Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
iGav said:
and then...

Righhhhhhhhhhhhht! :p

It's not mine really either... though I love a Wimpy burger. Thing is I could reel off the 10 coolest places to dine, thing is... like most things it depends on the mood I'm in. :D

Sometimes I crave a Wimpey burger, in which case Wimpy's is my favourite restaurant... etc etc etc. ;)

alright, you sold me. i'll try it. :D

BakedBeans

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2004
What's Your Favorite Posish
Mr. Anderson said:
don't feed the troll....

I wasn't really trolling (or trying to troll)... I just wanted to get something scummy in before pretentiousness took over and people started naming the most expensive restaurant they can think of, to try to make themselves look that little bit superiour to everyone else.

The answer also had the intent to let people, who were thinking the same thing as I was, know that it doesn't matter where you eat or what you eat as to which type of person you are and that if you are judgmental enough to judge me on the type of restaurant I like (which, just for clarity, is not the american burger chain) I really don't care if you want to know me or not because I cannot be friends or friendly with the people that care.

It is happening to much around here lately. People being judged on how they spell, or their political orientation or what type or car they have etc. So, in my deluded world, saying 'McDonalds' was a quiet stand against the recent bigotry that has become the norm in this part of the forum. It also saved me writing this bunch of gibberish.

I like home cooked meals more than eating out.

BakedBeans

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2004
Lau said:
And they have a menu item called "Bender in a bun" with the catchphrase "Are you a big and bendy bender biter?", and you can't argue with that kind of marketing. ;)

:D :D :D

I remember that from a few years back when I was in school.... dear-oh-dear did we have fun with that.

Thanks for the laugh.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
OK, my favourite restaurant is Aperitivo in Beak Street, Soho, London.

Unpretentious Italian tapas, reasonably-priced... the food is good but not great, but I always have a fantastic time when I go there as the service and atmosphere are so welcoming... I even have my favourite table and am starting to recognised as a regular now which helped me get an unbooked table late on Tuesday night.

There's one in Camden as well. Recommended and just a couple of minutes away from Apple Store, Regent Street.

http://www.aperitivo-restaurants.com/

p.s. And no-one seems to be judging others in this thread on what kind of restaurant they like. I like reading about other people's experiences in restaurants and why they like them... Perhaps some people around here have a chunky potato wedge on their shoulder. ;)

drlunanerd

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2004
BakedBeans said:
I wasn't really trolling (or trying to troll)... I just wanted to get something scummy in before pretentiousness took over and people started naming the most expensive restaurant they can think of, to try to make themselves look that little bit superiour to everyone else.

I can play this game ;) The best meal I've had at a restaurant in recent memory was at a Gordon Ramsay establishment in London. The food and wine were exquisite - I really mean that. However, the meal was on the house as I have connections to Mr Ramsay. Ordinarily I'm too stingy to eat at his places, heh.

Edit: and no, I wasn't in the audience on Channel 4's "The F Word" - this wasn't cooked by some City w/b-ankers or A&E nurses (although I wouldn't mind them actually) :D

Me too *burp* :)

BakedBeans

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2004
drlunanerd said:
I can play this game ;) The best meal I've had at a restaurant in recent memory was at a Gordon Ramsay establishment in London. The food and wine were exquisite - I really mean that. However, the meal was on the house as I have connections to Mr Ramsay.

:D

You are indeed the finer gentleman ;)

Got to love home cooked 'grub' though - even if its in a..... erm.... restaurant... not sure that makes sense.

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Aug 1, 2004
The City of Culture, Englandshire
The Custom House in Hull. Fantastic food – the menu's a mix of Italian, seafood and meat and it's all lovely stuff. Not at all pretentious either, if you're worried about that sort of thing. ;)

Plus, as a bonus it's just around the corner from The Black Boy, the city's finest pub – perfect for a post meal drink. :)

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
BakedBeans said:

Perhaps, we'll all visit to try your cooking.

Besides, if it weren't for the pretentious, how would we realise who the rest of us are? :D

Someone once hired his friend's French style restaurant for me, so that I could eat the world's most expensive beef. It was a disaster. I would have been happier at the simple place down the street eating traditional food.

I don't think you can put a price on good food or a title on the people who make it. Simply having gone to a cooking school and having the title "chef" doesn't automatically make you any better than the grandmother down the street who'd been cooking since she was 10.

BakedBeans

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2004
bousozoku said:
Perhaps, we'll all visit to try your cooking.

