Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Just received 'The Devil's Lieutenant' by Maria Fagyas.

As a study of Astro-Hungary society before WW1, it is easily on a par with the works of Josep Roth. Look forward to re-reading the book, as it is quite a while since I last read it.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Occasionally, you will come across a book that excels both as a work of literature and philosophy, and crosses the divide between art and political insight. George Orwell could write at such a level, as could the late, great, Polish writer, Ryszard Kapuscinski.

'The Emperor' by Ryszard Kapuscinski is about the former Emperor of Ethiopia, Haile Selassie; above all, it is a superb and forensic analysis of the politics of absolute power in a royal court; it also describes how that court collapsed and the Emperor was overthrown in the 1970s.

This is an utter masterpiece, where politics and power are described in superb prose - a prose that is almost poetic in its grace and elegance, and a prose which is matched with peerless political insight and devastating commentary.

Happybunny

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2010
I bought this book via the French Amazon, to give the war a human face, it is a diary of a soldier who made it through the whole war.

ScreenShot2014-05-01at115827_zps9219132b.jpg

I saw that this book was used as source material for a programme on TV about the 14-18 war, I thought why not read it from the mouth of the horse.

LadyX

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2012
Currently reading Fer-de-Lance, the first book in the Nero Wolfe series by Rex Stout.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
I bought this book via the French Amazon, to give the war a human face, it is a diary of a soldier who made it through the whole war.

I saw that this book was used as source material for a programme on TV about the 14-18 war, I thought why not read it from the mouth of the horse.

Sounds interesting, any idea if it has ever been translated into english?

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Another classic by Ryszard Kapuscinski. This one is called 'The Shah of Shahs'. Beautifully written, thoughtful, insightful, penned with the quill of a poet, the eye of a novelist and the analytical skills of a forensic political pathologist. Superb, in other words.

Happybunny

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2010
Sounds interesting, any idea if it has ever been translated into english?

I regret to say no and there are no plans to either, the book was written in 1997.

Translations of books only really happens if there is going to be a large demand for copies.

I'm lucky because I can read Dutch, German, French, English and working my way around to Russian.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
I regret to say no and there are no plans to either, the book was written in 1997.

Translations of books only really happens if there is going to be a large demand for copies.

I'm lucky because I can read Dutch, German, French, English and working my way around to Russian.

I did a bit of googling after I asked that, and while I could be wrong it looks like there actually was a translation published about a month ago, isn't this the same book in English?

Happybunny

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2010
I did a bit of googling after I asked that, and while I could be wrong it looks like there actually was a translation published about a month ago, isn't this the same book in English?

Yes I stand corrected you are absolutely right, sorry.:eek:

I found the book to be a good read, it gave a good insight to the war.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
I've read the entire Harry Potter series, not that I'm looking for the same experience again, but if you have read HP, I'd like to know how you compare the two stories. The important aspects are the writing, intrigue, drama, maybe humor, and the quality of the narrative. Thanks! :)

Here is a review I dug up at Amazon:

Two thirds of the way through, The Magicians is far darker and more adult than Harry Potter. Obviously not written for children. More real world issues are explored, especially sex, and the characters often find magic to be more of a burden than something mystical.

Also, there are a ton of references to the Chronicles of Narnia, which I did not expect. In fact, Harry Potter is referenced as a fictional work in the Magicians universe multiple times, among other things, but Narnia is never mentioned, but an analogous set of books is mentioned. Good so far. Much different than HP, which is great, because I have no interest in reading them again.

CrickettGrrrl

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2012
B'more or Less
Currently reading Fer-de-Lance, the first book in the Nero Wolfe series by Rex Stout.

I love the Nero Wolfe series. --Can't get my hands on all my copies but I do happen to have The Black Mountain on hand which is one of my favorites. Thank you for the impetus to reread it!

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Two thirds of the way through, The Magicians is far darker and more adult than Harry Potter. Obviously not written for children. More real world issues are explored, especially sex, and the characters often find magic to be more of a burden than something mystical.

Also, there are a ton of references to the Chronicles of Narnia, which I did not expect. In fact, Harry Potter is referenced as a fictional work in the Magicians universe multiple times, among other things, but Narnia is never mentioned, but an analogous set of books is mentioned. Good so far. Much different than HP, which is great, because I have no interest in reading them again.

Thanks! I'll have to remember that title.

LadyX

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2012
What Book Are You Reading?

I love the Nero Wolfe series. --Can't get my hands on all my copies but I do happen to have The Black Mountain on hand which is one of my favorites. Thank you for the impetus to reread it!

My friend recommended the series to me and I've decided to give it a go. I'm so glad I did. A really great and enjoyable read. I love a good mystery. I very much enjoy reading Agatha Christie's mysteries and so this is a very nice change.

CrickettGrrrl

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2012
B'more or Less
My friend recommended the series to me and I've decided to give it a go. I'm so glad I did. A really great and enjoyable read. I love a good mystery. I very much enjoy reading Agatha Christie's mysteries and so this is a very nice change.

Rex Stout was a prolific writer, like Agatha Christie, so there are a lot of Nero Wolfe books to enjoy. :)

I think it was about 10 years ago, but Timothy Hutton produced a Nero Wolfe series on A&E which was quite enjoyable. Like hors d'oeuvres compared to the actual stories...

LadyX

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2012

I finished this a week ago and enjoyed it so much that I got the second book in the series, The League of Frightened Men right away but still have read it yet. In Fer-de-Lance, the culprit wasn't difficult to figure out after getting to know the characters but the book still held my interest. The ending was unexpected but wasn't shocking. Nero Wolfe and Archie Goodwin; I loved these two characters and the repartee that goes on between them is entertaining. Those looking for a good mystery and haven't yet read this one should do so.

I then read The Murder at the Vicarage by Agatha Christie. This is the first "Miss Marple" mystery and it was brilliant. The ending as with every Christie book was completely unexpected and an absolute shocker. Genius of an author.

I'm currently reading The Body in the Library, the second book in the "Miss Marple" mysteries. Thoroughly absorbed in the story.

LadyX

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2012

Just finished reading The Body in the Library. As with all Christie mysteries, it was a thoroughly entertaining read with lots of twists and turns. I'm always eager to read the final chapters of every Christie mystery because I like to see how she skillfully manages to connect everything together. And like all her mysteries, the ending caught me completely by surprise. Clever usage of red herrings. Simply brilliant.

LadyX

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2012

The Hunger Games. My son who is eleven wants to read it and I wanted to see if it's age-appropriate...

Prior to reading it, I expected it to be very gory. But for a story that's basically about a bunch of teens trying to kill each other, there wasn't a lot of violence and not in an explicit way for that matter. I think it's appropriate for an 11-year old but not younger. However in the end, it's your decision to make.

AlabamaSlammer

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2012
Alabama
Ok, after looking around and seeing what everyone else is reading at the moment I FEEL LIKE A DOUCHE. But in my defense I'm a big Jim Norton fan and love the Opie & Anthony show on SiriusXM. So please try not to judge me please.....

Attachments

• jpeg.jpg
    jpeg.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 193
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.