Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nikabobriht

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 12, 2016
Now I have a kindle fire(the cheapest one) and the screen looks like hell so I wanna buy an iPad, most likely iPad mini2 because I prefer a 32GB mini2 to a 16GB iPad Air or mini4.. But is it worthy to buy it? or I should wait for next iPad then buy Air with its price falling???

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
Now I have a kindle fire(the cheapest one) and the screen looks like hell so I wanna buy an iPad, most likely iPad mini2 because I prefer a 32GB mini2 to a 16GB iPad Air or mini4.. But is it worthy to buy it? or I should wait for next iPad then buy Air with its price falling???

What do I use an iPad for? I use it to catch dust. Keeps that spot on my shelf clean. :cool:

M. Gustave

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2015
Grand Budapest Hotel
I use mine (Air 1) for everything I need a computer for... which is a lot of stuff actually. I've been "iOS only" for 6 months.

Writing, editing photos, managing my iCloud photo library, family slide shows, banking, printing, email, web browsing, buying/selling on eBay, running Microsoft Office, genealogy work (Ancestry), gaming, streaming music (Apple Music), buying and watching movies/tv shows, creating and managing my to do lists, calendars, and reminders, navigation on trips (I have a 4G/LTE model)... there's probably more I'm missing.

kd5jos

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2007
Denver, CO
Writing (Evernote, Scrivener, Ulysses), editing photos (Photos, Pixelmator), managing my iCloud photo library, family slide shows (Keynote), banking(Credit Union app), printing, email, web browsing (thread different web browsers), buying/selling on eBay/Etsy/Amazon, Pages, Numbers, School work on-line(College), gaming (Gigs of games), streaming music (Apple Music), buying and watching movies/tv shows, creating and managing my to do lists, calendars, and reminders, navigation on trips (I have a 4G/LTE model), programming, design and layout, 3-D printing, terminal connections (secure CRT), amateur radio, training (technical and physical), messaging, digital books, podcasts

The easier approach is to explain why I still have a laptop....

Because I haven't sold it yet.

theatremusician

macrumors member
Dec 17, 2013
I just received my iPad Mini 2 32gb Space Gray today. I'll be integrating it into my guitar rig. I work in theatrical productions.

Reactions: nikabobriht

M. Gustave

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2015
Grand Budapest Hotel
Writing (Evernote, Scrivener, Ulysses), editing photos (Photos, Pixelmator), managing my iCloud photo library, family slide shows (Keynote), banking(Credit Union app), printing, email, web browsing (thread different web browsers), buying/selling on eBay/Etsy/Amazon, Pages, Numbers, School work on-line(College), gaming (Gigs of games), streaming music (Apple Music), buying and watching movies/tv shows, creating and managing my to do lists, calendars, and reminders, navigation on trips (I have a 4G/LTE model), programming, design and layout, 3-D printing, terminal connections (secure CRT), amateur radio, training (technical and physical), messaging

The easier approach is to explain why I still have a laptop....

Because I haven't sold it yet.

I guess I saved you some typing? Er... o_O

Appleaker

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2016
A mini 4 is much better than the 2, and the Air 2 is more powerful than the mini 4 but the same in every other respect. You can get the mini 4 or Air 2 (new) with 64GB storage for very low prices on eBay so I think it's worth going for those over the mini 2.

xaqt93

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2011
To answer the main question of the topic, I use my iPad Pro 9.7 as my main computer. It works out great. Running iOS 10 Beta 4 and its amazing. Playgrounds is amazing and Im really hoping that Apple gives us at least an iPhone simulator on the iPad Pros...that would be amazing.

Reactions: Steve J0bs

mitchsaunders

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2014
Brisbane, Australia
I recently got an iPad mini 3 Wifi + Cellular (refurb from Apple). I didn't feel the need to get the latest iPad mini. I went for the cellular in case I need to research stuff while on the go over the WiFi (and yes, I know tethering phone but better to just have another plan specific for the iPad - got a really good one for a good price so pretty happy).

Sometimes I have to work an hour away some weekends and I utilise public transport (as it's free for me with work) so for the two hour return trip I can use something more portable for my assignment work rather than carrying my laptop around when it's urgent (especially since it's my senior year of high school). I use the office suite, Scanner Pro and Evernote for this point.

