Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
If you want hard sci-fi nicely blended with action (kind of what AE was trying - unsuccessfully - to do), the current TC film Edge of Tomorrow is fantastic (still playing in theaters).

I will stream this when the opportunity arises. I like TC in another recent scifi flick, Oblivion. I wonder how close in theme this parallels the STNG episode where the Enterprise is stuck in a time loop and they eventually figure a way out by changing their actions? The key as I recall, is that some minor residual effect is left over from cycle to cycle, allowing Data to leave a clue for the next time around. :)

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
I will stream this when the opportunity arises. I like TC in another recent scifi flick, Oblivion. I wonder how close in theme this parallels the STNG episode where the Enterprise is stuck in a time loop and they eventually figure a way out by changing their actions? The key as I recall, is that some minor residual effect is left over from cycle to cycle, allowing Data to leave a clue for the next time around. :)

I liked Oblivion quite a bit, it wasn’t as critically acclaimed as EOT, but it had some terrific, well executed, “classic” scifi ideas, beautiful cinematography, typical solid performance by Cruise.

Have you seen Gravity? (the movie, not the invisible force ... :D )

I think in terms of classical style scifi from the last several years, Moon is probably my favorite. Highly recommended, it’s a slow burn, but if you like 2001, Silent Running, Solaris, etc., you’ll love it.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I have Oblivion and Edge of Tomorrow on the DVR, but haven't gotten around to watching them yet. I did see Gravity though. It was good, but to me, it's one of those movies I liked, but will probably only watch once.

Currently I'm watching Fire over England (1937).
Queen Elizabeth is running this show. The men in her court should be thinking about how to add to the glory of the Elizabethan Age and how to foil those pesky Spanish who got far too much influence in England when her older sister Mary was on the throne after their father Henry VIII was succeeded by their sickly half brother. Elizabeth thinks Michael Ingolby can do great things. Michael is mostly thinking about one of Elizabeth's ladies in waiting, Cynthia. Soon his mind is on survival when Elizabeth sends him on a voyage to Spain.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-07-27 at 1.25.44 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-07-27 at 1.25.44 PM.png
    123.3 KB · Views: 212

ritmomundo

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Transcendence - Better than I expected, after reading the negative reviews. The story was interesting, but somewhat predictable.

Lucy - I really liked it. It's implausible, borderline ridiculous, but it was a lot of fun to watch. Visually, it's excellent.

MV5BMTc1MjQ3ODAyOV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNjI1NDQ0MTE@._V1_SX214_AL_.jpg
MV5BODcxMzY3ODY1NF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNzg1NDY4MTE@._V1_SX214_AL_.jpg

sunapple

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
The Expendables 3: Just like the previous ones, enough said.
Need for Speed: Not really original, but overall pretty good and entertaining.

Lots of free time, a lot of other movies to watch :D

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Cat People (1942)
An American man marries a Serbian immigrant who fears that she will turn into the cat person of her homeland's fables if they are intimate together.

I missed the first 35 minutes because when I arrived home the power was out and I had this set to record on the DVR. So that's not working. But I have an AT&T mifi and the TCM app on the iPad and I'm watching the live stream that way. It's working really well too.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-07-27 at 8.43.17 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-07-27 at 8.43.17 PM.png
    136.4 KB · Views: 193

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I liked Oblivion quite a bit, it wasn’t as critically acclaimed as EOT, but it had some terrific, well executed, “classic” scifi ideas, beautiful cinematography, typical solid performance by Cruise.

Have you seen Gravity? (the movie, not the invisible force ... :D )

I think in terms of classical style scifi from the last several years, Moon is probably my favorite. Highly recommended, it’s a slow burn, but if you like 2001, Silent Running, Solaris, etc., you’ll love it.

I'll have to see if this (from 2009) is available to be streamed! :)

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
I watched "Jiro Dreams of Sushi."

Two most prominent thoughts:

1) Oh, his poor children.
2) I want that sushi.

Okay, it was pretty good beyond those two thoughts.

Attachments

• jiroposter.jpg
    jiroposter.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 61

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
Don't Torture a Duckling and A Lizard in a Woman's Skin are fantastic.

Totally agreed. + Zombi Flesh Eaters for me, totally relentless, looks absolutely beautiful and I love the score....bonus points for being 100% serious re genre hence one of the few without the prevalent black humour / social commentary layer. I also like the fact that it plays in the Carribean sea since caribal > canibal which would at least 'explain' (;)) why his zombies are that fond of human flesh. Something that is missing in almost every single zombi flic to my knowledge - other than the generic 'Oh, this was my vegan neighbor but he suddenly turned into an evil, human flesh consuming monster from next door. Please watch out.'

And who can dislike a Zombi vs Shark scene! :D

anyway, wanted to ask you something else. Spent some days in Venice lately and had to wonder why not more Giallos played there - at least none that I know of. Do you know of any by any chance? Don't necessarily have to be gialli of course. It's strange since the setting fits almost too good - it's perfect. Only one I know of, one of my absolute favs too, would be Don't look now which I would consider a giallo, and a stunning one!!, but by Nicolas Roeg.

