Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

redhatcode29

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 21, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
Guys, anyone came across such an experience ? Its like beach sand or coarse power, keeps coming out... At the battery, on the table... Its leaking with this !!

No hdd detected, track pad fine, Need to teardown i guess.

image.jpeg

Also, in your experiences ....is this the LCd or gpu ? Tried an external screen but no image at all.
image.jpeg

CooperBox

macrumors 68000
With reference to the debris issue, although not stated, I presume this is an iBook you have just acquired rather than one which was in use by yourself previously, and known to be clean and functional.
If recently acquired, it's highly likely that it has been used on or near a sandy beach. Time for a strip-down methinks.

redhatcode29

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 21, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
For the first issue, there is probably something inside of it, second, that is definitely the LCD

Ohhh that sounds spooky, something inside of it :p i wonder wht it is...

If its the lcd, then it should be fine. But i think that the gpu issue may follow up, the screen kinda has horizontal lines, if viewed from another angle.

[doublepost=1455527404][/doublepost]
With reference to the debris issue, although not stated, I presume this is an iBook you have just acquired rather than one which was in use by yourself previously, and known to be clean and functional.
If recently acquired, it's highly likely that it has been used on or near a sandy beach. Time for a strip-down methinks.

True, aquired. I dnt quite know wherevit has been though ! Definitely need to strip.

Reactions: Goatllama

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
The keyboard is simple to lift up (just release the latches near each top corner, and flip back over the palm rest.
What does it look like underneath the keyboard?

redhatcode29

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 21, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
The keyboard is simple to lift up (just release the latches near each top corner, and flip back over the palm rest.
What does it look like underneath the keyboard?

Definitely it is easy ... (Compared to the powerbook, pheww) !

Under the keyboard it is fine... But then i took a closer look at it today, once the battery is removed, in the inner part, its like corrosion. Its grown like fungers !

I think this corrosion must have grown all over in the inner part.

Dows this happen due to non useage for a ling period ?
[doublepost=1455589778][/doublepost]
I think the second one is definitely Edvard Munch

Ok... I need to google that! I hv no idea...

redhatcode29

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 21, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
this is what is inside it........

P1020291.JPG
P1020293.JPG

This was a tricky one, i thought i had broke the connector !
P1020304.JPG

Its all over, the fan does not seem to spin. i pushed it a bit, it spanned a little and then stopped again.
P1020319.JPG
P1020333.JPG

Now we know where this substance came from.
P1020342.JPG

Reactions: Goatllama

redhatcode29

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 21, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
its grown on the chassis all over, so not being sure that it'll detect the HDD, tied slotting in a hdd, it did kick in.

but could not get pass the initial boot screen. thought maybe the ram wasn't sufficient..... Actually ether was NO ram in it, i kinda ddnt notice it, even though it was just in front of my eyes....

So what do you guys think ? is this mess worth cleaning up ? I certainly want to !

Will the fungers grow again ? Also the fan, dont know how to deal with it !

Attachments

• P1020349.JPG
    P1020349.JPG
    568.6 KB · Views: 94
  • P1020352.JPG
    P1020352.JPG
    556.6 KB · Views: 101
  • P1020358.JPG
    P1020358.JPG
    616.5 KB · Views: 89
  • P1020363.JPG
    P1020363.JPG
    584.5 KB · Views: 95
  • P1020373.JPG
    P1020373.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 109
  • P1020375.JPG
    P1020375.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 87
  • P1020384.JPG
    P1020384.JPG
    455 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:

MacCubed

macrumors 68000
Apr 26, 2014
Florida
Tear the entire iBook down, buy some 91% or higher isopropyl alcohol, and scrub it all down with a toothbrush. As for the fan, the substance got into the bearings which is preventing the fan from spinning. I am not too sure if these fans can be taken apart to clean, but if they can, try it

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
The fans are cheap to replace in any case. It looks like some of that mutant vegetation has got into the LCD. That probably isn't fixable.

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2016
Ugh, that's just extremely nasty. Where did that iBook come from?! I honestly wouldn't bother, the nastiness and potential health risk aren't worth it IMO.

