Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Neutral Gamer

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
It might not be that your router needs to be replaced because it's out of spec, it may be degrading. If it's a few years old it might just be wearing out ...

But how does that explain why it works perfectly well with Tiger and Windows?

There are too many variables to make such a blanket statement I'm afraid. The facts however, are clear: The threat starter's hardware has not changed, only the software has changed (Tiger->Leopard). Everything worked fine on Tiger, but doesn't on Leopard.

That's a software problem, not a hardware one.

To the thread starter: Did you do a clean install of Leopard or an upgrade?

I'd heard of problems with people doing an "Upgrade" or "Archive and Install" so I went for the whole hog and did a complete clean install. Looks like I still couldn't avoid the problems that others before me seemed to be experiencing though!

razorme

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2002
Calgary, AB
But how does that explain why it works perfectly well with Tiger and Windows?

I'd heard of problems with people doing an "Upgrade" or "Archive and Install" so I went for the whole hog and did a complete clean install. Looks like I still couldn't avoid the problems that others before me seemed to be experiencing though!

I have had problems ever since that one update in Tiger (10.4.10 I believe) on my MBP where I would lose connections all the time. I finally got rid of the old PPC kernal extensions that were carried over through all my OS X upgrades and now it doesn't drop the connection anymore - but I will get stalls which take a few seconds to recover from. I solve this problem by streaming a 24 kbps station on iTunes (at 0% volume). I have a new D-Link DIR-655 Wireless N/Gigabit router.

I wonder sometimes where I should just get a new router as well - I have heard people say the D-Links just don't work well with the wireless hardware in Macs. (Note: Upgrading to Leopard didn't change anything).

darbyclash34

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2007
I am having a problem in that networks that work completely under 10.4.9, like my local free wireless network, don't even show up under 10.4.10, 10.4.11, 10.5, or 10.5.1! My brother was just here with his year old MacBook, and he was getting full signal strength! It doesn't even show up on my list of available networks! This is on a brand new (shipped with a Leopard drop-in disc) MacBook Pro. I can't see why an older, half as expensive machine should be so much better than my brand new machine.

Shawn

Neutral Gamer

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Hmmmm ....

I have had problems ever since that one update in Tiger (10.4.10 I believe) on my MBP where I would lose connections all the time.

I am having a problem in that networks that work completely under 10.4.9, like my local free wireless network, don't even show up under 10.4.10, 10.4.11, 10.5, or 10.5.1!

You know what lads, before I did a clean install of Leopard I'm sure I remember installing the lastest updates. Can't remember if they were for Tiger or just for the MBP or a combination of both.

Could that have affected the firmware for the built in wireless in any way you think? Or were they strictly software updates? After installing the updates I literally went off and did the Leopard install so I never had chance to check whether the updates themselves could also have been a cause of the problems!

darbyclash34

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2007
I did notice that while my brother and me had the same Airport Model info, he did have an older firmware version.

Shawn

Wild-Bill

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2007
bleep
Powerbook G4 12", Leopard. No problems with a D-Link DGL-4300 "Gamerlounge" wireless G router.

Also, when home for the holiday no problems with my PB nor my sister's SR Macbook w/ Leopard going through a Netgear 614 v6 wireless router. However, I told her not to update to 10.5.1 yet b/c of the freezing keyboard issue.

Hope this helps anyone.

darbyclash34

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2007
I also have firmware version 1.2.2 and my location is set to the US, but thats correct. My brothers non buggy Airport had firmware 1.0.4 I believe, definitely something in the 1.0.x series. Wonder if we can find a trend?

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
Yes I'm saying that router is out of date spec wise.Especially when you're using a .N wireless card in your Mac.

It would definitely help.A lot.

The new routers are cheap.

He does NOT need to upgrade his router simply because he has an N card in his laptop. :rolleyes:

Draddy

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2007
I had to buy a new router completely when I bought leopard... .neither my MBP or my iBook would connect to my old belkin router.... I had had enough anyways (extremely slow) so I bought a new netgear rangemax and haven't really had any more problems.

geoking66

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2006
No wireless problem here with Leopard, I'm wireless with a Wireless G router across the house (on an iMac).