As long as you like beans on toast.... You're all more than welcome :D

I don't think you can put a price on good food or a title on the people who make it. Simply having gone to a cooking school and having the title "chef" doesn't automatically make you any better than the grandmother down the street who'd been cooking since she was 10.

Grannies make the best food... I think it's a fact :D

BakedBeans

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2004
Jaffa Cake said:
The Custom House in Hull. Fantastic food – the menu's a mix of Italian, seafood and meat and it's all lovely stuff. Not at all pretentious either, if you're worried about that sort of thing. ;)

Plus, as a bonus it's just around the corner from The Black Boy, the city's finest pub – perfect for a post meal drink. :)

It wasn't the restaurants pretentiousness I was worried about ;)

Crazy crab sounds AWESOME though....

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
BakedBeans said:
As long as you like beans on toast.... You're all more than welcome :D

Maybe, I'll stop somewhere first but I'd keep an open mind and try some. <tries to look pretentious>

Stampyhead

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2004
London, UK
BakedBeans said:
Grannies make the best food... I think it's a fact :D
Not my granny. She makes good Irish soda bread, but other than that she is the worst cook in the world. We always dreaeded Christmas Day every year having to go to her house for Christmas dinner...

kondspi

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2006
NC
iBlue said:
Probably The Cheesecake Factory. Pity they don't have them in the UK but that's no surprise... and I can't really complain. ;)
The thing with the Cheesecake Factory... I think some of their food is... (GASP!)... reheated!

If you go, ask if the dish you're ordering is made fresh. If so, you're in for a pleasant experience. Otherwise, don't bother.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
A little Chinese restaurant in Manchester called The Happy Garden... I think. It's great. Nice atmosphere.

OR

Harts Head Pike for family do's, White Hart for the romantic meals. One of the top restaurants in the country I believe. I found that out years after knowing the head chef there, I never put 2 and 2 together. Then I got a load of "on the house" meals :D

zwida

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2001
NYC + Madison, WI
Favorite everyday kind of place is called Mooncake Foods on Watts Street in Manhattan.

Fresh ingredients. Delicious asian flavors.

masterapple04

macrumors regular
May 26, 2004
Massachusetts, USA
I know someone will ride me about this, but my favorite restaurant is the Outback Steakhouse. I know it's a chain and it's really expensive, but I've never had a meal there that wasn't the best thing I've ever eaten.

If you ever go, get the Aussie Cheese Fries - big fries with real cheddar cheese and bacon bits. A heart attack waiting to happen, but absolutely delicious.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
masterapple04 said:
I know someone will ride me about this, but my favorite restaurant is the Outback Steakhouse. I know it's a chain and it's really expensive, but I've never had a meal there that wasn't the best thing I've ever eaten.

If you ever go, get the Aussie Cheese Fries - big fries with real cheddar cheese and bacon bits. A heart attack waiting to happen, but absolutely delicious.

You're really serious? ;)

I've never been because it was always too busy. I've been to the fake Canadian steakhouse chain, Bugaboo Creek, though, and the food was good, so I would imagine that the fake Australian steakhouse chain might be equally acceptable.

Old Smuggler

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2006
to the above poster
i was gonna scold you about the outback
but then i thought people like different stuff just cause someone doesnt like what i like are they an SOB certainly not

but for me outback sucks i think their steaks are aweful the ribeye has so much seasoning on it i cant even taste the steak
i like my steak with nothing on it except grill marks a lil salt and blood

right now my favorite restaraunt is a little local catfish joint
but next month it will be something else probably sushi again

xsedrinam

macrumors 601
Oct 21, 2004
To me, it's always a combo of things: Setting, atmosphere, context, location and of course good food. One of the most impressionable restaurant experience for me as a Jr. in high school was our Masque & Gavel Society taking a week's tour in to NYC and Manhattan. We at at the old Mama Leone's for a 9 course Italian dinner, went out later to see Carol Channing in "Hello Dolly". Next day was Sardis and Sammy David Jr. in "Golden Boy".

I understand Mama Leone's has moved out of Manhattan since '94 so I've lost track of their doings and planning to reopen elsewhere.

Another favorite spot in St. Louis (usually anywhere Italian) was Cyranos. Their Cherries Jubilee was out of this world, along with sandwiches and breads. Too much in the past, I know, but those restaurant experiences are fond memories. Of course I was falling head over heals in love with a Sr. girl friend in those day, so things automatically taste better that way. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.