Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ritmomundo

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Resurrection- A home run. All of the elements were there to suck me in. Will it last? Stay tuned! :D

I can't explain why the atmosphere in this show is so much different than a show like Helix. Sorry about my continued ragging on Helix, but it's just ripe for comparison. In Resurrection, the lighting, the atmosphere, the script, the acting all combine to make it expand beyond the TV screen. One of the hard aspects to describe is the acting. I'm not sure it's the subtleness of the script or what, but what I saw tonight made Helix look really crude in comparison.

I loved the first episode of Resurrection. It really drew me in. But the season preview at the end threw me a little. It looks interesting, but I just really hope it doesn't go the way of The Event and end up being all about aliens. :rolleyes:

I'll try to watch Believe tonight.

I'm not really into Pop Sci, but the Cosmos "reboot" seems like it could have potential.
I agree. It doesn't seem very polished, but it could have potential.

millerj123

macrumors 68030
Mar 6, 2008
Not really a SPOILER ALERT - Alphas

I didn't do my homework, and now I'm :mad:. Alphas was a cheap copy of the X-men, but the storyline was interesting. They did a cliffhanger ending that sucked, and then they got cancelled.

Not worth the time.

Since it was brought up earlier in this thread, I've restarted Farscape. It's interesting to watch the episodes in order, as time permits. Although I expect I'm going to wind up unhappy about the whole Scorpius thing.

albertfallickwa

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2014
Plowing through Season 1 of The Americans. Also slowly working through Season 1 of Breaking Bad too on Netflix.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I didn't do my homework, and now I'm :mad:. Alphas was a cheap copy of the X-men, but the storyline was interesting. They did a cliffhanger ending that sucked, and then they got cancelled.

Not worth the time.

Since it was brought up earlier in this thread, I've restarted Farscape. It's interesting to watch the episodes in order, as time permits. Although I expect I'm going to wind up unhappy about the whole Scorpius thing.

Farscape did not grab me. :(

Plowing through Season 1 of The Americans. Also slowly working through Season 1 of Breaking Bad too on Netflix.

There was a new episode of The Americans on last night that I still need to watch. For season 2, the show is still in the grove. Outstanding television!

albertfallickwa

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2014

Isn't Farscape an open source Linux 3D game? LOL :D
Doesn't sound interesting to me either.
The Americans is very tense. I am halfway through season 1 and granted it isn't too violent but my heart is racing in terms of the hidden stuff which is going on all the time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains

Isn't Farscape an open source Linux 3D game? LOL :D
Doesn't sound interesting to me either.
The Americans is very tense. I am halfway through season 1 and granted it isn't too violent but my heart is racing in terms of the hidden stuff which is going on all the time.

farscape.jpg

For Farscape, the premise was interesting, but the acting just did not grab me. It's possible I did not give it enough time, but usually if I have to give a show "time", then there are issues from the start.

There are some pretty violent things that happen on The Americans, yes they are toned down for TV. ;)

obeygiant

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
totally cool
For fun I saw the "duke's of hazzard" on some channel so I switched over to it for a look. What a stupid ****ing show. So dumb for real.

ritmomundo

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Watched Believe tonight on NBC. Pretty good, fast moving, a kid with telekinesis, mind reading, seeing the future, and other mysterious abilities on the run from a secret organization. When I first heard of this premise I immediately flashed back to The Fury (1978), Scanners (1981), and Firestarter (1984). There has got to be a secret organization! :p I'll keep watching :)

I watched the pilot of Believe last night. Unfortunately, 1 episode is all its is going to get from me. I wanted to see what Alfonso Cuarón could do with a TV series, but honestly, I found it difficult to sit through the entire hour.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
I'll have to catch up with the Americans (if FX finally put older episodes on free on demand.)

And I missed the Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. with Lady Sif last night (still think Sif and the Warriors Three need their own movie.) - Maybe I'll try this weekend.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I watched the pilot of Believe last night. Unfortunately, 1 episode is all its is going to get from me. I wanted to see what Alfonso Cuarón could do with a TV series, but honestly, I found it difficult to sit through the entire hour.

We all have different tastes. :) So far I would not call it great, mostly a retread, a reinvention of what has come before it, in fact not much of a reinvention at all, a very close premise to what preceded it, something television execs like to do. I assume, someone thinks, they will snag a new younger audience. One episode won't kill it for me. Ask me again after 2 or 3. :)

albertfallickwa

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2014
I'll have to catch up with the Americans (if FX finally put older episodes on free on demand.)

