Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Don't panic

macrumors 603
Jan 30, 2004
having a drink at Milliways
515s1mROSoL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

wojnest

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2014
Now I'm reading The End of Eternity(Asimov), the indescribable experience.

Last edited:

CrickettGrrrl

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2012
B'more or Less
love this series!

I'm so glad you liked it too. Now we have to wait for more books and the TV series.....

---------------------
Have been up to my eyebrows in onerous tasks so instead of curling into a fetal position I've been reading guilty pleasures: the original Nancy Drew mysteries (weirdly fascinating like a warped, neatly starched Time Machine) and the Wimpy Kid series which makes me laugh out loud. I got hooked after the iTunes 12 Days of Christmas freebie.

pachyderm

macrumors G3
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
I'm so glad you liked it too. Now we have to wait for more books and the TV series.....

---------------------
Have been up to my eyebrows in onerous tasks so instead of curling into a fetal position I've been reading guilty pleasures: the original Nancy Drew mysteries (weirdly fascinating like a warped, neatly starched Time Machine) and the Wimpy Kid series which makes me laugh out loud. I got hooked after the iTunes 12 Days of Christmas freebie.

i'm about to start book number 3…

Don't panic

macrumors 603
Jan 30, 2004
having a drink at Milliways
i'm about to start book number 3…

i liked the de luce series (although i didn't read all the books yet), i loved flavia, although i find her completely implausible for her supposed age

as a sort of stream-of-consciousness connection, the chemistry lab somehow reminded me of oliver sacks' "chemical memoir", Uncle tungsten, which i read some time ago.
very enjoyable book

20091115220007430.jpg

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....

Devil's Advocate film series books > The Thing by Jez Conolly. Nowhere near as good as Anne Billison's BFI book on Carpenter's The Thing from 16 years ago and much shorter too.

Just zipped through recently published Captain America The First Avenger screenplay. Why some of the scenes and captions were omitted from the final product I could not say, but it certainly makes me appreciate this film more. Some choices were smart, others not. I sure hope Marvel publishes the screenplay for the subsequent Cap films. I want to compare how Markus and McFeely's writing styles and character understanding/growth changed.

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012

Nice, read a book by Sacks couple of years ago - very entertaining! Something like "The man who mistakenly took a hat for his wife" :D
Will check yours out too....

....when finished with my two 600+ books Ulysses and The Pandora Box - Story of WW I. Could take some time..

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Nice, read a book by Sacks couple of years ago - very entertaining! Something like "The man who mistakenly took a hat for his wife" :D
Will check yours out too....

....when finished with my two 600+ books Ulysses and The Pandora Box - Story of WW I. Could take some time..

Who is the author of The Pandora Box?

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Jörn Leonhard - no idea if it got translated already, published by C.H.Beck this year in Febuary.

Sounds fascinating (I looked it up on Amazon as it is exactly the sort of book - especially this year with the centenary of the outbreak of the war - that I would find fascinating); alas, it does not seem to have been translated into English (at least, not yet; we can hope).

In any case, please let us know how you find it and what you think of it.

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
Sounds fascinating (I looked it up on Amazon as it is exactly the sort of book - especially this year with the centenary of the outbreak of the war - that I would find fascinating); alas, it does not seem to have been translated into English (at least, not yet; we can hope).

I will. Although it could take a while :eek:
I'm not exactly fast when it comes to complicated books and this isn't one to stomach after long hours of work / before going to bed either.

You shoud definitely keep an eye on it. :)

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Jörn Leonhard - no idea if it got translated already, published by C.H.Beck this year in Febuary.

Thanks for the information.

Agreed. I've read a few books on WWI and would love to read this if it ever gets translated to English.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.