WalnutSpice

Suspended
Jun 21, 2015
Canton, Oh
Looks like old cat spray. It gets crusty after a few years like that. Maybe the previous owner of the iBook had a lot of cats and didn't keep the place clean so for years the iBook just inhaled it and now, this.
Also the LCD looks like a cat has been laying on the lid and the pressure over time made it do that

redhatcode29

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 21, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
Looks like old cat spray. It gets crusty after a few years like that. Maybe the previous owner of the iBook had a lot of cats and didn't keep the place clean so for years the iBook just inhaled it and now, this.
Also the LCD looks like a cat has been laying on the lid and the pressure over time made it do that

Cat spray ? U mean its urine ? Owgh.$&@@>££¥€€, u just made me puke dude !!!

Me n cats are a no go! But if it was what u mentioned, there'd at least a fur or two in or on the ibook right ? There was none though.

Please undo wht u mentioned..:( I am having second thoughts now !
[doublepost=1455861012][/doublepost]Ye
I say go for it! Ya got nothing to lose, and you sound like you'll have a fun time of it. And if you get it to work, well, I know you would be incredibly pleased. :D

Yeah i would ( not that i have the time :D) but walnut just turned me off:eek:
[doublepost=1455861316][/doublepost]
Ugh, that's just extremely nasty. Where did that iBook come from?! I honestly wouldn't bother, the nastiness and potential health risk aren't worth it IMO.

I got no idea where its been! I hv a problem of resisting these power pcs'. I see an add, which rarely appears and i see it, everthing goes outta control!

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
I was going to say that it looks like some sort of liquid spill to me with sugar "crystals" growing in it. If I wanted to salvage it, I'd probably be doing a complete tear-down(with gloves on!) and cleaning every part to death. Honestly, though, my inclination would be to junk it, and I say that having salvaged some pretty bad machines.

MacCubed

macrumors 68000
Apr 26, 2014
Florida
I was going to say that it looks like some sort of liquid spill to me with sugar "crystals" growing in it. If I wanted to salvage it, I'd probably be doing a complete tear-down(with gloves on!) and cleaning every part to death. Honestly, though, my inclination would be to junk it, and I say that having salvaged some pretty bad machines.
Glittered Pismo!
[doublepost=1455891271][/doublepost]Also what model iBook is it? If it's a 900MHz I say save it, anything lower then it's your choice

redhatcode29

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 21, 2014
Kuala Lumpur

If it was a liquid spill, there must be something on the keyboard and the logic board, at least some rust. The logicboard and keyboard is speckless.

Also i saw a service sticker backdating to 2012, i broke the seal, which means this ibook must have been sitting around doing nothing for four years, the hdd must have been removed back then. Given its age and the non use, must have generated this funger !
[doublepost=1455894451][/doublepost]
Glittered Pismo!
[doublepost=1455891271][/doublepost]Also what model iBook is it? If it's a 900MHz I say save it, anything lower then it's your choice

Its an 800 mhz.

MacCubed

macrumors 68000
Apr 26, 2014
Florida
If it was a liquid spill, there must be something on the keyboard and the logic board, at least some rust. The logicboard and keyboard is speckless.

Also i saw a service sticker backdating to 2012, i broke the seal, which means this ibook must have been sitting around doing nothing for four years, the hdd must have been removed back then. Given its age and the non use, must have generated this funger !
[doublepost=1455894451][/doublepost]

Its an 800 mhz.
Close enough I guess... I would do it just to keep another PPC going

for this

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2014
Looks like it's from battery leaking, the current battery may be a replacement of that one.

redhatcode29

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 21, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
Looks like it's from battery leaking, the current battery may be a replacement of that one.

Possible, thats what i initially thought.
[doublepost=1455990416][/doublepost]
Close enough I guess... I would do it just to keep another PPC going

Yup, too close.

I am just worried that if this thing is contagious and gets to another mac of mine.... That would be a disaster !

This is how it looks now. Feel like wannna soak it in some bleach! It is stubborn, using isopropyl first is not gonna do it easily.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.