Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FogCityMac

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
I have an @me.com email address. In my iCloud settings on my iPhone, with iOS6, I can "Choose a default address to use when sending..." of either my @me.com or @icloud.com address. Also, I can select either domain in the "Allow sending from" field.

1) If I try to send from the @icloud.com account I receive a "rejected by the server message" and the email stays in my outbox.

2) If I try sending to the @icloud.com account the email bounces back in the sending email account's inbox.

A few questions:

1) When will the @icloud.com email domain begin to work?

2) Will Apple notify users?

3) Will @me.com emails be forwarded to @icloud.com or will both email addresses work?

Thanks in advance.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I never recieved any email about it, but all my @mac addresses can now send and receive at @icloud

I wonder if they are rolling it out to older customers first?

EJG1980

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2012
London, England
I'm in the same boat as the opening poster.

I have an @me address and the other day I noticed in the Mail App that there was a new dropdown box in the "from" field when composing an email. I could now select between my @me address or a new @icloud address.

I assumed that as Apple pushed this update on me that the @icloud address was ready to use, but alas I get errors when trying to send from the @icloud address and any email I send to it gets bounced back.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
I've had no notification but it's already working for me.

I won't be using it because I'm sticking with my @mac.com :cool:

I screwed up royally & somehow let my @mac address get away. It's the very best of the lot if you ask me :)

That said, after having one of the dreadful @me addresses (and refusing to use it) for what seemed like forever, _finally_ I can replace it with @icloud which at least is not so narcissistic & ego centric.

I've waited a long time to get a usable Apple address!

FogCityMac

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
For those of you who are able to send/receive emails with @icloud.com addresses:

1) did you receive a notification from Apple?

2) what happened to your old @me.com address? When a sender uses @me.com, does the email forward to your @icloud.com email inbox? Do you have two active email addresses/inboxes -- @me.com and @icloud.com?

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
For those of you who are able to send/receive emails with @icloud.com addresses:

2) what happened to your old @me.com address? When a sender uses @me.com, does the email forward to your @icloud.com email inbox? Do you have two active email addresses/inboxes -- @me.com and @icloud.com?
Both work for me. I do not remember getting any notification from Apple. Just started to notice they added it.

whsbuss

macrumors 601
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
I too have the @icloud.com alias set in both my iPhone and Mac but it does not work - from Yahoo email:

Remote host said: 550 5.1.1 unknown or illegal alias: xxxxx@icloud.com [RCPT_TO]

vtstarck

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2009
I can send outbound mail from my @icloud address. Mail to that address is rejected.

thewitt

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2011

No notification.

@me @mac and @icloud are all the same email account.

bowlerman625

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Chicago, IL area
I have a me.com address but when I send mail to xxxx@icloud.com I get a bounce back message from the sending email server. I can log in with my iCloud.com address but have not received the email that the Apple support document said we would be getting when the migration process is done.

macgrl

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2008
I have no errors either...I didn't get an email..it just appeared one day. works fine though

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Maybe its working for those who had previous @mac addresses or coming from MobileMe?

That's a plausible explanation - as they transition to enabling it they working on existing members before allowing it for new members

ScottNWDW

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
Orlando, Florida
Sending and receiving emails in both icloud.com and me.com. I have the icloud version set as default, but everytime I try to send an email the me.com comes up as the default.

FogCityMac

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
Update:

As of this morning-

- from my iPhone 4's mail app, I can not send an email from my @icloud.com email address... i.e., it's an option but the email will bounce back

- from my iPhone 4's mail app, I can not send an email from my @yahoo.com email address to my @icloud.com email address... i.e., the email will bounce back

However...

- from my MacBook Pro I can sign onto icloud.com via Safari and using my @icloud.com account and am able to send emails from my @icloud.com email address that are received with "_____@icloud.com."

- when I sign into Yahoo via Safari, I am unable to send an email to my @icloud.com email address... i.e., the email will bounce back

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
As of just 5 seconds ago, I can now send as @icloud.com from Mail.app (iCloud.com has been working for a few days), and from my iPod touch (iOS 5.1.1).

Emails sent to my @icloud.com address still bounce, however.

jW

whsbuss

macrumors 601
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
As of just 5 seconds ago, I can now send as @icloud.com from Mail.app (iCloud.com has been working for a few days), and from my iPod touch (iOS 5.1.1).

Emails sent to my @icloud.com address still bounce, however.

jW

Well I wouldn't send from iCloud.com b/c any reply would be rejected. Apple should deny sending until both work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.