Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

=w=

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2012
Yeah I watched it when it was on TV and I also own all nine seasons on DVD. There are some oddball episodes throughout the series, but I really enjoyed the continuing saga of the government coverups and aliens that was the mainstay of the show.

I've been thinking about watching The X Files, but Aliens freak me out.

Is it one of those shows where they show creepy aliens at the foot of your bed or is it more like they say these alieny things happen then they show humans?

Yes, i'm totally serious.

I've just started watching the third season of The Killing. I watched the first two seasons a few months ago and wasn't aware that there was a third, until a friend of mine started complaining that she doesn't like the third season. I'm about 3 episodes in and it seems like more of the same. Interesting enough.

Reminds me a lot of Top of the Lake, which I watched on a plane to and from Mexico and a little while I was there.. so my impression of that show may not be terribly reliable, but i'm confident I got the point.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Yeah I watched it when it was on TV and I also own all nine seasons on DVD. There are some oddball episodes throughout the series, but I really enjoyed the continuing saga of the government coverups and aliens that was the mainstay of the show.

Maybe I should check this out on Netflix.

Aliens in general or THE movie? I thought Aliens the movie was one of the best kick ass thrill rides I've enjoyed in a theater. :)

Is it one of those shows where they show creepy aliens at the foot of your bed or is it more like they say these alieny things happen then they show humans?

In the total spectrum of "aliens" I would say that X-Files is on the tame side. There are moments that might jolt you, though. :)

I've just started watching the third season of The Killing. I watched the first two seasons a few months ago and wasn't aware that there was a third, until a friend of mine started complaining that she doesn't like the third season. I'm about 3 episodes in and it seems like more of the same. Interesting enough.

Reminds me a lot of Top of the Lake, which I watched on a plane to and from Mexico and a little while I was there.. so my impression of that show may not be terribly reliable, but i'm confident I got the point.

It's a continuation of the same formula. I thought the first season was great, was shocked that it kept going into the second season, which was still good, and the 3rd season although there is a different situation, the formula felt kind of repetitive.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit

Yeah sometimes they show creepy/graphic stuff, but remember it was a TV series in the 1990's, so it wasn't as bad as it could have been if it were a movie or HBO/Showtime series.

There are little gray men and other strange creatures throughout the show too. :cool:

=w=

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2012
Maybe I should check this out on Netflix.

Aliens in general or THE movie? I thought Aliens the movie was one of the best kick ass thrill rides I've enjoyed in a theater. :)

In the total spectrum of "aliens" I would say that X-Files is on the tame side. There are moments that might jolt you, though. :)

It's a continuation of the same formula. I thought the first season was great, was shocked that it kept going into the second season, which was still good, and the 3rd season although there is a different situation, was kind of felt repetitive.

Aliens in general freak me out. I think I watched too much Unsolved Mysteries as a child. I'm not an easily scared/freaked out person, but I can watch an alien movie and I end up having to keep the light on when i'm going to sleep. But it has to show aliens. Otherwise, whatevs, it like, so totally doesn't even scare me :cool:

Yeah, I just explained this about The Killing to my friend last night. She was talking about how she doesn't like it and she liked the first two season. And I was just like.. um.. it's the same show, just with a different story. The premise is the same. They have the killer, they don't have the killer, they have the killer, they don't have the killer, they have the killer but don't know they have the killer, etc

Yeah sometimes they show creepy/graphic stuff, but remember it was a TV series in the 1990's, so it wasn't as bad as it could have been if it were a movie or HBO/Showtime series.

There are little gray men and other strange creatures throughout the show too. :cool:

Hm.. i'm not sure if I can handle that. Maybe i'll try an episode or two this afternoon, so I hopefully forget about it by bed time.

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
Ohh, the X-Files...loved it back then. It's more the suspicion/conspiracy type of series. I wouldn't compare it at all with something like aliens. The 'trapped on the ice-station' episode must have been my all time favorite. Show got stale and overtly complicated later on imho. Would like to watch some again actually. Good call!

