Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blindpcguy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 4, 2016
Bald Knob Arkansas
so its their last mac with an optical drive, last portable with upgradable ram and is the last portable with a spinning hard drive. how much longer do you all think apple will wait before discontinuing the 13 inch map at least it shows for everyone who bought macs in 2012 that they will still get years of mainstream support as the 2012 map has made it 4 years without being thrown off the lineup

Count Blah

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2004
US of A
Apple would LOVE to kill. But people are still buying it. Perhaps that should give Apple a clue that people still value user serviceability. But sadly, that argument has fallen of deaf, supply chain, bean counter, maximizing margins ears.

Reactions: RandomStranger4

blindpcguy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 4, 2016
Bald Knob Arkansas
il b an apple user until the day i die unless they lock it down so bad that a mac is nothing more then an iPad with a touchpad and keyboard i love the unix base with mainstream applications available unlike linux and yes i know its not unix. but anyways back to the topic on hand at least it means a nice long life for people who got 2012 MacBooks because if people are still buying them now then i bet they get os updates for the foreseeable future and this probably would include the 15 inch since there is not that much deference between the two. it just shocks me how long they have kept selling it but then again they sold the iPad 2 for how long now lol i know they finally discontinued it when the air 2 came out but if i remember correctly for a while you could buy an iPad 2 4 or air at least until the air 2 came out lol.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'm guessing, that it will disappear from the apple store, after the next refresh. Of course if they're still making money off the laptop, why stop selling it? I have no idea of its popularity.

Count Blah

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2004
US of A
I'm guessing, that it will disappear from the apple store, after the next refresh. Of course if they're still making money off the laptop, why stop selling it? I have no idea of its popularity.
It's able to be upgraded. If you are not gaming, nor using really graphically intensive apps, it's still a decent machine.

It's not for you, but it is for some. Too bad Apple refuses to listen, and they continue being consumer hostile by gluing everything in, and forcing customer to buy max specs if they THINK their needs will increase over time.

My only hope is that the popularity of the iPhone SE forces Apple to rethink releasing SOME kind of upgradeable MBP.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
They've probably sold enough of these over the past several years that the production cost per unit (calculated over the entire production run) is now relatively low. And that means that with each new unit produced, the amount of profit per unit increases.

Maybe another 6 months for the new ones?
And perhaps longer for the refurbs?

tubeexperience

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2016
...probably when people stop buying them

Apple likes to unscrupulously sell super-outdated tech to naïve buyers

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
...probably when people stop buying them

Apple likes to unscrupulously sell super-outdated tech to naïve buyers

Nothing unscrupulous about it, it's hardly a secret that it's old tech and anyone spending that sort of money without doing their research is likely to get something rubbish in any computer store.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.