Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

heyp

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2008
yep still works for me too... i'm on 2.0.1 and whatever the latest box office version was before it got pulled... i hope it comes back so they can continue to add to it... it's great

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
Fortunately, i looked into those conditions and requirements before writing boxoffice. RT, for example, has syndication feeds that it explicitly allows you to use (including the tomatometer).

The one thing I didn't like about your app was the tomato meter. sorry but I don't need tomato icons on in the list of movies, unless it is a preference that can be toggled off. However I haven't used your app much as my 7 month old keeps us from going to a lot of movies right now.

wok

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2006
The one thing I didn't like about your app was the tomato meter. sorry but I don't need tomato icons on in the list of movies, unless it is a preference that can be toggled off. However I haven't used your app much as my 7 month old keeps us from going to a lot of movies right now.

The dev added the ability to toggle between RT/metacritic and "off" in the latest version. Love this app and hope it gets back in the appstore soon!

thestaton

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2006
this is the only app that I use on a daily base that I realllly enjoy. this had better be put back up asap.

I thought 2.0 would keep me from wanting to jail break my phone, but if apple keeps this garbage up, it's only a matter of time

ZombiePete

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
San Antonio, TX
BoxOffice is without a doubt one of the better apps I have downloaded. Personally, I like the Rotten Tomatoes feature, and the trailers and stuff are really just icing on the cake to me. Hope it gets back on the App Store soon!

Metasyntactic

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2008

You can change the ratings provider to Metacritic in 1.2, and you can turn ratings off altogether in 1.3.

Cheers!

Randman

macrumors 65816
Jul 28, 2008
Jacksonville, Fla
Any of the movie apps that don't allow for online ticket booking are failures.

Movies lets me book tickets but Box office (while it was up) and OneTap Movies always said online booking not available.

Metasyntactic

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2008

Movies lets me book tickets but Box office (while it was up) and OneTap Movies always said online booking not available.
BoxOffice will let you rder tickets through Fandango. Unfortunatley, Fandango and MovieTickets.com have exclusivity agreements that limits an app/site from offering both facilities. If you know of a way to license data from both and offer ticketing for both, please let me know.

thestaton

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2006
BoxOffice will let you rder tickets through Fandango. Unfortunatley, Fandango and MovieTickets.com have exclusivity agreements that limits an app/site from offering both facilities. If you know of a way to license data from both and offer ticketing for both, please let me know.

Can you make two apps? Call one Box Office - Fandango and one Box Office - Movie Tix?

Metasyntactic

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2008
No. The exclusivity agreement prevents that.

Actually... i could. But the cost would be *staggering*. There's no way i could ever afford it. And, if i charged for the app, then i wouldn't have access to the data that is available for non-commercial usage. So, if you're ok with paying a lot... i could do it. But i want to leave the app free.

AHDuke99

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2002
Charleston, SC
Is Fandango making a native app for the AppStore at any point? I am still able to use BoxOffice luckily, but it would be nice to see something return eventually.

Metasyntactic

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2008
Is Fandango making a native app for the AppStore at any point? I am still able to use BoxOffice luckily, but it would be nice to see something return eventually.

I have been in talks with fandango about making them an App. No plans/timelines yet.

L. Ron Hoover

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2008
I think Apple probably disliked the "Donations" feature. If the developer is going to get any money, they want their 30%. ;)

IgnatiusTheKing

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2007
Texas
BoxOffice is now called "Now Playing".

I love this app, but mine now crashes after 10-15 seconds (like others have reported).

Metasyntactic: any word yet on when the new version will be available? Good luck getting everything sorted out.

JimmyCorrigan

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2008
Ugggh my phone crashed and now box office has vanished! WTF? This is such garbage that I can't download it again...

ricperry1

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2008
Furthermore, all the data i use is licensed by the owners as 'free for non commercial use'. i.e. precisely what BoxOffice is.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but by posting "BoxOffice" in the Apple iTunes store (free or not!), your app is skirting the non-commercial use clause. Apple have probably taken a "better-safe-than-sorry" approach to your application because it is in a gray area. Having said that, I was able to download your app before it was removed from the store, and I think it is a cool app.

lordhamster

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2008

I've never felt the urge to order movie tickets. At our local cinemas "Cinemark" if there is a large line, you can actually walk up to the internet ticket pickup machine (where you would pick up your ticket) and you can buy a ticket right there, minus the fandango fee.

Not much point. Now if I lived in New York where every theater always has huge lines and no self-serve machines, I'd definitely buy ahead.

nfg315

macrumors regular
Feb 13, 2008
NYC
I've never felt the urge to order movie tickets. At our local cinemas "Cinemark" if there is a large line, you can actually walk up to the internet ticket pickup machine (where you would pick up your ticket) and you can buy a ticket right there, minus the fandango fee.

Not much point. Now if I lived in New York where every theater always has huge lines and no self-serve machines, I'd definitely buy ahead.

i'm in nyc, there are self-serve machines, but the lines are sometimes just as long as the cashiers...it's really not a big deal to just use safari vs. the app to buy tickets though

seanwscottster

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2008
Possible Reasons and a question.

I thought that there was a dashboard widget equivalent to BoxOffice. The one I saw looked identical to the iphone ap. If so where can I find it? And... in my search for the widget I came across other programs named BoxOffice as well as Now Playing. Could this be a simple matter of name confusion, trade mark, or unfair competition issues? Have you tried resubmitting the ap under a new distinct and unique name? Just my two cents.

BTW nice job with the ap... it appears that a lot of people love it and use it, including me. Thanks!

o JRoD o

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2007
Wisconsin
I'm also hoping this shows up in the app store again soon. I enjoyed this app a lot. Hopefully this gets worked out.

genetic

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2008
Meta, any update on box office coming back to the app store? This is my favorite app in the store seeing as im at the movie theater almost every weekend. <3 movies!!! :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.