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Aliens in general freak me out. I think I watched too much Unsolved Mysteries as a child. I'm not an easily scared/freaked out person, but I can watch an alien movie and I end up having to keep the light on when i'm going to sleep. But it has to show aliens. Otherwise, whatevs, it like, so totally doesn't even scare me :cool:

Yeah, I just explained this about The Killing to my friend last night. She was talking about how she doesn't like it and she liked the first two season. And I was just like.. um.. it's the same show, just with a different story. The premise is the same. They have the killer, they don't have the killer, they have the killer, they don't have the killer, they have the killer but don't know they have the killer, etc

Exactly. I've reached a point when anyone looks guilty I dismiss them as the killer. Of course, it gets harder at the end. :p

Hm.. i'm not sure if I can handle that. Maybe i'll try an episode or two this afternoon, so I hopefully forget about it by bed time.

You should give it a try. I don't think many people get abducted. ;)

Despite these not being tv shows...
When I was a kid (1950-60s timeframe) several movies scared the bejesus out of me: The Thing From Outer Space, Caltiki the Immortal Monster ( I watched that with a coat over my head), The Crawling Eye, and Invaders From Mars, where a flying saucer lands and buries itself in the ground and people were being taken over, controlled by Martians, one little boy sees what's happening and tries to save them, but honestly I don't remember if he was successful or it it ended on one of those hopeless notes. But those are all extremely tame as compared to what is shown today, lol. The original Body Snatchers was pretty good too. :)

1267122922_1.jpg

Last edited:

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
I loved portions of the X-Files

Ohh, the X-Files...loved it back then. It's more the suspicion/conspiracy type of series. I wouldn't compare it at all with something like aliens. The 'trapped on the ice-station' episode must have been my all time favorite. Show got stale and overtly complicated later on imho. Would like to watch some again actually. Good call!

I got hooked after their nod to the Thing (Ice...) and then came Kyrcek and MIND BLOWN. Watched weekly until about mid way through season 6 when I threw in the towel. I still rewatch a few episodes yearly.

Regarding the aliens, the black oil creeped me out but the Syndicate were far more scary. :D

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit

The ice station episode was a really good one. But my favorite episode was All Things, which also happens to be the only episode that Gillian Anderson directed throughout the entire series. It is also the episode which brought the music artist Moby into my life as in the second scene, after the opening credits, it starts with Mulder working at a projector and the song The Sky Is Broken is playing and Scully walks in and turns it off so she can say what she has to say.

I got hooked after their nod to the Thing (Ice...) and then came Kyrcek and MIND BLOWN. Watched weekly until about mid way through season 6 when I threw in the towel. I still rewatch a few episodes yearly.

Regarding the aliens, the black oil creeped me out but the Syndicate were far more scary. :D

The black oil is also one of the underlining parts of the story about government coverup and aliens and played a great role in it.

ritmomundo

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Started to see The Americans from FX. Very exceptional series by far and spine tingling.
Watched last Wed's episode tonight. Most excellent. :D
The only episode I've seen is the pilot when it first aired, and I thought it was boring at the time. Maybe I should revisit it...

----------

At tonight's Oscars, they were advertising the premier of a show that comes on next Sunday called "Resurrection" where 3 people (maybe more) who were dead, then appear some time, years later. It looks interesting. Here is the official scoop.

There's also a show by Alfonso Cuarón coming out next week called Believe on NBC. The trailer didn't amaze me, but I'll probably watch the first couple episodes. Its about a little girl with powers, and an escaped prisoner who has to protect her from evil.

albertfallickwa

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2014
The only episode I've seen is the pilot when it first aired, and I thought it was boring at the time. Maybe I should revisit it...

You should... It seems to be so worth it.

