Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ritmomundo

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Season 3 of Sherlock was fantastic. I thought the first episode dragged a bit, but the second and third (especially the third) were great. But these seasons are way too short. I just hope now it's not another two years til season 4.

----------

We've started watching the Blacklist here in the last week or two and have caught up to episode 10. Its a solid entry in the crime thriller genre and gets better and better as the season progresses.

Any other takes on The Blacklist or House of Cards?
I like The Blacklist too. It's more of the typical procedural crime drama, but there's something different and interesting about the way it's done, I'm not sure what. But it's good so far.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Season 3 of Sherlock was fantastic. I thought the first episode dragged a bit, but the second and third (especially the third) were great. But these seasons are way too short. I just hope now it's not another two years til season 4.

Funny you should mention that. I have a backlog of Season 2 Sherlock episodes to watch. Is it important that I finish them before watching Season 3? From what I've seen so far, they mostly seem like stand alone stories, other than what I imagine to be the continued conflict with Moriarty.

Also watched True Detective on HBO with Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson. I believe this is a one season story. Some intrigue, both are strong actors, but it seemed to drag to me. Any opinions?

true-detective-premiere-hbo-matthew-mcconaughey-woody-harrelson.jpg

ritmomundo

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Funny you should mention that. I have a backlog of Season 2 Sherlock episodes to watch. Is it important that I finish them before watching Season 3? From what I've seen so far, they mostly seem like stand alone stories, other than what I imagine to be the continued conflict with Moriarty.

I'd say yes, you should watch season 2, or at least the finale. The first episode of season 3 is a direct continuation of the season 2 finale. I felt that season 3 was mostly a complete single story arc, rather than 3 standalone stories like in previous seasons.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I'd say yes, you should watch season 2, or at least the finale. The first episode of season 3 is a direct continuation of the season 2 finale. I felt that season 3 was mostly a complete single story arc, rather than 3 standalone stories like in previous seasons.

Thanks for the advice! :)

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Just watched the Sherlock Holmes Season 2 Final, wow that was probably the best single episode of this series. Moriarty! The actor who plays him has redeemed himself. :)

ritmomundo

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Just watched the Sherlock Holmes Season 2 Final, wow that was probably the best single episode of this series. Moriarty! The actor who plays him has redeemed himself. :)

The season 2 finale was by far the best episode of the series so far. The season 3 finale comes close though.

Did anyone watch The Assets? It was supposed to be a "based-on-a-true-story" 8-episode-miniseries on ABC about finding a mole within the CIA. However, due to apparently the lowest ABC ratings ever, it was cancelled last week after the second episode (yeah, a miniseries was cancelled! Does that even happen?). The main actress (Jodie Whittaker) did a pretty poor acting job, IMO (maybe because she's British, trying to pull off an American accent), but I did find the story and the realistic spy craft interesting. But there isn't much mystery, as you know who the mole is from the first five minutes of the show. Its a shame it was cancelled so quickly. I would have liked to watch the rest of it, just to see how the story unraveled.

ritmomundo

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
We also watched the first 2 episodes of The Spoils of Babylon on IFC. Reviews said it was "hilarious," but it is AWFUL. With so many biggish names (Tobey Maguire, Kristen Wiig, Jessica Alba, Val Kilmer, Will Ferrell as narrator -ugh), and made by FunnyOrDie, I really thought it would be better. I get that it's supposed to be bad acting, and this should make it funnier, but it's practically unwatchable.

millerj123

macrumors 68030
Mar 6, 2008
I watched the first 3 episodes of "Archer". I can't watch in front of my kids, or my wife. It's wrong on so many levels, I loved it.

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I watched the first 3 episodes of "Archer". I can't watch in front of my kids, or my wife. It's wrong on so many levels, I loved it.

It is totally a show where you are constantly thinking, "oh my goodness, I can't believe they went there!" all while laughing hysterically at the same time. My wife absolutely loves Archer. It's definitely one of our "guilty pleasure" TV shows. :D

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....

Well the Dracula finale was worth it for Van Helsing. He's the best thing about that show and his revenge was suitably whacked.

I wonder how it will continue to be different if they get picked up for a season two.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010

Caught up on The Following and am watching season 2.

