Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WillMak

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 29, 2005
Alright guys, I think this should be the last of my Mac newbie questions. Sometimes I'll leave my computer on and return but find everything performing slow and my airport express disconnected (it also can't relocate the wireless signal). This has happened three times to me so far. The only thing I left on the computer to run was bit torrent both times. I also plug in a mouse that needs to be removed before booting up otherwise it causes my computer to not be able to boot up (I just get the DONG and a continous black screen.) I don't know if the mouse could be a cause or be harmful to my system either. What do you guys think is causing this? *I've only had my ibook since wednsday.

NicP

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2005
why dont you unplug the mouse for a few days and see if that solves your problem

WillMak

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 29, 2005
mad jew said:
That's not right.

Tell us more about this mouse. What type is it?

It's a "Targus optical scroller mini mouse" that I got originally for my old windows xp machine. I plugged it into my Mac and it ended up workign properly. It's when I restart my computer or shut off and turn back on that the ibook refuses to go anywhere past a black screen and a dong. It that case, I usually just take out the mouse and reboot with command+control+power button. Perhaps this mouse has caused some permanent damage that I was not aware about?

WillMak

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 29, 2005
NicP said:
why dont you unplug the mouse for a few days and see if that solves your problem

Lol yes there is that solution, I currently have my ibook setup on a icurve so far and I have to fight the urge to plug it in because I don't like using the mouse pad when my ibook is docked. :eek:

WillMak

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 29, 2005
hmm now that I think about it, I think the targus mouse is only PC compatible, but if it wasn't mac compatible it shoudln't have worked at all then right?

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Not necessarily. If they're not compatible, it may still work, but you may get other negative effects. Like a severe performance slow down. ;)

My guess is that the mouse is messing with your Mac. Give another mouse a go, preferably a Mac-compatable one. Hopefully you won't have any more performance issues. :)

WillMak

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 29, 2005
mad jew said:
Not necessarily. If they're not compatible, it may still work, but you may get other negative effects. Like a sever performance slow down. ;)

Oh hehehe, well if that's the case hopefully it's not permanent damage. :eek:

mad jew said:
My guess is that the mouse is messing with your Mac. Give another mouse a go, preferably a Mac-compatable one. Hopefully you won't have any more performance issues. :)

Hmm, I guess this is a good excuse for me to buy the new apple mouse! :D

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
This business of getting logged off your Airport Express is troubling too.....

Things to look at:

1) Try changing the channel using the airport utility, in case you are having interference issues.

2) If you are using the mode that says to distribute IP addresses using DHCP (so that different computers have different IP addresses), make sure that the lease duration is long -- try several days.

3) When you lose the connection, if you do again, Can you reconnect wirelessly if you bring the 'book closer to the Airport Express, like right in front of it? Or does it still refuse? How do you solve it?

WillMak

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 29, 2005
mkrishnan said:
This business of getting logged off your Airport Express is troubling too.....

Things to look at:

1) Try changing the channel using the airport utility, in case you are having interference issues.

2) If you are using the mode that says to distribute IP addresses using DHCP (so that different computers have different IP addresses), make sure that the lease duration is long -- try several days.

3) When you lose the connection, if you do again, Can you reconnect wirelessly if you bring the 'book closer to the Airport Express, like right in front of it? Or does it still refuse? How do you solve it?

hey Mkrish, what's happ'nin!

1) I don't think it's interference issues because my PC computers can still pick up a wireless signal when my ibook can't.

2) errr...I don't know what that is :confused:

3) When I lose connection the wireless airport can't detect my wireless network at all. If I try reconnecting to it manuall by typing in a network name and the the WEP password, it does not pickup. No matter how close I move it to and fro it wont pickup. Ironically if I just restart my mac everything turns out normal. The reason why I think the airport problem is related to the mouse problem is because there is always a "slow down" of the icons and mouse button (the mouse looks like it's moving at 5 frames per second!) when the internet is gone.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Unplug the mouse, repair permissions, restart the Mac, and run it for a few days without the mouse. See if things are fine for these few days, hopefully they will be.

For the record, you probably don't need to restart or repair permissions but it's sort of a case of may-as-well. :)

WillMak

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 29, 2005
mad jew said:
Unplug the mouse, repair permissions, restart the Mac, and run it for a few days without the mouse. See if things are fine for these few days, hopefully they will be.

