Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Watching Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home.

Also noticed they used a Macintosh Plus as well. Had it had Siri, Scotty could have actually spoken to it rather than use the quaint keyboard.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Watching "The Hunger Games".

A somewhat visually engaging piece of junk. The visuals are, I assume, to distract you from the fact that there is nothing else of any real interest. Pardon all the clichés, but it's a mile wide and an inch deep...all hat, no cattle... all sizzle, no steak...well, you get the idea.

If you have enough money to throw into art direction, set design, and CGI, you can make something that grabs the eye. Then you need a few other little things...like a script, acting, direction...well, you get the idea.

Aside from Stanley Tucci, whom I will watch in anything as I find him to be a wonderful and versatile actor, the rest were kiddie movie actors. There is no character development, so I didn't really care much about what happened to any of them, including the heroes. The plot is nothing special. Since scifi movies give the makers the opportunity to make commentary on the current state of society or humanity in the futuristic setting, this missed that
opportunity...aside from the obvious and blatant comment on class in society.

If it makes any difference, I am told there were books upon which this was based and I haven't read the books.

For those who thought "Avatar" was high cinematic art... this will be a treat. If you are looking for something with some substance under the flashy surface, don't waste your time.

Remember, just one man's opinion...:D ;)

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Watching "The Hunger Games".

The visuals are, I assume, to distract you from the fact that there is nothing else of any real interest.

The movie "The Hunger Games" does an excellent job of following the book with only minor changes. If you didn't like the movie, you will most likely dislike the book. Likewise, people who enjoyed the book, will most likely enjoy the movie.

Note - The movie is about kids so I would expect young actors :D.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
The movie "The Hunger Games" does an excellent job of following the book with only minor changes. If you didn't like the movie, you will most likely dislike the book. Likewise, people who enjoyed the book, will most likely enjoy the movie.

Note - The movie is about kids so I would expect young actors :D.

When I said "kiddie movie actors" I was referring to the quality and skill of their performance, not their age...:p:D

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
When I said "kiddie movie actors" I was referring to the quality and skill of their performance, not their age...:p:D

For 99.9% of child actors, there is a direct correlation between the skill of their performance and their age/experience :p. I think you were expecting too much from a large group of child actors.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Last night, I watched 'The Iron Lady' with the excellent Meryl Streep playing the role of Mrs Thatcher. Needless to say, Meryl Streep was superb, the production values were very good, supporting cast very good, but the movie itself could have been a bit better at dealing with political issues.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
It shows in UK next week but I couldn't wait, there are some really funny Dark moments in it.

I really like some of Tarantino's work, (and love his soundtracks) - and also (a guilty pleasure, this) must confess that I love the baroque elegance, terrific music, stunning cinematography and stylised violence of the classic, most sardonic, spaghetti westerns and this movie has received excellent reviews from people I respect. Must admit I'm looking forward to seeing it when it appears.

spoon man

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2007
I really like some of Tarantino's work, (and love his soundtracks) - and also (a guilty pleasure, this) must confess that I love the baroque elegance, terrific music, stunning cinematography and stylised violence of the classic, most sardonic, spaghetti westerns and this movie has received excellent reviews from people I respect. Must admit I'm looking forward to seeing it when it appears.

Yeah the blood spatter effects are killer ott but in a good way.

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
Finally watched the Hobbit (even in 3d). Was really surprised of how good it was partly. But still lots of tedious, lenghty scenes (quite unknown from the book). Really liked the fact that they were singing at times, didn't happen in TLotR if I remember correctly. That said, had to watch it in German so that was plain hilarious :)

Oh, and Shrink, thanks for your recommendation: Sexy Beast was really worth it.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
For 99.9% of child actors, there is a direct correlation between the skill of their performance and their age/experience :p. I think you were expecting too much from a large group of child actors.

So what you are suggesting is that the viewer accept that a film with young actors will, perforce, likely be a film with inferior acting.

While I certainly agree that experience can, in some cases, improve acting skills, I'm not willing to lower the standards of evaluation because there is a young cast.

If they can't act yet, then, for me, they are not worth watching. Let them get experience in acting class, or some other practice environment until they can act well.

Once again, I agree that many young actors need seasoning. Then there are the exceptions (e.g. Dakota Fanning) who are, IMO, terrific right out of the gate, and worth watching. But I would disagree that I ought to accept bad acting because the actors are young.

BTW: I think your points are well made...I just don't agree...:D

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
Glad you enjoyed it.:D

The scene where Ben Kingsley stands outside the door of Ray Winstone's home and maniacally keeps repeating "No!" just knocked me out!:eek:

Oh yes! And literally all the other scenes he was in, too! :D Have to watch his Gandhi some time back to back with Sexy Beast.

Next stop: The General :D

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
This weekend I watched the 2011 remake of the "The Thing". It's your basic monster movie. I thought it was fun, but I'm pretty easy to please. :)

How would you compare them to the two that came before?

When I was a kid I watched the original with a blanket over my head. ;) It was a great scifi horror movie for its time. My favorite is the 1982 Kurt Russell movie, mostly due to the tension of "who can we trust" in combination with good special effects, and cinematography.

I thought this prequel was watchable, the move from mechanical to CGI was noticeable, in some ways good, and some bad. A little bit of a disconnect between these two versions regarding the state of the space ship. In the '82 version, they (Nords) sent off thermal charges to melt the snow around the ship, exposing it to the surface, while in this version it was still buried and I don't recall them every setting off thermal charges. Not a big deal though.

Last edited:

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
When I was a kid I watched the original with a blanket over my head. ;) It was a great scifi horror movie for it's time. My favorite is the 1982 Kurt Russell movie, mostly due to the tension of "who can we trust" in combination with good special effects, and cinematography.

Can't say anything about the others, but the Carpenter/Russell one was really good. Always wonder about what the name was of the X-Files episode/homage to it....after seeing The Thing I immediately got Carpenter's The Fog. Can't recommend that one though. :D

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Can't say anything about the others, but the Carpenter/Russell one was really good. Always wonder about what the name was of the X-Files episode/homage to it....after seeing The Thing I immediately got Carpenter's The Fog. Can't recommend that one though. :D

I liked the 1980 The Fog, but it's been a while since I've seen it. I definitely did not like the 2005 remake.

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
Finally rented the new Dredd movie from iTunes. All I can say is that is a future BluRay purchase. This movie was bad ass.

I'm very interested in this one too. Haven't seen the Sly 'mindless violence' original, but will get this Urban 'mindless violence' remake for sure.

I liked the 1980 The Fog, but it's been a while since I've seen it. I definitely did not like the 2005 remake.

There was a remake? :eek: I was referring to the 80s version then. I found it quite hard to stay awake tbh (and think it was even splitted into two episodes...tzzzz...).
Re The Thing, read a funny comment mentioning that it was one of the first (mainstream) movies of that era where 'the black guy' wasn't supposed to die right at the beginning.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.