Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MACDRIVE

macrumors 68000
Feb 17, 2006
Clovis, California
Abstract said:
This has to be a clearly idiotic act, where you must be embarrassed, or physically hurt yourself.

Febuary 23, 2001 11:00 AM (Approximately)

I was in welding class at Fresno City College grinding a piece of steel to be welded when I ALLOWED a very powerfull DeWalt DW494 equipped with a freshly installed 7 inch diameter SAIT grinding disk to rapidly inbed itself into my left forearm. You guessed it, being a new 7 inch disk traveling at 6000 RPM allowed a full 3.5 inch DEEP by 5.5 inch WIDE transection into my arm.

How did it happen? I had my left hand placed on top of the gear housing INSTEAD OF on the side handle. The grinder dug into the edge of the plate before wipping itself around into my arm.

I am constantly reminded every day of that extreme stupid act of which I did to myself because of the severe nerve damage that was sustained; leaving me with only partial use of my left hand. Below is a posted image of a DeWalt DW494 without the grinding disk installed.

B0000224KC.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.gif

UA-CAT-Page017_2.jpg

jamesi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2005
Davis CA
yesterday i walked into the wrong apartment looking for my friend. i was holding a glass of wine and feeling....good. it was a room full of asian girls with really nice furniture and i was pretty embarassed. after i closed the door, i ran like mad.....but it was prolly just the wine

Unorthodox

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2006
Not at the beach...
MACDRIVE said:
Febuary 23, 2001 11:00 AM (Approximately)

I was in welding class at Fresno City College grinding a piece of steel to be welded when I ALLOWED a very powerfull DeWalt DW494 equipped with a freshly installed 7 inch diameter SAIT grinding disk to rapidly inbed itself into my left forearm. You guessed it, being a new 7 inch disk traveling at 6000 RPM allowed a full 3.5 inch DEEP by 5.5 inch WIDE transection into my arm.

How did it happen? I had my left hand placed on top of the gear housing INSTEAD OF on the side handle. The grinder dug into the edge of the plate before wipping itself around into my arm.

I am constantly reminded every day of that extreme stupid act of which I did to myself because of the severe nerve damage that was sustained; leaving me with only partial use of my left hand. Below is a posted image of a DeWalt DW494 without the grinding disk installed.
Ok, Ok. You win.
I bet you wish you lost.

padré

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2006

something stupid hey...

well that would be yesterday then, i was doing some trix on my bmx, and you guessed it, i fell, broke my leg and my enkel (i hope thats the correct word) know the big pain in the ass about this is that i can't do much for my school within the next 6 weeks, and that i will have to wait a little longer to order my macpro,

but hey this is the first time i broke something, allways a first time, and it feels grate :rolleyes:

:(

Phat Elvis

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2005
Phila, PA
I'll revive the thread...

Once after a night out at the bars I got a ride back to my apartment from some friends. For some reason when they dropped me off I thought it would be cool to hang onto the hood of the car like a stunt driver. My friend called my bluff and started driving. After a few laps in the parking lot I decided to jump off. I remember thinking "you're going to have momentum from the car. start running as fast as you can when you hit the ground." I didn't run fast enough. Luckily there was a hospital across the street where I got 6 stiches in my chin. I was so hung over the next day I missed my first day of a new class. Not bright.

Markleshark

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2006
Carlisle, Up Norf!
I once fell off a curb (About, what, 4/5 inches?) dislocated my ankle, tore all the ligaments, managed not to fracture it somehow but still a pretty bad one. Plaster for 8 weeks and still cant move it fully nearly 18 months on. Not good.

Also, we were walking home froma nightclub once and a friend decided she really needed a piss, so I said 'How ez, just on my back and we'll run home' so she did (???) well I was pished, so I lost my balance, landed on my face and my friend that was on my back landed on my head further imbeding (SP?) it into the road. Few facial fractures here and there... It's all good. :) Got to go in an Ambulance tho.