----------

There's also a show by Alfonso Cuarón coming out next week called Believe on NBC. The trailer didn't amaze me, but I'll probably watch the first couple episodes. Its about a little girl with powers, and an escaped prisoner who has to protect her from evil.

That's the same director as the dude who did Gravity.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains

----------

Firestarter remake? :p Now I have 2 shows to check out, Believe and Resurrection. :)

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Helix Spoilers​

Just caught the latest episode of Helix. I'll probably see this through to the end of the season, but... it's no Lost. The log cabin set up in the lower level just did not resonate with me, as if someone could spend some period of time "growing up" in Montana and never leave the cabin and not wonder, wtf? The revelation about Daddy, and taking out the bad people rounding up the locals, ehh it all seems amateurish. ;)

takao

macrumors 68040
Dec 25, 2003
Dornbirn (Austria)
Just caught the latest episode of Helix. I'll probably see this through to the end of the season, but... it's no Lost.

which in my book can also be a good thing ;)

personally i had to bail out pretty early with Lost (early 2. season i think) simply for the fact that it felt to me like they simply kept making up stuff as they go along just to drag it out, putting one mcguffin into the episodes one after the other

FlashForward tried to emulate Lost way too hard and fell into that trap as well.

have some helix episodes on my list now .. but i had to check some new series:
Mixology: could go either way for me
Growing up Fisher: liked the first episode
Mind Games: the replacement for the snore fest Killer Women.... and it's an absolute disaster

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains

personally i had to bail out pretty early with Lost (early 2. season i think) simply for the fact that it felt to me like they simply kept making up stuff as they go along just to drag it out, putting one mcguffin into the episodes one after the other

FlashForward tried to emulate Lost way too hard and fell into that trap as well.

Mind Games: the replacement for the snore fest Killer Women.... and it's an absolute disaster

That is a valid critique of Lost. My wife bailed somewhere in the 3rd season. For myself I loved the premise, the story, and what some considered the slow progression, because I loved most of the characters and the lingering mystery... :D

ritmomundo

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
That is a valid critique of Lost. My wife bailed somewhere in the 3rd season. For myself I loved the premise, the story, and what some considered the slow progression, because I loved most of the characters and the lingering mystery... :D

I really enjoyed season 1 of Lost, but season 2 lost me, and I never started season 3. I've heard thats a common stopping place for people. Those who get past season 2 or 3 make it to the end of the series.

ritmomundo

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Los Angeles, CA

I actually enjoyed FlashForward, even though it was way way out there. But if I recall correctly, it was cancelled abruptly after just a few episodes, so there were never any conclusive answers.

I didn't enjoy Mixology at all. I honestly didn't find any of it funny or witty. But I think ABC is partly at fault here. They've lumped all their comedy shows into one night with Modern Family, and none of the other comedies can live up to it (The Middle, Suburgatory, Mixology).

Mind Games has some interesting concepts about perception and persuasion, but I cannot stand the main character. The rest of the cast are boring, but the main guy Clark is just overkill. One second he's pulled together, the next he's crazy, and the back and forth is just too much.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Resurrection- A home run. All of the elements were there to suck me in. Will it last? Stay tuned! :D

I can't explain why the atmosphere in this show is so much different than a show like Helix. Sorry about my continued ragging on Helix, but it's just ripe for comparison. In Resurrection, the lighting, the atmosphere, the script, the acting all combine to make it expand beyond the TV screen. One of the hard aspects to describe is the acting. I'm not sure it's the subtleness of the script or what, but what I saw tonight made Helix look really crude in comparison.

resurrection.jpg

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Watched Believe tonight on NBC. Pretty good, fast moving, a kid with telekinesis, mind reading, seeing the future, and other mysterious abilities on the run from a secret organization. When I first heard of this premise I immediately flashed back to The Fury (1978), Scanners (1981), and Firestarter (1984). There has got to be a secret organization! :p I'll keep watching :)

34327.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.