Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
So there you have it, because of an apple design the component is failing, that certainly sounds like apple should be responsible and not the chip maker.

If the apple design was within spec for the component, then the component failure is the fault of the supplier.

Yes, Apple may have pushed the limit harder. But that is how you get the designs they produce. If the component failed and it was within the design parameters as per spec provided to apple then the cause of the problem is not Apple.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
If you need the dGPU for work and or study purpose so be it, equally there is an increased chance of premature failure.
Agreed, and my next MBP will be a iGPU only, not just because of the failure rates of the dGPU models but also Intel has significantly improved the iGPU to the point it is a viable alternative - at least for my needs.

This is really weird, I've bought several Apple products from Amazon/Apple never had this issue.
I've had a few minor issues but in general, I agree with you. I've enjoyed nearly a problem free apple existence :D

Reactions: bobcan and Queen6

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida
Are you sure its just a few?

Apple had to address the failing dGPU on 2008, 2010, 2011 MBPs. I'm not saying apple's quality is failing but I'm also not diminishing the issues to say only a few are suffering. Clearly its enough to warrant the company to create an extended repair program.

A few compared to the millions of Apple products being sold. My experience with my purchases over the years and I'm just one has been very good.

Reactions: bobcan and throAU

Queen6

macrumors G4
A few compared to the millions of Apple products being sold. My experience with my purchases over the years and I'm just one has been very good.

Same here never had an issue, equally just short of 40K here have very differing opinions. Apple have put extended warranty in place due to direct court action and or in more recent years to avoid the same.

For myself my Mac portable`s pay for themselves, equally for many others this is not the case. The 15" may or may not be a significant purchase for some, for the Notebook to fail within 2-3 years is not acceptable by any standards...

Q-6

Last edited:

Juan TS

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2011
London, UK
I can report that my recently delivered (Monday morning) replacement (they CRUed my 17" Macbook Pro) has no dents or bending in it that I can detect. It did, however have a bad SSD. I can't be too angry since they replaced my 4 year old computer with a brand new top spec model with the 1TB SSD, but if I had paid I would be looking into other notebooks.
Hi Venom!

Was your 17" Mac replaced by a retina one, and if so entry level or hi end?? (Also, was your 17" hi end or entry model?)

venom600

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Hi Venom!

Was your 17" Mac replaced by a retina one, and if so entry level or hi end?? (Also, was your 17" hi end or entry model?)

In truth, I got the deal of the century. Long story, but I bought my refurbished early 2011 17" 2.2Ghz MBP last April for $1100 on closeout from Microcenter (they had a huge stock of them). I bought Apple Care, maxed the memory and bought an SSD. I had the logic board fail three times since January (CRU requires three major repairs before they will swap it), in addition to the keyboard failing. I called Apple and said I wasn't happy and expected better and upon review of my account the senior support guy gave me two options: have Apple repair the machine again if I wanted to keep the 17 or replace it with a base 2015 15 with a 1GB SSD upgrade, since the 17" came with a 750GB HD and they replace like for like. Initially I didn't accept that because I need the discrete GPU but they wouldn't budge, and the Iris Pro graphics aren't much worse than the Radeon 6750 anyway.

I agreed to the swap, but when they called back the next day to setup the transfer, they had upgraded me to a model with both the SSD upgrade and the Radeon GPU. If it had been in store, they likely would have replaced it with a maxed out 2.8/1TB/GPU on the spot (they did for someone else here), but I essentially ended up with a $3000 notebook for $1100. On top of that, since i didn't transfer the Applecare (never do that... the original end date applies even if it is a day later, and you can't renew it), they refunded the difference for the unused portion.

The key is to have had multiple major replacements, then speak to a senior service provider over the phone or a genius at the store and express how disappointed you are that a $3000 computer has given you this much trouble, repeatedly. Be nice, don't blame anyone and you never know what can happen.