L

Lau

Markleshark said:
Also, we were walking home froma nightclub once and a friend decided she really needed a piss, so I said 'How ez, just on my back and we'll run home' so she did (???) well I was pished, so I lost my balance, landed on my face and my friend that was on my back landed on my head further imbeding (SP?) it into the road. Few facial fractures here and there... It's all good. :) Got to go in an Ambulance tho.

I thought that one was going to end with her pissing all over you. :p

L

Lau

Markleshark said:
For a short while, at the time, so did I. On reflection, I think it would have prolly been better as well... touch and go tho

Funnily enough, many years ago, a friend of mine gave me a piggyback just for fun (we were both pretty wrecked) and he had a bright orange puffa jacket on (that he wore all the time, even in clubs :p ) and it was really shiny nylon, and I just couldn't keep my grip, and so my arms went first, then my legs, meaning my head hit the pavement first. It hit it so hard that some people in a restaurant who had heard it came out wondering what the noise was. That was exceptionally sore. And may explain a lot. :p I didn't piss myself though, so that was good. ;)

Markleshark

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2006
Carlisle, Up Norf!
Ouch. Sounds nasty. Mine didnt hurt at the time, I was quite drunken. But when I woke up, hungover, covered in blood, in hospital with my face throbbing that was quite a shock. Tar Well!

On the plus side, not pissing yourself is always a plus I guess.

Hummer

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2006
Queens, New York NY-5
Last time was uhh.. Tuesday morning, but most of you already know about that soo the time before that.

I was honest at a costume shop and when my friend asked me would she look good in a playboy bunny costume, I told her straight out "No."

Josias

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2006
I usually do a lot of stupid stuff, but last time was today at 2:45 pm. I hugged one from my class goodbye, fell over her foot, and bumped my forehead into a table.:p

patrick0brien

macrumors 68040
Oct 24, 2002
The West Loop
MACDRIVE said:

HOLY CRAP!!

Oh, wow! I've ground/cut into myslef with discs before, but Jesus!

I'm sorry man...

Ok, a contribution off the top of my mind...

I was working a project In Montreal Canada in January 2004 (ok, yeah that's not the point, but pretty silly in its own right). Coming out of the restaruant whene the team and I were just finishing dinner to grab the cars that were waiting for us.

I should have been paying attention to the fact the Ice tends to be reeeeeeeeeally pesky in Montreal (ergo the parking meters being back from the curb), I waved at the drivers when suddenly, both of my feet appeared on either side of him.

I had just enough time to think "Oh, this is really going to hurt"

Lucky I didn't break my tailbone, but I did somehow cut my hands up bad, and sprained both wrists.

cheekyspanky

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2004
South Bucks, UK
Last really stupid thing I did was stop at a petrol/gas station, chattting happily to my passenger, pulled the handbrake up, popped the fuel filler cap..but somehow managed to forget the whole turn the car off part..so I'm midway though filling whe my passenger gives me a scared look and runs and switches the ignition off.

Thankfully there was no explosion/fiery death..but I felt like a moron for quite a while afterwards..

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
Last week, I was on the tube on the way to a pretty important evening meeting.

I was due to give a presentation to the steering committee of a Londonwide assocation, possibly changing the direction of the assocation. My head was full of bumph and details and how to handle the various personalities on the committee and their conflicts with each other.

Got on the tube, sat down. Couple of stations later, the train gets pretty full. Evening rush hour, people are tired.

A Muslim woman gets on and stands right in front of me. Her stomach happens to be on my eye-level. I carry on my pondering, while at the same time idly staring at her tummy a few inches from my eyes.

Maybe my mouth is a bit slack. I'm lost in thought for several stations. Part of my mind is idly contemplating the rather eye-catchingly nice pattern of the fabric on her belly.

Another group of brain cells notice that there's something odd about her tummy. A few more station stops pass.

Hmm, maybe she's rather fat. There's something kinda bumpy about it. I can't avoid noticing as it's right there in front of my eyes. I try to work out this strangeness, while at the same time thinking about my presentation.

Another stop passes. The older woman next to me glares at me rather disturbingly and gets up.

What have I done??:confused:

She offers her seat to the muslim woman.