Also use it for leisure, something for reading while in bed, and larger screen for gaming.

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
Nothing. I discovered this is not a product for me after trying everything to fit into that niche.

Bought my first iPad3, then 4, a mini and 1st gen Air and nothing made me want to use them.

iPhone + 12" MacBook is my on-the-go combo.

Last edited:

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
I use my iPad for pretty much everything that doesn't require the processing power or storage of my computer, such as RAW image processing and storage. In particular it is also my "go to" travel computer, mostly by motorcycle. It fits great in the panniers, wifi+cellular allows me to connect from about anywhere, even while Moto-camping. It is also handy for meeting agendas, presentations, photo slide shows, etc.

entropi

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2008
Good question. Mainly reading mags and books, doing some notes and sketches in noteshelf (I love that flexible app!) or in notability. Some browsing and quite a lot of radiolistening, too (bbc radio 4).

I got several music apps too, but I find that I usually end up quite frustrated and just move over to my macs for music production instead - they are so much more capable and quick for getting results.

I often find myself thinking I don't really use my iPad (LTE mini 4, 128 GB) as much as I maybe should do. Then again it does some things really well and it is a really nice little mini mac with internet everywhere. So even though it is somewhat limited - it will stay, for shure.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Was using iPad mini to play メルスト because that was the most powerful apple iOS device at that time. But after having A9/A8 iPhone, the only purpose of it is to test how apps can run on low end hardware.
Oh, collect dust.
iPad is perfect for this job is it? ;)

Reactions: flyinmac

bxsonic

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2016
Surabaya
I use my iPad Pro 12.9" as a food tray when having breakfast in bed (way better than the 9.7" Pro) & it is obviously the ultimate tablet for dust collecting due to its size ;)

Reactions: ABC5S and flyinmac

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
I use my iPad Pro 12.9" as a food tray when having breakfast in bed (way better than the 9.7" Pro) & it is obviously the ultimate tablet for dust collecting due to its size ;)

Takes iPad in to Apple. Tells Apple that you spilled your drink on it. Apple says sorry water sensors are activated. Tells Apple, that isn't water, it's soda, and I don't care about turning the iPad on. I just want my soda replaced. This darn coaster is defective.

Reactions: lyngo and ABC5S

bxsonic

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2016
Surabaya
Takes iPad in to Apple. Tells Apple that you spilled your drink on it. Apple says sorry water sensors are activated. Tells Apple, that isn't water, it's soda, and I don't care about turning the iPad on. I just want my soda replaced. This darn coaster is defective.

Typical Apple. Zero innovation. When Apple introduces water resistance, I fully expect Samsung to introduce soda resistant phones.

Reactions: Bojan and flyinmac

lympero

macrumors 6502a
Sep 1, 2008
Arta, Greece
Thanks to Tim for his persistence that an iPad is indeed a true PRO laptop replacement, I'm currently using my iPad for :
Running laravel with homestead, Xcode, visual studio and lately for catching up with android with android studio.
I can also run terminal commands for setting up my Mongo databases.
I'm also using the apple pen to scratch my head when I am trying to find the file manager in my new iPad - laptop replacement.

M. Gustave

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2015
Grand Budapest Hotel
...I'm also using the apple pen to scratch my head when I am trying to find the file manager in my new iPad - laptop replacement.

It's right here:

image.jpeg

Fozziebear71

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2014
The typical Apple bashers need a new slur for this thread. The "dust catcher" slur has been worn out. Better question is why do so many people frequent a forum to continually bash a company they supposedly hate.

To answer the OP question, I use my 12.9 Pro for many things and my macbook pro less since getting the iPad Pro. I have owned several iPad's before this one but the added screen space is the difference for me. Oddly enough, some people prefer a laptop. Some people prefer an iMac desktop. Apple makes different products to suit different peoples needs. Oh, the horror.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
With my Air 2 64GB LTE I use it for anything that requires a larger screen but not the power of a laptop e.g. doing basic document editing, watching lengthy videos on YouTube and movies, browsing the web when I want a larger display than my phone etc...

It will never be able to replace a laptop, but it's a nice go-between device between laptop and my phablet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.