Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Don Quixote

macrumors 6502a
Aug 16, 2023
1300541-f8d07d12af6570d06463c80722b583c9.jpg

Love this film. Very funny.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chuckeee

macsixtyforty

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2023
United Kingdom
No internet for 7 days.

I watched

Rock N Rolla (2008)
Dune Part 2
Infini
3 Body Problem
Point Blank (1967)
Buster (1988)
Time Warp - Vol 2 Horror & Sci Fi.
Emily the Criminal.
Jubilee (1978)
The Survivalist (2015)
Murder In the Alps.

Reactions: Queen6

iZac

macrumors 68030
Apr 28, 2003
UK
Saw this. Not one of Nic’s best.
The fact he can go from a stinker like The Retirement Plan to Dream Scenario (which I thoroughly enjoyed) in a couple of months is an achievement in itself. It makes me question my whole world view.

The funniest part of The Retirement Plan for me was how cheap it was considering it apparently had a $20 million budget. So many scenes where they cut away from what would be an expensive shot. And when the cinematographer or stunt coordinator tried a clever or tricky shot it was a mess. I laughed all the way through.

Last edited:
Reactions: Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
this has indeed been noted before.
charlize totally nails it.
great suspense.
plus astounding action scenes, if a tad unbelievable, but who cares!
With many action movie some level of suspension of disbelief is required, as in “how can this fight keep going?” :) The thing is the achievement of this movie and these coreagraphed fights is how much force seems to be projected. Theron puts her all into these fights, and they look believable, to me at least. :D

Reactions: Queen6

Snow4maen

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2021
A small island near Europe
Currently watching Dazed and Confused...Here on this strange island the UK, I grew up on American culture. With Sky TV, I had American Wresting, MTV. All the Grunge stuff. TV, Movies, etc. It's all been great fun. This was an interesting look into American high school culture, and it's such good fun. Love the soundtrack too. How does it create nostalgia in me? I never had any of these experiences, I grew up in the 80's. That alone is an achievement.

Image 1.jpg

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
Currently watching Dazed and Confused...Here on this strange island the UK, I grew up on American culture. With Sky TV, I had American Wresting, MTV. All the Grunge stuff. TV, Movies, etc. It's all been great fun. This was an interesting look into American high school culture, and it's such good fun. Love the soundtrack too. How does it create nostalgia in me? I never had any of these experiences, I grew up in the 80's. That alone is an achievement.

View attachment 2373777
I think the movie is a little stereotyped. It could have been much more IMO.

Reactions: Huntn

macsixtyforty

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2023
United Kingdom

View attachment 2373777
Sir I salute you - very good pick and yes the soundtrack is most excellent.

Reactions: Snow4maen

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
A while back, Genndy Tartakovsky (Samurai Jack) was going to put together his own Popeye movie for Sony Pictures. There is an animatic (a rough animation) available of the film he was going to do. It has all the voice work. But the project was cancelled.

For those interested in that kind of thing, its in the Internet Archive, search for Genndy Tartakovsky's Popeye Animatic.

Screenshot 2024-05-03 at 11.47.34 PM.png

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
I keep getting sucked in by Indie movies that have grossed only a few thousand at the box office. Jethica won't be everybody's cup of tea, particularly if you prefer overstimulating mainstream blockbusters, but I thought it was interesting. It puts a refreshingly twist on the usual slasher/stalker horror crap (the movie is neither scary nor gory - it is meant to be a subtle dark comedy).

iu

Jumpthesnark

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2022
California
I liked it, but it seemed at times like a documentary about the inner workings of the Japanese government.

View attachment 2374355

Yeah, lots of Godzilla movies, like zombie movies, are metaphors for other issues (like the George Romero "Living Dead" movies which are about racism, consumerism, social change, etc.). Shin Godzilla mocked the Japanese government's bureaucratic ineffectuality in the wake of the 2011 earthquake and tsunami. Hence the scenes where Godzilla is destroying Tokyo, and government employees are setting up meeting rooms and plugging in fax machines.

I hope you got a chance to watch Godzilla Minus One, it was outstanding.

Jumpthesnark

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2022
California
Just watched Disappear Completely on Netflix. A chilling, tense film about a tabloid crime photographer in Mexico City (it has English subtitles) who takes a photo that results in horrible consequences for him. Make sure you watch the last third with either headphones or a great sound system.

Reactions: mtbdudex

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
Yeah, lots of Godzilla movies, like zombie movies, are metaphors for other issues (like the George Romero "Living Dead" movies which are about racism, consumerism, social change, etc.). Shin Godzilla mocked the Japanese government's bureaucratic ineffectuality in the wake of the 2011 earthquake and tsunami. Hence the scenes where Godzilla is destroying Tokyo, and government employees are setting up meeting rooms and plugging in fax machines.

I hope you got a chance to watch Godzilla Minus One, it was outstanding.

I want to see it, but I'll have to wait for streaming, which apparently is going to take forever.

Reactions: Jumpthesnark

C0ncreteBl0nde

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2023
Rural America
"The Fast and Furious" for, believe it or not, my FIRST time. I didn't catch the very beginning, but I think it was the first one. Didn't think it would be my cup of tea, but I enjoyed it.

The 1977 movie "Kingdom of the Spiders." A B-grade horror flick starring William Shatner. A rural town in Arizona lies in the path of a horde of tarantulas gone bad. I think this speaks for itself.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Spoiler!

The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds & Snakes
(2024)- It’s a well made, but sad, back story of President Snow with some valuable insight that can be argued reflects on his later relationship with the MockingJay. However, in the realm of the Hungar Games trilogy it’s optional unless you want to see how he broke bad, which might surprise you a little, or not. ;)

IMG_3213.jpeg

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
Well my 3 adult children wanted to celebrate “May the Fourth” yesterday, so they picked SW the clone wars .. and tonight is .. Revenge of the Sith ..

Btw, at one time it was going to be called “The return of Darth Vader”, see below
d019f893761945bb4d79f305881927b6.jpg

Reactions: VulchR and Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Over the last several days, watched the 4 movies of The Hunger Games Trilogy (2012-2015)- An excellent story and screen adaptation. The first is the best, the last is the least best, except for the resolution of the conflict. I loved the reaction of President Snow to The Mockingjay’s surprise move at the climax. Jennifer Lawrence is such a good actress who makes acting look easy.

IMG_3214.jpeg

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.