For the record, you probably don't need to restart or repair permissions but it's sort of a case of may-as-well. :)

Is repair permission the repairing the hard drive thing? The thing where you put in the tiger install disc and boot it up and go to the utilities?

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Well, sort of. I don't think that's all necessary though. I meant repair permissions from Disk Utility in your Utilities folder whereby you select the hard drive you want repaired and simply click "Repair Permissions".

WillMak

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 29, 2005
mad jew said:
Well, sort of. I don't think that's all necessary though. I meant repair permissions from Disk Utility in your Utilities folder whereby you select the hard drive you want repaired and simply click "Repair Permissions".

Ah, well I just did it...and WOW that was really fast. Scan Disc on windows use to take forever! What does repairing the permissions do? Is it like a Scan disc copy for Mac?

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
WillMak said:
Aww your link isn't working for me...

Well that sucks. It's just a page on Apple's support site describing the inner-most details of repairing permissions. You could do a search for it if you want to, it's pretty easy to find. It's weird that it's not letting you click on it though. :(

We're only too happy to help. Plus, you seem to be enjoying the switch, which is the main thing. :)

axisdrama

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2002
I had/have same issue with Airport connection

Hi Willmak,

I have the same issue with my Airport connection. I've had my iBook for about a week?? and have lost my connection a couple times, requiring me to restart my computer to get the connection back. After losing the connection, it certainly seemed like my performance took a hit as well -- cursor jumped a bit while moving it around the Finder, etc. Not sure what could be causing this, but I know it's not the mouse because I ran into the same issue without plugging in the mouse. I'm now running Disk Utility to see if it helps to prevent this from happening again. Let me know if you find out any solution. Thanks! :-D

WillMak

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 29, 2005
axisdrama said:
Hi Willmak,

I have the same issue with my Airport connection. I've had my iBook for about a week?? and have lost my connection a couple times, requiring me to restart my computer to get the connection back. After losing the connection, it certainly seemed like my performance took a hit as well -- cursor jumped a bit while moving it around the Finder, etc. Not sure what could be causing this, but I know it's not the mouse because I ran into the same issue without plugging in the mouse. I'm now running Disk Utility to see if it helps to prevent this from happening again. Let me know if you find out any solution. Thanks! :-D

Well after removing my mouse for about a day and a half, I have yet to have anymore performance issues. It really does seem like the mouse was what did it in for me. Perhaps you have some sort of third party interference that isn't a mouse? printer, keyboard etc?

WillMak

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 29, 2005
axisdrama said:
Hi Willmak,

nevermind abotu the mouse thing. It just happened to me twice in one night. This is friggin annoying. When my windows notebook wireless signal disconnected it would just find it again but when the ibook disconnects, there's a performance lag and it says my network is "out of range" WTH!? I'm right next to the router! If you find a solution to this as well tell me.

Let's compare ibooks. I got a 1.33 12" 1.5GB. So far I've installed. Mac player OSX, VLC, and azureus. One common factor that all the disconnects have in common was the use of azureus (bit torrent) in all of them. When does the disconnects happen to you and what programs have you installed as well?
* I don't remember if this started before or after I installed the Crucial Ram. Do you think the crucial Ram could be causing this?

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
MacSA said:
See what happens if you use a different bit torent client.
I second this. Earlier this year (this was even pre-Tiger) I was firing up BitTorrent, for the first time in ages, to download some of those Mercedes tapes (man those were disappointing, but I digress) and my iBook froze up completely, three times in a row. Switched to Bits On Wheels (that's how I got the Mercedes tapes down) and didn't have any problems.

BitTorrent was also my main suspect when my iBook had a kernel panic way back, and is a contributing factor to why i don't use it torrent programs at all. (Ethics and the availability of free music at the public local library are the main reasons. ;))

Isn't Azureus also Java based...? And thus doubling the chance of something going wrong...

axisdrama

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2002
Well, ever since running disk utility, it hasn't happened to me, but, of course, this doesn't mean that it fixed anything -- it could be unrelated. I don't use bit torrent. I think it happened to me while working on PowerPoint or Word -- not sure if my situation was really software related at all, though. I do have 1GB of Crucial RAM installed, so perhaps that could have caused the problem??? Not sure. If it happens to my computer again, I'll let you know, but so far so good.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.