Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
You honestly think canadians are THAT much better than americans? Since you come from a huge metro area your assertions are WAY off. Small towns in america are extremely close knit but generally Canadians are friendlier (with exceptions of course).

No one is hurling "insults". Its poking fun and obvious sarcasm. Rather ridiculous to be so sensitive. Canada is a very nice country, but to get offended when someone says its not a super power is absurd. Canada has 1/9 the population of the US and does not have anywhere near the cultural impact as its southern neighbor.

Also, G8 refers to 8 of the most industrialized nations, not the top 8 superpowers... China and India are not members.

Btw actual medical care in the US including doctors, treatment times, etc are better than anyone in the world. The main problems are cost and the uninsured. Quality is not a problem, and is a major criticism of nations with single payer or universal health care.

Canada and any Western European country I've been to are miles ahead of us in so many ways. When you travel, you realize that there is so much more out there, and so much better. It's depressing to come back here and realize how screwed up we are.

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
Most americans see Canada as a mini-USA. Our basic cultural premises are similar or the same, we're neighbors, and #1 trading partners. We have way more similarities than differences, other than Canada has a Parliamentary system, a French speaking population, and is not a world power.
Besides, most Americans cannot pick out Canada on a world map. Heck, they even seem to have a problem finding their very own good-ol' U.S. of A.

Unprocessed1

macrumors 65816
Jun 23, 2008
Besides, most Americans cannot pick out Canada on a world map. Heck, they even seem to have a problem finding their very own good-ol' U.S. of A.

Oh come on.... Its closer to 40 percent. :D. Blame the teacher unions and how they've destroyed our public school systems. Americas colleges are still great though.

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
I'm sorry, but the more I travel outside the US, the more I realize what an obesity problem we have here. It's pretty ridiculous. My first few days in Berlin, I kept thinking something was wrong. I couldn't put my finger on it. Then it hit me- no one was overweight. It was so strange.

Oh I wasn't disputing the fact that Americans are pretty much fat. ;)
Just that all Canadians are thin…

Alas, in Europe people are getting fatter. The UK has a massive problem.
Down a typical highstreet in an average town, you cannot move for teenagers with lard arses hanging outside McDonalds or Burger King.
South of Germany? Bavaria? Where do you think all those kartoffel knodel and fatty pork hocks, washed down with beer goes? Straight to the hips.

:)

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
~snip~ Canada is a very nice country, but to get offended when someone says its not a super power is absurd. Canada has 1/9 the population of the US and does not have anywhere near the cultural impact as its southern neighbor.

Wow. Good for Canada. Probably has 1/9 the hate index as well.

I'm not knocking the upside of American cultural dog-wagging. I mean personally I think it was blue jeans and rock'n'roll brought down the Berlin Wall, not Mr Reagan's cheery exhortations. But, a lot of why people don't like American ways is pretty justified.

We have a reputation abroad for xenophobic arrogance and for our domestic focus on infotainment and instant gratification at the expense of instilling knowledge and industry into our next generations. It doesn't sit well in a lot of places in the world and who can blame them: it's not like our ways are working out all that well for us! We're big consumers, but struggling to figure out what we can produce besides paperwork. We're BIG but not in a healthy way. We're my-way-or-highway about a lot of things that offend people abroad (including some Canadians).

So again, good for Canada. They have some outstanding rock bands but they are commendably short on the likes of Paris, Brittany and whoever the oncoming replacements are. I daresay more 10-year-old Canadians than Americans still think that Paris is a city in France...

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
... (snip snip) ...

Also, G8 refers to 8 of the most industrialized nations, not the top 8 superpowers... China and India are not members.
Ironically, the US lobbied hard to get Canada into the G7 (now the G8). They (the Americans) thought there were too many Europeans in the Group and wanted a bit of a counter-balance. Canada wasn't actually that industrialized back then.

Btw actual medical care in the US including doctors, treatment times, etc are better than anyone in the world. The main problems are cost and the uninsured. Quality is not a problem, and is a major criticism of nations with single payer or universal health care.
If you can afford the best treatment, then the US system is as good as anyone. On average, the US system ranks - not so well. Look at the WHO rankings to get the criteria used.

Of course, there is nothing that a couple of "double doubles" and Glazed Traditional won't solve. :)

Did I mention that Canada managed to infiltrate that "All American" Beer Summit. That 25% of the important bits came from North of 49? :p

Kelly Craig

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2009
Colorado
Why would you be proud of things such as starting world wars? How is it a bad thing that a country doesn't start wars that killed millions of people and left millions more injured and traumatized? Not starting wars should be something to be proud of.

I'm glad to see no one has a sense of humor for what is obviously a thread aimed to flame...

MaCnation

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2009
Yeah, it's hard to imagine but there actually are Canadians who are a**holes. I think most of them become politicians though. ;)[/QUOTE]

You've seen our Prime Minister/Fuhrer then?

aloofman

macrumors 68020
Dec 17, 2002
Socal

Quality is most definitely a problem if you're poor and uninsured. Americans who are well-insured and can afford premiums have health measurements that are close to any other western economy. It's the poor people that don't have access to preventative medicine that suffer from high infant mortality and higher death rates from chronic diseases. If you can't afford to be treated until you show up at the emergency room, than high-quality healthcare really isn't available to you.

Blame the teacher unions and how they've destroyed our public school systems.

Considering how little of education spending goes to paying teachers, I'd say that's unlikely. How about because we don't demand that kids know anything anymore? Or would rather pass them so their feelings don't get hurt?

Kelly Craig

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2009
Colorado
One of my best friends is Canadian.

ENTERING JOKE MODE!:
I have tried to cure her of it for years, but it is a disease without a cure. The best I could do for her is let her watch Hulu through my VPN ;)
/end of joke

(I had to clarify what is a joke and what isn't or I get labeled as a Canadian hating ignorant American in this thread for some odd reason) :) lol

DZ/015

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2003
New England
Most Americans don't think about Canadians. But I do. Scheming away up there with their Molson's, hockey, poutine and Tim Hortons. They're planning to take over the world.

click

oldschool

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2003
Yeah, I live in BC and most people are pretty laid back. But if you go to east vancouver you might not think so...

i live in vancouver, and i've never been anywhere else in the world where i've seen people shooting up and smoking crack right in the streets than in east vancouver.

James L

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2004
i live in vancouver, and i've never been anywhere else in the world where i've seen people shooting up and smoking crack right in the streets than in east vancouver.

Not to take away from the reality of the DTES, but I've seen people do that in many, many large cities.

Sad, eh?

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
And for anyone who still thinks all Canadians are nice and polite, check out this report from The Smoking Gun about a telephone prankster from Canada who most definitely is quite the opposite.

Mike Teezie

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2002
I'm jealous of their healthcare, and strong beer.

Say, that could be an interesting "chicken or the egg" argument.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.