Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Che Castro

macrumors 603
May 21, 2009
Now I'm confused

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/iphone-6s-a9-samsung-vs-tsmc,30306.html

Based on the results of our testing, it's clear that both versions of Apple's A9 SoC deliver the same level of performance, but Samsung's 14nm FinFET process appears to offer slightly better power efficiency, extending battery life between 3.5-10.8 percent. This is a little more than the 2-3 percent quoted by Apple, but not much, and it equates to only about 5-15 minutes of runtime under the most extreme conditions.

CraigGB

macrumors regular
May 30, 2010
Now I'm confused

Based on the results of our testing, it's clear that both versions of Apple's A9 SoC deliver the same level of performance, but Samsung's 14nm FinFET process appears to offer slightly better power efficiency, extending battery life between 3.5-10.8 percent. This is a little more than the 2-3 percent quoted by Apple, but not much, and it equates to only about 5-15 minutes of runtime under the most extreme conditions.

uh what.. now you've confused me too :p

what is going on :confused:

maybe the samsung is the better one this week, seems to swap every week :p

eric3312

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2012
Now I'm confused

Now, all the people who returned their Samsung chip phones to get a TSMC chip phone are going to return their TSMC chip phones to try to get the Samsung one back!

Wakka wakka wakka!

Last edited:

CraigGB

macrumors regular
May 30, 2010
Now, all the people who returned their Samsung chip phones to get a TSMC chip phone are going to return their TSMC chip phones and try to get the Samsung one back!

Wakka wakka wakka!

you can count on it :p, oh and btw, didn't you ask about the lirum app the other day?, hopefully I have the right person, hope things are better with that whole situation and it didn't stop you enjoying your phone too much :)

Reactions: Kris28 and eric3312

eric3312

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2012
you can count on it :p, oh and btw, didn't you ask about the lirum app the other day?, hopefully I have the right person, hope things are better with that whole situation and it didn't stop you enjoying your phone too much :)

Yes I am enjoying my phone. Thanks for your feedback and kind words.

Reactions: CraigGB

Dented

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2009
Now I'm confused

Perfection! LMAO!

eric3312

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2012
Perfection! LMAO!

Sounds like a thorough analysis too. I'm not an expert on the matter but the explanations of everything seemed pretty good to me.

Looks like they did their homework and really put time and attention into making the tests thorough, and as close to real life as they could.

Reactions: brianjsw

Dented

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2009
Sounds like a thorough analysis too. I'm not an expert on the matter but the explanations of everything seemed pretty good to me.

Looks like they did their homework and really put time and attention into making the tests thorough, and as close to real life as they could.
It's very credible, and it's once again flagging this Geekbench test (however many times its run) as pretty spurious.

Reactions: eric3312

iEs

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2010
Safari
Your lives will be better if you just don't bother checking which chip you have. It's a new iPhone release and you've got that brand new lovely device in your hands so, just enjoy it!
But if you notice your battery draining faster than usual, try restoring to factory settings via iTunes and set up as new. Use it how you would! Enjoy life! Capture moments with your 12mp camera! Browse the web! After couple of days usage and if the battery problem isn't fixed, then, take it back to Apple!

Reactions: evorc and CraigGB

Simacca

macrumors 65816
Jul 31, 2008
UK, South East.
Now I'm confused

Now it's samsung's turn to revel in the iPhone chip glory!!

Sywofp

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2015
Now I'm confused

Interestingly, they didn't test battery life with Geekbench, which seems like a huge oversight, since that is what caused the debate in the first place.

Arstechnica did, and while their results with other benchmarks were similar to Toms, the Geekbench tests matched what others have found.

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2015/10/samsung-vs-tsmc-comparing-the-battery-life-of-two-apple-a9s/

So, the question is (IMO) - WHY does the geekbench battery test fare so badly on the Samsung chip?
And are there any real world uses (however uncommon) where users will see the difference?

Reactions: Kris28

Dented

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2009
Interestingly, they didn't test battery life with Geekbench, which seems like a huge oversight, since that is what caused the debate in the first place.

I read that as quite deliberate - they have a consistent approach to this kind of testing which they always apply, they think is a good measure of "real world", and which doesn't happen to include Geekbench.

Geekbench is just one of various artificial tests, and the only one returning the sort of results that it's returning. The longer this goes on the more the performance of that test is starting to look suspect rather than the chip.

Sywofp

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2015
I read that as quite deliberate - they have a consistent approach to this kind of testing which they always apply, they think is a good measure of "real world", and which doesn't happen to include Geekbench.

Geekbench is just one of various artificial tests, and the only one returning the sort of results that it's returning. The longer this goes on the more the performance of that test is starting to look suspect rather than the chip.

Absolutely. Which IMO is why it is a shame they didn't test those results for themselves, and try and figure out what is causing the difference and if the test is suspect.

I have a chemistry background, and to me, the weird outlier result is usually the most interesting.

Ignoring it is always an option, but figuring out what caused the outlier is the only way to ensure your overall testing conclusions are accurate.

iAstonish

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2015

I been saying it all along it pretty clear that when the Galaxy s6 battery benchmark is better than the 6 plus that the test doesn't mean ****.

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
The solution is to get both then whatever the internet says is the best chip that day you can carry that phone around :). Too me, at the end of the day, I don't think there is a true winner. Probably more variation of other factors.

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
At this point don't bother to find out and enjoy. If you get a TCMP it will be worse today and better tomorrow and this flip flop for awhile.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.