Agreed. Moon was absolutely great. Am I guessing right that you meant Tarkovsky's Solaris? Because that is a true masterpiece (unlike the imo rather dull one with Clooney)!

Last edited:

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
Totally agreed. + Zombi Flesh Eaters for me, totally relentless, looks absolutely beautiful and I love the score....bonus points for being 100% serious re genre hence one of the few without the prevalent black humour / social commentary layer. I also like the fact that it plays in the Carribean sea since caribal > canibal which would at least 'explain' (;)) why his zombies are that fond of human flesh. Something that is missing in almost every single zombi flic to my knowledge - other than the generic 'Oh, this was my vegan neighbor but he suddenly turned into an evil, human flesh consuming monster from next door. Please watch out.'

And who can dislike a Zombi vs Shark scene! :D

anyway, wanted to ask you something else. Spent some days in Venice lately and had to wonder why not more Giallos played there - at least none that I know of. Do you know of any by any chance? Don't necessarily have to be gialli of course. It's strange since the setting fits almost too good - it's perfect. Only one I know of, one of my absolute favs too, would be Don't look now which I would consider a giallo, and a stunning one!!, but by Nicolas Roeg.

Agreed. Moon was absolutely great. Am I guessing right that you meant Tarkovsky's Solaris? Because that is a true masterpiece (unlike the imo rather dull one with Clooney)!

Zombi (zombie flesh eaters is whacked!) - and some nice theorizing by yourself on the Caribe zombies. The eye ball scene always makes me squirm.

>>

Okay, gialli set in or near Venice:

Bloodstained Shadow (my favorite of the three I'm mentioning)

Who Saw Her Die?

and

Giallo in Venice (I haven't seen)

I know the first two are now part of a three film bundle from Blue Underground here in the States (Short Night of the Glass Dolls is the 3rd film included.) And Don't Look Now is fantastic. :)

>>>

and speaking of movies, bunch of good ones on the tube yesterday:

Escape From New York (probably my single most favorite movie ever...I stop the world for this and can't wait for the proper blu ray from Shout Factory next year.)

13th Warrior, (forget the 3rd one already...) and Captain America: The First Avenger (which I like more each time I see it.)

>>>

On the upcoming movies front:

Mad Max Fury Road

I was surprised at how excellent this looks. Makes me forget about the Avengers instantly.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Going to watch Nosferatu tonight!!

If you’ve never seen Shadow of the Vampire, watch it +after+ you watch Nosferatu. It’s a modern film with John Malkovich, Willem Dafoe, some other great character actors. It’s a fictional account about the making of Nosferatu in the 20s, I won’t spoil anything, really fun, especially if/after you’ve seen Nosferatu. :cool:

----------

I'll have to see if this (from 2009) is available to be streamed! :)

Definitely track it down. The director Duncan Jones is David Bowie’s son :) Also, most [all?] of the FX shots are done with practical effects like miniature models.

vulcanvillalta

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2014
If you’ve never seen Shadow of the Vampire, watch it +after+ you watch Nosferatu. It’s a modern film with John Malkovich, Willem Dafoe, some other great character actors. It’s a fictional account about the making of Nosferatu in the 20s, I won’t spoil anything, really fun, especially if/after you’ve seen Nosferatu. :cool:

----------

Definitely track it down. The director Duncan Jones is David Bowie’s son :) Also, most [all?] of the FX shots are done with practical effects like miniature models.

Thank you for the suggestion! I will keep an eye open for it. Willem Dafoe is one of my favorites.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I am watching LOTR: The Two Towers this afternoon.

A fantastic movie and series! I have all three in the special, extended edition, volume set. It's a good twelve hours to start at the beginning and watch straight through to the end of the third! Usually I pull that off when I am home and not feeling well. I'll start it in the morning and watch all day until bedtime.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
A fantastic movie and series! I have all three in the special, extended edition, volume set. It's a good twelve hours to start at the beginning and watch straight through to the end of the third! Usually I pull that off when I am home and not feeling well. I'll start it in the morning and watch all day until bedtime.

I have all of the extended versions as well. My family tried to watch them on New Year's Eve and unfortunately, we didn't get started until 3 in the afternoon and didn't finish them all.

These movies are the only ones that I can think of that I liked better than the books. Books are almost always better than the movie in my opinion.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
These movies are the only ones that I can think of that I liked better than the books. Books are almost always better than the movie in my opinion.

I'm of the same opinion, in general. Though I've watched the movies, many times, I've never actually read the corresponding books. 
redface.gif
One of these days I'll get to them..

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.

I have all of the extended versions as well. My family tried to watch them on New Year's Eve and unfortunately, we didn't get started until 3 in the afternoon and didn't finish them all.

Actually, while I have read the entire LOTR saga - cover to cover - on a number of occasions (I read them originally on the robust recommendations of two close male friends as I was wading through my BA finals quite some years ago, and needed some light relief as I was immersed in books), three at last count, I have never actually seen - or had the opportunity of watching - the movies from start to finish.

Rather, I have seen bits of the movies, and agree that they seem to be an unusually well realised adaptation of books that are viewed as classics. I am fully prepared to accept that they might even surpass the books. Someday, I will manage to view them. I hope...

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.