Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

grandM

macrumors 68000
Oct 14, 2013
wtf

I think Apple (and a lot of other companies) also consider purchasing power.

For example, imagine a job that would land you 2000€/month in Europe. In the US, the same job would land you 2000$/month. The salaries are the same, it's just the exchange rate that is different.

So, in order to retain their position in the market they have to artificially raise the price in other regions.

so 1160€ for a base i7 mini may seem a lot to an outsider, but the ratio is quite the same. Only when you exchange currency the difference matters.
lol you ought to talk in terms of purchasing power. Average housing price is low in USA compared to Belgium/Netherlands. And where did you get the idea the same job would pay $2000 = €2000 :d Keep your drinking to Friday & Saturday evening :d

ElectronGuru

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2013
Oregon, USA
Anyway, I continue to find all this geeky angst a bit of a giggle. Why does when an updated Mac Mini appears matter so much?

Part of the problem is time-value. Computers are a depreciating product. From the moment a design is set or a given copy hits a shelf, it's worth less the following day. If mac prices followed this, you would pay less on day 409 that you do on day 9.

But they don't. Prices are kept pretty constant during a generation and even between generations, features are added rather than dollars removed. What that does is create a time differential: the earlier in the release cycle you can purchase, the higher is your value. "I've gotta pay the same price, why not buy earlier when features are fresh".

I don't know how they justify the additional $92.

UK requires 2 years of warranty support, twice what's included in the US price.

No estimated Date yet for the Mac Mini 2014 models

I was expecting a non answer. They totally confirmed a new model this year!

romeroalber

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2014
Gaming on Mac Mini?

Hi. I have a doubt and I hope you can give me some light ; )

I own a 2011 Macbook Air. I mainly use it for web browsing, Photoshop and gaming. The problem is that the Air is kinda short for games. For that reason I'm planning to buy a Mac Mini but I don't know if my best option is buying one of the current models or waiting for the new one. I could buy a 2,5 GHz model for approximately 200$ less in a store near my city.

I don't know what games run properly on the Mini. Any personal experiencies? Any examples of games that I could play on the Mac Mini? For example, it could be possible to play Batman Arkham City? And, if I chose the current model, which one would be the best option?

As you see I'm very lost. Anyway, I could be just fine if I could play games of the past gen of consoles and, maybe, some of the cross-gen (I don't believe the Mac Mini to be able to support next gen graphics of Xbox One or PS4).

Thanks and sorry about my english ; )

PD: I post a capture of my Macbook Air specs.

2yy6vzc.png

Last edited:

squirrrl

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2013
San Diego, CA
lol you ought to talk in terms of purchasing power. Average housing price is low in USA compared to Belgium/Netherlands. And where did you get the idea the same job would pay $2000 = €2000 :d Keep your drinking to Friday & Saturday evening :d

Agreed.. I thought that was weird. Even in the US, depending on where you live, you can have vastly different pay for the same job. If you live in NYC or SF for instance, your salary is typically substantially higher than if you are doing that job in Nebraska.

So by your logic, if I moved to Mexico and I made $20,000/year in the US and got the equivalent job, I would be making 20,000 ($1,500) pesos a year? No. That would be ridiculous. I think the OP needs to go back to school and take basic economics.

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
I don't know how they justify the additional $92.

UK requires 2 years of warranty support, twice what's included in the US price.

That would account for $75 (Applecare is $150 for two years). High profit margin on this especially since repairs follow "bathtub curve" in that they tend to happen when new and when old but not so much midlife.

Perhaps the additional $17 is for spite, for having to give the extra year? :)

chelch

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2012

I own a 2011 Macbook Air. I mainly use it for web browsing, Photoshop and gaming. The problem is that the Air is kinda short for games. For that reason I'm planning to buy a Mac Mini but I don't know if my best option is buying one of the current models or waiting for the new one. I could buy a 2,5 GHz model for approximately 200$ less in a store near my city.

I don't know what games run properly on the Mini. Any personal experiencies? Any examples of games that I could play on the Mac Mini? For example, it could be possible to play Batman Arkham City? And, if I chose the current model, which one would be the best option?

As you see I'm very lost. Anyway, I could be just fine if I could play games of the past gen of consoles and, maybe, some of the cross-gen (I don't believe the Mac Mini to be able to support next gen graphics of Xbox One or PS4).

Thanks and sorry about my english ; )

PD: I post a capture of my Macbook Air specs.

This is still the best mini for games.
http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/mac_mini/specs/mac-mini-core-i7-2.7-mid-2011-specs.html
They can be found on ebay sometimes with the AMD Radeon HD 6630M. But you will still be left wanting more when it comes to gaming. A comparably priced Windows PC will be much much more powerful.

Cancelled
Jan 22, 2014

Wait for the new one!! :rolleyes:

Current Mini only have HD4000, which isn't a huge improve from your HD3000.
HD4000 is also very slow at games,

the new mini is very likely to have Iris Pro, which is equal performance to a A10-5800k Chip. I have the 5800k in a PC, and I can play every game at decent frames (mid settings, 1080p). Huge difference to the HD4000.

Jambalaya

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2013
UK
On pricing many things are cheaper in the US, cars are a perfect example. This is due in part at least to the fact the US is a larger single market. Apple computers are cheaper too, also as noted many times UK and European prices quoted on websites include sales tax which in most cases is around 20%

----------

According to a Japanese website,
the mac mini 2014 out in March:

http://www.weiphone.com/apple/MAC/20...__577606.shtml
My Japanese is a little rusty

Nathan France

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2014
http://www.weiphone.com/apple/MAC/2...ch_there_will_be_a_new_Mac_mini__577606.shtml

"In January there was a Belgian Mac reseller claiming they received inside information that Apple plans to launch a new generation of Mac mini will be before the end of February. Soon after, the news that Mac mini has begun to emerge out of stock in some dealers in Europe, suggesting that the approach of the new product. But now entered in March, the new Mac mini is still without it anyway, it will be in this month update?

Wei Feng network today learned through informed sources, the new generation of Mac mini will indeed be released in March, however, and after rumors difference is that Apple will not release stage for a mini-host this special match, but directly at the official website the update. That year, Apple will not be held in March new conference. Maybe you've heard of before, Mac mini and Apple TV will become a March conference protagonist.

As a new generation of Apple TV, although all indications show that it will soon Recently the usher updates - such as promotional older Apple TV, and other relevant technical staff recruitment, but go very close with Apple reporter Jim Dalrymple has denied These messages. How in the end result, we can only wait for a March strike."

buckawheat

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2008
I can almost predict with 100% certainty that the new Mac Mini will be released in the next two weeks. The prediction method I've used is flawless and has worked many times in the past:

I purchased the existing model from a seller on Ebay - to be delivered in the next 7 days :)

If this method works (and has on an imac and ipods in the past), expect brand new Thunderbolt displays too within the next couple weeks!

RCAFBrat

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2013
Montreal, QC
I can almost predict with 100% certainty that the new Mac Mini will be released in the next two weeks. The prediction method I've used is flawless and has worked many times in the past:

I purchased the existing model from a seller on Ebay - to be delivered in the next 7 days :)

If this method works (and has on an imac and ipods in the past), expect brand new Thunderbolt displays too within the next couple weeks!

Thanks for taking one for the team!

DavidG328

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2009
Portland, OR

After your first paragraph I started thinking: "oh boy here it comes."

Then I laughed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.