Mlobo01

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2003
Weehawken New Jersey
I upgraded my external drive (via usb 2.0) to test it out, the very first issue was that I could not connect to my router it could not find it, I have the router with its ssid in non-bradcasting mode and under password protected, it could not find it and when it did find the signal it would get lost upon restart. I knew that under Tiger by deleting some of the plist files it would improve, so I deleted the entire prefs folder under the user account and under the system account, it did improve but it remain even better when I changed the location from automatic to "home" as for Tiger there where similar issues but everyone forgets because of the upgrades and hints etc, there where 3 upgrades within a short period after its initial release, alas Tiger on my main HD is very stable now but the lure of Leopard is too enticing not to try. A lot of folks have managed to improve their systems by doing a clean install, I decided to tough it out and stick with the upgrade to see how much I could fix: I fixed the wireless issue, the sleep issue and finally the system preferences issue (non-locking panes)I could not fix no matter how much I read so I did an 'archive and install' and it worked and I managed to keep my pictures and settings etc, I did hit the password issue snag upon restart but since I had a second account I logged in and reset my password from there, now im trying it out with no issues (for now)SO the plist files to delete are the following: systempreferences,network configuration, Directoryutility,Directory. I also know that the utility disc does not correct permission correctly so it prevents the system from flushing corrupt caches, try using cocktail and clean all caches, look at the Console logs to monitor if they are being cleaned or not, if not the manual way is also proper (finder>go to folders>/etc or /var>caches)

Mlobo01

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2003
Weehawken New Jersey
wireless issues...

when you are configuring the your settings just make a different location like"home' etc, turn off ipv6, if your router gives out any DNS or router info its good to also input this information under the DNS tab in network location you made (system prefs>network>configure airport>tcp/ip>dns) input the router's ip address. Also know that Leopard's wireless icon on the menu bar represents data rate now and not signal strength.

Animalk

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2007
Montreal Canada
My wireless in leopard works fine except for my school network which is TTLS-PAP.

No matter what i try to do, the bloody software won't listen to me and just puts its own settings. Even a CS student (me) can't figure out the problem.

To me it appears that rewrite of the Wireless manager has let slip a couple bugs. It's gone completely bonkers. It remembers things that I have completely erased from the computer. :(

Mlobo01

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2003
Weehawken New Jersey
wireless settings...

If you go to the Directory Utility (applications>utilities) there are some panes in which you can in input the information you might need, it seems that you need to input more information than the network preferences requires. I also remember reading that some folks got their wireless service back when they restarted their routers, In your case just check to see if the settings stick by deleting the Networkconfiguration.plist file under user>library>preferences

Neutral Gamer

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
when you are configuring the your settings just make a different location like"home' etc, turn off ipv6, if your router gives out any DNS or router info its good to also input this information under the DNS tab in network location you made (system prefs>network>configure airport>tcp/ip>dns) input the router's ip address. Also know that Leopard's wireless icon on the menu bar represents data rate now and not signal strength.

This is good advice and something I've tried before as well. It definitely makes a difference, although still not perfect it's definitely worth trying for those who are still having problems.

In the TCP/IP tab changing the IPv4 setting to "Manual" and entering in the required information (eg. Subnet Mask) from your router is also something I'd recommend to everyone.

Mlobo01

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2003
Weehawken New Jersey
Network Settings...

I was checking the network prefs pane and under the airport configuration there is a TTLS-PEAP setting under 802.1X tab, maybe thats what you need to configure, hope that helps as well. IT helps to look at the Console logs to see if theres something thats preventing the connection, together with the Terminal app you can learn certain commands that may fix the system, I fixed a certain repeating message:"...com.apple.nis.ypbind...will restart in 10 seconds" that was peventing the system to go to sleep on its own, so through another command it allowed me to terminate that function and sleep came back on its own, you just need to be careful and understand the commands you are making, if you google "Terminal commands in OS X" you get a good amount of sites that show proper commands that may help maintain your computer, these are easy to learn and a very effective.

Mlobo01

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2003
Weehawken New Jersey
I found this hint here...from Tiger Wireless issues...

One of the most successful workarounds for this issue involves deleting networks and AirPort keychains then re-establishing them, as described
here:"http://www.macfixit.com/article.php?story=2005093011343164."
Now some users have reported that deleting the following file:
/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.airport.preferences.plist
can resolve the issue.MacFixIt reader Matthew Powell writes:
"I updated my Mac Mini Core Duo from 10.4.6 to 10.4.7 and had an AirPort problem. After a reboot, the machine appeared to associate to the access point, but didn't get a DHCP address. The interface got a self-assigned address instead. The 'Renew DHCP Address' button had no effect.
"I was able to get connectivity back by selecting 'Other...' from the AirPort menu, then re-entering my SSID and password. But connectivity was lost again after a reboot."I ended up deleting:/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.airport.preferences.plist and the System keychain entry for my AirPort, and then reconfiguring AirPort. I'm still connected after a reboot."

razorme

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2002
Calgary, AB
I have had problems ever since that one update in Tiger (10.4.10 I believe) on my MBP where I would lose connections all the time. I finally got rid of the old PPC kernal extensions that were carried over through all my OS X upgrades and now it doesn't drop the connection anymore - but I will get stalls which take a few seconds to recover from. I solve this problem by streaming a 24 kbps station on iTunes (at 0% volume). I have a new D-Link DIR-655 Wireless N/Gigabit router.

