Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
i still think i5s should be used as c2d 3.06 is 186$ i5 3.2 is 167$ whic means that if apple <3 with intel it could discount (as oems do) and provide cheaper chips.

3.06GHz C2D is 133$... And the discount applies to both CPUs, C2Ds being even more cheaper due their age

peakchua

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2010
3.06GHz C2D is 133$... And the discount applies to both CPUs, C2Ds being even more cheaper due their age

core 2 quads are completely ruled out right? :p. i tried my friends 21.5 3.06 4670 and it is damn hot... any one want to elaborate on a "newly designed" cooling system? :D

TMRaven

macrumors 68020
Nov 5, 2009
If they make any changes to the cooling system it will probably just be an additional fan on the gpu heatsink or moving the optical drive fan closer to gpu heatsink. I'm guessing water cooling would be out of the equation as these are not towers.

As for a product lineup, I think the 3.33ghz Clarkdale variant is out of the question, as its tdp is nearly as much as the lynnfields. I'll also stick to my guns and assume that article about the desktop 5750s was right. I'll also not that the article didn't say they were asking for mobile variants of 5750 at all. Apple will most likely underclock the desktop 5750s to conform to mobility 5870 tdp range with roughly the same performance-- maybe a tad more, but will most likely save money in the process. The only worry is having to fit a bigger daughterboard into the 27 inch iMac. Apple also might slightly overclock the mobility 5650, as it's a very low tdp chip, and already offers a marginal performance gain over mobility 4670. The mobility 5650 could be overclocked to mobility 5730 performance range-- or apple may choose to use mobility 5730 in place of mobility 5650.

21.5" - 1199 usd
Intel Core 2 Duo 3.06GHz Wofldale (option for 3.33GHz Wolfdale)
NVidia 320M
4GB RAM DDR3 1066
500gb hard drive (option for 1tb hard drive)

21.5" - 1499 usd
Intel Core i3 3.06GHz Clarkdale (option for 3.2GHz i5 Clarkdale)
Mobility Radeon 5650
4GB RAM DDR3 1066
1tb hard drive (option for 2tb hard drive)

27" - 1699 usd
Mobility Radeon 5650 (option for Radeon 5750)
4GB RAM DDR3 1066
1tb hard drive (option for 2 tb hard drive)

27" - 1999 usd
Intel Core i5 2.66GHz Lynnfield (option for 2.8GHz Lynnfield)
Radeon 5750
4GB RAM DDR3 1066

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
core 2 quads are completely ruled out right? :p. i tried my friends 21.5 3.06 4670 and it is damn hot... any one want to elaborate on a "newly designed" cooling system? :D

There are 65W C2Qs but they cost more than i5s

I really hope Apple won't use 5650 as it barely beats 4670. All 57xx chips can fit in 21.5", they top out at 30W while 4670 is 35W. As for the 5750, I think Apple would name it 58xx as people could think it's downgrade. What they use doesn't matter as they are all based on Juniper chip (desktop 57xx, mobile 58xx) and it's more than likely that Apple carries a variant with modified clocks anyway

nicroma

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2009
Midwest, USA
I wonder what the chances are of being able to upgrade the GPU in the existing 27". If they only upgrade to the GPU I wouldn't mind upgrading my 4850.

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
I wonder what the chances are of being able to upgrade the GPU in the existing 27". If they only upgrade to the GPU I wouldn't mind upgrading my 4850.
End user? No - the GPU's are soldered to the logic board. It's not possible. The only graphics upgrades that are possible are on the Mac Pros.

nicroma

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2009
Midwest, USA
End user? No - the GPU's are soldered to the logic board. It's not possible. The only graphics upgrades that are possible are on the Mac Pros.

Not true. They are on a card that connects with a slot. I wonder if Apple will still use the same card slot though.

