Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rusty2192

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2008
Kentucky
Thanks for the advice

iPhone owners should take a look at my GeoLogTag iPhone app. It has the same functionality as a GPS data logger and if you manage your photos on a Mac, GeoLogTag also geotags them (over WiFi). All this for a fraction of the price of a GPS data logger.

Try out the free version of GeoLogTag. It's fully functional, but automatically deletes locations after 2 hours (compared to 90 days for the full version).

Thanks for the advice. I looked into your app and it has some great reviews. After looking at it though, I realized I already have the same capabilities by combining the Motion X GPS app for my iPhone, which i already own, and GPSPhotoLinker app for my mac, which was suggested by someone (free). I just to tried it out today and it works pretty nice. I basically just use my iPhone as a data logger and then sync it up later using the GPX file the app outputs.

Again, I very much appreciate your help. I will keep your app in mind if it ever comes up again and will have no problem recommending it to other people.

As for the GPS enable cameras, I have decided to pass on these new cameras and have instead decided to get the Canon SX210 IS when it is released in March and use either my iPhone or buy a dedicated data logger for geotagging purposes. Does anyone have any experience with this line of Canon Point-and-Shoots?

seenett

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 4, 2007
As for the GPS enable cameras, I have decided to pass on these new cameras and have instead decided to get the Canon SX210 IS when it is released in March and use either my iPhone or buy a dedicated data logger for geotagging purposes. Does anyone have any experience with this line of Canon Point-and-Shoots?

Funny you should ask - I'm the OP and have been using a Canon SX200IS since they came out last May. I have been using it with my AMOD GPS logger. It is a great camera; a bit thick for a point and shoot. I think the 210 will be slimmer. My biggest complaint is that Canons don't seem to be recognized by OSX. I plug in the USB and nothing happens. Thus begins the tedious process of putting the SD card into my MBP's SD card reader and transferring manually. Then I plug in the GPS logger, and drag and drop the log files onto my desktop. I merge photos and logs with JetPhoto Studio, and transfer all to iPhoto.

I'm REALLY looking forward to getting a GPS enabled camera, most likely the Samsung HZ35W. Should be released any time now; the European version (dubbed the WB650) hit Amazon UK this week, and the user's manual was added to Samsung's support website today.

LEBj

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2007
Has anyone heard any news on GPS cameras at CES?

Casio had a prototype of a point and shoot camera with GPS at the 2010 CES.
Samsung is coming out with an interesting CMOS enabled cross between a P&S and an SLR camera. It did not have GPS though. A hot shoe model may be the better way to go as it can be moved as you upgrade your camera. And it may turn out to be a faster solution. JOBO AG puts out such a unit.

Tronic

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2009
For Nikon DSLRs there are really only a few options.

First is Nikon's aforementioned GP-1.
http://www.nikonusa.com/Find-Your-Nikon/Product/GPS/25396/GP-1-GPS-Unit.html

Second, and what I use, is the Red Hen Blue2Can.
http://www.redhensystems.com/inc/sdetail/168

Third is Foolography's Unleashed.
http://www.foolography.com/products/unleashed/

The GP-1 is rather bulky IMO, whether attached to your hot-shoe or to the camera strap. Plus it is rather slow to acquire a lock. The Blue2Can and Unleashed are bluetooth devices that plug into your 10 Pin connector and receive GPS information from a secondary GPS device that you can throw in your pocket or backpack. You can either use a full function GPS unit that has bluetooth or a small, lightweight Holux M-241 data logger.
http://www.holux.com/JCore/en/products/products_content.jsp?pno=341

The Holux M-241 combined with the Red Hen Blue2Can is a great combination for me.

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
Beyond that point, the database would still use the MAC addresses, and not the SSIDs.

That's an interesting part of this thread. I still don't understand how a wifi-based geo-tagger is gonna know where it is, if all it sees are the SSIDs from a couple of wifi networks.

Does it carry a database of millions of wifi networks? How are these databases created? Does someone drive up and down the country logging wifi networks? Don't wifi networks change all the time?

