Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sgadher

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2012
Hi All

Need some advice please, scrolled through the thread and don't think anyone has posted similar.

I need a hub for the following:

Macbook Pro 2017 15"
LG C1 48"

and need the following ports:

HDMI (1 port minimum)
Gigabit Ethernet
87W power delivery (with or without using Apple charger)
USB-C Connector / Thunderbolt 3 Connector (to charge iPhone/ipad etc)
USB-A Connector (to charge iPhone/ipad etc)

I don't need SD or micro SD, nor multiple monitor setup.

I'm looking at the Anker Powercore 8 in 1 or the Caldigit Ts3 Plus. Obvious difference in price but if the Caldigit is worth it then I will go for it.

Anker - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Anker-PowerExpand-Adapter-Delivery-Ethernet-Gray/dp/B087QZVQJX
Caldigit - https://www.caldigit.com/ts3-plus/

Any thoughts? Or other suggested recommendations?

Thanks

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
LG C1 48" support HDMI 2.1.

The best thing to get would be a Thunderbolt dock that support DisplayPort 1.4.

CalDigit is limited to DisplayPort 1.2. Not the best if you want a chance to use some HDMI 2.1 capabilities with an adapter (if Apple ever fixes HDMI 2.1 support in macOS).
DisportPort 1.2 can at least do HDR to DisplayPort display or HDMI display with an adapter so maybe it's good enough.
CalDigit uses a PCIe Ethernet controller chip. It's probably better than the USB Ethernet adapter that the Anker uses.
With a DisplayPort output, the CalDigit lets you choose what HDMI converter chip to use.
CalDigit has four separate USB controllers.

The Anker is USB-C, not Thunderbolt. I don't know what HDMI converter chip it uses. It might not support HDR since it's not mentioned. It is definitely limited to HDMI 2.0.

Reactions: Botts85

sgadher

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2012
LG C1 48" support HDMI 2.1.

The best thing to get would be a Thunderbolt dock that support DisplayPort 1.4.

CalDigit is limited to DisplayPort 1.2. Not the best if you want a chance to use some HDMI 2.1 capabilities with an adapter (if Apple ever fixes HDMI 2.1 support in macOS).
DisportPort 1.2 can at least do HDR to DisplayPort display or HDMI display with an adapter so maybe it's good enough.
CalDigit uses a PCIe Ethernet controller chip. It's probably better than the USB Ethernet adapter that the Anker uses.
With a DisplayPort output, the CalDigit lets you choose what HDMI converter chip to use.
CalDigit has four separate USB controllers.

The Anker is USB-C, not Thunderbolt. I don't know what HDMI converter chip it uses. It might not support HDR since it's not mentioned. It is definitely limited to HDMI 2.0.
Thanks Joevt for your reply. Dare I ask it, but what would you recommend in light of my requirements? I did take a look at the Caldigit USB-C HDMI dock (https://www.caldigit.com/usb-c-hdmi-dock/) which I thought looks like a good option but in light of what you mentioned with HDMI 2.1, are there any recommendations?

I should add HDMI 2.1 is not a dealbreaker as I only game on my xbox series x.

Thanks

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
The CalDigit USB-C HDMI DOCK appears to be a Thunderbolt 3 dock with the downstream Thunderbolt 3 port replaced with a HDMI port (that's the only way to get two display outputs from a single dock for macOS). Both HDMI ports use a DisplayPort to HDMI converter. I don't know if they support HDR. They're supposed to support HDMI 2.0b but HDR might not work in macOS without a firmware update. I don't know because I haven't tried it.

For example, I needed a firmware update for the CAC-1080 and CAC-1085 and Cable Matters 201388 for macOS to show the HDR option.
CalDigit did not have a firmware update for the CalDigit USB-C SOHO Dock.
https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...ransfers-recommendation.2278473/post-29466205

I prefer DisplayPort outputs because I can connect DisplayPort displays and choose what HDMI adapter to use for HDMI displays.

