Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What is your SE 2022 color of choice?

• Product Red

Votes: 13 24.5%
  • Starlight (off-white)

Votes: 17 32.1%
  • Midnight (dark navy)

Votes: 23 43.4%

• Total voters

rr23

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 24, 2021
I’m curious, since there’s no black this time around. I’ve seen many reviewers refer to Midnight as black. But if you view it in AR mode on Apple’s website, you can clearly see that it’s a dark navy blue. Definitely not black.

Reactions: 5105973

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
Is Midnight a Dark Navy? I don’t see any blue tones.

I find it slightly funny that Apple is advertising iPhone SE as having three new colors when it’s an insignificant change.

rr23

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 24, 2021
Is Midnight a Dark Navy? I don’t see any blue tones.

I find it slightly funny that Apple is advertising iPhone SE as having three new colors when it’s an insignificant change.

Yes, it is dark navy blue.

You may not notice it in the photos, but if you go to your local Apple store and look at the “midnight” iPhone 13, you will clearly see that it’s a dark rich blue.

I know a lot of folks are confused because they are convinced the phone is black (or dark graphite). It’s neither.

Reactions: snipr125

sorgo †

Cancelled
Feb 16, 2016
Starlight…I’m a sucker for that unbleached cotton tone, even though I usually go for the darkest color

Reactions: LFC2020

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
Starlight…I’m a sucker for that unbleached cotton tone, even though I usually go for the darkest color
Has more of a cream vibe to it, prefer the white on the SE 2.

1646961545163.jpeg

lkalliance

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2015
My wife is considering either the SE 2022 or the 13 mini. Whichever she gets, guaranteed she’ll do red.

I have a 13 mini in blue, my favorite color and I love the 13’s shade of it. But my previous SE 2020 I got in red, and she was somewhat scandalized. That’s her color! But I had a good reason, I swear. Here was the case I knew I was going to get:

DF8DFAE6-DED0-4D06-BDB6-6635A2A60FA8.jpeg

If I had gotten white, then I knew the case would discolor over time differently than the phone. But the red went great with the seams!

janeauburn

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2015
White. Matches all cases. No fingerprint smudges. Looks cleaner.

If it's more of a cream color, all the better.

That's said, they're all black on the front, so there's really only one color unless you spend a lot of time looking at the back. I never have.

Getting a red case because I like to be able to easily see my phone when it's lying around. Black blends in too easily.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5105973

rr23

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 24, 2021
I’ve owned every single iPhone since the iPhone 3G. I never used a case on any of them. So color is very important to me lol

janeauburn

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2015
I’ve owned every single iPhone since the iPhone 3G. I never used a case on any of them. So color is very important to me lol

If color were important to me, I'd consider the color choices here to be the worst "feature" of this model. Black, white, and red. Pretty boring.

I suspect that for Apple, boring colors is a "feature," as it probably cuts down on returns from people who can't decide which color to get.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I’ve got an iPhone 11 I’m super happy with so I’m not planning on preordering this now, but at some point I might trade in a 64 gb iPhone XR I got for free from my carrier for one. But the last SE 2 I had, my eyes got strain from the display so I would need to see these in person first. I’m also going to see if there are any rumors of reviving the 8 Plus design as a larger SE3. I doubt it will happen but I am curious.

As far as colors go, I like starlight and red.

rr23

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 24, 2021
I’ve posted this elsewhere and hope it helps, here are screenshots from Apple’s comparison page that show the subtle color changes from Se2 to SE3:

View attachment 1971583 View attachment 1971581 View attachment 1971582

That SE3 red definitely looks better than the SE2. It’s slightly darker, almost Imola-like. Love it.

I preordered the midnight this morning. Now I’m second-guessing myself. Maybe I should have gone for the red.

I’m not sure how quickly the red appeal would fade, if at all.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Cannot tell if the red is like the SE2 which would be an instant buy for me. If not, then starlight.
If you look at the screenshot I posted of the comparison page on Apple’s site, it’s now a deeper richer red. I like it better now but know from experience with a deep red iPhone 8 Plus that it might not show through a clear case as well as the previous lighter SE2 shade did.

janeauburn

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2015
That SE3 red definitely looks better than the SE2. It’s slightly darker, almost Imola-like. Love it.

I preordered the midnight this morning. Now I’m second-guessing myself. Maybe I should have gone for the red.

I’m not sure how quickly the red appeal would fade, if at all.

Red is a very emotional color, and the emotion is not one that everyone wants to carry around: emergency, anger, danger. It's a color that raises the blood pressure a bit, so to speak. Not everyone wants that.

You made the right choice.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Yeah, I like that creaminess—it feels a tad more warm and natural and less clinical/cold/pristine. I see what you mean, though :)
I normally go bonkers for Product Red, but I really love my Starlight Apple Watch and actually prefer my husband’s Starlight iPad mini to my Purple one…which I once thought would be impossible. And normally, for phones, I’d prefer the crisp white and silver of the previous generation. But I have found Starlight to be a very soothing neutral color. I didn’t expect to be so drawn to it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.