Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
I had a Nikon Coolpix 880 that I dropped into the water when taking pictures after a hurricane.

That camera took kick-ass pictures.

If I ever get a point and shoot again, it will be a Nikon.

(Don't tell anybody.)

Moxiemike

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
iGary said:
I had a Nikon Coolpix 880 that I dropped into the water when taking pictures after a hurricane.

That camera took kick-ass pictures.

If I ever get a point and shoot again, it will be a Nikon.

(Don't tell anybody.)

As we say in Pittsburgh, "shut it you jag-off" (in reference to your don't tell anybody about buying a nikon p&s.

;) ;) ;)

Anyway. I've noticed an unholy amount of camera gear stacking up in the corner of my office. Scary.

Nikon D2h
Nikon D100
Nikon N80
Nikon FM (x2)
Nikkor 20mm 2.8
Nikkor 35mm 2.0
Nikkor 50mm 1.8
Sigma 50mm 2.8 macro
Nikkor 85 mm 1.8
Sigma 105mm 2.8 macro (which i hardly ever use. shame)
Nikkor 12-24 AF-S DX G f4.0
Nikkor 17-55 AF-S DX G f2.8 (brilliant lens. pricey but worth it)
Sigma 24-70 EX DG f2.8
Sigma 70-200 EX DG f2.8 (i rarely get chanes to use this in work, but did yesterday. great results)
Nikon SB-800 x 4
Interfit Colorflash 2x300 w/s Lighting system with stands
Numerous backdrops.
Backdrop Support Stand by Interfit
Bogen Manfrotto tripod
Bogen Manfrotto monopod
Crumpler bag for most of my gear and Interfit bags for the lights and stands.

A modest pro kit. Looking to add a D2x pretty damn soon. Too much of a winner for me to pass up. Also looking to add a 20mm f2.8 in exchange for the 24, and getting a 300mm f4 AF-S Nikkor in the future.

Of course, my dream lens at the moment is a Nikkor 200mm f2.0 with Silent Focusing (AF-S) and vibration reduction (VR). On my D2h, it would give me a 300mm f2.0 with vibration reduction. On a D2x with the hi-speed crop mode, would be a 400mm f2.0 with VR. Imagine slapping a 1.4x TC on it-- You'd get 560mm at f2.8 with VR in the crop mode of the D2x.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

I also bring my 12" Powerbook to most gigs with iPod Photo for easy photo transfer. It's a fun system. Though the nights I take it out, I forgo the opportunity to have passengers in my car. ;)

FYI-- I still have my Coolpix 880. My dad uses it with his CP 4100, and although the LCD is broken on the 880, the photos it makes are still stunning. Back in the day, I snapped a photo of a sandwich for a local convenience store and it was used on a billboard and looked great (from 40' away while driving, of course.)

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
Moxiemike said:
As we say in Pittsburgh, "shut it you jag-off" (in reference to your don't tell anybody about buying a nikon p&s.

;) ;) ;)

Anyway. I've noticed an unholy amount of camera gear stacking up in the corner of my office. Scary.

Nikon D2h
Nikon D100
Nikon N80
Nikon FM (x2)
Nikkor 20mm 2.8
Nikkor 35mm 2.0
Nikkor 50mm 1.8
Sigma 50mm 2.8 macro
Nikkor 85 mm 1.8
Sigma 105mm 2.8 macro (which i hardly ever use. shame)
Nikkor 12-24 AF-S DX G f4.0
Nikkor 17-55 AF-S DX G f2.8 (brilliant lens. pricey but worth it)
Sigma 24-70 EX DG f2.8
Sigma 70-200 EX DG f2.8 (i rarely get chanes to use this in work, but did yesterday. great results)
Nikon SB-800 x 4
Interfit Colorflash 2x300 w/s Lighting system with stands
Numerous backdrops.
Backdrop Support Stand by Interfit
Bogen Manfrotto tripod
Bogen Manfrotto monopod
Crumpler bag for most of my gear and Interfit bags for the lights and stands.

A modest pro kit. Looking to add a D2x pretty damn soon. Too much of a winner for me to pass up. Also looking to add a 20mm f2.8 in exchange for the 24, and getting a 300mm f4 AF-S Nikkor in the future.

Of course, my dream lens at the moment is a Nikkor 200mm f2.0 with Silent Focusing (AF-S) and vibration reduction (VR). On my D2h, it would give me a 300mm f2.0 with vibration reduction. On a D2x with the hi-speed crop mode, would be a 400mm f2.0 with VR. Imagine slapping a 1.4x TC on it-- You'd get 560mm at f2.8 with VR in the crop mode of the D2x.