Juan TS

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2011
London, UK
In truth, I got the deal of the century. Long story, but I bought my refurbished early 2011 17" 2.2Ghz MBP last April for $1100 on closeout from Microcenter (they had a huge stock of them). I bought Apple Care, maxed the memory and bought an SSD. I had the logic board fail three times since January (CRU requires three major repairs before they will swap it), in addition to the keyboard failing. I called Apple and said I wasn't happy and expected better and upon review of my account the senior support guy gave me two options: have Apple repair the machine again if I wanted to keep the 17 or replace it with a base 2015 15 with a 1GB SSD upgrade, since the 17" came with a 750GB HD and they replace like for like. Initially I didn't accept that because I need the discrete GPU but they wouldn't budge, and the Iris Pro graphics aren't much worse than the Radeon 6750 anyway.

I agreed to the swap, but when they called back the next day to setup the transfer, they had upgraded me to a model with both the SSD upgrade and the Radeon GPU. If it had been in store, they likely would have replaced it with a maxed out 2.8/1TB/GPU on the spot (they did for someone else here), but I essentially ended up with a $3000 notebook for $1100. On top of that, since i didn't transfer the Applecare (never do that... the original end date applies even if it is a day later, and you can't renew it), they refunded the difference for the unused portion.

The key is to have had multiple major replacements, then speak to a senior service provider over the phone or a genius at the store and express how disappointed you are that a $3000 computer has given you this much trouble, repeatedly. Be nice, don't blame anyone and you never know what can happen.

Thanks for the thorough answer!

I am in a similar situation. My 2012 Retina MBP 2.2 (base model with 1GB dGPU) was CRUed a week ago. I am really afraid they'll offer me a 2015 (perhaps 2014) base model. Great, right? After all it is overall faster! Problem is the base models no longer have dGP. And by looking at cinebench benchmarks the 2012 base model is faster in graphics than the more recent ones. And I doubt they'll give me one with 2GB dGPU (only models available now).

In your opinion what do you think I should do?

Queen6

macrumors G4

I am in a similar situation. My 2012 Retina MBP 2.2 (base model with 1GB dGPU) was CRUed a week ago. I am really afraid they'll offer me a 2015 (perhaps 2014) base model. Great, right? After all it is overall faster! Problem is the base models no longer have dGP. And by looking at cinebench benchmarks the 2012 base model is faster in graphics than the more recent ones. And I doubt they'll give me one with 2GB dGPU (only models available now).

Apple now only offers one portable Mac with dGPU, and that have to replace your 2012 Retina with a system that is either equal or exceed the specification of the original, I would say you will get a 2015 with dGPU, if they offer different be polite and simply state that you bought the 2012 Retina explicitly as it has a dGPU, not integrated graphics.

Q-6

Juan TS

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2011
London, UK
Apple now only offers one portable Mac with dGPU, and that have to replace your 2012 Retina with a system that is either equal or exceed the specification of the original, I would say you will get a 2015 with dGPU, if they offer different be polite and simply state that you bought the 2012 Retina explicitly as it has a dGPU, not integrated graphics.

Q-6

Thank you very much for your answer. Will do as you say!

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia

Q-6

Depends. The performance of the integrated GPUs is pretty good/better in some areas compared to the 2011 spec discrete GPUs.

"I need discrete graphics" doesn't mean anything. What you need, and what you purchased was a particular performance level, the GPU hardware to reach that level of performance is irrelevant.

venom600

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Depends. The performance of the integrated GPUs is pretty good/better in some areas compared to the 2011 spec discrete GPUs.

"I need discrete graphics" doesn't mean anything. What you need, and what you purchased was a particular performance level, the GPU hardware to reach that level of performance is irrelevant.

That's exactly what they said to me. The Iris Pro is roughly equivalent to the Radeon in the 2011 MBP in performance. They upgraded me because I stressed that I have apps that won't work on integrated graphics. They are such sticklers that they were willing to give me a 15 with Iris Pro and upgrade it to the 1TB SSD (making it a $2800 machine) rather than give me the $2500 15" with the Radeon.

venom600

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2003
Los Angeles, CA

Make it abundantly clear that you have a specific need for the dGPU and they'll likely work with you. You won't get a 2014 unit... they only deal with what's on the Apple Store.

Reactions: bobcan and Queen6

Queen6

macrumors G4

"if you don't ask, you won't get" I have progressively moved away from Apple portables with dGPU, equally of the two we still have if they were to fail i fully expect Apple to replace like with like.

Q-6

Juan TS

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2011
London, UK
Make it abundantly clear that you have a specific need for the dGPU and they'll likely work with you. You won't get a 2014 unit... they only deal with what's on the Apple Store.