If you don't care about HDR or DisplayPort then go for the CalDigit USB-C HDMI DOCK.

sgadher

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2012
The CalDigit USB-C HDMI DOCK appears to be a Thunderbolt 3 dock with the downstream Thunderbolt 3 port replaced with a HDMI port (that's the only way to get two display outputs from a single dock for macOS). Both HDMI ports use a DisplayPort to HDMI converter. I don't know if they support HDR. They're supposed to support HDMI 2.0b but HDR might not work in macOS without a firmware update. I don't know because I haven't tried it.

For example, I needed a firmware update for the CAC-1080 and CAC-1085 and Cable Matters 201388 for macOS to show the HDR option.
CalDigit did not have a firmware update for the CalDigit USB-C SOHO Dock.
https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...ransfers-recommendation.2278473/post-29466205

I prefer DisplayPort outputs because I can connect DisplayPort displays and choose what HDMI adapter to use for HDMI displays.

If you don't care about HDR or DisplayPort then go for the CalDigit USB-C HDMI DOCK.
Thanks Joevt, I just noticed the TS3 plus has DisplayPort rather than an HDMI port and I'm not keen on spending more money for a dongle considering the price of the TS3 to begin with.

I am leaning towards the Caldigit USB-C HDMI dock but it appears out of stock at Caldigit and the same goes for Amazon UK. Should I look at any other product or wait for it to come back in stock?

ps. not concerned about HDR or DisplayPort as my gaming solely takes place on a xbox series x.

Thanks

lesliegolf

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2008
Southern California
Hey folks!

I have something quite specific and hope you can help.

I moved to the 16 M1 Max and in the process two different USB C hubs I use no longer work. After a call with Apple they have confirmed this is an issue but also cannot provide any recommendations of a replacement hub that will work with M1.

I find it a little humorous I will be using more dongles with my new Mac than my 2016 unless I can find a USB C Hub that will work with my M1 that has....

Ethernet

VGA

HDMI (as a backup)

Extra USB ports would be nice but are usually part of a hub usually.

Portable I can bounce room to room during the day with sometimes only 15 minutes between presentations.

Also, this is a heads up that if you got a new M1 check your hub to make sure it still works. I am a conference presenter and I have a feeling a lot of fellow presenters who just upgraded will be wandering into conferences without knowing their hubs possibly no longer work.

Any help would be appreciated. I hit the road Monday and do not want to randomly buy hubs on Amazon and hope they work on my new MBP.

Thanks!

Last edited:

carestudio

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2008
Ethernet

VGA

HDMI (as a backup)

Extra USB ports would be nice but are usually part of a hub usually.

Portable I can bounce room to room during the day with sometimes only 15 minutes between presentations.
have you tried apple's usb-c multiport HDMI hub?

and you need another usb-c multiport VGA hub

and usb-c to ethernet dongle

above should meet your need if you want the portable solutions. I just tried apple's C-multiport HDMI hub last night with my new M1 Max , and it worked just fine.

kong85

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2011
Singapore
Hi guys, looking for a Thunderbolt hub/dock for my new MBP M1 Pro and wondering if you had any suggestions.

Requirements: gigabit ethernet, 2x USB-A, thunderbolt for one display 4k at 60hz (Dell U2720Q with 90W PD).

I'm looking for something compact without its own power supply. Ideally something I can plug into the MBP with a single cable to charge, output 4k at 60hz back to the monitor, with gigabit ethernet, and a couple of USB-A ports.

All the decent thunderbolt docks I've looked at (OWC, Caldigit) seem like overkill (too big with too many ports and come with their own PSU).

Is there one I've missed? Thanks in advance!

carestudio

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2008
Hi guys, looking for a Thunderbolt hub/dock for my new MBP M1 Pro and wondering if you had any suggestions.

Requirements: gigabit ethernet, 2x USB-A, thunderbolt for one display 4k at 60hz (Dell U2720Q with 90W PD).

I'm looking for something compact without its own power supply. Ideally something I can plug into the MBP with a single cable to charge, output 4k at 60hz back to the monitor, with gigabit ethernet, and a couple of USB-A ports.