I also bring my 12" Powerbook to most gigs with iPod Photo for easy photo transfer. It's a fun system. Though the nights I take it out, I forgo the opportunity to have passengers in my car. ;)

FYI-- I still have my Coolpix 880. My dad uses it with his CP 4100, and although the LCD is broken on the 880, the photos it makes are still stunning. Back in the day, I snapped a photo of a sandwich for a local convenience store and it was used on a billboard and looked great (from 40' away while driving, of course.)

ESPECIALLY YOU.

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! :p

I have some old photos I took with that camera that I still frame and sell today. 4.3 megapixels - at the time it was a top-dog P&S.

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
Daveway said:
How are the Nikon point-and-shoot cameras? I have a SLR Nikon for 35mm, but I rarely use it anymore because it's not digital.

They're EXCELLENT. Better than Canon in my opinion.

This is coming froma guy with 10K worth of Canon crap in his bag.

I think Nikon owns the P&S market, but again, that's my opinion...for what it's worth.

Daveway

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2004
New Orleans / Lafayette, La
iGary said:
They're EXCELLENT. Better than Canon in my opinion.

This is coming froma guy with 10K worth of Canon crap in his bag.

I think Nikon owns the P&S market, but again, that's my opinion...for what it's worth.

Thanks Gary. I've been looking for a reason to break away from the Canon A series.

calyxman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 17, 2005
Daveway said:
How are the Nikon point-and-shoot cameras? I have a SLR Nikon for 35mm, but I rarely use it anymore because it's not digital.

My 4600 does a great job. It's not highly customizable, you can't manually configure the ISO settings and so forth, but the picture quality is great. The only downside is the screen drops out for a few seconds to recharge the flash and you can't record sound.

dubbz

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2003
Alta, Norway
Moxiemike said:

:eek: Wow, that sounds very impressive..... and I have no idea what it means. :eek:

But it did peak my interest.

pinto32

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2003
PA
I got my Canon S400 about two years ago and have never regretted it. Its a great (fairly) little camera that has never failed me, and takes good enough pics that I had no problem parting with my 35mm SLR.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Guitarius said:
It's embarassing. I have a FujiFilm FinePix1300. The same one I've had for God knows how long. A wooping 1.3 megapixels and 2X zoom!

I want to get a new one, but I'm waiting for my stepfather to buy a new one, so I can get a better one. Why you ask? Because he always has to have one-up on me. It's some kind of game to him, in his mind, he's in some kind of contest with me. It's veyr weird.

Anyway, here's the camera I got.
43860721.Finepix1300_m.jpg

Convince your stepfather to get as expensive a camera as he can afford, and then buy a camera for yourself just one step down. :)

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Daveway said:
Thanks Gary. I've been looking for a reason to break away from the Canon A series.

Unlike iGary, I think I'm gonna say that the Canon A series is incredible......better than Nikon, IMO. :)

I don't take photos for a living or anything. However, I live at a Uni residence where 4 of my friends had Nikon Coolpix (actually, 3 of them had the exact same camera), and my old Canon A60 2MP camera took better photos than the Coolpix, especially when under low light.

But like I said at the beginning of this thread, I have a Canon IXUS 40/SD300. It really is a great camera. Its also extremely portable, which makes it useful. I mean, what's the purpose of a Point and Shoot camera if its too large to be convenient to carry with you?

UnclePaulie

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2004
LA, CA
Fujifilm Finepix Z1

I just got the Fujifilm Finepix Z1 and I'm very impressed with it's ultra compact size. I was stuck between this one and the Casio Exilim EX-Z750 and I went for the Fuji for the slightly better flash range and less noisy high ISO images, even though the Casio does have a better movie mode and captures at 7 MP, versus the Fuji's 5 MP.

sarae

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2004
madison, WI
Count me in with the Canon flock... I bought a s45 about three years ago, and then when that died I replaced it with the G5. I just love both cameras, and I'm going to hang onto the G5 until it dies (hopefully not for a long, long time..). I've got dancing visions of a dslr to replace it, but I guess it'll depend on the money situation at that time. :)

Guitarius

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2004
Louisiana
dubbz said:
:eek: Wow, that sounds very impressive..... and I have no idea what it means. :eek:

But it did peak my interest.
I feel like that 90% of my life. ;)

By the way, what is this emoticon? :eek: Martin Scorsese?

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Moxiemike said:

Mike I am lusting in my heart for the new f/2.0 zooms from Olympus for the E series (28-70 and 70-200 in 35mm speak). These seem to spank both Nikon's and Canon's butts.

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
I have a Kodak LS443.. selling that currently.