The Followers are ridiculous and the young actors overacting makes this so unreal and non-scary. The same cannot be said for James Purefoy who is killing it (in more ways than one) as former Literature Professor gone serial killer/cult leader. He's scary as he should be.

I watch for him and Kevin Bacon and just roll with the rest. My coworker was hilarious when I mentioned I was watching now: she punched me in the arm. Criminology majors, I love you. :D

Jnesbitt82

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2013
Ohio
I just bought season 3 of American Horror Story:Coven on iTunes. The intro scares the hell out of my wife. :D

millerj123

macrumors 68030
Mar 6, 2008
I'm re-watching Nickelodeon's "Avatar: the Last Airbender" start to finish. It beats local news for long, lonely hours on a treadmill.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Any Farscape fans? 88 episodes on Netscape when a season consisted of 20 some episodes, not like the current 13 or so. It was recommended to me, watched the pilot and it was ok, although the lead seems a bit dull. I'll probably watch another. IYO, does it get better or worse?

fs-header.jpg

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I just bought season 3 of American Horror Story:Coven on iTunes. The intro scares the hell out of my wife. :D

My wife thinks all of the AHS intros are the "creepiest thing ever!" Season 3 was definitely super creepy, the song and images seem to fit perfectly.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any Farscape fans? 88 episodes on Netscape when a season consisted of 20 some episodes, not like the current 13 or so. It was recommended to me, watched the pilot and it was ok, although the lead seems a bit dull. I'll probably watch another. IYO, does it get better or worse?

The lead is typical yeah, but the support characters were interesting.

I haven't seen much, but I liked what I saw.

bwhinnen

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2010
McKinney

I own the entire series and TV movie on DVD and have watched it a couple of times. It does start a little slow, gets better, gets worse, gets better :)

Like most long running SCI-FI shows it has its ups and downs depending on the writers and how they wanted the story line to progress. I found it seems to pick up about 3 - 4 episodes in when you finally become acquainted with most of the characters and they actually start to expand a bit, but this is my personal opinion so YMMV.

I've just started watching Brooklyn Nine-Nine, a simple comedy that I can have on and not have to think too much.

Also watching NHL Revealed, I love hockey and this little behind the scenes look is interesting for me. Although I think Liev Schreiber (who did the HBO 24/7 series) works better as a narrator than the one for NHL Revealed.

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
The lead is typical yeah, but the support characters were interesting.

I haven't seen much, but I liked what I saw.

I own the entire series and TV movie on DVD and have watched it a couple of times. It does start a little slow, gets better, gets worse, gets better :)

Like most long running SCI-FI shows it has its ups and downs depending on the writers and how they wanted the story line to progress. I found it seems to pick up about 3 - 4 episodes in when you finally become acquainted with most of the characters and they actually start to expand a bit, but this is my personal opinion so YMMV.

I've just started watching Brooklyn Nine-Nine, a simple comedy that I can have on and not have to think too much.

Also watching NHL Revealed, I love hockey and this little behind the scenes look is interesting for me. Although I think Liev Schreiber (who did the HBO 24/7 series) works better as a narrator than the one for NHL Revealed.

Thanks guys! I'll watch a couple more... :)

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010

After the inane soap opera silliness of last Wednesday's Arrow, I've given up.

Still with the Following.

I have to catch up on the Americans before it starts again later this month.

And looking forward to the return of Vikings. I wound up loving that show after I gave it a chance.

The news of Maggie Q doing a limited series (Red Flag) about China's most notorious female pirate sounds great too.

LadyX

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2012
What's on T.V.?

After the inane soap opera silliness of last Wednesday's Arrow, I've given up.

I watched up until the third episode of the first season and I stopped. I don't know why everyone likes this show. I just couldn't get into it. And isn't this show supposed to be based on a comic book superhero? Why did they make it a soap opera? It just doesn't make sense.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I've signed off on True Detective... Did not appeal to me.

Downton Abbey: Mr Bates to Mrs Hughes: "Nothing is over, nothing is done with."

'True Detective' has received excellent reviews; is it worth taking a look at, whenever it appears on The Other Side Of The Pond?

Re Downton Abbey, yes, I'll admit it is a high class soap, with superb production values, and no small soupçon of luscious history, filtered through lenses with a somewhat rosy hue, but, but, but, everyone is allowed a few lapses, and Downton Abbey is one of mine.

How are you enjoying this season so far?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.