Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
So it does need to connect to a Wifi network....

It doesn't need to be able to connect to an AP to use it for location fixing, it just needs to be able to see the SSID and lookup it's location in the database. So it can get a more accurate position based on several APs, even it it can't connect to all of them, as long as it can connect to one of them.

Other devices use the same service/system besides the EyeFi and they can get data through other sources (say a cell phone tether) and could therefore get a location fix without actually connecting to ANY wifi point, but just seeing the nearby broadcasted SSIDs.

jampat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2008
Where is there a database that links SSID to external IP (and therefore potentially location). AFAIK SSID is broadcast but that doesn't include the external IP and looking in from the external IP you can't see the SSID. Anyone know how this works?

sycho

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2006
It does not use the SSID since more then one access point can have the same SSID, it would use the MAC address of the access point since every device has a different MAC address. I don't think anything regarding the external IP would be used, since the database likely only contains MAC address and location.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
It does not use the SSID since more then one access point can have the same SSID, it would use the MAC address of the access point since every device has a different MAC address. I don't think anything regarding the external IP would be used, since the database likely only contains MAC address and location.

Just to be nit-picky, it's trivial to spoof the MAC address on many APs and almost all end-units even in infrastructure mode. Some attackers rely on this feature to man-in-the-middle wireless connections.

numbersyx

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2006
The Nikon dSLRs have been able to support GPS for years using an add-on hand-held GPS, or something like their GP-1 module. IIRC these things run around $300.

I doubt we'll see this as a built-in feature on any camera due to the relatively high expense and relatively low usefulness, but I do see it as it is now - an option that can be added if the user wants it.

51vAyeRK77L._SS400_.jpg

Wouldn't call it "low" usefulness but you make a point re: the expense and the fact that it would probably add to the bulk a little. I'm hoping that they do find a low cost alternative.

Hmac

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2007
Midwest USA
Wouldn't call it "low" usefulness but you make a point re: the expense and the fact that it would probably add to the bulk a little. I'm hoping that they do find a low cost alternative.

Well, its actual usefulness is going to be highly dependant on the individual user. From my standpoint, I'd label it ZERO usefulness since I have no interest or need for geotagging any of the images from my D3. I'm guessing that overall in the dSLR marketplace, it would be a "low usefulness" item (not much demand), but I could be wrong.

numbersyx

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2006
Well, its actual usefulness is going to be highly dependant on the individual user. From my standpoint, I'd label it ZERO usefulness since I have no interest or need for geotagging any of the images from my D3. I'm guessing that overall in the dSLR marketplace, it would be a "low usefulness" item (not much demand), but I could be wrong.

You might be right but I think it does have a useful side: particularly when you are taking vacation/travel shots. The real usefulness depends on how the software/OS companies integrate GPS into their systems. iPhoto's addition makes it an attractive option for family vacations. It is neat to press a button and see where the photo was taken on a map of the world. Let's see how other products react...

sycho

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2006
Just to be nit-picky, it's trivial to spoof the MAC address on many APs and almost all end-units even in infrastructure mode. Some attackers rely on this feature to man-in-the-middle wireless connections.

Beyond that point, the database would still use the MAC addresses, and not the SSIDs.

jbg232

macrumors 65816
Oct 15, 2007
Here is the most helpful site I found:
http://www.tuaw.com/2009/01/07/hardware-that-supports-iphoto-09s-geotagging/3#comments

I've been playing around with geo-tagging my aperture collection for the last few days and currently the two best programs I have found to do it are HoudahGeo and GPS2Aperture. If you are using iPhoto '08 then HoudahGeo seems pretty easy but then again, you are a candidate for iPhoto '09 so it doesn't matte. For aperture folks these programs have major shortcomings. My own unofficial testing revealed that HoudahGeo doesn't work except for referenced masters (which I don't exclusively have) and is a little buggy. GPS2Aperture is also buggy but does work with aperture masters in the library, however, it is much more cumbersome to use and assign geopoints to making it unfeasible in my mind.

Notably, if you are going to get a separate GPS unit and then import the trackfiles to log with your pictures then you should know the above limitations of these programs (which accomplish this task) and their integration with aperture. However, GPS2Aperture would likely be easier to use with an actual GPS device.

Personally I think the best solution at this point is remake my library exporting my photos into folders and then re-importing them as referenced masters for use with HoudahGeo but as this seems very cumbersome I am going to wait until the next aperture update to see if this feature is added. If not then I will have to re-do my whole library for this feature. How can iphoto have more features than aperture? Ugh.

EDIT: I just used maperture and it works pretty well with aperture. Only annoying thing is that I can't figure out how to see all my photos on one map but that's find for now.

MacNoobie

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2005
Colorado
I'm dying for a way to hook up my iphone 3g to a canon and have it use the gps to tag exif data in the image with gps coords. Even more so it'd be pretty cool to load smaller iphone friendly pics onto the phone after you take them while on the spot.