I'm looking at the PowerShot S2 IS because, well, that camera looks like it will do just about everything.

Linkety

kiwi-in-uk

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2004
AU
stubeeef said:
Still using a old canon s30. Got it when it first came out 3 or 4 yrs ago. Have a 256mb cf card, still takes good pics, and the wife actually knows how to use it. Would like to give it to my mom and get the new canon S2 IS.

Got a Canon S2 IS last Wednesday morning.

Spent Wed afternoon at a friend's kid's college presentation and the weekend putting together a dvd of the shots and videos. Excellent results in good light.
Spent Sat night at a band gig (another friend) & shot video and stills without flash. A dSLR could have done better stills and a camcorder could have done better video, but the results were better than I expected. Looking fwd to holiday in NZ in 2 wks.

Still have the Canon A60 and Nikon FP2000.

[Hint, if you are planning to get an S2 - grab the lens converter asap - they are like hens teeth.]

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
kiwi-in-uk said:
Got a Canon S2 IS last Wednesday morning.

Spent Wed afternoon at a friend's kid's college presentation and the weekend putting together a dvd of the shots and videos. Excellent results in good light.
Spent Sat night at a band gig (another friend) & shot video and stills without flash. A dSLR could have done better stills and a camcorder could have done better video, but the results were better than I expected. Looking fwd to holiday in NZ in 2 wks.

Still have the Canon A60 and Nikon FP2000.

[Hint, if you are planning to get an S2 - grab the lens converter asap - they are like hens teeth.]

This is great news! Just wondering-- what is the lens converter for, and why is it so crucial?

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Chip NoVaMac said:
Mike I am lusting in my heart for the new f/2.0 zooms from Olympus for the E series (28-70 and 70-200 in 35mm speak). These seem to spank both Nikon's and Canon's butts.

so you have pics on these lenses? how big are they going to be? f/2.0 on a zoom is a bit nuts....

D

kiwi-in-uk

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2004
AU
Mechcozmo said:
This is great news! Just wondering-- what is the lens converter for, and why is it so crucial?

Out of the box the Canon S2 does not have a screw thread to attach a UV filter (many people use these to protect the lens from dust and scratches- a new filter is less expensive than a new lens or camera). The S2 requires an optional lens converter attachment so you can then attach the neutral filter ... or a telephoto multiplier, or wide angle multiplier. In my case I want to attach a filter.

BTW, in case you haven't seen it, a review has been posted here . A fair bit of it you can get from the press release and by downloading the user manual from Canon, but towards the end there is a fairly good evaluation. I have the same gripes about the tripod mount and lens cap but for me those were not show stoppers.

efoto

macrumors 68030
Nov 16, 2004
Cloud 9 (-6)
5300cs said:
Funny how so many people love the D70. I had it for 2 months and sold it off, getting all my money back (luckily!)

I purchased the D70 because at the time it was released it was (far) superior to the Canon 300D and was the only DSLR on the market in my pricerange. Since then Canon has released the 20D which I believe to be a better camera, however the pricepoint is set higher which is a consideration.

Since there is no compatibility between Nikon and Canon products (for argueable purposes there is none) they are essentially just like PCs and Macs. The problem is, I have not found out which is Gates and which is Jobs. Too bad they don't fully endorse one or the other to make the choice easier :p....not that it would, but it would be funny at least.

The only real issue I have with the D70 is that its lowest ISO setting is only 200, whereas many other cameras go down to 100. I don't understand the reasoning behind this on Nikon's part, but if that would have been down to the 'standard' 100ISO I think it would be viewed as much more fully capable by the general market.

From what I hear of the photo-heads at work, they say that Canon has superior bodies and technology, but Nikon makes slightly better glass. So the question still remains, which is more important for quality pictures?

Moxiemike

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
Chip NoVaMac said:

Oh yea. Believe me, i've thought about those nice oly zooms.

I think one is a 12-50 or something for a 24-100 zoom at f2.0 is totally droolworthy.
[edit: read your above post. 28-70 (14-35) f2.0 and a 70-200 (35-100) f2.0 as well as a 14-28 (7-14) f4. I think that fast lenses like this on the 4/3rds sensor, will really help olympus to get to the "we have less noise than you do, Nikon&Canon!" world quickly.

But hell. ANYTHING that long (nikkor 200) or that zooms (the oly's) and has a constant f2.0 is a marvel of engineering.

But if you've seen the 200mm f2.0 Nikkor, and youknow about it's past life as an AI lens (manual focus) it's really disgustingly impressive:

2150_360.jpg

And with the VR and the crop modes of the D2x... man. Such a versatile, fast lens.

That's an easy $10k set up which I really think I need. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.