RAM3Zero

macrumors newbie
May 27, 2010
Does any of this decent speculation have a viable timeframe attached to it?
Best guess?
Would they silently update these iMacs to coincide with WWDC? Or would it be announced (or barely mentioned since WWDC has bigger fish to fry) during the event? Or are these updates more likely in the distant future? (Sept/Oct, outside of my patience limits)

My hope is month of June, silent update/minor spec bump or whatever. I just want to get the most bang for my buck and stop lurking in MacRumors several times a day :) Such is the life of a Mac-convert-wannabe.

(you guys are awesome speculators, by the way. I follow a few of your threads and have gained a lot of food for thought)

IndustrialSpace

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2009
somewhere
Does any of this decent speculation have a viable timeframe attached to it?
Best guess?
Would they silently update these iMacs to coincide with WWDC? Or would it be announced (or barely mentioned since WWDC has bigger fish to fry) during the event? Or are these updates more likely in the distant future? (Sept/Oct, outside of my patience limits)

My hope is month of June, silent update/minor spec bump or whatever. I just want to get the most bang for my buck and stop lurking in MacRumors several times a day :) Such is the life of a Mac-convert-wannabe.

(you guys are awesome speculators, by the way. I follow a few of your threads and have gained a lot of food for thought)

I doubt it will be upgraded at WWDC. Even June is too early, IMO. I'd wager that late-July or early Sept. as to the new release.

I don't care too much about the spec bump as I intend on the i7, but are hoping that the major problems like noisy HDs, loud fans, yellow tint screens and grey bars are addressed.

Personally, I can't wait to hear how much improved the new iMacs are so I can go and buy one ASAP. The iMac is on my mind daily. Serioso!!

Omnigray

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2010
Personally, I can't wait to hear how much improved the new iMacs are so I can go and buy one ASAP. The iMac is on my mind daily. Serioso!!

Me too man the wait is ****ing killing me.

edit - and suddenly i realize why no one here ever curses lol

peakchua

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2010
If they make any changes to the cooling system it will probably just be an additional fan on the gpu heatsink or moving the optical drive fan closer to gpu heatsink. I'm guessing water cooling would be out of the equation as these are not towers.

As for a product lineup, I think the 3.33ghz Clarkdale variant is out of the question, as its tdp is nearly as much as the lynnfields. I'll also stick to my guns and assume that article about the desktop 5750s was right. I'll also not that the article didn't say they were asking for mobile variants of 5750 at all. Apple will most likely underclock the desktop 5750s to conform to mobility 5870 tdp range with roughly the same performance-- maybe a tad more, but will most likely save money in the process. The only worry is having to fit a bigger daughterboard into the 27 inch iMac. Apple also might slightly overclock the mobility 5650, as it's a very low tdp chip, and already offers a marginal performance gain over mobility 4670. The mobility 5650 could be overclocked to mobility 5730 performance range-- or apple may choose to use mobility 5730 in place of mobility 5650.

21.5" - 1199 usd
Intel Core 2 Duo 3.06GHz Wofldale (option for 3.33GHz Wolfdale)
NVidia 320M
4GB RAM DDR3 1066
500gb hard drive (option for 1tb hard drive)

21.5" - 1499 usd
Mobility Radeon 5650
4GB RAM DDR3 1066
1tb hard drive (option for 2tb hard drive)

27" - 1699 usd
Mobility Radeon 5650 (option for Radeon 5750)
4GB RAM DDR3 1066

27" - 1999 usd
Intel Core i5 2.66GHz Lynnfield (option for 2.8GHz Lynnfield)
Radeon 5750
4GB RAM DDR3 1066

i think that a higher end c2d is in option, they have to give a speed bump remember? i3 is probably out of question, ususally apple uses same chips as mbpros do

i was also thinking, u think apple (maybe in earlo 11 or late 10) may give us 1.5 tb standard? i think mobility 5870 would be bto desktop 5750 tdp too high remmebr apple cant really now develop a cooling system. but another heatsink to sacrifice design will not make me stop buying imacs :). for the quad. again, u need a speed bump so maybe 2.8 ghz i7 stanard. this is what i think because they need to make their updates exciting like when they put a core 2 extreme in 2008 :p

peakchua

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2010
:p

I really hope Apple won't use 5650 as it barely beats 4670. All 57xx chips can fit in 21.5", they top out at 30W while 4670 is 35W. As for the 5750, I think Apple would name it 58xx as people could think it's downgrade. What they use doesn't matter as they are all based on Juniper chip (desktop 57xx, mobile 58xx) and it's more than likely that Apple carries a variant with modified clocks anyway[/QUOTE]

question, so they may use 5750's mobility in the imac :) :) :). and mobility 5870 in the 27? if they use the 5850 mobility in the high end one, im going to be so pissed...... btw also a variant with th stupid mini display port... i like dvi better ); or something like that):