Evidence demonstrating how my nvidia GT 650M dGPU is faster than the Iris Pro graphics is shown in this video:

My problem is that the benchmarking is from 2013 Macs, not 2015, even though since 2013 they have had the same Iris Pro 5200 graphics. Do you think that'll be evidence enough?

venom600

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
It's good to have in your back pocket but I doubt you'll need it. Don't back down and you'll likely get what you want. What surprises me is that it is taking this long to resolve. I had my custom replacement unit built and delivered in the amount of time you've been dealing with this. Call your support rep and send an email asking for an update. Then call AppleCare directly and ask what the deal is. Having another support rep view the case tends to move things along.

Juan TS

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2011
London, UK
It's good to have in your back pocket but I doubt you'll need it. Don't back down and you'll likely get what you want. What surprises me is that it is taking this long to resolve. I had my custom replacement unit built and delivered in the amount of time you've been dealing with this. Call your support rep and send an email asking for an update. Then call AppleCare directly and ask what the deal is. Having another support rep view the case tends to move things along.

Thanks Venom, you are the man. You are right - I was authorised a CRU on the 2nd of July, been 12 full days now. Will do as you say. Thanks again my friend, very good and nice of you to give such dedicated advice.

CursedDICE

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2015
Is there a store near you? I am going to assume no as you ordered what seems to be 3 from the online store but if you happen to know of one it would be worth it to go in, explain the situation, make a purchase there and check it out before you leave.

Sorry you are having some bad luck, this is definitely enough to cause frustration just once, let alone 3 times.

Try receiving 3 with hardware issues (all around the same theme) n 8 months and then realising along the way the very first one you voluntarily gave up at the very beginning you could have kept and had it in far better shape (although only had it three days, for all I know it was about to go bad too)

repairquestion

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2015
Thanks Venom, you are the man. You are right - I was authorised a CRU on the 2nd of July, been 12 full days now. Will do as you say. Thanks again my friend, very good and nice of you to give such dedicated advice.

Hey, mind me asking what happened in your case? I'm in something similar and am curious which machine they gave you. Thanks!

powerslave65

macrumors 6502
Mar 21, 2011
Sherman Oaks CA
I just got my 3rd faulty MacBook Pro - i didnt even unpack it at whole - just turned it around and saw a dent... again.
It is the completely new 15 Inch 2015 Model, not refurbished or used. I already returned two devices and brought the 3rd back to UPS today. The first had three dents in total on the bottom of the device. The second one had a bent Display lid (which can't be seen very well on the photo but it was definitively over milimeter in difference which is too much for a 2249€ machine in my opinion). I'm a Little pissed because i really need the machine for University but i'm not willing to keep a broken product with dents or bent display because apple can't get it right. I bought a new machine for 2249€ so i expect perfection in every detail.

Are there similar experiences out there or am i just very, very unlucky?

First with the 3 denkts (you can see two in the picture - one in the middle and one at the top)
View attachment 560299

Second one with the bent Display:
View attachment 560300

Third with one dent:
View attachment 560301
Unless the computer was opened by a reseller or damaged by customs this story is impossible to believe. Most of Apple's production issues are exactly that not allowing damage through QC. Where it was purchased from and what country's customs it was sent through would be a more likely issue than Apple QC.

Last edited:

JD92

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2005
Unless the computer was opened by a reseller or damaged by customs this story is impossible to believe. Most of Apple's production issues are exactly that not allowing damage through QC. Where it was purchased from and what country's customs it was sent through would be a more likely issue than Apple QC.

We have absolutely no idea what Apple's quality control procedures are. My own personal experience, alongside a few years hanging around on these forums, confirms to me that it is very possible for products to get through Apple's quality control with small cosmetic defects.

If you've never received a MacBook, iPad or iPhone with a small scratch or dent on it then I'm happy for you, but don't dismiss the experiences of other people.

Juan TS

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2011
London, UK
To let you both know, and anyone with similar situation, I just had my base 2012 (256/8) rMBP replaced with the 2015 discrete graphic model. Fantastic AppleCare experience.
Thats great! Called today and they told me mine was the 2015 base model. However, upon saying that mine is much faster graphics wise, they ordered one w/ dGPU!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.