Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pachyderm

macrumors G3
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
In answer to your question yes, the author really does know his Russians.
He has written three books about Russian Tsars, Peter the Great, Nicholas & Alexandra, this book is the best of the three in my opinion.

I am hoping that my Russian improves so that in the future I will be able to read books in Russian.

The author knows how to blend facts and an interesting storyline, so you don’t get the idea that you are back in school.:p

imma add it to my list as well...

i have read this one:
50401985.jpg

and this one:
50512043.jpg

i do want to read about Peter and Catherine though...

Last edited:

Happybunny

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2010

i have read this one:

and this one:

I have put the second book on my to read list, the Battleship Potemkin, it is an iconic event. Many years ago I went to an art house film to see Sergei Eisenstein's masterpiece silent film of Battleship Potemkin.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
In answer to your question yes, the author really does know his Russians.
He has written three books about Russian Tsars, Peter the Great, Nicholas & Alexandra, this book is the best of the three in my opinion.

I am hoping that my Russian improves so that in the future I will be able to read books in Russian.

The author knows how to blend facts and an interesting storyline, so you don’t get the idea that you are back in school.:p

I'm impressed that you would consider attempting to tackle such subjects in Russian. In any case, while I would be interested in reading about Catherine the Great, and indeed, about Peter the Great, I'll confess that Tsar Nicholas II leaves me cold.

Actually, I have never understood the slightly sentimental approach taken to depicting his life and times in books and on the screen; granted, he was a loving husband and an adoring father. However, he was one of those rather rare human beings, who, when offered a choice between the Right/Appropriate Course of Political Action or The Dreadfully Wrong Path, invariably, and inevitably, chose the latter, every single time, without fail. This is rather unusual. Most rulers manage to get it right at least occasionally, but not Nicholas. Extraordinarily, he unerringly managed to choose the wrong option every single time. As a Tsar, he was a disaster.

i have read this one:

and this one:

Yes, well, as I have written above, I will give Nicholas and Alexandra a miss. Frankly, they depress me, as a topic. (And yes, I actually have read Edvard Radzinsky's book). However, the Battleship Potemkin does interest me.

I have put the second book on my to read list, the Battleship Potemkin, it is an iconic event. Many years ago I went to an art house film to see Sergei Eisenstein's masterpiece silent film of Battleship Potemkin.

Ah, yes: Several years ago, I, too, saw this at a university art house screening. I was teaching Russian and Soviet history at the time, and some of my students, who ran the art house cinema club, managed to obtain a copy of this movie and one wonderful evening we watched it together. A brilliant and gripping piece of cinematography and cinema history. An absolute masterpiece, I agree.

Happybunny

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2010
I'm impressed that you would consider attempting to tackle such subjects in Russian. In any case, while I would be interested in reading about Catherine the Great, and indeed, about Peter the Great, I'll confess that Tsar Nicholas II leaves me cold.

Actually, I have never understood the slightly sentimental approach taken to depicting his life and times in books and on the screen; granted, he was a loving husband and an adoring father. However, he was one of those rather rare human beings, who, when offered a choice between the Right/Appropriate Course of Political Action or The Dreadfully Wrong Path, invariably, and inevitably, chose the latter, every single time, without fail. This is rather unusual. Most rulers manage to get it right at least occasionally, but not Nicholas. Extraordinarily, he unerringly managed to choose the wrong option every single time. As a Tsar, he was a disaster.

Yes, well, as I have written above, I will give Nicholas and Alexandra a miss. Frankly, they depress me, as a topic. (And yes, I actually have read Edvard Radzinsky's book). However, the Battleship Potemkin does interest me.

Ah, yes: Several years ago, I, too, saw this at a university art house screening. I was teaching Russian and Soviet history at the time, and some of my students, who ran the art house cinema club, managed to obtain a copy of this movie and one wonderful evening we watched it together. A brilliant and gripping piece of cinematography and cinema history. An absolute masterpiece, I agree.

I think that reading a whole book in Russian is some years off, but it is the ultimate goal. I can read the newspaper, but it takes a long time, but practice makes perfect. It also helps if there are some photos.

I like Peter the Great, we in the Netherlands are proud that he spent time here in and around Amsterdam, when he was a young man.

I too find Nicholas a likeable man who just always made the wrong choices. I think that the public are more interested in his death and that of his family than his life.

The film Battleship Potemkin is like that other classic from the same era, Abel Gance’s Napoléon. I saw Napoléon the complete 3hrs, with a full concert orchestra, back in 1983.

Last edited:

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Just about to finish the book PR! by Stuart Ewen, a history and exploration of propaganda.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
i have that film on DVD!

I'm actually envious; there are so many excellent and beautifully framed shots in the movie, and, for someone who is fascinated by Russian history, it is an exceptionally told story.

Indeed, I am also struck by the fact that when this movie was made, the events it depicted were very recent, and it was able to capture a sense of 'contemporary history' extremely well.

----------

I think that reading a whole book in Russian is some years off, but it is the ultimate goal. I can read the newspaper, but it takes a long time, but practice makes perfect. It also helps if there are some photos.

I like Peter the Great, we in the Netherlands are proud that he spent time here in and around Amsterdam, when he was a young man.

I too find Nicholas a likeable man who just always made the wrong choices. I think that the public are more interested in his death and that of his family than his life.

The film Battleship Potemkin is like that other classic from the same era, Abel Gance’s Napoléon. I saw Napoléon the complete 3hrs, with a full concert orchestra, back in 1983.