Knolly

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2007
I feel like I once read something like this...

You get two things, an SD Card and a separate battery powered GPS device. Basically the SD card just wireless transmitted the photos to the GPS device, which then geotagged and stored photos as you took them.

Anyone know if this actually exists? If not, someone patent that **** and make it.

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
I was looking at digital cameras with gps and also found only the nikon p6000 which is not quite what I am looking for. I have in the past used canon digital elphs, which work well for me.

Does anyone if cameras come out in a certain "season"? Like, when we could expect the new batch which hopefully will have GPS, it is CES, or a certain camera conference etc, or just random?

SteinMaster

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2009
USA
Yep, known issue. You must download the photos to get the geocoding and you must tell the phone it's ok that the camera uses the GPS. That's the extent of it.

I took photos with my iPhone and downloaded them directly into iPhoto. There is no geotagging information on my photos. Do I need to make sure something is set on the iPhone to do this? My location service is on.

Kamerynn

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2009
County Durham, UK
Slow lock on times

Hi,
Just as a note, I have the P6000 and while its a cracking camera the GPS side I find quite frustrating, It can take 4-5 minutes to get a valid satellite lock which is fine if you remember to turn the camera on 5 minutes before you want to start shooting, but not so good for those quick shots :D

Kam

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
Privacy concern/solution(s)?

Different viewpoint, privacy concern.

I can see GPS is neat to have for location tagging.
I can also see when I'd NOT want my GPS location broadcast to everyone, examples:
-My home location
-Friends home location
-etc

I don't think many of us here broadcast our complete home address, that is what GPS tagging will do.

Sure, easy to say "turn off GPS tagging", but most people forget to do basic settings.

I hope there is a easy way to "mass delete" GPS tags for groups of photos.

rusty2192

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2008
Kentucky
Eagerly awaiting release

Okay, I started this thread 12 months ago - finally this week we have some new cameras coming out. I will buy the one that hits the market first. All are projected to be on shelves by mid March:

Panasonic DMC-ZS7

Samsung HZ35W

Sony Cyber-shot® Digital Camera HX5V/B

I recently saw that these models are going to be released soon and am eagerly awaiting their arrival. I really need a new point-and-shoot camera, and I would love to have geotagging capability for my hikes and also for vacations. Hopefully there will be reviews of them as soon ad they come out as I need one by May for our honeymoon.

seenett

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 4, 2007
I'm hoping the Panasonic or Samsung is released before my vacation in March. I currently use an AMOD GPS logger and it works surprisingly well - there are just too many steps involved. The process involves copying the logs from the device (via micro-USB) onto the desktop, then importing photos into a 3rd party application like JetPhoto Studio Pro. In a few steps, JPSPro can merge the GPS data into the photos' EXIF file. Then the photos must be imported into iPhoto. To complicate things, the camera's date and time must be synchronized with the GPS logger to ensure photo to location matches. And of course my camera (Canon SX200) isn't recognized by OSX, so I have to put the SD card into the MacBook's SD card reader.

Having one of these new cameras that automatically saves GPS data in the EXIF, and that can be imported directly to iPhoto will be fantastic.

DoNoHarm

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2008
Maine
check out the replacement to the panasonic zs3, I can't remember what it's model number is, but it's an incredible camera with gps

kernkraft

macrumors 68020
Jun 25, 2009
In my opinion it is often better to ignore this feature and add the GPS tags later on. I've had so much problems with my iPhone 3G about its incapable GPS.

But otherwise, Panasonic Lumix TZ cameras are pretty good. Great lens, good features, nice pictures, long-lasting batteries. Get the best one you can buy, they are worth it.

Galarina

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2009
iPhone owners should take a look at my GeoLogTag iPhone app. It has the same functionality as a GPS data logger and if you manage your photos on a Mac, GeoLogTag also geotags them (over WiFi). All this for a fraction of the price of a GPS data logger.

Try out the free version of GeoLogTag. It's fully functional, but automatically deletes locations after 2 hours (compared to 90 days for the full version).

Jaro65

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2009
Seattle, WA
As the OP, I certainly hope that manufacturers will SOON start making GPS enabled cameras as a common feature. I am aware that certain SLR type cameras can dongle a separate GPS device that needs to be reconciled before uploading - but how convenient is that? I love the geotagging on my iPhone, but no one seriously uses their iPhone's camera for everyday pictures, do they? I just want a point and shoot camera that iPhoto (and Flickr and Google) can map to my vacation photos.

I think this is coming. We already saw some recent announcements in regards to the incorporation of GPS capability within the P&S cameras. I would really expect this to become a common feature within the next couple of years.

rumorguy

macrumors member
Dec 26, 2009
Where am I?

Whenever i take photos, i know where I am, am I doing something wrong, would GPS help? :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.