TMRaven

macrumors 68020
Nov 5, 2009
i think that a higher end c2d is in option, they have to give a speed bump remember? i3 is probably out of question, ususally apple uses same chips as mbpros do

The current core2duos the baseline iMacs provide are the fastest core2duos intel has on the market, so there's no chance in upgrading. Apple wouldn't upgrade to Clarkdales because they have to rely on integrated graphics, and apple would most likely want to have a lowest end iMac with top notch integrated graphics to appeal to their lower end customers. As it stands, 320m is fastest integrated chip on the market.

i was also thinking, u think apple (maybe in earlo 11 or late 10) may give us 1.5 tb standard? i think mobility 5870 would be bto desktop 5750 tdp too high remmebr apple cant really now develop a cooling system. but another heatsink to sacrifice design will not make me stop buying imacs :). for the quad. again, u need a speed bump so maybe 2.8 ghz i7 stanard. this is what i think because they need to make their updates exciting like when they put a core 2 extreme in 2008 :p

Personally, I'd sooner rather see some 3.5 inch SSDs with decent memory capacity and low cost to be put in the iMacs come 2011, rather than just more hard drive capacity. SSD is the true upgrade while 1tb to 1.5tb just pumps ePenises.
If apple provided desktop 5750s which this article hints at, then they'll most likely underclock them to meet the tdp range of mobility 5870. The only logical reason to use underlocked desktop 5750 instead of mobility 5870 is less cost and a slight boost in memory bandwidth. I doubt apple will up the ante on the Lynnfield variants of their iMacs. The technology and price point are already great on them. They'll most likely keep the current configuration to milk the price gouging for the i7. Apple will probably not use i7 870 because it costs too much-- even if oem and mass ordered I'm assuming.

The tech in the current line of iMacs is extremely good for their all-in-one limitations. Any major updates apple would do to their iMacs would be SSD/usb3.0/blu-ray-- all features that don't relate to the usual cpu/gpu upgrades.

EDIT: it's interesting to note that article I linked made no mention of shader cores, which is what I used to determine the authenticity of the 5750 being desktop variant. I remember reading another article that was very similar and did mention the shader counts.
EDIT2: Found it!

peakchua

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2010
The current core2duos the baseline iMacs provide are the fastest core2duos intel has on the market, so there's no chance in upgrading. Apple wouldn't upgrade to Clarkdales because they have to rely on integrated graphics, and apple would most likely want to have a lowest end iMac with top notch integrated graphics to appeal to their lower end customers. As it stands, 320m is fastest integrated chip on the market.

i feel that a 3.33 ghz maybe could be standard but most likely no so they can wait for the next next refresh when people hate the c2d for being to old and change to nehalem :) apple is trying to transistion out of core as u saw with the mbpros, imac i5/i7, the mac pro and the xserve. all thats left that is the 13inch laptops and the macbook air (i dont see the point in it anyway). i agree with just another 3.06 ghz or A 3.33 GHZ bump in the imac 21.5 but i expect to see nehalem desktop dual core i5s a 3.2 ghz up there (i3s are only for dell type computers) since apple wants to make it about the price of the nehalems (3.2 ghz costs 196$$ or somewhere around there) the 27inch could see higher end dual core i5 desktops or maybe a quad core option. possibly the i7 could be standard again :D as i have already said billiona of times. other than that, apple could be making their current high end offerings, their low end offerings.