It seems that basically you have to be lucky and find a wifi network that happens to match one already registered in the memory, that still exists, and that hasn't had the router physically moved to a new location (e.g. cross country move.)

rusty2192

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2008
Kentucky
Sony first to market, reviews are good

Well, it looks like the Sony Cybershot hx5v was first to market and user reviews are slowly trickling into Amazon. They have so far been really good. Everyone has liked the GPS function and said it's quick. The Panasonic Lumix ZS7 looks to be released any day now.

I still haven't decided which camera I want to get. I would love the built in gps of these three, but it almost seems like you have to sacrifice some quality and/or features to get the gps as compared to the likes of the new Canon Powershot SX210 IS that is soon to be released.

I just returned from a trip to the Great Smoky Mountains National Park and used the Motion X gps app on my iPhone 3Gs to track my location on our hikes then merged that data with my photos in GPSPhotoLinker and it actually worker really well, but still a few steps.

chrisbb

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2008
does anyone know of a point and shoot camera with GPS/geo-tagging features?

Thanks.
C

seenett

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 4, 2007
My Samsung HZ35W arrived tonight from J&R via Amazon. Going to play with it and check out the geotagging right now.....

infosprt

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2007
Temecula, CA
I downloaded many photos to the iPad yesterday and am very impressed with the new "places" capability of the iPad and iPhone (3G and later). The "places" feature on the iPad I feel is going to give a big boost to GPS enabled cameras.

I am looking for small point and shoot camera with optical zoom 8x or better with a built in GPS and will review all the posts on this thread for recommendations. In the meantime if you know of a nice one less than $300 please post it here.

Thank you.

infosprt

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2007
Temecula, CA
I was going to post a new question about this, but then I saw this post, so I'll ask here:

I'm checking out the new iLife '09 and I like the geotagging support in iPhoto. I figure that if I take a quick pic with my iPhone 3G before I start shooting with my dSLR at each location, then when I import my photos I'll have the geotagged iPhone pic and then a series of dSLR shots. I can then manually add the geotag data to my "real" photos.

I just took a test shot with my iPhone (I never use the camera on it), emailed it to myself (I'm at work, on a PC), and opened the file in Photoshop. I can't see any GPS data in the EXIF data. Am I doing something wrong?

EDIT: Ok, I think I know what's up. I assume emailing a photo file strips it of geotag data?

I tried yesterday emailing photos from the iPhone and the geo tag data was present. If you are using Windows you can right click on a photo then go into "properties" then "details" and it will show all the EXIF data.

timbos

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2009
Aperture 3 has an option to import GPS data from an iPhone. You can take a shot with your iPhone at the start/end of a shoot and Aperture will add that data to photos that you took with another camera at the same time.

Graceygirl

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2010
samsung st1000

the samsung st1000 has gps, wifi connectivity and bluetooth. Picked one up 2 months ago for a overseas trip, point and shoot, the whole back is touchscreen and I think its definity worth the price. :D love using places on iphoto

infosprt

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2007
Temecula, CA
I purchased the Panasonic ZS7. I love this camera. It takes great movies, has a GPS, and 12 Meg Pixel camera. You can get it for around $280 on Amazon.

If anyone is interested I can post some pictures.

Also, it works perfectly with the iPad. Although it is hard to get them off the iPad since you pretty much have to do it via email.

One glitch I noticed that I think will be fixed in iOS4 real time is the preservation of the EXIF data when a photo is resized on the iPad. Currently with the iPad you must copy and paste a pic into an email if you wish to preserve the EXIF data. The iPhone 4 preserves the EXIF data on a resize. The geo data is part of the EXIF data.

infosprt

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2007
Temecula, CA
I took photos with my iPhone and downloaded them directly into iPhoto. There is no geotagging information on my photos. Do I need to make sure something is set on the iPhone to do this? My location service is on.

The iPhone is stripping out the geo information when it resizes the pic for email. You should be able to get around the problem by using copy and paste of the pic into an email.

jbg232

macrumors 65816
Oct 15, 2007
Still none, actually even less than before. The problem is that GPS uses too much battery and is slow to come on making it pretty painful to use currently.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.