My mind snaps back to reality -

:eek: OMG:eek:

- I just spent the last 10 stops staring at this obviously heavily pregnant woman's belly while apparently refusing to give her my seat!

I'm so embarassed!

I panic and duck into the crowd, hiding at the other end of the carriage, knowing people are glaring at my rudeness. And me with my posh suit on too... I must seem like some rich tosser yoof...

So I'd like to apologise to that poor lady, if she happens to be reading MR at the moment.

When my partner was pregnant and we were on the tube, I got really steamed up over selfish b'stards who wouldn't give her their seat, and now I've gone and done the exact same thing. Smacks myself.

scem0

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2002
back in NYC!
a week ago tonight I did something stupid :(.

But I learned and grew from it. It defined new boundaries and let me know more about myself.

e

georgi0

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2006
Cyberspace
ok i remember some very embarashing moments back in my youth summer vacations at Mykonos island in Greece.

I used to go to this beach called Super Paradise where everyone was drinking and dancing. One day I drunk 10 shots of a drink called "death" appart from my regular drinks. I almost saw god that day. I was having a shot followed by a quick dive in a swimming pool full of piss (i think.. or at least it felt like piss to me..)

After that my frineds found me outside the bar at the parking lot talking to a dog about my drinking problem !

I think i woke up next month. Hey .. where did that summer go? I want my vacations back ! :eek:

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
Last Night

I got up for a midnight snack, and opened a can of tuna, and made myself a sandwich. I ate it, but I thought it tasted differnt.

This morning, I was in the bathroom for an hour, "getting rid" of the snack. I thought it was a bad can of tuna, so i went to the can to check the experation date. The can was right where I left it, next to the fridge. Only then did I realize what I had done.

I had eaten a can of dog food.:eek:

georgi0

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2006
Cyberspace
Cassie said:
Last Night

I got up for a midnight snack, and opened a can of tuna, and made myself a sandwich. I ate it, but I thought it tasted differnt.

This morning, I was in the bathroom for an hour, "getting rid" of the snack. I thought it was a bad can of tuna, so i went to the can to check the experation date. The can was right where I left it, next to the fridge. Only then did I realize what I had done.

I had eaten a can of dog food.:eek:

Tell us if you bark today and if you raise your leg to piss.... :D

cslewis

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2004
40º27.8''N, 75º42.8''W
Since our high school is ancient and was built in like 1951, we don't have any elevators for handicapped people. Instead, we have some kind of creaky old stair-climber type thing that chugs, spurts, and squawks its way up and around the stairs to the second floor. There's this big box, painted white, that juts out into the main stair area and holds all of 'the beast's' electrical equipment. Needless to say, I was the only one gifted enough to walk into it with my full lunch tray-- BLAM! It took me out, and my 500mL of Fiji water and my 'healthy choices' salad ended up all over the floor. :eek:

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Today I was working on my car and jammed my knuckle into some sharp edge on it, the f*cker was gushing blood for a good 20 minutes. I thought I might need stitches but it eventually stopped.

Now the bandaid is kinda restricting movement of my finger making it hard to type. At least it was my index finger, I'll need my middle finger for the 2 hour drive home tomorrow :D

gadgetgirl85

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2006
A few days ago I tried to reserve some books at the uni library one wouldnt reserve for some reason. I rang up the library to see what the problem was. They said that it was already loaned out...to me :eek:

dcv

macrumors G3
May 24, 2005
RedTomato said:
...I just spent the last 10 stops staring at this obviously heavily pregnant woman's belly while apparently refusing to give her my seat!...

Hehe, reminds me of the time I saw some woman on the tube offer her seat to another woman because she thought she was pregnant... turns out this other woman wasn't pregnant and stupidly said so, both embarrassing herself and the person who'd offered the seat. D'oh! If it were me I'd have either taken the seat or politely declined, but not admitted that I've just got a big belly :D Rather amusing for the rest of us in the carriage though...

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
Hmm, I notice the Google ads at the bottom of this page are for things like orbital welding, grinders, and other dangerous things.

Ouch. That's rubbing it in.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.