Well, I'm most impressed at your linguistic ambition; reading Russian in newspapers is as far as I have managed, too. Fat, heavy, demanding history books are well beyond me, for now.

I agree re the public fascination with the circumstances of the death of Nicholas and his family; however, - despite this atrocity - I still think he is judged far too gently for his catastrophic errors of judgement and sheer, wilful culpability.

While I really loved 'Battleship Potemkin', I never managed to see Abel Gance's masterpiece 'Napoléon', although I have read about it, and how it - the complete classic version which had been butchered - was recovered and restored in the 1980s.

Happybunny

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2010
i have that film on DVD!

I have this morning ordered a Blu Ray edition via Amazon.:)

I'm actually envious; there are so many excellent and beautifully framed shots in the movie, and, for someone who is fascinated by Russian history, it is an exceptionally told story.

Indeed, I am also struck by the fact that when this movie was made, the events it depicted were very recent, and it was able to capture a sense of 'contemporary history' extremely well.

----------

Well, I'm most impressed at your linguistic ambition; reading Russian in newspapers is as far as I have managed, too. Fat, heavy, demanding history books are well beyond me, for now.

I agree re the public fascination with the circumstances of the death of Nicholas and his family; however, - despite this atrocity - I still think he is judged far too gently for his catastrophic errors of judgement and sheer, wilful culpability.

While I really loved 'Battleship Potemkin', I never managed to see Abel Gance's masterpiece 'Napoléon', although I have read about it, and how it - the complete classic version which had been butchered - was recovered and restored in the 1980s.

As to the film Napoleon I saw it in 1984 not 1983, silly me I was still in the US in 1983. I can say with some certainty that this is the ultimate in the epic silent film. I was lucky because at the time our city had a theatre that had an orchestra pit. Here is my original program.

IMG_20140331_0001_zpse4f98b57.jpg

As for Russian newspapers this is the one I find the easiest to tackle.

http://www.kommersant.ru

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
I have this morning ordered a Blu Ray edition via Amazon.:)

As to the film Napoleon I saw it in 1984 not 1983, silly me I was still in the US in 1983. I can say with some certainty that this is the ultimate in the epic silent film. I was lucky because at the time our city had a theatre that had an orchestra pit. Here is my original program.

As for Russian newspapers this is the one I find the easiest to tackle.

http://www.kommersant.ru

Can you give us a link to the blu ray? I can't find it.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
I'm currently working on "Streets And Roads"...soon to be moving on to "More Streets And Roads".

And anyone who gets that reference (without cheating and looking it up) gets a prize!

OK...Full Disclosure: gets a big smile from me...:D

caribiner23

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2005
Chicago
Just finished "Wild Tales" by Graham Nash and re-reading "Last Catholic in America" by John R Powers.

About to launch into "The Tribune Saga" by Michael Oneal, about how an investment whiz ran The Chicago Tribune Company into the ground.

CrickettGrrrl

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2012
B'more or Less
Just finished "Wild Tales" by Graham Nash and re-reading "Last Catholic in America" by John R Powers.

About to launch into "The Tribune Saga" by Michael Oneal, about how an investment whiz ran The Chicago Tribune Company into the ground.

Hummph! Sam Zell.

Well I guess the Baltimore Sun wasn't that steady on its pins anyway, but Zell certainly knocked it to the ground and then mugged it. My Dad used to work at the WaPo including the Watergate years. I wonder if he'd be interested in this book. I'll make a note of it. Thanks!

Last edited:

caribiner23

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2005
Chicago
Hummph! Sam Zell.

Well I guess the Baltimore Sun wasn't that steady on it's pins anyway, but Zell certainly knocked it to the ground and then mugged it. My Dad used to work at the WaPo including the Watergate years. I wonder if he'd be interested in this book. I'll make a note of it. Thanks!

Yeah, Zell is something of a legend here in Chicago. He screwed up every Tribune property (including WGN Radio and TV) and was known for turning Tribune Tower into a frat house. A friend of mine has been a puzzle editor there for years and has lots of stories to tell.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I'm currently working on "Streets And Roads"...soon to be moving on to "More Streets And Roads".

And anyone who gets that reference (without cheating and looking it up) gets a prize!

OK...Full Disclosure: gets a big smile from me...:D

I'll bite. Or rather, I did bite and am none the wiser, as a result of having been bitten by my own curiosity.

Re my own reading material, I am paying a return visit to a book called 'Fixing Failed States', written by a man named Ashraf Ghani, who is a former academic, who has worked in the World Bank, who also served his country as Finance Minister, and who also chaired his country's Transition Council.

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
Not sure this is the right place, but....I'm coming up to my 50th birthday. If there was one book you would recommend I read this year what would it be? (I.E, whats the best book ever!)

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011
Finishing up Edward Said's, Orientalism.

Next will look for select readings from Antonio Gramsci's prison notebooks.

SandPebble

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2012
Duck and Cover

150px-AlasBabylon.jpg

Published in 1959, this is probably my 6th reading of this book.

Last edited:

SandPebble

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2012
That is a great book. I've read it several times as well, but it has been a long time since I've read it.

It is a good read. Anyone attending grade school or high school in the early 60’s, whether secular or religious, probably went through the “duck and cover” drills.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Finishing up Edward Said's, Orientalism.

Next will look for select readings from Antonio Gramsci's prison notebooks.

Excellent books, both. I suggest that you take a look at Edward Said's sort of sequel to 'Orientalism', published in the early 1990s, called 'Culture and Imperialism', which I thought extremely good.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.