All the decent thunderbolt docks I've looked at (OWC, Caldigit) seem like overkill (too big with too many ports and come with their own PSU).

Take a look at this https://www.apple.com/shop/product/HMX02ZM/A/caldigit-thunderbolt-3-mini-dock
it's compact, bus powered, 1x USB-A 3.0, and 1x USB-A 2.0, two HDMIs, 1x GbE.

kong85

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2011
Singapore
Take a look at this https://www.apple.com/shop/product/HMX02ZM/A/caldigit-thunderbolt-3-mini-dock
it's compact, bus powered, 1x USB-A 3.0, and 1x USB-A 2.0, two HDMIs, 1x GbE.
Thanks! I did see this, but I'm looking for something that uses USB-C /thunderbolt interface to the monitor (rather than HDMI). Does anything compact / bus powered like that exist?

Probably worth mentioning I use one of the monitor's USB-A ports for my webcam, so need to use the USB-C /thunderbolt port on the monitor to connect to the MBP for this to work.

carestudio

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2008
Thanks! I did see this, but I'm looking for something that uses USB-C /thunderbolt interface to the monitor (rather than HDMI). Does anything compact / bus powered like that exist?

Probably worth mentioning I use one of the monitor's USB-A ports for my webcam, so need to use the USB-C /thunderbolt port on the monitor to connect to the MBP for this to work.
oh, if you need one extra thunderbolt port, I am afraid that you need a dock or hub that has its own power supply. Take a look at Caldigit TB4 Element hub, 4x USB-A and 4x TB4. Downside is you need to use your own usb-c to gigabit dongle like Belkin's, but the hub itself is compact and works perfectly with the new M1 Max.

kong85

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2011
Singapore
oh, if you need one extra thunderbolt port, I am afraid that you need a dock or hub that has its own power supply. Take a look at Caldigit TB4 Element hub, 4x USB-A and 4x TB4. Downside is you need to use your own usb-c to gigabit dongle like Belkin's, but the hub itself is compact and works perfectly with the new M1 Max.
OK got it, thanks! I already have the Belkin gigabit dongle so might work well together. Will take a look.

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region

D-link: Element Thunderbolt 4 hub

nick.277

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2021
Hi,

I am looking for a USB hub with primarily USB-c connectors -- at least 4 USB-c ports,
I have no use case for HDMI or USB-micro and limited need for only a single USB-a port.

I use a current MacBook Pro (2 of them) connected with 2 LG UltraFine 4k monitors, they have USB-c ports integrated in the back of them but looking for further expansion.

Also if theres a KVM option even greater!
I was disappointed when I purchased the IOgear Access Pro 2, I knew it wouldn't support dual monitors but had expected at least 2 MacBook Pros later only to find out the secondary device can only be a iPhone or iPad...

I'm interested in suggestions, thank you all.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
I have a few Thunderbolt 2 drives with a miniDisplayPort plug. Looks like I can daisy-chain them to one another but I do need a dock with Thunderbolt 2 to USB-C. I see that I can get a $60 Apple adapter but I'd rather keep the setup as simple as possible so I can use just one cable at my desk and not have a rats nest of adapters.

Are there any Thunderbolt 2 hubs that also have CFexpress, Ethernet, HDMI and the common assortment of USB-A and USB-C ports?

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
I have a few Thunderbolt 2 drives with a miniDisplayPort plug. Looks like I can daisy-chain them to one another but I do need a dock with Thunderbolt 2 to USB-C. I see that I can get a $60 Apple adapter but I'd rather keep the setup as simple as possible so I can use just one cable at my desk and not have a rats nest of adapters.

Are there any Thunderbolt 2 hubs that also have CFexpress, Ethernet, HDMI and the common assortment of USB-A and USB-C ports?
No Thunderbolt 2 device is going to have USB-C.
If one of your Thunderbolt 2 drives has two Thunderbolt 2 ports and its own power supply then get a Thunderbolt 3 dock and the Apple adapter.
A Thunderbolt 3 dock can add support for USB 10 Gbps speed.