And I missed the Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. with Lady Sif last night (still think Sif and the Warriors Three need their own movie.) - Maybe I'll try this weekend.

The Americans is free for those with Amazon Prime on Video on Demand. No Netflix however.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
Thanks...

The Americans is free for those with Amazon Prime on Video on Demand. No Netflix however.

Thanks for the tip. I'm not a Prime customer though.

>>>

Vikings is picking up. I appreciate the deeper exploration of characters this season. Donal Logue, Clive Standen and Thornbjorn Harr are an absolute blast (the latter is so perfectly O.T.T. )

I still cannot stand Ragnar (the character is such an ass, props to Travis Fimmel for making me boo him whenever he's on screen. I want him to fail, but everyone else around him to succeed.)

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Believe, Episode 2- It's keeping me interested. Definitely the retelling of previous telekinesis stories (kid on the run , secret organization wants to use kid) with some twists.

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
The latest EW is raving about Orphan Black, a BBC SciFi drama about clones and conspiracy. But frequently Entertainment Weekly is all about hype. Has anyone watched this? It looks like in prep for the April debut of Season 2, they are showing Season 1 repeats at 4am on BBC starting on 20March, at least on my cable system.

I've got it set up to record and will give it a shot. :)

orphanblack_thumbnail_01_web1.jpg

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Excellent! I'm confident you'll enjoy it. :)

Four episodes in (X-Files) and it's going great! :) I only watched this show sparatically so these are all new to me. E1: Alien Abduction, E2: Air Force pilots messed up by flying mysterious tech aircraft, E3: Sewerman, E4: Alien Abduction.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Four episodes in (X-Files) and it's going great! :) I only watched this show sparatically so these are all new to me. E1: Alien Abduction, E2: Air Force pilots messed up by flying mysterious tech aircraft, E3: Sewerman, E4: Alien Abduction.

There are some episodes that are out there (no pun intended) but the main theme of the show, government conspiracy and cover ups of alien life, are what really keep me watching it again and again.

They tend to do standalone episodes with themes that aren't part of the main theme and then they come back for an episode or several in a row where it's all about the main theme.

Then don't forget to watch the first movie, self-titled, The X-Files (1998) in between seasons 5 and 6. The movie kind of goes right along with the series.

Don't get your hopes up for the second movie, The X-Files: I Want To Believe (2008) because it didn't follow the same theme as the series or the first movie and I was sorely disappointed in it.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
There are some episodes that are out there (no pun intended) but the main theme of the show, government conspiracy and cover ups of alien life, are what really keep me watching it again and again.

They tend to do standalone episodes with themes that aren't part of the main theme and then they come back for an episode or several in a row where it's all about the main theme.

Then don't forget to watch the first movie, self-titled, The X-Files (1998) in between seasons 5 and 6. The movie kind of goes right along with the series.

Don't get your hopes up for the second movie, The X-Files: I Want To Believe (2008) because it didn't follow the same theme as the series or the first movie and I was sorely disappointed in it.

I remember tuning in on one episode that was taking place in some kind of alternate universe. I remember thinking how strange it was and really not happy with it.

----------

The latest EW is raving about Orphan Black, a BBC SciFi drama about clones and conspiracy. But frequently Entertainment Weekly is all about hype. Has anyone watched this? It looks like in prep for the April debut of Season 2, they are showing Season 1 repeats at 4am on BBC starting on 20March, at least on my cable system.

I caught the first episode. Very intriguing. For anyone that is interested, the first season is available for free streaming on Amazon Prime video. Has nudity.

Spoiler follows, IMBD plot summary:

SPOILER: Orphan Black follows outsider, orphan and street-wise chameleon Sarah. After witnessing a woman's suicide, Sarah assumes the strangers identity - who happens to look just like her. Expecting to solve all her problems by cleaning out the dead woman's savings, Sarah is instead thrust headlong into a kaleidoscopic mystery as she realizes the dizzying truth

oldhifi

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2013
USA
I have watched a lot of good shows on my Roku, like:

Sons of Anarchy
The Killing
Homeland
The Shield
NYPD Blue
The Wire
Walking Dead

albertfallickwa

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2014

Saw the iTunes free download and kind of liked it. I think that the premise is intriguing but the dialogue was stiff and the character development was too abstracted.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.