Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

redhatcode29

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 21, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
Need some suggestions, other than isopropyl, what can i use for the chasis?

I am seriously thinking of using petroleum ! No not gonna torch it! This is a stubborn mutation. So i think using some which is quite strong should do it.

The isopropyl should do for the logic board and other components.

What u guys think ? Will paint thinner or petroleum be too much ?

redhatcode29

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 21, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
This isnt going down easily. Isopropyl 99% , thinner/spirit... clorox BLEACH... yeap nothing is able to bring down this vegetation ! Though there a change to it.

Its like as if the subtance has eaten into the chasis ! I could try sand-paper and spay paint it, but sandpaper cant at all the surfaces. This is going to be a long journey !

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

MagicBoy

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2006
Manchester, UK
I've got a hunch the iBook has a magnesium alloy frame. Corrosion from exposure to a salt water environment, say near the coast perhaps?

MacCubed

macrumors 68000
Apr 26, 2014
Florida
Thanks Cube, your feedback always manages to give me the urge .... :)
Haha np! Im all for fixing these PPC Macs, and in your country, I presume they are much more rare than in the US. Either way I would go for the repair for fun! You do have another LCD screen though right? Or was that a 14" G3?

redhatcode29

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 21, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
I've got a hunch the iBook has a magnesium alloy frame. Corrosion from exposure to a salt water environment, say near the coast perhaps?
I dnt know about the material.
......But the 'corrosion of salt water' is what i get a lot ! Somehow the coast is no where near to where i obtained this iB.
[doublepost=1456977617][/doublepost]
Haha np! Im all for fixing these PPC Macs, and in your country, I presume they are much more rare than in the US. Either way I would go for the repair for fun! You do have another LCD screen though right? Or was that a 14" G3?

No i dont have another. Will just have to hunt and wait for another 12" . The other one is a 14".
Wanted to get an iB G4 12" to replace the fan, but realised that it was not the same and i dont think the lcd is goin to be a match as well.

Yes they are rare, makes it all the more difficult to dump it.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
Found something. From http://www.apple.com/sg/ibook/specs.html : "inside, a sturdy magnesium frame provides superior strength, while reducing the weight of the iBook G4 to well below that of other full-featured PC notebooks"

So the question is : what would corrode Magnesium or Magnesium alloy. @bunnspecial might know...

Truth be told, a lot can corrode magnesium like that. It's probably the most reactive of the metals that's commonly used in its elemental form. Pure magnesium rapidly develops an oxide film on exposure to air(this happens within a few minutes)-in fact when we want to use Mg in the lab we often use ribbons and will either sand them or even physically scrape them with a knife to expose magnesium metal immediately before use. Fortunately, the oxide film is(somewhat) self limiting-much like Aluminum-and does serve somewhat as a protective coating.

All of that said, any moderately electrolytic liquid(including tap water) over time could cause it to look like that.

Cox Orange

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2010
Found something. From http://www.apple.com/sg/ibook/specs.html : "inside, a sturdy magnesium frame provides superior strength, while reducing the weight of the iBook G4 to well below that of other full-featured PC notebooks"

So the question is : what would corrode Magnesium or Magnesium alloy. @bunnspecial might know...
When I saw it I was reminded of tools that have batteries left in them. When the battery's liquid spills out and gets dry you are left with stuff that looks like the stuff on the metal frame.

CYB3RBYTE

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2014
Midwest
You may want to see a doctor about that iBook, looks like it caught a nasty STD all over the frame and motherboard, LOL!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.