Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

frnak

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 21, 2007
Screeny-1.png

This is Mission Control when 4 applications are opened

Now, I don't know how Apple went through their design process to reach this. But I'll just point out some of the major problems with this design.

1. Desktop Spaces are obstructed by Apps
2. Apps overlay each other
3. App icons are not prominent
4. App names are too blended into their background
5. Absolutely no idea why the desktop shrinks, it does not give me a sense of "taking a step back to look at everything"

Simple solutions to consider to resolve these design problems
1. Dim the background (just like Snow Leopard)
2. Do not let apps overlay each other
3. App icons should be smaller
4. Scrap the shrinking desktop
5. Make space switching animations faster (just a little annoyance)

When I look at the current mission control, I can definitely see what their vision is. But the way it is implemented has many flaws, as pointed out.

This thread is just about pointing out what I think is bad design issues with Mission Control. What do you guys think? And what are your thoughts on working with Mission Control.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
That's a bug. The windows aren't supposed to overlap. I have 4 open and none of them touch.

screenshot20110914at508.png

Other than that, I agree with your points. MC is not well thought out.

Last edited:

frnak

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 21, 2007
Try opening 4 windows that take over the entire screen. It should overlap everything.

----------

It's especially worst if you open 2 apps. You can barely see the icons or the desktops.

Screeny.png

Last edited by a moderator:

wikus

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2011
Planet earth.
You missed the most important point, one idiotic decision from Apple that overrides everything;

WHY are application windows GROUPED? Does apple not realize people multitask within a single application? For example...... PHOTOSHOP!?

Now, I know some people for some reason will prefer it being grouped... by an on/off switch to group or ungroup wouldn't kill apple.

Secondly, why the hell does mission control show the friggin' ugly grey border at all, and while doing so, still show the SINGLE space thats used? Spaces in mission control should have an on/off switch as well. The reason *I* don't use spaces is because Expose in Snow Leopard worked well enough to not have to use spaces.

Mission control is such a horrible clusterf**k from Apple, it is the MAIN reason why I'm not switching over. Nevermind the fact that its; slower, causing heat issues on my MBP, still contains the TRIM bug for 3rd party SSDs (that is a bug to me, i know its a missing feature, but its pretty much a standard these days, NO excuse for a new OS not to support it).

This is easily the absolute WORST release/update Apple has done since.... ever.

bigpoppamac31

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2007
Canada
The overlap for me only happens if I have only two apps running. Then both app windows overlap each other. But anything more then two apps open and it works okay. No windows overlap unless you have multiple windows open from the same app like Safari and those will group together.

sinser

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2003
Hmmm...I'm not able to get any overlap. Maybe I'm alone in this, but I actually like Mission Control a lot.

Aldaris

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2004
Salt Lake
What kind of desktop 'modifiers' a you using? I wonder if the is a compatibility issue that is causing the 'glitches' you are experiencing.

I agree that they need to polish the graphics/transitions when you get into mission control.

I agree with sinser, I too like the way it's set up, just needs a little more detail polish.

Jeordeon

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2011
Florida
Actually, I think I figured out this bug. It only happens to me when windows are perfectly centered. Try nudging three of them a pixel or two, then activate MC. I may be wrong, but it worked for me (I had BetterSnapTool so I could right click on the maximize button to center a window, and when all of my windows were centered they overlapped in Mission Control, that's how I figured this out). Hope it helps :eek: Also, I disagree with the desktop thingy. I like that it resizes; really gives me the sense of zooming out and looking at all of my stuff in an organized manner. Perhaps it should be a preference...Apple doesn't seem to have many of those =P :apple:

frnak

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 21, 2007
I agree with wikus about showing the desktop border. It absolutely seems unnecessary to step back to see the desktop at all.

The grouping does seem off as well, and I don't like it one bit. I think Apple's reasoning behind it is due to the amount of screen estate. Since every space is shown at the top, applications need to be grouped or the individual window will be too small to be displayed.
They're just sacrificing usability to conform to another feature. It's especially bad for the user when he/she has multiple finder windows open or documents. It is nearly IMPOSSIBLE to distinguish without fanning them open.

bigpoppamac31

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2007
Canada
That's a bug. The windows aren't supposed to overlap. I have 4 open and none of them touch.

Yeah but you have only one window open for each app. If you have multiple windows open for any one app then the windows for that particular app overlap. Expose never did that from what I remember. You somewhat have the option with the ''hot corners". If one of your corners is "application windows" it will show all windows for that one app. But that can't be done within Mission Control. It groups the windows. I kind of creates an extra step. You can't do both within one option.

hakuryuu

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2007
Lomita, CA
WHY are application windows GROUPED? Does apple not realize people multitask within a single application? For example...... PHOTOSHOP!?

Exposé

Exposé now groups windows of the same application. Hover over a group and swipe; the group expands to show all the app’s windows. Click to bring the window you want forward.

jameslmoser

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
Mission Control was NOT well thought out. Spaces and Expose were amazing. There isn't even anything like it Mission Control on the iPad, so its not like they were trying to get iPad users to use it either.

My neighbor upgraded to Lion and he wanted me to help him "fix" his computer. The problem was he kept triggering Mission control and the windows were flying all over. He wanted me to shut it off. I told him I couldn't. He has a lot of issues with Lion and I told him I would help him go back to Snow Leopard. He hasn't had a problem yet, and keeps thanking me for getting rid of Lion.

Regular users don't want virtual desktops, and they ruined it for the power users that do.

Last edited:

oiuh151

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2011
You missed the most important point, one idiotic decision from Apple that overrides everything;

Now, I know some people for some reason will prefer it being grouped... by an on/off switch to group or ungroup wouldn't kill apple.

Sigh... uninformed people acting like they are posting factual information...

