide_oder_der_optimismus-9783423137508.jpg
    candide_oder_der_optimismus-9783423137508.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 64

Thegolem

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2012
England
AEVQB.jpg

Amazing how people think of things differently. There's a guy in this book who the author calls 'one of the tragic cases of the early PC revolution. It's a guy who wrote an early word processing app. He'd made a fortune and blew it on cars and holidays then ended up iving off hand outs! That's not a 'tragedy' in my book. He's only got himself to blame.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'm currently reading Final Dawn - Episode 3. The books (really short stories) are great. I cannot put the book down. Its an apocalyptic themed story about the end of the world.

Attachments

• FinalDawn.png
    FinalDawn.png
    339.3 KB · Views: 58

JBazz

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2006
Sutton by JR Moehringer, fiction based on true life of depression era bank robber Willie Sutton.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Just finished the 8th in the Honor Harrington series, Echoes of Honor. Sometimes I got a feeling of a little too much info, but the combat was incredible. If you are going to start reading these, start at the beginning- On Basilisk Station.

225px-Echoes_of_honor.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.