A Thunderbolt 4 dock might work but I'm not sure. It doesn't work with Thunderbolt 1. It might not work with Thunderbolt 2 but I think at least one person said it did. I don't have a Thunderbolt 2 Mac to test. You'll need to use Big Sur to get full support from a Thunderbolt 4 dock.

Reactions: ipedro

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
No Thunderbolt 2 device is going to have USB-C.
If one of your Thunderbolt 2 drives has two Thunderbolt 2 ports and its own power supply then get a Thunderbolt 3 dock and the Apple adapter.
A Thunderbolt 3 dock can add support for USB 10 Gbps speed.

A Thunderbolt 4 dock might work but I'm not sure. It doesn't work with Thunderbolt 1. It might not work with Thunderbolt 2 but I think at least one person said it did. I don't have a Thunderbolt 2 Mac to test. You'll need to use Big Sur to get full support from a Thunderbolt 4 dock.

This is a great idea. Thanks.

EDIT: Wouldn’t this work?

AC9D3A61-DE4C-4878-974E-10C34C0D3E1D.jpeg

One of my Thunderbolt drives plugs into the Thunderbolt port in this OWC hub and then I run a USB type A to USB-C cable into my Mac?

Last edited:

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012

View attachment 1922272

One of my Thunderbolt drives plugs into the Thunderbolt port in this OWC hub and then I run a USB type A to USB-C cable into my Mac?
You said you wanted a dock with USB-C ports. Thunderbolt 2 docks don't have USB-C ports.

To connect a Thunderbolt 2 dock to a Mac with Thunderbolt 3 ports, you must use a Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter and a Thunderbolt 2 cable between the adapter and the dock.

Botts85

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2007
I take it your Mac is TB2 only and doesn't support TB3? Does your USB-C need Power Delivery? Or just standard USB 3 with a USB-C end?

That might be impossible to find. I sold mine a couple months back for $80 more than I paid for it in 2015.
No, yes, yes, yes, no.

If you're going to end up spending $300+ on a used OWC Thunderbolt 2 dock, put that money towards an M1. It'll smoke any Mac with TB2.

nick.277

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2021
Are there any Thunderbolt docks which support dual LG UltraFine 5K monitors?
Assuming this would be Thunderbolt 4?

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
Are there any Thunderbolt docks which support dual LG UltraFine 5K monitors?
LG UltraFine 5K uses two DisplayPort connections for 5K60 (each connection is 2560x2880)
A Thunderbolt port can only have two DisplayPort connections.
Therefore you need to force the LG UltraFine 5K to use a single DisplayPort connection if you want to connect two of them (use a bi directional DisplayPort to USB-C cable or a 20 Gbps Thunderbolt/USB-C cable)
With a single DisplayPort connection, the LG UltraFine 5K can do 4K60 or maybe 5K39 (only one person has reported trying 5K39 - I would like to see other people try).

If you had a Thunderbolt 3 or Thunderbolt 4 port connected to a GPU that supports DisplayPort 1.4 and DSC, then you could connect two 6K60 Apple Pro Display XDR displays. This is because DSC reduces bpp from 30 (that the LG UltraFine 5K uses) down to 12.

I would like to see an adapter that can take 5K60 DSC input and outputs two DisplayPort signals that can work with the LG UltraFine 5K (not an MST Hub since macOS doesn't support MST for multiple displays and each stream subtracts from the total allowed - I am thinking of something that is more like a video wall processor). Then you could connect twice as many LG UltraFine 5K displays.

carestudio

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2008

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
I'm looking for something that offers two HDMI 4k/60hz and some USB A ports and passthrough power for my M1 Max.

One HDMI, one (mini)Display Port that delivers 4k/60 would also work!

The Caldigit USBC-HDMI would be perfect (though crazy expensive for what it would do for me), but it's unavailable in Germany.
Any other ideas?

carestudio

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2008
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.