System Preferences > Trackpad > More Gestures > App Exposé

Goldfinger

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2006
Belgium
Sigh... uninformed people acting like they are posting factual information...

System Preferences > Trackpad > More Gestures > App Exposé

Firstly, not everybody has a machine with a trackpad. Secondly you used to be able to do an ALL window Exposé. Which was extremely usefull when multitasking. MC killed that. I really wonder why they did that.
Now you have to switch apps and then do an App Exposé. It's annoying and a waste of time.
I used to use Exposé all the time in Snow Leopard and before but I find myself rarely using Mission Control in Lion because it actually slows me down instead of speeding things up like Exposé did.

oiuh151

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2011
Firstly, not everybody has a machine with a trackpad. Secondly you used to be able to do an ALL window Exposé. Which was extremely usefull when multitasking. MC killed that. I really wonder why they did that.
Now you have to switch apps and then do an App Exposé. It's annoying and a waste of time.
I used to use Exposé all the time in Snow Leopard and before but I find myself rarely using Mission Control in Lion because it actually slows me down instead of speeding things up like Exposé did.

Firstly, you can assign App Exposé to any key or any button that you want. (System Preferences > Mission Control > Application windows) Secondly, the reason why they did this was because prior they were not organized. Don't speak for everyone. I find this new method to be much better. You see your windows grouped for each app at a glance and then you can zoom in on the stack if you want or should the stack of windows be larger then you dig down deeper into App Exposé. It's much more organized in my opinion than simply having a grid of random windows. The visual cues are much easier to associate with in Mission Control as to what app and what window you are looking for.

laudern

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Anyone trying to justify MC is in denial. Sure its "new" and might look a little more prettier than expose. But seriously, expose did what needed to be done. And it did is well. And I could have been just glancing over the previous post to mine, but was this fella seriously justifying expose in lion as a good app. It's broken, doesn't work and doesn't even do what its name claims to do. And the widget screen is **** as well. I liked being able to see your background so if you were copying something onto the calculator or yellow sticky pads it was easy to do. Not this grey circle background ****

oiuh151

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Anyone trying to justify MC is in denial. Sure its "new" and might look a little more prettier than expose. But seriously, expose did what needed to be done. And it did is well. And I could have been just glancing over the previous post to mine, but was this fella seriously justifying expose in lion as a good app. It's broken, doesn't work and doesn't even do what its name claims to do. And the widget screen is **** as well. I liked being able to see your background so if you were copying something onto the calculator or yellow sticky pads it was easy to do. Not this grey circle background ****

I'm in denial because I think Misson Control is better than All Window Exposé in Snow Leopard? LOL :rolleyes:

Mission Control does what's needed to be done and does it better because of reasons I already explained in my previous post.

Yet another person complaining about something that you can change in System Preferences. God, do you people even research this **** before you complain about it?
System Preferences > Mission Control > Un-check Show Dashboard as a space

Skoal

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2009

Yes, definitely a bug. Mine look nothing like the starter of this thread.

Goldfinger

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2006
Belgium
Firstly, you can assign App Exposé to any key or any button that you want. (System Preferences > Mission Control > Application windows) Secondly, the reason why they did this was because prior they were not organized. Don't speak for everyone. I find this new method to be much better. You see your windows grouped for each app at a glance and then you can zoom in on the stack if you want or should the stack of windows be larger then you dig down deeper into App Exposé. It's much more organized in my opinion than simply having a grid of random windows. The visual cues are much easier to associate with in Mission Control as to what app and what window you are looking for.

I know how to assign buttons and swipes etc. (I even have a mousebutton dedicated to it on my Logitech MX!) But that still doesn't change the fact that you need to do TWO actions now where you could before accomplish the same in ONE action.

And I'm not speaking for everyone... If you like the new way then good for you. In my eyes (and the it's the same for a lot of other people) this new way of doing things is backwards and slows you down.

oiuh151

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2011
I know how to assign buttons and swipes etc. (I even have a mousebutton dedicated to it on my Logitech MX!) But that still doesn't change the fact that you need to do TWO actions now where you could before accomplish the same in ONE action.
If you knew that then why the hell did you say "Firstly, not everybody has a machine with a trackpad."? Clearly if you knew that you can assign it to anything you want then you wouldn't have said this. :rolleyes: There was App Exposé in Snow Leopard too for a reason.

Dealing with a random grid of windows with no visual cue as to what belongs to what app is not a superior way of doing things no matter how you try trick yourself into believing that it is.

And I'm not speaking for everyone... If you like the new way then good for you. In my eyes (and the it's the same for a lot of other people) this new way of doing things is backwards and slows you down.
When something is changed people don't like it simply because they changed it so therefore they have to learn a new way of using it so therefore they are slower with it. Yet in the end said change is beneficial because it eventually increases your productivity as you get used to it. Welcome to technology.

Last edited:

gentlefury

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
I think you're wrong

Screen%252520Shot%2525202011-09-19%252520at%25252010.16.01%252520AM.png

There is several windows open and several are expanded to full screen. You are obviously running some third party extensions that are making it do that.

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Mar 13, 2007
NH
Just to chime in....this is definitely a weird bug in Lion.

I attached a screenshot of this happening for me (attachment #1)

In a Desktop...I have iTunes going from the leftmost to rightmost area of the screen. I then have Console doing the same. I have NO other windows open in that space.

The overlap happens.

If however, I open a Finder window that does NOT take of the full width of the screen.....Mission Control is fine (even with the other two windows still being full width)....attachment #2.

All I have to do with the original two windows to not have them overlap....is bring in the edge ever so slightly so it doesn't touch both the left and right side of the screen.

Bug in Lion.

-Kevin

Attachments

• overlap.jpg
    overlap.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 82
  • overlap2.jpg
    overlap2.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 75
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.