I wonder sometimes where I should just get a new router as well - I have heard people say the D-Links just don't work well with the wireless hardware in Macs. (Note: Upgrading to Leopard didn't change anything).

Note for those with a DIR-655... there is a beta firmware v1.11 available... I've only tested briefly, but so far I am getting much better wireless connections with my MBP SR.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r19...-suddenly-stopped-obtaining-DHCP-add~start=80

Originally written by SloPoke1 @ DSLReports:
... download the latest firmware in this ftp site. »ftp://customer@cainfo.dlink.ca username: customer password: dlinkcustomer and look for the DIR-655 folder inside that folder that is the new firmware version.

Mlobo01

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2003
Weehawken New Jersey
Connectivity and hints...

I just looked at the firewall logs and it registered the folowing messageec 19 21:40:25 Mac-Mini Firewall46: Deny configd data in from 192.168.0.1:67 uid = 0 proto=17
The IP address above is my wireless router's address. so the firewall is indeed blocking the connection from my router.
you may obtain this information by going to System prefs>security>Firewall>Advanced>enable login.
I found this hint on how to disable the blocking, Im testing it now so look out for further posts:
http://discussions.apple.com/message...3303&stqc=true
Also macrumors has posted that Apple has seeded to developers an update (10.5.2) standing at a titanic 350Mbs
Another hint...
Is to open keychain Access and by selecting your network password>select access control and set it so it could be accessed by all applications.
Also I set the computer to sleep and it regain the connection on its own, maybe its as simple as this?
Anyway I will keep on testing and posting,cheers mates!

Mlobo01

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2003
Weehawken New Jersey
one more thing...

I loaded the wireless strength widget from the folks that make istat, and by elevating my router above the computer I was able to get 10-15% more signal strength, I raised about 4 feet above. It is snappier

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
I'm surprised that you're having trouble with Leopard. I've got Leopard installed on my iBook G4 and MacBook Pro. Both machine's can see my neighbor's wireless network. That's really impressive since he's somewhere between a quarter-mile and a half-mile away from me (the houses are spread-out quite a ways in my area).

I know it's his network because his name and his wife's name come up as the usernames on the router.

I have no idea what brand of router they are using. But, I can see them. I haven't bothered trying to log-on since I don't really care. I haven't bothered to walk to their house to discuss it (I forgot to mention it the last time they came over to claim - note I say claim - that their dogs would no longer be spending all their time in my yard).

But, the interesting thing, is that I couldn't see their network with OS X 10.4.x on either system (despite knowing it was there because my Wife's XP machine could see it).

In my case, 10.5 seems to see it better than 10.4 did.

Edit: Also, just an observation that I forgot to mention... For some odd reason, my Mac Pro cannot see his network in Windows Vista. So, apparently, 10.5 finds his network better than both Windows and 10.4 Tiger on my Mac Pro.

I've never bothered trying to log-on to his network to browse around. But, if my machines can see it from this far away, I'm impressed.

Neutral Gamer

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
...Also macrumors has posted that Apple has seeded to developers an update (10.5.2) standing at a titanic 350Mbs ...

God I hope that 10.5.2 FINALLY fixes the problem. I'm sure a lot of us were expecting 10.5.1 to be the saviour but it looks like in mid January with a new year having started, a new solution will be coming our way ... (keeps fingers crossed).

I installed the latest MBP update for the non-responsive keys issue and now I have no problems with it (although my problem was only every now and then and no way as bad as some people have been experiencing on these forums). So by the same logic I hope that Apple do the same for the wireless problem in January!

Anyway I will keep on testing and posting,cheers mates!

Good to see you're still trying to sort it out my friend - keep at it! :D

I'm surprised that you're having trouble with Leopard ...

In my case, 10.5 seems to see it better than 10.4 did.

That's great for YOU but that doesn't make people like myself and others who have posted in this thread and countless other threads on the net feel any better, does it?

We're not making this up you know; there are people out there who have this problem. A problem which doesn't affect Tiger or Windows but does affect Leopard. Like the unresponsive keys on the Macbooks and Macbook Pros, not everyone suffers from it, but those who do get pretty annoyed with it.

There's obviously random reasons for why some people are having problems and others aren't - I just hope Apple, thanks to the feedback a lot of us have been sending, have worked out what the contributing factors are and can come up with a solution ... quick!

P.S. I'm glad your wireless experience of Leopard is better than Tiger. I mysef find shutdown times for example faster than in Tiger. Yet I know there's a lot of people complaining about how long it takes for them.

It doesn't affect me but I do feel for them and accept that different people are having different experiences with Leopard. Hopefully 10.5.2 will give us ALL the same positive experience. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.