to everyone else on gpus.. taking on the rumor that amd <3 apple, ati radeon chips could be discounted significantly. but apple has been sucking up to amd lately making new deals on amd gpus on their imac and if nvidia and intel start battling it out... we could see more powerful mobility radeon chips. as we can see difference between the mindset of nvidia (powerpowerpower!!) and amd (power with responsibility and management while owning nvidia and making an architecture that doesent toast a computer and take 100w tdp for a mobility gpu) amd gpu seems to have more sucess in terms of consumer perspective and buying. i would buy an 587- desktop for any frigin rig anytime as it runs cooler than most gpus at that level and its advanced :) not like nvidia being to "i dont want to lose"

peakchua

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2010
The tech in the current line of iMacs is extremely good for their all-in-one limitations. Any major updates apple would do to their iMacs would be SSD/usb3.0/blu-ray-- all features that don't relate to the usual cpu/gpu upgrades.

i would also like to know what, if apple could which i7 would apple use, the 2.93 ghz one or whatever.. im not a biggie on procesors. i agree with you on apples tech as look at lenovo, dell, gateway, asus. theyre all starting to put 4670s, 9400ms and pentiums to make nettops look cool though the imacs design is simple, sophisticated but wonderful. the only flaw of the imac and most macs are. 1.grpahics, 2. sound quality (imac) 3. cooling! apple is the only one to start putting nehalem quad cores onto their computers. core 2 quad all in ones never caught on because its dell :p

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
question, so they may use 5750's mobility in the imac :) :) :). and mobility 5870 in the 27? if they use the 5850 mobility in the high end one, im going to be so pissed...... btw also a variant with th stupid mini display port... i like dvi better ); or something like that):

As I said, it's more than likely that it more or less a modified version of Juniper chip so it doesn't matter what do they call it. It can be 5850 but overclocked. Or desktop 5750 but underclocked.

peakchua

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2010
As I said, it's more than likely that it more or less a modified version of Juniper chip so it doesn't matter what do they call it. It can be 5850 but overclocked. Or desktop 5750 but underclocked.

from what i know according to note book check, the 5870 mobility is between the 5750 and the 5770 so 5750 would need to be overclocked to :)

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
from what i know according to note book check, the 5870 mobility is between the 5750 and the 5770 so 5750 would need to be overclocked to :)

5870 is 0.04 TeraFlops faster ;) That's because it has 800 stream processors while 5750 has 720. No huge difference in performance though

peakchua

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2010
@hellhammer

really? how many frps really show differnces?

1. i just played cod 4 on max setitings on a gay 9400m and it was gay like nvidia:p

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
really? how many frps really show differnces?

1. i just played cod 4 on max setitings on a gay 9400m and it was gay like nvidia:p

+30FPS is smooth but most people prefer +50FPS so it's smoother in big actions. I guess the difference between 5750 and 5870 is something like 5-10 frames, not very much.

peakchua

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2010
i would still rather they put mobility 5870 :) i want to kick the 4850's butt extremely far :D the 4850 was used for 1 year.... i want improvement :)

peakchua

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2010
you guys may also not expect another sjobs pc mac price range comparison like the one with powermac g5, powerbook g4 etc. mac pro..
@hell hammer: due to the high tdp of faster i7 porcessors, do u think apple will develop a cooling system soon?

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
@hell hammer: due to the high tdp of faster i7 porcessors, do u think apple will develop a cooling system soon?

What faster i7s? 2.93GHz is the only CPU we can expect. Other i7s are LGA 1366 and have TDP of 130W so we won't see them.

peakchua

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2010
NEW LINEup :p

After intense debate from the thread participants... i have come to conclusion

3.06 ghz or (3.33ghz u never know) c2d
4gb ram
320m 256 mb (330m bto?)

3.2 ghz intel core i5 dual core (3.33 ghz upgrade?)
4gb ram
ati mobility radeon 5750

3.2 ghz intel dual core i5 (3.33ghz upgrade?)
4gb ram
ati mobility radeon 5750

2.8 ghz intel core i7
4gb memory
ati mobility radeon 5870 or desktop 5750

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.